System
79987 Posts
18 years, 2 months ago
ok, I may be completely out of my gourd on this one, but I remember a commercial featuring a product called "Fiji Fruits"

I've had this jingle stuck in my head since I was a little boy, and I cannot find a single reference to the snack at all!!!

Mind you this may be a Canadian only product, but I dont think so.

I think the jingle goes: *sung in a deep male jamician accent*

"Come to the island of fiji fruits, come to the island of fiji fruits.. Feeeee Geeeee Fuits!!!!.. There's lots and lots in every pack, (from here on in, the rest is speculation) *insert words here*-----> dee dee dum dooo doo deee dum... - a healthy snack!!"

Please help cure my insanity!!

:shock:
    System
    79987 Posts
    18 years, 2 months ago
    common!!! no one remembers this?!!?
      System
      79987 Posts
      18 years, 2 months ago
      upon further investigation.. I've determined they do exist!!!

http://members.boardhost.com/shaderock/msg/3022.html (3/4's down the first post)
      At this point even decade-old Fiji fruits or Bonkers would be a better sell to the children of Lopatcong.

http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=5044&st=0 (post #8 )

Know what candy I miss the most? Fiji Fruits. If any of you remember these, I would be shocked. You can't even find a mention of them on the web. But if someone were to produce a box from the early 90's, you can be sure that I would eat them stale...

i need that jingle people!!
        4 years, 3 months ago
        I'm not crazy!! This jingle pops into my head periodically as well. Just wanted you to know that I'm searching for answers as well.
          zarbend
          3 Posts
          3 years, 9 months ago
          i got here because i was looking for this as well. it was like some Lord of the Flies of candy mixed with Children of the Corn.

"There's lots and lots in every box and they don't take no one over 21."
            zarbend
            3 Posts
            3 years, 9 months ago
            also: it is "the Island of Fiji Fruits" where the kids go when they eat the candy. only children can go there. i guess they eat candy all day. i have watched a bunch of old VHS tapes (and on youtube) to find this.

i guess if you are busted with the candy and the adults eat it they cannot transport to the Island of Fiji Fruits if they are 21 or older
              zarbend
              3 Posts
              3 years, 9 months ago
              "adults can't eat the tropic sweet"
                halo
                1 Posts
                2 years, 10 months ago
                OMG, somebody else remembers this commercial! For the last 30+ years I've had this image stuck in my head of kids running around a tropical island eating fruit candy and having the best time of their lives. I was beginning to think I'd made it up. A copy has to exist on an old VHS tape in someone's basement ...
                  Robledrew
                  1 Posts
                  2 months ago
                  I've been singing this song for decades. I've reached out to several industry insiders and nobody has been able to source the commercial. I'll be so happy if anyone ever digs it up.

I made this account just to post this.
                    1 month ago
                    You're not the only one. I clearly remember this commercial being aired around 1987 in Philadelphia, PA

"Come to the island of Fiji Fruits!
                    Come to the island of Fiji Fruits!
                    Fiji Fruits!

(this part may be wrong but)

Lots of fun, in the sun!

(but this part is correct)

And we don't take no-one over 21!"

It had the clear Neverland/Lord of the Flies theme going on, and the creepy part about it is that it ended with a teenage girl who looked to be about 21 (What happened to her? Did they throw her into a volcano?)

Now the crazy part about it was I could not find either the commercial or even mention of this brand of snack anywhere on the net. The closet I found was a south American commercial hawking "Fiji Fruits" that had absolutely nothing to do with the fruit snack I remembered, nor was this commercial like the one I remember from 1987 though it did appear to have been made around that time. I really began to think I was going through some kind of Mandela Effect or some multiverse hopping, but I'm glad other people here remember that commercial.
                      An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss