9 years, 10 months ago
Do the 2010's have an identity?

So far I see nothing other than it being the depression generation. The ecomony is so terrible, and have everything seems to be the same for last few years.

This decade so far just seems to be bland and lackluster when it comes to Pop Culture such as music, trends, TV, etc. The only exception is movies, which I think 2010-2013 were good years for movies.

The 60's, 70',s 80's, 90's, and even the 2000's all somewhat had an identity. But this decade even have an identity?
    thecrow174
    9986 Posts
    9 years, 10 months ago
    They're not worthy of an identity.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmILPAcRQo

Come have the time of YOUR life with me and the gang at Retro-daze.org.
      RomanBlade86
      288 Posts
      9 years, 10 months ago
      Does it have an identity? I would say not. The 2010s are just a continuation of 2006 with the Youtube generation and viral videos and a bunch of "famous" people I couldn't care less about. The 2010s is the teenie pop generation with Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus leading the pack. I think this is why so many people have been having bouts of nostalgia since Youtube came around in 2006 where you can watch old music videos, commercials, video games and whatever else you want. The 2010s is just a period of void where people are turning back for pop culture rather than admiring the present or looking forward to the future. I think video games are the only media where the future is still hopeful and exciting. Other than that, who cares about some new tv show?
        Straydog
        987 Posts
        9 years, 10 months ago
        Too soon to say. A decade's shape is usually seen most clearly after a 20 year nostalgia cycle. Long enough for those who have lived through it to determine what is most significantly remembered, and laugh at what they thought was important, and reflect on the changes in themselves and pop-culture

For example, right here on Retrojunk, discussions on Voltron, Atari,TMNT, and He-man 80's
        are gradually giving way to discussion about the "olden days" of dial up AOL.Power Rangers, Dragon Ball, and Pokemon 90's

Trying to determine the identity of a decade while youre living it is like trying to read a map while its taped on your face.
        you need a bit of distance
          9 years, 10 months ago
          The decade when grown men watching shows for little girls became acceptable.
          randomuser2349's Signature Image
            thecrow174
            9986 Posts
            9 years, 10 months ago
            RomanBlade86
            Does it have an identity? I would say not. The 2010s are just a continuation of 2006 with the Youtube generation and viral videos and a bunch of "famous" people I couldn't care less about. The 2010s is the teenie pop generation with Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus leading the pack. I think this is why so many people have been having bouts of nostalgia since Youtube came around in 2006 where you can watch old music videos, commercials, video games and whatever else you want. The 2010s is just a period of void where people are turning back for pop culture rather than admiring the present or looking forward to the future. I think video games are the only media where the future is still hopeful and exciting. Other than that, who cares about some new tv show?

Or some "reality" show. The only kinds that I like are the ones where the police chase the suspect.

DoctorRyanB1
              58 Posts
              9 years, 10 months ago
              Yeah, I didn't realize there were so many people that thought like me. I watch youtube and old movies more than I watch regular television. Maybe we are stuck in a black hole time vortex from which we will never escape. You want a good example. Look up the movie Sharknado and watch it. That is the new generation of B movies.
              <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_XxuBIiFZKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
              DoctorRyanB1's Signature Image
              Read about where I'll end up next at
              http://doctorryanb1.blogspot.com/

Latest article: Doctor Ryan Plays:Ultima I The First Age of Darkness
                vkimo
                2321 Posts
                9 years, 10 months ago
                Straydog
                Too soon to say. A decade's shape is usually seen most clearly after a 20 year nostalgia cycle. Long enough for those who have lived through it to determine what is most significantly remembered, and laugh at what they thought was important, and reflect on the changes in themselves and pop-culture

For example, right here on Retrojunk, discussions on Voltron, Atari,TMNT, and He-man 80's
                are gradually giving way to discussion about the "olden days" of dial up AOL.Power Rangers, Dragon Ball, and Pokemon 90's

Trying to determine the identity of a decade while youre living it is like trying to read a map while its taped on your face.
                you need a bit of distance

Agreed 100%. Saved me about 5 minutes of writing because this is exactly what I would have said.
                My Last Article For RetroJunk

Remembering RetroJunk
                  thecrow174
                  9986 Posts
                  9 years, 10 months ago
                  Speaking of the 2010s, what the heck is Instagram?!

bklynbren
                    1015 Posts
                    9 years, 10 months ago
                    Skinny Jean thugs and hipsters.
                      thecrow174
                      9986 Posts
                      9 years, 10 months ago
                      And what does Kim Kardashian do? Is she a supermodel? She's a supertramp, if anything. :lol:

Seriously, my 2010's knowledge is rusty.

bklynbren
                        1015 Posts
                        9 years, 10 months ago
                        thecrow174
                        And what does Kim Kardashian do? Is she a supermodel? She's a supertramp, if anything. :lol:

She's a first class whore married to a second class Douche. I don't know who's worst, Kim or the idiots that make her famous.
                          thecrow174
                          9986 Posts
                          9 years, 10 months ago
                          bklynbren
                          thecrow174

She's a first class whore married to a second class Douche. I don't know who's worst, Kim or the idiots that make her famous.

All I know is, I wish the media would stop making a big deal about Kim and Kanye. They're just really insignificant.

Yodamite
                            304 Posts
                            9 years, 10 months ago
                            I'm sick of celebrity culture, period. We need to stop putting people on a pedestal for simply being famous, when they shouldn't be famous to begin with. I'm more interested in hearing about people who create things. Artists, writers, inventors, and tech innovators are all people who deserve more attention than Kim Kardashian does.

I'm sick of all the talk shows like GMA, Today, and all the other garbage programs that have their lips planted on the ass of every actor and pop star out there. I want to hear about real human beings.
                            Ultimate Space Pimp!
                              thecrow174
                              9986 Posts
                              9 years, 10 months ago
                              Show me a news report about someone doing something heroic, then I'll start caring.

Sita0
                                1 Posts
                                9 years, 10 months ago
                                This decade is the decade of hipsters, smartphones, and the internet.

In this decade, technology became an essential part of many people's lives. But in the '00s, I often went without computers for a few days.
                                  pikachulover
                                  2944 Posts
                                  9 years, 10 months ago
                                  I don't think this decade has been fully established yet. It's only 2014. It's like half over. Would you have been asking yourself the same question in 1994?
                                    DoctorRyanB1
                                    58 Posts
                                    9 years, 10 months ago
                                    thecrow174
                                    Show me a news report about someone doing something heroic, then I'll start caring.

That's what bothers me about this day and age. I see so many people just out for themselves that they can't even hold a door open for a woman where I work. But then again am I judging people without knowing who they are. Man, life was simpler back when I was growing up because it was easier knowing who the jerks were.
                                    DoctorRyanB1's Signature Image
                                    Read about where I'll end up next at
                                    http://doctorryanb1.blogspot.com/

Latest article: Doctor Ryan Plays:Ultima I The First Age of Darkness
                                      9 years, 10 months ago
                                      I think it's just the sleek but hollow imagery of the
                                      "Bubblegum" era of the late 90's combined with the
                                      YouTube generation of the mid 00's. I kind of wish
                                      this eventually turns into a decade of semblance of
                                      identity.
                                      Ed:An Apple A Day Keeps The Bus Driver Away!

Check out my Youtube page.Full of classic commercials from the 80s,90s,and 00s.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AtlantaCommercials96/videos
                                        thecrow174
                                        9986 Posts
                                        9 years, 10 months ago
                                        I shudder to think what 2020 will bring.

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss