JohnTitor
121 Posts
17 years, 1 month ago
I thought I'd share a little more then what I did in the introduction thread you all have.

I was born in 1982 and I remember a lot of things from my childhood. I can recall memories from when I'm three years old. (Although a bit cloudy.)

I was pretty much raised in California and Texas in the 80's. I remember how California was in the 80's. But in the past year or so, I've been feeling a real deep "yearning" to go back to those years. Perhaps it's because I was a care free kid not having to worry about all this "grown up" stuff?

That's one of the reasons I decided to finally sign up on retrojunk.com I wanted to share my experiences (memories) with you all.

As I said, I was born in 1982. So I was eight years old when 1990 came around. So my childhood spanned both from the 80's and the 90's.

I remember so much, like it was yesterday. I can remember the colors, sounds and smells. One of my all time favorite shows was "Thundercats." I had the sword and everything. (It even had a lit up thundercats emblem...that was leet.) I was never really into He-Man or She-Ra or anything like that. But I loved GI-Joe and Star Wars.

I remember all my time in school's during the 80's as well. It's fun just taking a stroll down memory lane and imagine that your there again.

I'm sure many of you recall your childhood years quite vividly as well. The joys of being a kid...

But for those of you who were born in the 80's, do you all think that there's any other reasons why we feel tied to those times, other then just being a kid? Although that's a big part of it, I just felt the world was different back then. (Even though looking through old news that happened during the 80's, I feel it pales in comparison with all that's going on in the world today.)

Let me know what you all think!

BTW:
You guy's remember the Chernobyl disaster right? There's a town named Pryp yat that was built during the late 70's and abandoned in 86 because of the meltdown. I'd recommend doing a google image search on it. The whole town is pretty much like a 80's time capsule. It's really neat. Mail from the 80's are still in the mail boxes, calendars still read 1986 on them... It's like going back in time.

But it's sad that many thousands of lives were ruined and destroyed because of Chernobyl.

Peace!
JT
JohnTitor's Signature Image
    JackTorrance
    49 Posts
    17 years, 1 month ago
    I feel the same way. I kind of feel like Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite, "if I could only go back to 82', things would be different."

I was born in 1980 and the 80's and early 90's simply kicked ass. It was kind of a strange time because all this new stuff was coming out and technology was improving by the minute it seemed like. More so then it had before the 80's.

I think that's the main thing, for me anyway. I mean, the world was a bigger place back then. You couldn't go anywhere and contact anyone at anytime like you can now. If you were lost out in the wilderness there was no cell phone, you were just fucked.

Entertainment was more wholesome too, you didn't have the garbage on TV pumping young minds full of bullshit like there is now. There was some but you didn't have the constant bombardment of ads aimed at kids telling us that if you don't have perfect skin, 6 pack abs and smell like a fucking Calvin Klein ad you're not going to get laid. Most of the ads we where shown wanted us to hound our parents for a toy or a box of cereal.

Yeah wars went on back then, but when haven't they? It's just more personal now when you know when something happens the second it happens in the era of instant news. Shit, I knew Anna Nicole Smith was dead before she did.

So that's why I long for those times again, it was simpler. The world didn't move as fast.
      JohnTitor
      121 Posts
      17 years, 1 month ago
      Great reply Tollerance!

Yeah, the world has gotten way smaller. The 80's and early 90's were a great time. Wish I could go back even just for a week. :(

Peace
      JT
        Rainbow_Bright
        2505 Posts
        17 years, 1 month ago
        uh shouldnt you have put this in to a article up top? cause its sorta sounds like every other article that talks about eighties and ninties childhood memories.
          gustogummi
          2602 Posts
          17 years, 1 month ago
          I grew up in the late 70s and 80s. :) Teenager in the 1990s which sucked.

I've enjoyed my childhood years, nuff said.
            COOLHAND
            2938 Posts
            17 years, 1 month ago
            gustogummi
            I grew up in the late 70s and 80s. :) Teenager in the 1990s which sucked.

I've enjoyed my childhood years, nuff said.

I guess the reason you dont like the 90's so much is because it was your teenage years and they sucked for you?

Like someone else said that post should be an article...
              JohnTitor
              121 Posts
              17 years, 1 month ago
              I had no intentions of this being an article. I just wanted to share my memories and thoughts of the 80's and hear what you all had to say.

I plan on writing an article named "Prypyat, the Nuclear Time Capsul" which I'm working on now.

Peace,
              JT
                Brick_Wall
                1435 Posts
                17 years, 1 month ago
                i wish i could have known the 80's like you
                  gustogummi
                  2602 Posts
                  17 years, 1 month ago
                  COOLHAND
                  I guess the reason you dont like the 90's so much is because it was your teenage years and they sucked for you?

Like someone else said that post should be an article...

High school was depressing, I got bullied a lot back in high school and my uncles (whom I was very close to) both died in 1990, the year I turned 13. And the rest of it I won't go into detail but for me the 1980s was the last fun decade.
                    JohnTitor
                    121 Posts
                    17 years, 1 month ago
                    gustogummi
                    ...for me the 1980s was the last fun decade.

I understand you completely. I'd have to say my childhood years started to change (very rapidly) after 1995. So I suppose everything before 95 was great for me. But the best times I've had was around 87-89.

JT
                      Rainbow_Bright
                      2505 Posts
                      17 years, 1 month ago
                      I think Justin Timberlake said it best Cry me a River...
                        kayvee
                        3672 Posts
                        17 years, 1 month ago
                        damn, that was stone cold Rainbow Bright...
                          Rainbow_Bright
                          2505 Posts
                          17 years, 1 month ago
                          haha i know right, iam sorry but he has been pissing about his highschool days so much and its time to get over it and not dwell in the past.
                            17 years ago
                            I was born in 1982, either, I'm with JT for that 1st part about first memory. My first memory was with my cousin who's 2 months older than me (born January 7th, 1982) that we played together for family events like thanksgiving, July 4th, 1982 and Christmas 1982. I remember that my mom was pregnant with my sister on December 1984 when I was 2 that time but one year later in 1985, my sister was born on the warm, hot summer that day when my parents brought her home that time I was 3 years old before I entered preschool weeks later. I remember that I got hooked on ninetdo (sp?) around fall, 1987, I loved these both games were Mario Bros and Duck Hunt, and many more memories in the 80's,

90's were good, I remember that my first hearing ex bf that who I used to date at camp that summer of 1990, and my first date with my ex at my deaf school in 1993 5th grade and my first crush is my best friend of 15 years back in '92 and more good memories of the 90's.

I enjoyed as a kid like I was in the 80's and 90's.
                            [FONT="Times New Roman"]YEE-HAA - BO DUKE![/FONT]

[FONT="Arial Black"]"Cowabunga, Dude!" ~ MICHAELANGELO[/FONT]

A true child of the 80's here.:D
                              An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss