WARLORD1863
517 Posts
17 years, 1 month ago
Alright fellas, it's been awhile. Too much sports news to cover from my last update... oh... around the superbowl? Anyways, I'm just going to stick with the most recent sports news.

Yankees - 3 starting pitchers on the DL? Are you serious? And with Rivera botching up the game in the 9th inning? Aye carumba, 'nuff said.

WBA Heavyweight Title - This past saturday the Russian giant, Nikolai Valuev, has fallen! He lost his heavyweight champion title AND dropped only a few wins away from Rocky Marciano's 49 - 0 win record, Valuev was 46 - 0 before saturday. Who did he lose to? John Ruiz? No, but he probably should have. Some guy calling himself the "white Tyson", Ruslan Chagaev of Uzbekistan who is nearly a full foot shorter than Valuev. American John Ruiz lost HIS champion title awhile ago to Valuev in a very controversial decision by the judges, again Ruiz was hit with a controversial decision by the judges when he lost to Chagaev. If Ruiz had won, he would have had another shot at the man that took away his title, Valuev. But that grudge match won't happen, at least not with the same stakes. If Ruiz wants the title back, he'll have to take it from Chagaev.

Montoya - In NASCAR when you're a rookie, you don't get a lot of respect. You have to earn it before you get it. But apparently Juan Montoya didn't get that memo. His aggressive driving has spun out many drivers so far in his debut in the NEXTEL Cup of NASCAR. The latest incident was in Texas against 20 car driver Tony Stewart. The move has sparked a lot of debate, and although his driving has impressed a lot of NASCAR drivers... he sure isn't making any friends. The veteran drivers, ESPECIALLY Tony Stewart, will no longer show this rookie any mercy. Montoya better expect a different kind of race next week.

Jackie Robinson Day - I'm sure all you baseball fans were excited to see players wearing the coveted number 42 jersey. Jackie Robinson's number 42 is the only number to be retired throughout the entire sport of major league baseball. The players who were lucky enough to wear that number must have felt a lot of pride. I'm glad heroes like Jackie Robinson still matter in this country, and I'm glad baseball still matters in this country.

You wanna fight? - Those were the words out of NBA referee Joey Crawford, aimed at San Antonio Spurs player Tim Duncan. Apparently Crawford threw Duncan out of the game after calling a foul on Duncan for laughing on the bench. According to Duncan, Crawford then asked, "Do you want to fight?" Crawford has been suspended indefinitely by commissioner David Stern. If Crawford really asked Duncan if he wanted to fight, I say the suspension is very appropriate. As for throwing Duncan out, I have to guess there was more to it than him laughing on the bench. So I can't tell you if it was the right move or not. What I like about this whole situation is that referees are being held accountable, no more of this immunity garbage. Referees know now that they are to do their job and nothing more, nothing less.
You must enter a signature
    Shazbot
    2865 Posts
    17 years, 1 month ago
    You didn't cover hockey or soccer, and they're both at their most exciting times of the season!
      17 years, 1 month ago
      and you forgot the reds

how dare you :(
        Ilikethepixies
        5870 Posts
        17 years, 1 month ago
        Never fight an Uzbeki, they are ruthless Eastern European warriors.

I'm a little dismayed that everyone's making such a big deal about the Yankee's. I think the only reason is that they are ESPN's unofficial official baseball team. Anything that happens with the Yankees, no matter how insignificant is huge news. This kind of thing happens to teams all the time, but no one makes a big stink over it. They'll lose some ball games... which is good because I hate the Yankees.

The Joey Crawford thing is a little crazy. At first I thought it was a "heat of the moment" type thing, but then he kept saying how he would have done it again in quotes to the press. He's quite a little egomaniac... so its good that he's being indefinately suspended.

Jackie Robinson day was awesome, I love John Miller and Joe Morgan, their commentary is just like beautiful music to my ears. They really have excellent chemistry and were great to have do the game. Mrs. Robinson, by the way, is pretty hot for 80-something years old. She looks like she's 50-something. Just awesome.
          WARLORD1863
          517 Posts
          17 years, 1 month ago
          - UPDATE -

For the fella who wanted hockey and soccer updates...

Rangers - How sweep it is! Who would have thought the team who had to claw their way to the 6 spot to make it to the playoffs would sweep #3 Atlanta? Certainly not me.

NHL Playoffs - It seems every playoff match-up so far has one team dominating over the other in wins. Buffalo leads the Islanders 3 games to 1, Ottawa leads Pittsburgh 4 games to 1 (thought Pittsburgh would have given a much better fight), San Jose leads Nashville 3 games to 1, Vancouver leads Dallas 3 games to 1, and Anaheim leads the Wild 3 games to 1, and if Detroit wins tonight they'll be leading 3 games to 1 against the flames. The real battle seems to be between the Devils and the Lightning, who have 2 wins a piece. I like to see those kinds of battles, where victory isn't so much of a sure thing... I just wish my team (NJ Devils) were one of the dominant teams.

Soccer! - Too early in the season to really make any judgements, except that the usually dominant D.C. United seems to be struggling. If anyone has more insight on MLS, please feel welcome to contribute.

A. Rod - Although the Yankee rotation is in trouble, A. Rod is on FIRE! .418 OBP, .351 Batting Average, 26 RBI's, and 10 homeruns. He has those stats and it's only April 19th! Is this guy for real or will he collapse as the season rolls on? We'll have to see...

Charlie Manuel - a few days ago Phillies manager Charlie Manuel was seen being helped out of the locker room by fellow coaches after he apparently snapped at a reporter. Manuel claimed that the reporter had been on his case for 3 years and he isn't going to take it anymore. Somewhere along the line, Manuel even challenged the ESPN reporter to a fight. Their loss to the Nationals (go Nats!) in 13 innings didn't help things, and they almost gave up a 4 - 0 lead in the 9th inning. Lucky for them the nationals only got 2 runs in when it could have easily been 5 with bases loaded and no outs. People need to get off Manuel's back. The guy wants to win and he will. The Phillies are just going through a rough patch, every team goes through it. They'll have plenty of winning patches before the season is over.
          You must enter a signature
            COOLHAND
            2938 Posts
            17 years ago
            adventure_of_link
            and you forgot the reds

how dare you :(

I agree

You will burn in hell for your heresy against the USA :D
              Ilikethepixies
              5870 Posts
              17 years ago
              Charley Manuel is awesome. He's true baseball. Gruff, angry, not politically correct. As much as sports media tries to cover it up, baseball is still run by stern men, cheeks full of chew, making dirty jokes. Its pretty awesome.
                99Centsplease
                518 Posts
                17 years ago
                The media does tend to make baseball look "bubblegum" (no pun intended). What is with baseball's "American" connotations? Same question here with apple pie.

National League baseball is more exciting than AL baseball.
                500th post reached July 2, 2007.
                -----------
                :)!
                  Ilikethepixies
                  5870 Posts
                  17 years ago
                  I agree with you, I like NL better.

Also, notice how many players have dip in their mouths. Nick Swisher for the Oakland A's looks like he puts a whole can in his lip before he goes up to bat. Awesome.
                    17 years ago
                    reds lost, sucks!
                    [FONT="Times New Roman"]YEE-HAA - BO DUKE![/FONT]

[FONT="Arial Black"]"Cowabunga, Dude!" ~ MICHAELANGELO[/FONT]

A true child of the 80's here.:D
                      An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss