AtariMan76
749 Posts
15 years, 2 months ago
If you had to like only one animation company, which one would it be?

Filmation, or Hanna Barbera?

For me, that would be a tough decision. Hanna Barbera brought us cartoons like "The Herculoids", and "The Pirates of Dark Water".

On the other hand, had it not been for Filmation, we wouldn't have "Star Trek: The Animated Series", or "He-Man".

I guess I would have to choose Filmation.
    mlw1984
    1435 Posts
    15 years, 2 months ago
    Neither. Both had a lot of horrible cartoons. If anything, they were responsible for the decline of animation. Hanna Barbera's earliest series and their recent series (some of the Cartoon Cartoons, 2 Stupid Dogs etc) were the only good series they've made. Everything else (i.e. Jabberjaw, Scooby-Doo etc) was pure crap in my opinion.
      System
      79987 Posts
      15 years, 2 months ago
      It's really tough to decide. Both had really good cartoons and I'm just going to go with Hanna Barbera since they had longetivity.

But Filmation is awesome as well.
        Mr_Retro92
        849 Posts
        15 years ago
        For me, that would be a tough decision. Hanna Barbera brought us cartoons like "The Herculoids", and "The Pirates of Dark Water".

They also gave us The Flintstones.
        The Gang

BenJamin
          486 Posts
          14 years, 5 months ago
          I guess my vote goes to Filmation for their unique animation style. They gave us He-Man and the Masters Of The Universe, Ghost Busters (their original version that I haven't seen yet), The New Adventures Of Heckle & Jeckle and Quackula, The New Adventures Of Mighty Mouse, Fat Albert, and Star Trek.

I like Hanna Barbera though. The Flintstones, The Smurfs, Yogi Bear, Top Cat, Wacky Races, Dastardly And Muttley, too much to list.
            14 years, 5 months ago
            Hanna Barbera
            100th Post!- October 2, 200
              blueluigi
              3338 Posts
              14 years, 5 months ago
              They both had incredibly braindead cartoons and writing. But if I were to say which one is better, I would say Hanna-Barbara, just because they had some good cartoons from the 1960s and the mid-to-late 90s. Most of their cartoons from the 70s and 80s are incredibly horrible to watch as an adult. As for Filmation, I can't name one cartoon from that company that still stands the test of time for me as an adult. The only reason why these cartoons were good in the first place was because you grew up with them.
                eastervideoguy
                1056 Posts
                14 years, 4 months ago
                both were very good but I like hannah barbera a bit more since they made more reconizable cartoons
                  13 years, 10 months ago
                  Easy one for me the Immortal Hanna- Barbera
                    palmer10
                    390 Posts
                    13 years, 1 month ago
                    Loved them both but He-man was my all time favorite toon so Filmation gets the nod.
                      ActionBastard
                      1425 Posts
                      13 years, 1 month ago
                      Hanna Barbera
                      Shit happens when You fart naked

Retro pimpin aint easy
                        13 years, 1 month ago
                        Both were very good.
                        But I'm going with Hanna Barbera this time. :D
                          CartoonKing2
                          71 Posts
                          12 years, 10 months ago
                          blueluigi
                          They both had incredibly braindead cartoons and writing. But if I were to say which one is better, I would say Hanna-Barbara, just because they had some good cartoons from the 1960s and the mid-to-late 90s. Most of their cartoons from the 70s and 80s are incredibly horrible to watch as an adult. As for Filmation, I can't name one cartoon from that company that still stands the test of time for me as an adult. The only reason why these cartoons were good in the first place was because you grew up with them.

I agree. I loved some of H-B's older stuff like their version of Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones; Top Cat etc. I also liked their 90s shows like 2 Stupid Dogs; Dexter's Laboratory; The PowerPuff Girls; Johnny Bravo etc. But as for Filmation, I too can't recall a single good show by them. I prefer Disney, Spumco, Warner Bros., Pixar, Williams Street, DreamWorks, and Aardman over both of them though.
                            Neomysterion
                            182 Posts
                            12 years, 8 months ago
                            Hanna Barbera for the win! :D
                            Sketch
                            It's always been my opinion that you can never be too nice but it's not good to let people walk all over you either.

TRG Forums|My Game Collection[
                              jeffm
                              5 Posts
                              10 years, 10 months ago
                              I often liked De Patie-Freleng's cartoons better than either Hanna-Barbera's or Filmation's myself. Sure, H-B made some lousy shows; TV production was/is an assembly line and a lot of it was just product to serve a purpose. But H-B had some talented and experienced people; they were pros, and they brought a lot to the table. I still fondly remember the goofy humor of "Wacky Races" and its spin-off "Perils of Penelope Pitstop," the action and art style of Alex Toth in "Space Ghost," "Young Samson" and others, and (best of all) both the art work and storytelling of newspaper-strip artist Doug Wildey in "Jonny Quest," "Godzilla," and the unjustly forgotten "Jana of the Jungle."
                                System
                                79987 Posts
                                10 years, 8 months ago
                                Hanna Barbera for me too, I loved The Herculoids, The Flintstones, Scooby Doo Where Are You?, etc.
                                  mhill1825
                                  1 Posts
                                  10 years, 7 months ago
                                  I like Hanna-Barbera because they make better cartoons than Filmation. I'm not saying Filmation's cartoons are bad, good, or OK; They are pretty interesting. The only Filmation cartoons I like are He-Man, She-Ra, and Fat Albert. I'll say it again I like Hanna-Barbera better than Filmation.
                                    9 years, 9 months ago
                                    Hanna Barbera because 2 stupid dogs and cow and chicken.
                                      9 years, 8 months ago
                                      I think, for the most part, Hanna Barbera had slightly better animation. But Filmation had much better, more intense stories.
                                      Don't pay any attention to the evil spirited and dead of heart. They're not worth your time.
                                        8 years, 9 months ago
                                        Hanna barbera. however filmation is equaly great
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss