Pinface
940 Posts
12 years ago
Great year no doubt! but it's either Resident Evil, Super Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger.
"Nobody wants to see vampire killers or vampires either! apparently all they want are demented madmen running around in ski-masks hacking up young virgins"-Peter Vincent from Fright Night.
    Guild_Navigator
    2012 Posts
    12 years ago
      Wrestlingfan
      340 Posts
      12 years ago
      Crash Bandicoot, The most coolest game series i have played
        thecrow174
        9986 Posts
        12 years ago
        Nice try, but Chrono Trigger was released in 1995. :lol:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmILPAcRQo

Come have the time of YOUR life with me and the gang at Retro-daze.org.
          Jennings
          456 Posts
          12 years ago
          I would have to go with the most obvious and say Super Mario 64. I got it along with an N64 for my birthday and I played it all night sitting too close to the TV. I had never played a 3D game before and I actually remember getting a little motion sickness.
            Mezase_Master
            7306 Posts
            12 years ago
            thecrow174
            Nice try, but Chrono Trigger was released in 1995. :lol:
            If that's the logic we're using then I'mma say EarthBound.
            TMNT
            Movin` on up!! To the East side Blah blah Blah Movin on up Gaints lol.
              Pinface
              940 Posts
              12 years ago
              Jennings
              I would have to go with the most obvious and say Super Mario 64. I got it along with an N64 for my birthday and I played it all night sitting too close to the TV. I had never played a 3D game before and I actually remember getting a little motion sickness.

I didn't get my N64 until i was 15 for my birthday with Super Mario 64 and that game rocked my world. I did got my PS1 for christmas when i was 14 with the game Resident Evil and that became my number one game of the year with Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger.

Well CT was released in the US in 1996
              "Nobody wants to see vampire killers or vampires either! apparently all they want are demented madmen running around in ski-masks hacking up young virgins"-Peter Vincent from Fright Night.
                12 years ago
                Oh, definitely "Super Mario RPG"! I remember receiving that game for my birthday and playing it constantly over the summer. It was also THE game that introduced me to the RPG genre. From there, I became a fan of the Final Fantasy series. :D
                  Mezase_Master
                  7306 Posts
                  12 years ago
                  Oh right, Super Mario RPG was released in 1996 wasn't it? That gets my vote.
                  TMNT
                  Movin` on up!! To the East side Blah blah Blah Movin on up Gaints lol.
                    thecrow174
                    9986 Posts
                    12 years ago
                    Pinface
                    Jennings

I didn't get my N64 until i was 15 for my birthday with Super Mario 64 and that game rocked my world. I did got my PS1 for christmas when i was 14 with the game Resident Evil and that became my number one game of the year with Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger.

Well CT was released in the US in 1996

Chrono Trigger's official U.S. release date:

August 22, 1995
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmILPAcRQo

Come have the time of YOUR life with me and the gang at Retro-daze.org.
                      vkimo
                      2321 Posts
                      12 years ago
                      They were still making SNES games when the N64 was out? Wow.
                      My Last Article For RetroJunk

Remembering RetroJunk
                        Drahken
                        1258 Posts
                        12 years ago
                        When I see these "your favorite {X} from {YEAR}" threads, I immediately wonder if the people involved actually know/remember all the games/whatever that were released in that year, just one specific game/whatever, or if they were thinking about their fav game/whatever & decided to look up it's release date, then post the thread?

Personally, I don't even know what year I bought a given game/video/whatever, let alone what year it was officially released, let alone what other games were released that year.

Bearing that in mind, I'm using a wikipedia list as a reference;
                        super mario RPG
                        Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (arcade game)
                        Bahamut Lagoon
                        vectorman
                        sonic 3d blast
                        pokemon red/blue
                        x-men vs street fighter (arcade game)
                        gargoyles

vkimo

That's normal. Companies continue making games for established systems well after a new system is introduced. Sometimes it's because they started a game before the new system's release, sometimes it's because they don't want to risk making games for what may turn out to be an upopular system, sometimes it might be cheaper to make it for the existing system, sometimes they want the large established customer base that the existing system has, and there are probably hundreds of other reasons.
                        They still made GBC games after GBA was out, they kept making GBA games after the DS was released.
                        Drahken's Signature Image
                        *WARNING: The above post may be highly opinionated, read at your own risk.

Gee Caspah, you're a twicky one!
                          12 years ago
                          Resident Evil for me
                          "Good Nyborg "
                            jango52577
                            2805 Posts
                            12 years ago
                            Probably Tomb Raider or Mortal Kombat Trilogy. I have a lot of great memories with both games. I used to play Tomb Raider all the time with a friend from church when we would hang out and we liked the games so much we eventually went to see the Angelina Jolie movie the day it came out. And then Mortal Kombat Trilogy was an epic game I used to play with a good friend of mine that I probably haven't seen in person in 12 years.

We used to hang out after school and on weekends or during winter or spring break and we used to stage little tournaments with me, his little brother, my cousin (who I met him through), and him and we used to have so much fun. And then if we ever got bored with that, we used to trade Pokemon cards, go to the park down the street, or jump on their trampoline until we got too tired, and then we'd go play some more Mortal Kombat!!

And when we did get the game to work, it was a small triumphant feat. Mostly because my friend didn't really take care of his PS1 games (i.e. left them out of the case, used them as frisbees, let his dog chew them, etc), and like I said, when we did get Mortal Kombat to work we played the game for hours or until his aging PS1 overheated and the game froze and we had to wait and try all over again. GOOD TIMES!! :-D
                              System
                              79987 Posts
                              12 years ago
                              vkimo

yep. even the first harvest moon came out in 1997
                                Jennings
                                456 Posts
                                12 years ago
                                Donkey Kong Country 3 came out in 96 but I think it was shadowed by the release of the Nintendo 64.
                                  12 years ago
                                  Super Mario RPG. My cousin Evan had a copy, and I played it one day and fell in love with that game, so I got a copy myself, and... well, that's it.

On DeviantART. Username? Nekagi.
                                    arizvega
                                    604 Posts
                                    12 years ago
                                    Super Mario 64...
                                    arizvega's Signature Image
                                    Scorpion WINS!

FATALITY
                                      Pinface
                                      940 Posts
                                      12 years ago
                                      Drahken
                                      When I see these "your favorite {X} from {YEAR}" threads, I immediately wonder if the people involved actually know/remember all the games/whatever that were released in that year, just one specific game/whatever, or if they were thinking about their fav game/whatever & decided to look up it's release date, then post the thread?

Personally, I don't even know what year I bought a given game/video/whatever, let alone what year it was officially released, let alone what other games were released that year.

Bearing that in mind, I'm using a wikipedia list as a reference;
                                      super mario RPG
                                      Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (arcade game)
                                      Bahamut Lagoon
                                      vectorman
                                      sonic 3d blast
                                      pokemon red/blue
                                      x-men vs street fighter (arcade game)
                                      gargoyles

vkimo

That's normal. Companies continue making games for established systems well after a new system is introduced. Sometimes it's because they started a game before the new system's release, sometimes it's because they don't want to risk making games for what may turn out to be an upopular system, sometimes it might be cheaper to make it for the existing system, sometimes they want the large established customer base that the existing system has, and there are probably hundreds of other reasons.
                                      They still made GBC games after GBA was out, they kept making GBA games after the DS was released.

Besides SM RPG, those other games you mentioned were terrific including Gargoyles.
                                        System
                                        79987 Posts
                                        12 years ago
                                        Super Mario RPG is my favorite game of '96. Yes, I like it better than Super Mario 64.
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss