PoopsMcGee
473 Posts
17 years, 5 months ago
I recieved the ColecoVision last year from my Computer Programming teacher. It was his when he was a kid, and I had heard much about it. Well as it turns out he didn't want it anymore, and he handed the septor to me. I went home and went to work playing Smurfs and Donkey Kong. I have to say though that it was really good, and the controller, while kind of odd, was pretty interesting. Anyone feel the same, played it, reaction? Let me know!

17 years, 5 months ago
    It's a good system. :D
      Lottech96
      1275 Posts
      17 years, 5 months ago
      look at my Avitar and look at the pic.

Now does that answer your question. No? Here's more stuff on it

1: Smurfs Rescue By Peyo. early version of a side scrolling adventure game.

2: Sega's early versions of their great Arcade games. Like Turbo,Zaxxon, Space Fury and Carnival.

3: Even though it was Faux, It Rendered some good vector games nicely.
      Like Star wars and Space Fury. ( You're prolly think I'm milking this all it's worth)

4: Parker Brothers starts their line of Published games. Like Q*Bert and Frogger. and I'm sure Pitfall.

5: Nintendo was born in the 'cades then raised by this great machine Before taking on it's own with the NES/Famicon

Final: After you Played your games on CV You can watch'em on CBS saturday morning :-p (allmost, all the Games on Saturday Supercade were on the Coleco Vision )

that's my buck, fifty
      Who Want's some BLOGna!!?
      http://spacemanmonster.blogspot.com/
      Did you know they'll make a game show out of..
      http://tmgsoo.blogspot.com/
        Daniel_BMS
        172 Posts
        17 years, 5 months ago
        I wonder why this system couldn't have stopped the video game crash.
          marshmannes
          548 Posts
          17 years, 5 months ago
          The biggest problem with the system that it is extremely bad with durability. Many of these systems are in junkyards because they broke at some point. My dad owned an Adam that could play Coleco games and said it was the worst thing because it broke so easily. VGC gave the durability of the system an F and I don't blame him. It is not a bad system but finding a working one is difficult.
          The Tall Man: "You think that when you die, you go to Heaven. You come to us!"
            PoopsMcGee
            473 Posts
            17 years, 5 months ago
            marshmannes
            The biggest problem with the system that it is extremely bad with durability. Many of these systems are in junkyards because they broke at some point. My dad owned an Adam that could play Coleco games and said it was the worst thing because it broke so easily. VGC gave the durability of the system an F and I don't blame him. It is not a bad system but finding a working one is difficult.

Yeah def. the durability of the Coleco isn't that hot. I had to use the RF Swich from my NES for it, cause the one that I got was kinda shot. Still a great system though.
              JCU
              356 Posts
              17 years, 5 months ago
              Daniel_BMS

If only this system came later then it did, who knows what would happened with home video games. Compared to what was available at the time (atari, intellivision, c64, etc) it was the top of the line. Whether it was Looper, Mousetrap, Ladybug, etc.., it was damn good.
              N
                FilmationGirl
                209 Posts
                17 years, 5 months ago
                Smurf Rescue seemed to be the only game I ever think about for Colecovision.
                  Krayzee
                  1032 Posts
                  17 years, 5 months ago
                  i never played CV, but the system looks really cool. it looks like a phone reciever...like where you charge your phone.

i dunno, i'm retarded.
                  92 til Infinity
                    eep
                    735 Posts
                    17 years, 5 months ago
                    Krayzee
                    i never played CV, but the system looks really cool. it looks like a phone reciever...like where you charge your phone.

i dunno, i'm retarded.

that system was digusting. atari all the way baby :wink:
                      Retro_Mike
                      48 Posts
                      17 years, 5 months ago
                      I still play mine. All my friends had atari. But we all played my Colecovision. Pick axe Pete and Zaxxon were the best.

Nothing against atari. I still have one of those also. :D
                        Daniel_BMS
                        172 Posts
                        17 years, 5 months ago
                        eep
                        that system was digusting. atari all the way baby :wink:

Um, no. Atari was the system that just continued to milk every arcade concept for all it's worth with an under powered and over priced machine. Systems like the Coleco Vision and great Coleco Vision games came from former Atari employees who were frustrated with Atari's unethical attitude.
                          diskoboy
                          212 Posts
                          17 years, 4 months ago
                          JCU
                          Daniel_BMS

If only this system came later then it did, who knows what would happened with home video games. Compared to what was available at the time (atari, intellivision, c64, etc) it was the top of the line. Whether it was Looper, Mousetrap, Ladybug, etc.., it was damn good.

Actually, it's succesor killed it. If it came out earlier, it would've killed the competition.

You may remember the ADAM? It singlehandedly destroyed Coleco. And destroyed whatever videogame market there was left, in the United States, until the NES revived it.

Along with ET, this was the 'final blow' that caused the great crash.

Here's the story - 1984. Colecovision has been around for 2 years. It had actually started to outsell the mighty VCS, a year earlier. There had been talk of a computer add-on from day one. Coleco hypes it, everybody is frothing at the mouth for it. Coleco says, "were going to halt CV production, in favor of the ADAM" (which was fortunately backwards compatible). The enginners at Coleco advise against releasing the machines, so soon, because there were still alot of bugs.

ALOT of bugs.

The CEO of Coleco had already promised it would be out by Christmas. He wasn't gonna go back on his word. They released it. Bugs included. Millions of people got one.

Whenever you turned on your ADAM, if you left a tape in the drive, say goodbye to the data. The tape player sent a huge magnetic surge that would delete the tape. If your printer broke, so did your ADAM. The power switch was on the printer. The software was virtually useless, it had so many bugs... They recalled the system, but the damage was done.

If it wasn't for the Cabbage Patch Kids, Coleco would've died, then and there.

But now back to the original posters question - yes. The ColecoVision is a sweet little machine. But I have to advise against Smurf's Rescue. The collision detection is maddening. I could never make it over the first fence.
                            Lottech96
                            1275 Posts
                            17 years, 4 months ago
                            Hmm yes I'm sure Back in the day a Little thing Know a Perfection and Beta testing Prolly Never Existed back then . it was all rush ,rush ,Rush!!

And that's how you get Crappy games/Systems.

Thankfully Nintendo Caught wind of this and learned to Not release it untill perfect, and later refine.
                            Who Want's some BLOGna!!?
                            http://spacemanmonster.blogspot.com/
                            Did you know they'll make a game show out of..
                            http://tmgsoo.blogspot.com/
                              Retro_Mike
                              48 Posts
                              17 years, 4 months ago
                              I remember playing donky kong. I cant remember how far I would get. I just remember playing for an hour or so. And suddenly it just froze up for no good reason. Those were the good ol days. I still have it. I even have donkey kong Jr.
                                rirotostichi
                                1841 Posts
                                17 years, 4 months ago
                                Good system ;)

Never played one before, but what I heard (and saw) of it is really good.
                                Look out for one in the Family Guy episode "I take thee, Quagmire" .
                                  System
                                  79987 Posts
                                  17 years, 4 months ago
                                  PoopsMcGee
                                  I recieved the ColecoVision last year from my Computer Programming teacher. It was his when he was a kid, and I had heard much about it. Well as it turns out he didn't want it anymore, and he handed the septor to me. I went home and went to work playing Smurfs and Donkey Kong. I have to say though that it was really good, and the controller, while kind of odd, was pretty interesting. Anyone feel the same, played it, reaction? Let me know!

well that does sound really neat, I wouldn't mind getting one of those, heck theres a few stores where I am that sells the carts for retro games like the Atari and the ColecoVision, and the some of the cames look cool, heh, its kinda neat that mario (aka jump man in the dk games) got his start with colecovision and not with nintendo, though nintendo did have a differant mascot at the time, and that was Mr. game and watch, and that game was short lived, since nintendo chose mario to be there new official mascot, and from that point on, mario has always been nintendo's mascot.
                                    JCU
                                    356 Posts
                                    17 years, 4 months ago
                                    diskoboy
                                    Actually, it's succesor killed it. If it came out earlier, it would've killed the competition.

If it came out once the home video game market was repaired (thanks NES) it could have done much more than what it did during its brief time during a turbulent game market. Having competition might have made this system into the system that it should have been and could have been. The motivation would have been there to make the necessary adjustments in order for it to become a force to be reconed with.
                                    N
                                      80sVidKid
                                      1169 Posts
                                      17 years, 4 months ago
                                      For someone who grew up during the infancy of the video game consoles, I personally favored the ColecoVision more than the Atari VCS, Intellivision and others at that time. Many arcade classic titles like Donkey Kong, Ladybug, Mr. Do! and Zaxxon were ported to the system, and it had the best graphics that were available for it's time (often I felt it surpassed Atari's attempts at a simular second gen console, the 5200, which was essentially a stripped-down 800 computer just to play games). We also had that expansion module to play the old Atari games on, as well as the sterring wheel for some racing games like "Turbo". The keypad/joysticks were rather complicated for 6 year old hands, but I got used to it.

I hardly knew of the "Crash" that took place by '84, though when the NES came out (as well as the Sega Master System and another Atari console destine for the trash compactor) I pretty much went the way others had in clinging on to the next big thing. If only the stupid cartridge loading on that thing was a little better thought-out than the way the NES had it with the carts sliding in on the side rather than on top (like the SNES would later have), leading to the classic blowing technique we've all mastered quite well (let along wiggling it back and force and wearing out the connectors inside).
                                      - From The King of Esoteric
                                        An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss