Bionic-J
134 Posts
17 years, 3 months ago
Recently Blizzard announced it's next MMO won't be another WoW.

To me, that means Blizzard would like to focus on MMORPGs. So, the company that made it's name under the RTS genre, has "switched".

Maybe I am reading too much into this, but with Diablo 3 no where on the horizon or any mention of Starcraft 2 - I am thinking Blizzard may switch over to an MMORPG only company.

Also, Starcraft Ghost was delayed, then given to another studio and from what I understand, is now cancelled.

WoW is making Blizzard TONS of money. Granted, when it starts to decline, it will be pretty harsh. But, there has been nothing but growth for this game. And, it would make sense to go with tried and true. But, at what cost?

Anyone else get the feeling Blizzard may go MMORPG only?
    sikkbones
    1262 Posts
    17 years, 3 months ago
    not as long as they keep support online for the older games they have produced.

and the minute that the bottom drops out of the WOW phenemonenon they will back to giving us great games like warcraft IV, Starcraft II, and diablo 3- 6.
      Bionic-J
      134 Posts
      17 years, 3 months ago
      sikkbones

and the minute that the bottom drops out of the WOW phenemonenon they will back to giving us great games like warcraft IV, Starcraft II, and diablo 3- 6.

Well, since they gave Starcraft Ghost to another studio, whats to say they won't hand over the handling of their current online games to someone else as well?

And they may just morph their IPs into the MMORPG genre like they did with Warcraft. It worked really well and is making them a ton of more money than the Warcraft IP would as a RTS game.
        Nikadimas
        67 Posts
        17 years, 3 months ago
        sikkbones

What makes you think the bottom will drop out of WOW? It's surpassed the popularity of other games like it, even Everquest, which has been going for 8 years now. I doubt we'll see the end of WOW before 2010. That being said, with it's popularity so huge, they're raking in the money which means resources for new projects. And since Blizzard is running a business, putting all of its eggs in one basket (MMORPGs) when it does so well with other titles would seem unlikely.
          Vertex(Admin)
          367 Posts
          17 years, 3 months ago
          Well they are making more money with WoW than probably any other game in history so it would be smart to follow the money.

8 million subscribers at $15 bucks a month plus $50 to buy the game and $30 for the expansion... You do the math.
          When I die, I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandpa did. Not like the screaming passengers in his car.
            Yammez
            63 Posts
            17 years, 3 months ago
            starcraft 2 has been mentioned, albeit indirectly, as has diablo 3.
            i don't think blizzard would stray from rts, it's what they do well and starcraft 2 will likely be the next rts they make.
            i havent read any d3 rumors recently, but the last i've read was an interview of a blizzard author who hinted at it. they might make a diablo mmorpg which i think would be really cool with heaven, hell, sanctuary and what not.
              Bionic-J
              134 Posts
              17 years, 3 months ago
              Yammez
              starcraft 2 has been mentioned, albeit indirectly, as has diablo 3.
              i don't think blizzard would stray from rts, it's what they do well and starcraft 2 will likely be the next rts they make.
              i havent read any d3 rumors recently, but the last i've read was an interview of a blizzard author who hinted at it. they might make a diablo mmorpg which i think would be really cool with heaven, hell, sanctuary and what not.

I get the feeling that Blizzard will just morph their IPs into MMORPGs. As time goes by, WoW seems to be the company's only focus.

With Sony offering ONE subscription fee for a whole bunch of MMORPGs (MXO, EQ 1, EQ2, SWG), it would make sense for Blizzard to offer more of their IP under the MMORPG genre. In other words, pay $15 to get access to WoW, World of Diablo & World of Starcraft (if they do cross over to the MMORPG genre).
                darthmunk
                3361 Posts
                17 years, 3 months ago
                Didn't Blizzard make the Lost Vikings games for snes and genesis?
                  MacPlus512
                  402 Posts
                  17 years, 3 months ago
                  I don't own anything from this Blizzard company...

And I hate to sound really stupid, but what is a MMORPG?
                    Bionic-J
                    134 Posts
                    17 years, 3 months ago
                    MacPlus512
                    I don't own anything from this Blizzard company...

And I hate to sound really stupid, but what is a MMORPG?

MMORPG stands for Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game. You create a character and play on an online environment. The setting is usually fantasy but there are games that have a different setting, like City Of Heroes.

There is a Star Wars, Matrix and soon a Lord Of The Rings MMORPG.

You pay a monthly fee and usually deal with gaining experience and items to advance.

The 1st MMORPG to become popular is Everquest - fantasy based environment.
                      An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss