DemoniusX2
45 Posts
17 years, 1 month ago
Alright you don't have to be 100% serious about this topic. You heard of 80's Tv logos being scary (which never bothered me). How about Game over screens. Be honest has there ever been a Game over screen that made you feel very,very uneasy or scared in the slightest. I am going to post 3 Game over screens that still make me uneasy. Go ahead and poke fun but sometimes we fear stupid stuff. Alright here we go.

least scary but still bugs me sometimes.

From Zelda II : Adventure of link

This screen used to scare me so bad as a kid that I was afraid to close my eyes and sleep because i know ganon would appear in my dreams and laugh at me.Something about how ganon looks in that screen urks me. no longer much of a fear anymore though but still does it to me at times. Now on to the 2nd most scariest G/O ever.

From the game "Splatterhouse 3" for the genesis

This screen still makes me uneasy, the music especially. The continue music was bad enough. Combine the two and you have this scary screen that made me have nightmares and had the most frightful sight. I got chills now just thinking about it. Now...this ain't easy for me..this screen is considered cool by some but for me its a hellish nightmare. here goes....

From the Genesis game "Risky Woods"

This screen is horrible,horrible,horrible! Just looking at it now is making me shake. I don't know why I find this screen so scary and obnoxious but I do. I believe in a game when its done it should just say "game over,try again" HOWEVER NO! They had to take it over the top with this screen, The music for it is just as haunting. Now the amiga version of the G/O tune isn't bad but the genesis one is bad that I can't even begin to describe the horror this screen gave me the first time I saw it. I remember loosing my appetite for pizza that I was eating after picking this for a rental. My god.

Alright there I showed you a fear that I am not proud of. Now if you have a G/O that has pissed you off or scared you in some way. Please post I am curious to see if you had a problem as I. I hope you enjoy!

-DemoniusX2-
    System
    79987 Posts
    17 years, 1 month ago
    I've never been scared by a game over screen in my entire life. The game over screen from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for Playstation is pretty eerie, though.
      Rainbow_Bright
      2505 Posts
      17 years, 1 month ago
      are you serious? is he serious? scared of a game over logo, never happened to me, sounds rather silly.
        djbriguy
        61 Posts
        17 years, 1 month ago
        didnt you write an article about this and it was deleted?

Not sure how move/game over screens scare you...?!

I know some video games themselves would be scary... like Friday the 13th for Nintendo when JASON would randomly appear in the room you were in.
          mr-funky
          1620 Posts
          17 years, 1 month ago
          A lot of the capcom game's that are horror related or have horrorish type of genre(Resident Evil, Onimusha) now say in red "You Died" and the screen blurs...

and if you played Silent Hill 3, this sometimes happens when you die!...

Game Over
            rirotostichi
            1841 Posts
            17 years, 1 month ago
            I remember being REALLY disturbed by the "you ran out of lives" jingle in Gex 3D: Enter the gecko.
            In many sonic games, I try not to stay in the water too long (or replenish air as soon as possible) so I don't hear the awful "you're running out of air" tune (it isn't so bad in Sonic on Neo Geo Pocket, but I still need to replenish my air) .
              shiroihikari
              1751 Posts
              17 years, 1 month ago
              The game over screen on Starfox was kinda weird looking, what with that...monkey man thing. (Andross?)
              Coming Soon to Nostalgia Junkie: Nostalgiathon 2009!
                DemoniusX2
                45 Posts
                17 years, 1 month ago
                yeah, Andross. That one made me uneasy.

Oh and the RE games had really bad G/O screens too "You Died" if your a kid or someone who get easily shocked by Vauge messages like that is bad.

Well like I stated I am NOT proud of this little fear of mine, its something I can live with. If you think I am bad...ever see those people scared of peaches,plums or spiders? my fear is up there too but I think my fear isn't blown out of proportain.

if you wanna see other Uneasy Game over screens I suggest 3 other titles, I don't have the pics for them but I will name the games and you can check them out or if you want I can put them on here.

Ninja Gaiden (Arcade)
                Rastan (Arcade)
                Blades of Vengence (genesis)

these are bad.
                  Ilikethepixies
                  5870 Posts
                  17 years, 1 month ago
                  Good idea for a thread. I agree with Mr. Funky, Resident Evil's game over screen filled me with existential dread (I'm not being sarcastic, it really did.)
                    DemoniusX2
                    45 Posts
                    17 years, 1 month ago
                    Yay, Thanks! I just thought it would be cool to show or express on what video game screens made us feel uneasy. Some Game over screens are just really,really bad like the Risky woods one!
                      Forgotten_sin
                      889 Posts
                      17 years, 1 month ago
                      i agree on the Zelda II Game over screen. it used to scare me when i was younger. mostly for the "UHH UHH UHH UHH UHH!" Noise that would happen.

Check out my blog.
                      http://tooncrap.blogspot.com/
                        DemoniusX2
                        45 Posts
                        17 years, 1 month ago
                        that sound.......ugh, the sound and the picture mix up to the a bad G/O screen. I am glad I am not alone on that.Tonight I am going to post the games I mentioned before so be prepared....
                          FilmationGirl
                          209 Posts
                          17 years, 1 month ago
                          While not particularly scary, I do agree the Ganon screen is creepy. Another one I can't stand to look at is the game screen when starting Nightmare on Elm Street, with the badly drawn Freddy image with claws already in his fingers. It's suppose to resemble a cover for Part 2, but this one is twice as bad.
                            PoopsMcGee
                            473 Posts
                            17 years, 1 month ago
                            I would have to say that when you died in Half-Life (PC Version) was kinda odd. There was no "Game Over" screen, you would die and fall to the ground. You could move the mouse to "look around" but you yourself were imoble, that and there was a noise like the heart-rate-thing in the hospitle, when you flat-line or whatever.

The "scary" thing wasn't the non-exsistent "GAME OVER" screen, it was that you could look around (it was an FPS) and see things around you. For example, if you fell and died, you could look around and see your guts and blood that was littered around yourself.
                              DemoniusX2
                              45 Posts
                              17 years, 1 month ago
                              whoa, that sounds like something I would stay away from, I did enjoy the first HL game.

Elm street Title screen sucked, the way freddy looks at you (even though it IS badly drawn) . I didn't like that either. Oh I thought of a new game over screen. The one froim the game uninvited. Shows a big red skull with blood in the back ground and says "your quest is over" I need to make a screen capture of some of the ones i mentioning, if I time tonight I will.

Ok, after doing some screen shots I brought some more evil "Game over" screens so people can see what Looks evil in a Game Over screen. I am working on getting the "blades of Vengence" Since it is divided into 3 parts and its rather disturbing. Until then here is some I made snaps of a few mins ago.

This is from the Arcade game Rastan (this screen was also seen in the Pc version of the game) I saw this when I went to major magics pizzeria when i was 6 and it scared me so bad that I couldn't move. Now it doesn't bother me but the thought of having Rastans skull and sword in that pile with a flame surrounding the pile is morbid as hell.

This G/O screen is sad, it made me want to plunk in quarters so I could save ryu but I never could at times. So you hear a obnoxious tune with this evil screen. Very ridiculous and evil.

Ha! I remember when me and my brothers friend would play this game during the night hours back when we were 9 and I remember when I first saw this screen, I ran out of the room! However my friend steve knew my "fear" and understood it (unlike some people) and every time this screen came up or was bout to my friend covered my eyes.

Rastans G/O screen won't show up for some reason, but click the link and you'll be able to see it.

There you have it. more screens to share with you all. I am going to try to find a way to share some G/O tunes with this thread. However this isn't the end. I will get more....just wait. :)
                                17 years, 1 month ago
                                The Ghost and Ghouls made by CAPCOM for SNES was the scariest game for me, as a kid. I was really scared of the whole game. The game over scene was simple, but the music was a creepy hymn and the writing was blue fire.
                                Sorry cant find a screenshot.
                                Leading the charge against the downfall of cartoons since 1988! TM, Copyrighted, All Rights Reserved!
                                Give me a Mesozoic Mind!
                                Did you know, i used to be one of the Goonies?
                                  tigediane
                                  331 Posts
                                  17 years, 1 month ago
                                  This may not be scary to a lot of people, but i was afraid of the game over screen in street fighter 2. Actually, it started with the continue screen where there was a countdown from 9 to 0, and as the numbers went down the screen faded to black and white. It didn't help matters much when your "you lost the fight" face was on screen, usually bloody and mangled, beside the number.
                                    RetroGAL
                                    181 Posts
                                    17 years, 1 month ago
                                    The Zelda 2 game over screen still scares the hell out of me that laugh does not make it any better.
                                    LETS DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN:)
                                      Forgotten_sin
                                      889 Posts
                                      17 years, 1 month ago
                                      The Friday the 13th game had not so much a scary one, but a Rather blunt and to the point one that said:

"You and your friends are Dead. Game Over"

Check out my blog.
                                      http://tooncrap.blogspot.com/
                                        YingYong
                                        4 Posts
                                        17 years, 1 month ago
                                        There is only one video game game over screen that has ever made me jump.

It's in Super Smash Bros, and if you lose all of your stock in 1P mode, you will go to a dark screen with your character on the ground. If you dont want to continue, this ominous voice says " GAAAME OVER" really loudly. It gets dark after that, and the voice is enough to drive someone crazy.
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss