skaterboy572
135 Posts
17 years ago
what were your favorite holiday specials?
i used to love the pete and pete halloween episode, and the Doug christmas special
    GrimmBilly
    211 Posts
    17 years ago
    I think the Garfield Halloween special was my all time favorite. I can remember being really frightened by those ghost pirates.
    The Rakin/Bass stop-motion animation Christmas specials were also really good. I can remember a Family Circus Christmas special also. I wouldn't mind seeing that one again. And of course there were all the Peanuts specials.

Does anyone remember the Far Side Halloween special that aired back in 94? I still have it on tape somewhere. Classic.
    " I still function! "
    - Megatron
      Maria
      42 Posts
      17 years ago
      Other than the obvious all-time greats (Garfield, Peanuts and the Rankin-Bass specials), i loved Christmas Eve on Sesame Street and the He-man/She-ra Christmas Special. I'm sure there's more that i like, i just can't hink right now...
        Vinnie_Zoom
        21 Posts
        17 years ago
        Maria
        Other than the obvious all-time greats (Garfield, Peanuts and the Rankin-Bass specials), i loved Christmas Eve on Sesame Street and the He-man/She-ra Christmas Special. I'm sure there's more that i like, i just can't hink right now...

Don't lie. You know your favorite "holdiay special" is the one they have every year at Chi-Chi's for Cinqo de Mayo. It's the only day of the year that you have an excuse to drink all the pina coladas that your heart desires.

-Vinnie-
          Maria
          42 Posts
          17 years ago
          awww man, i thought u woulda forgot about that pic by now... :lol:
            Vinnie_Zoom
            21 Posts
            17 years ago
            Maria
            awww man, i thought u woulda forgot about that pic by now... :lol:

No, I didn't forget. And putting up a new icon of Calvin, Hobbs, Tigger, the Cowardly Lion or whoever the hell it is running around there won't make me forget either. Putting up another picture of yourself MIGHT work.

Might.

-Vinnie-
              Maria
              42 Posts
              17 years ago
              I'll have to work on that. Unfortunately my scanner no longer works.... :? I guess you'll be forever stuck with the image unless i get my scanner fixed. :lol:

oh, and it's Hobbes :wink:
                System
                79987 Posts
                17 years ago
                Holiday specials I grew up with:

-Garfield Christmas
                -Muppet Family Christmas (this is still great...you can get it on DVD now though i think they cut out a few little parts)
                -Garfield Halloween (scary pirate ghosts)
                -Peanuts specials -- Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter Beagle
                -Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
                -How the Grinch Stole Christmas
                -The Easter Bunny is Coming to Town (it was claymation-like, stop motion animation people...anyone remember this one? ive still got it on tape!)
                -The First Easter Rabbit (animated. still have it on tape)
                -Mickey's Christmas Carol
                -Rudolph the red nosed reindeer

wow so many im sure there are a few more but those are the ones that come to mind now! lotsa good ones.
                  Cybertooth85
                  76 Posts
                  17 years ago
                  -Will Vinton's Christmas Special (California Raisins doing Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer=Music Gold)
                  -Rankin-Bass' Rudolph specials
                  -The Easter Bunny is Coming to Town (This is where I first heard Big Rock Candy Mountain until it was revived for O Brother Where Art Thou?)
                  -The Grinch Stole Christmas (The REAL one, with that awesome, deep, deep Bass singing while the Grinch steals, "You're a mean one/Mr. Griiiiiiiinch...")
                  "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the good deeds along with the ill, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence."
                    SSJ_Jup81
                    4806 Posts
                    17 years ago
                    Outside of the obvious ones that still come on now (Peanuts [Halloween/Christmas]; How the Grinch Stole Christmas), one of my favorites is the Bugs Bunny Halloween Special. If I'm remembering right, CBS used to show this every year. It's sad how they stopped showing it. They may show the cartoons that some of the special consisted of on the Bugs Bunny & Tweety show (which also no longer comes on -_-), but not the special.

Does anyone else remember this?
                      System
                      79987 Posts
                      16 years, 7 months ago
                      Hands down, Garfield Halloween. I memorized the whole cartoon and acted it out. I loved Garfield and still do.

I have all the garfield holiday cartoons and specials and all the charlie brown etc.

Do you remember Disney's Halloween Treat? I loved it also. I've got it too recorded from the original vhs release before it was copyrighted.

They need to show these on the Holidays. Atleast the most known, I think.
                        System
                        79987 Posts
                        16 years, 7 months ago
                        Usagi-chan
                        -The Easter Bunny is Coming to Town (it was claymation-like, stop motion animation people...anyone remember this one? ive still got it on tape!)

How can I forget? The Easter Bunny is Coming to Town Today. DODADODADODADODADO. lol.
                          Mystie
                          1132 Posts
                          16 years, 7 months ago
                          Halloween - Garfield Halloween, Ernest Scared Stupid, The Witches, Nightmare Before Christmas.

Thanksgiving - Garfield Thanksgiving

Christmas - Garfield Christmas, all the Muppet Xmas specials, Christmas Vacation, Mickey's Christmas Carol.
                            Cyber_Bishop
                            2440 Posts
                            16 years, 7 months ago
                            For me my fave holiday special of all time is Rudolph..
                            Ker click... Choom..
                              darthbogan2
                              29 Posts
                              16 years, 7 months ago
                              i hated all charlie brown specials. i thought they were the most boring pieces of crap ever. when their creator died i played that charlie brown song on the piano and sang"no more peanut specials, no more peanut specials" to the tune of it. what fun.
                              My birthday is august 20 1976
                              I live in New York City.
                              I'm married
                              thats all you need to know about me
                                RaZZu
                                408 Posts
                                16 years, 7 months ago
                                darthbogan2
                                i hated all charlie brown specials. i thought they were the most boring pieces of crap ever. when their creator died i played that charlie brown song on the piano and sang"no more peanut specials, no more peanut specials" to the tune of it. what fun.

Quit being an asshole.
                                And now for something completely different................
                                  Cybertooth85
                                  76 Posts
                                  16 years, 7 months ago
                                  As a Dark Lord, it's part of the by-laws:

1) Lop off appendages
                                  2) Speak in raspy, reptilian voice
                                  3) Be an enormous #$^*-off
                                  "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the good deeds along with the ill, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence."
                                    foxmxer
                                    90 Posts
                                    16 years, 7 months ago
                                    chandlertigger
                                    Hands down, Garfield Halloween. I memorized the whole cartoon and acted it out.

I'm glad to know that me and my friend weren't the only ones doing this.
                                      System
                                      79987 Posts
                                      16 years, 7 months ago
                                      I can't believe no one here mentioned Pee-wee's Playhouse Christmas Special. I've watched it every year since it first aired. I still have my BetaMax copy I taped off of TV. I also really "enjoy" the Star Wars Holiday Special.

And this Halloween you should try to track down a copy of the Paul Lynde Halloween Special. It marked the first appearence of KISS.
                                        System
                                        79987 Posts
                                        16 years, 7 months ago
                                        This is bordering on thread necromancy, but I noticed these aren't listed...

Halloween:

The Mark Summers Halloween Special. I really loved this one. I remember being all annoyed one year because my parents made me go out to dinner with them. They said we'd be back in time for me to see it, but everything took too long and I missed it.

Thanksgiving:

Nick had an excellent Thanksgiving special that had a few different parts. One of them was about a poor family with nothing more than a can of beans for the big dinner, but the kids got sucked into some kind of dreamworld where a whole thanksgiving dinner was cooked. The next day it was all in the kitchen still.

Christmas:

Who can forget all those stop motion animation specials that were on USA. Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, the island of misfit toys, etc. As I remember, USA network had quite a few good Christmas specials.

Nick had another good special about some toy land, but I can't remember the details.
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss