NickMania
1037 Posts
16 years, 10 months ago
Seriously I think the terrorist attacks of 9/11/2001 have something to do with all the classic looney tunes cartoons that were on t.v. just a few years ago getting banned on t.v. as offensive does anyone else feel this way like i do?
    Badkitty
    912 Posts
    16 years, 10 months ago
    I don't think that 9/11 was the determining influence on the banned Looney Toons Cartoons. I think the fact of the matter is that they just weren't PC. Things were way different back then, and alot of the things that are done and said are just not appropriate by today's standards. I think that most of it had to do with racism and the ways that the characters were portrayed. Check out this link you'll see what I mean.

http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/banned-cartoons/
    I don't know about you, Miss Kitty, but I feel so much... yummier
      Thew
      189 Posts
      16 years, 10 months ago
      wait they banned Looney Toons! :shock:
      that is insane

My Article: The Fox Kids Club - The End of an Era
        NickMania
        1037 Posts
        16 years, 10 months ago
        Badkitty
        I don't think that 9/11 was the determining influence on the banned Looney Toons Cartoons. I think the fact of the matter is that they just weren't PC. Things were way different back then, and alot of the things that are done and said are just not appropriate by today's standards. I think that most of it had to do with racism and the ways that the characters were portrayed. Check out this link you'll see what I mean.

http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/banned-cartoons/

it means our nation is crumbling this country just isn't what it used to be oh and yes it did have an affect on some of them because many of the cartoons were from the times of World War 2 and since 9/11/01 it makes some people in the country more scared of what could happen such as a nuclear explosion so they take off the cartoons to make it so people won't think about suck things as much and that is why they took them off the air and that is why 9/11/01 definately does have something to do with it.
          skaterboy572
          135 Posts
          16 years, 10 months ago
          well, other than those certain episodes of looney toones that were deemed appropriate a few years ago, i am almost certain that cartoons started to crack down way more on muslim/arab stereotypes and other stereotypes after 9/11. Also, i find it kind of interesting that some other looney tunes were banned. I downloaded a few, which were offensive to black people and some which date back to world war II.
            NickMania
            1037 Posts
            16 years, 10 months ago
            oh and remember the tex avery show what happend to that show it's no conicidence that show was also banned on t.v.
              Thew
              189 Posts
              16 years, 10 months ago
              ah yes Tex Avery
              my mom wouldn't let me watch that when it was on TV a long time ago
              but i did anyways

My Article: The Fox Kids Club - The End of an Era
                Edymnion
                2304 Posts
                16 years, 10 months ago
                Yes, it had some effect.
                The Lilo and Stitch movie originally had them stealing a plane from an airport and flying it through a city, narrowly dodging tall buildings. Then 9/11 hit, and they ran back to animate a new ending. Which is why, if you notice, the interior of the alien spaceship looks like a 747. They just drew over several things and reused the cells they already had.

But they've been banning them for years.
                The very first episode that Bugs said "I should have made the left turn at Albequirqui" had him popping up in Japan during WW2, with a squinty eyed, monkey faced Japanese general standing there. Whom Bugs proceeded to let have it.

It was deemed politically incorrect, and is no longer aired.
                Like much of Tom & Jerry where Tom's face blows up, and he had blackface in the originals. Now they cut out the blackface bit.

Badkitty
                  912 Posts
                  16 years, 10 months ago
                  Yeah they've been cracking down on sterotyped cartoons and movies since the 90's when the PC movment really started to pickup. 9/11 may have had some affect on things like Nuclear war & some stereotypes but alot these cartoons had stopped being aired way before 9/11. I do belive though that our country is in trouble and definitly not what it used to be but I am here for retro fun not politics so I will leave it at that.
                  I don't know about you, Miss Kitty, but I feel so much... yummier
                    System
                    79987 Posts
                    16 years, 10 months ago
                    I am a huge Simpsons fan, and i know one episode that will probably never air again,is the one where Homer has to make a trip to New York to get his car that Barney drove off with after a night of drinking,well he arrives in N.Y. and his car has a boot on it.along with a crapload of parking tickets in the windshield.the car however is parked right in front of the world trade center towers.at one point he has to stay and wati for the officer to arrive but he has to relieve himself really bad so he leaves the car and runs up into the tower 1 and the bathroom is full so re runs back to tower2 and finally goes.all you see are the towers and Homer as he's peeing shouting Oh God what relief or something like that. If you've seen this episode get back to me!
                      System
                      79987 Posts
                      16 years, 10 months ago
                      it sorta did, i think Cowboy Bebop The Movie (i know its technicaly anime) was supposed to debut in Japan that day but was cancelled due to the terrorist attacks....btw if you havent seen it its pretty much about terrorism....ironic eh?
                        bleukeekat
                        407 Posts
                        16 years, 10 months ago
                        reddfoxx

they've played that episode of the simpsons since 9/11 quite a few times.

real quick background: i had to wait 8 hours to find out if my father was still alive,he works around the block from the towers for hte past thirty years and he had to run away from fire. i took my paycheck that week spent all of it on supplies, dropped them off at chelsea piers then went to and prayed in union square, lit candles, sang et cet.

i love that the media is not hiding what happened. i love that i can see them everytime i watch friends, sex and the city et cet. although they did at first block out the images but now they're all over the place. and i love it when that episode of the simpsons comes on. penn and telelr just did something about it too.
                        miaow >^..^<

Oh dear I've re-dorkulated!
                          Devo
                          46 Posts
                          16 years, 10 months ago
                          One cartoon that they cut was an episode of Droppy on cartoon newtwork. There is a part that droopy says to spike the dog "Hey blackie any more babes in there". I was watching this episode one time and when this part came up they cut it off.
                            Jason43
                            1494 Posts
                            16 years, 10 months ago
                            I think 90% of the reason old cartoons are edited like that or not shown at all nowadays is because of racial issues, just like mentioned above. I think alot of people don't realize just how offensive some of the old toons were because they've never seen them. I know I've seen several episodes of Tom and Jerry where the black nanny's voice was redubbed. And as stated above, there were all kinds of Looney Toons episodes that made blatant racial jokes, usually aimed towards blacks or asians. I'm surprised they even still showed these episodes when I was growing up.

I don't really buy the 9/11 excuss. They do still show war time episodes of looney toons, complete with airplanes and dogfights.
                              System
                              79987 Posts
                              16 years, 10 months ago
                              I think a lot of the "racial" stuff is the censors being a bit too sensitive there is a lot of racism in this world but i think banning and cutting certain cartoons makes it worse. It makes the issue far more sensitive and then people become less aware. However i know they had to change the original release of Spiderman the Movie because one of the scenes had spiderman spinning a web between the two towers
                                16 years, 10 months ago
                                BigChrispy
                                I think a lot of the "racial" stuff is the censors being a bit too sensitive there is a lot of racism in this world but i think banning and cutting certain cartoons makes it worse. It makes the issue far more sensitive and then people become less aware. However i know they had to change the original release of Spiderman the Movie because one of the scenes had spiderman spinning a web between the two towers

That scene was never in the movie. It was specifically shot as a trailer. They just pulled the trailer from theaters.

Looney Tunes were NOT affected by 9/11 at all. Those cartoons have been out of circulation for 10+ years mostly for not being very PC and offensive to blacks, asians, etc.
                                Look at Disney's "Song of the South", same reason that's dissapeared, and why Fantasia was edited to cut out the little "sambo" kids who clean the Centaurs hooves.
                                The Tex Avery cartoons still air, on TCM. I think two Saturdays a month.

I used to work for the Cartoon Network in the UK in 2003 and the only time we pulled some Looney Tunes cartoons was during the US invasion of Iraq some of the more over the top and violent WWII era ones were pulled off for a bit. But that's about it, and that had nothing to do with 9/11.
                                  Jason43
                                  1494 Posts
                                  16 years, 10 months ago
                                  BigChrispy

These episodes were more than just a little offensive. They were very blatant and honestly, I think its for the best that they're not shown today. If you could actually see some of the worst examples, you'd understand why. I do think that they should be available on dvd for collectors, but shown on tv, no.
                                    Strandysmommy
                                    617 Posts
                                    16 years, 10 months ago
                                    I was working at this one day care center in the preschool room and we had this Looney Tunes VHS (remember those?) that we put on one rainy day for the kids. There was this Bugs Bunny cartoon, and at the end he was going to be executed and he gets one last request and he goes: "I wish....um, I wish... I wish I were in Dixie, HURRAY HURRAY!" And then it goes into "Camptown Races" and all the executing soldiers transform into black faced men in white tuxedoes.

Both I and the other teacher, who was about 110% more liberal than me, just gawked at each other. Thank goodness these kids were all about 3 or 4 and hopefully didn't really think much of it.

My boyfriend and I saw the musical Peter Pan this weekend, and it sparked a discussion of the Disney version. How offensive it could be to Native Americans. The whole "we're out to get some injuns, injuns, injuns..." and the whole "How! Me scalpum Peter Pan!" Yeah, even Disney was pretty, um...yeh.
                                      videos4ever
                                      191 Posts
                                      14 years, 2 months ago
                                      MY DAD DIED IN 9/11!
                                        nippy
                                        2386 Posts
                                        14 years, 2 months ago
                                        videos4ever
                                        MY DAD DIED IN 9/11!

Any reason why you're bumping up a thread from '05?
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss