System
79987 Posts
16 years, 7 months ago
With Halloween coming up, I need some good "bad" 80s horror movies, beyond the usual Halloween/Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street franchises...

Preferably ones on DVD.

So far I've got Sleepaway Camp, Salem's Lot, The Fog, Terror Train and Hellraiser lined up to rent...

Any other suggestions?
    MattNash
    4135 Posts
    16 years, 7 months ago
    "Evil Dead 2", the most fun you'l have in an hout and thirty minutes, you don't even have to have seen the first one.
      System
      79987 Posts
      16 years, 7 months ago
      Texas Chainsalmassacre(the original, or was it from the 70s), C.H.U.D., Frightnight, Day of the Dead, House, Poltergiest, Sleepaway Camp 2, Critters, The Ghoulies, People Under the Stairs, Serpent and the Rainbow, night of Demons, Slumber Party Massacre, Pumpkin Head, Exorcist 2, Army of Darkness, Children of the Corn
        System
        79987 Posts
        16 years, 7 months ago
        "My Bloody Valentine", "Prom Night", "Tourist Trap"
          16 years, 7 months ago
          Phantasm, The Thing, Sometimes they Come Back,

Brain Dead and Bad Taste!

If you want real retro, then maybe Dolls? The Child's Play Movies?

j
          Constructicon: "Nobody would follow an uncharasmatic bore like you!"

Rumble: "Nobody calls Soundwave un-chrasa-matic!"
            16 years, 7 months ago
            Creepshow
              16 years, 7 months ago
              So... what have you got against Creepshow 2?

Actually which one is it that has 'The Raft' in it?

I've read all the tales that appear in Creepshow 1+2 (In Skeleton Crew and Night Shift.) and find them to be vintage SK!!

j
              Constructicon: "Nobody would follow an uncharasmatic bore like you!"

Rumble: "Nobody calls Soundwave un-chrasa-matic!"
                bleukeekat
                407 Posts
                16 years, 7 months ago
                ice cream man, suspiria (one of the scariest), prom night 4 is way better than the original, phantom of the paradise is pretty freaky, brain dead is great (mentioned above) but it goes under two titles if you cant find it in bd, dead alive. if you're going peter jackson, BD/DA is the best but meet the feebles is also awesome and a good halloween movie, its like the muppets on acid
                miaow >^..^<

Oh dear I've re-dorkulated!
                  GrimmBilly
                  211 Posts
                  16 years, 7 months ago
                  Autobot_Matrix
                  Actually which one is it that has 'The Raft' in it?

Creepshow 2 has The Raft.

One classic you can't forget about is Pet Semetary. Although I wouldn't consider it a "bad" horror film. It's one of the few that have managed to pass the test of time and it is still scary and disturbing.
                  " I still function! "
                  - Megatron
                    System
                    79987 Posts
                    16 years, 7 months ago
                    Critters? that's actually a comedy/Sci-fi flick, and yes Texas Chainsaw Massacre was in the 70's while part 2 was in 1986.

Here are some great 80's horror flicks i recommend:

"Evil Dead 1 & 2".
                    " Re-Animator".
                    " Day of the Dead".
                    " Demons".
                    " Lifeforce". (Great 1985 Sci-fi horror hybrid)
                    " Nightmare City ( a.k.a. City of the Walking Dead)". ( The TRUE source of running zombies)".
                    " Cannibal Holocaust". ( the inspiration to the Blair Witch Project, very disturbing, graphic and realistic Italian horror tale that is hard to watch)
                    " American Werewolf in London".
                    " Zombie".
                    " City of the living Dead ( a.k.a. Gates of Hell)".
                    " House By The Cemetery".
                    " The Beyond".
                    " The Return of the Living Dead" ( also had early running zombies).
                    " Maniac ( 1980)".
                    " Halloween 2".
                    " Hellraiser 1 & 2".
                    " Nightmare on Elm Street 1 & 3".
                    " Friday The 13th series".
                    " Phenomena ( a.k.a. Creepers)".
                    " Scanners".
                      System
                      79987 Posts
                      16 years, 7 months ago
                      Those are some great suggestions - thanks all! :lol:

I'm particularly psyched about the Cannibal Holocaust one....sounds freaktastic.
                        GrimmBilly
                        211 Posts
                        16 years, 7 months ago
                        Night of the Creeps is also a classic, but pretty hard to find. Why isn't it out on DVD yet?! :evil:
                        " I still function! "
                        - Megatron
                          punky
                          441 Posts
                          16 years, 7 months ago
                          I love the creepshows. I recently found them in the $5.50 bin at Walmart. I HAD to buy them!
                            System
                            79987 Posts
                            16 years, 7 months ago
                            Don't think it's on DVD but a really scary '80's movie is Dark Night of the Scarecrow. I've seen it a few times but not recently. Check it out if you get the chance.

~Karen
                              System
                              79987 Posts
                              16 years, 7 months ago
                              Dorothy_Zbornak
                              Those are some great suggestions - thanks all! :lol:

I'm particularly psyched about the Cannibal Holocaust one....sounds freaktastic.

Thanks! all must see movies for horror fans, but be warned "Cannibal Holocaust" is a very unpleasant, realistic, sick and fascinaing documentary-esque Italian horror cult classic that isn't for weak stomaches or hearts, it's hard to watch but a unique movie, coming to DVD next month on the 25th and this movie was the inspiration to "The Blair Witch Project" with the same kind of movie camera trickery of realism and same idea about trying to find a lost filmmaker's footage while trying to do a documentary.
                                16 years, 7 months ago
                                motel hell is corny but entertaining! phantasm 2 is action packed and gorier then the 1st one (though the first is still the best!). another movie to see is the gate. I saw part of the movie deadly friend on tv when I was younger and some of that seemed creepy.
                                  System
                                  79987 Posts
                                  16 years, 7 months ago
                                  How about "Vamp" with Grace Jones? Now that is pretty campy - and VERY 80s!
                                    Mystie
                                    1132 Posts
                                    16 years, 7 months ago
                                    Does Once Bitten count as a horror movie? I like that one. :lol:
                                      System
                                      79987 Posts
                                      16 years, 7 months ago
                                      I forgot to mention, "Cannibal Holocaust" does also have actual animal killing in it such as a real turtle getting ripped from it's shell to be prepared as dinner by the cannibal tribes.
                                        noshadow
                                        140 Posts
                                        16 years, 7 months ago
                                        If you want bad 80s horror, I'd suggest 1 of 2 movies:

1) Monster Squad - a group of pre-teen bastards fight the classic monsters. very 80s and had surprisingly good effects.

2) Rawhead Rex - It's very 80s and very BAD.
                                        "Serenity now. Insanity later."
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss