mikeofga
5 Posts
17 years, 5 months ago
I am trying to remember a particular commercial from the 1970s. What I remember about it is that it showed a guy slouching in a chair in his sparsely furnished room with a lamp on, and there was a wind blowing on him from his stereo. I don't remember what it was a commercial for. Does anyone remember this commercial, what it was for, and where I might find a copy of it? Thank you.
    Video_Jukebox
    1068 Posts
    17 years, 5 months ago
    Sounds like those old ads for Maxell tapes.

"Preserving the old ways from being abused,
    Protecting the new ways for me and for you.
    What more can we do?"
    --The Kinks, "Village Green Preservation Society"
      System
      79987 Posts
      17 years, 5 months ago
      Video_Jukebox
      Sounds like those old ads for Maxell tapes.

I always thought this was the 80's?
        mikeofga
        5 Posts
        17 years, 5 months ago
        That's it! Thank you! I thought it was in the late '70s, but maybe it was early '80s, I'm not sure.
          mikeofga
          5 Posts
          17 years, 5 months ago
          Here's what Wikipedia says:

In the 1980s, Maxell became an icon of pop culture when it produced advertisements popularly known as "Blown Away Guy" for its line of audio cassettes. The original campaign began as a trade ad in 1978 and was made into TV spots in 1979 which ran throughout the 1980s. Steve Steigman was the photographer[1] and Richard Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" was used for music. In the UK the music used was "A Night on the Bare mountain" by Modest Mussorgsky.
            musicradio77
            739 Posts
            17 years, 5 months ago
            I love the Maxell tapes, but the "Blown away guy" became a true icon of the Maxell brand.
              Video_Jukebox
              1068 Posts
              17 years, 5 months ago
              Yeah, if memory serves, Maxell made some of the best quality cassette tapes we could get (and probably still do, although I haven't made a mix tape since 2001 or so). They lived up to the image. 8)
              "Preserving the old ways from being abused,
              Protecting the new ways for me and for you.
              What more can we do?"
              --The Kinks, "Village Green Preservation Society"
                An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss