90skid555
        257 Posts
        14 years, 1 month ago
        I remember trading pokemon cards at recess food fights playing in class
        kid still stuck in the 90s
          garion22
          79 Posts
          14 years, 1 month ago
          I remember on the playground, we had this metal dome that you could climb on...but we didn't do that. Two people wanna fight, they go there...the THUNDER DOME!! Okay, I saw only one fight there, but we still called it that. It was awesome!
            Hoogs
            233 Posts
            14 years, 1 month ago
            I remember being chased by girls constantly, even in indoor recess. Up and down the bleachers...
            My YouTube Channel (commercials from the late 80s/early 90s):

http://www.youtube.com/user/YourRetroCommercials/videos
              YoJoe83
              393 Posts
              14 years, 1 month ago
              -kissing a girl through the monkey bars on the play-ground
              -dying for a drink of water after recess every day
              -Show and Tell
              -When Magic the Card game first came out
              -having multiple girlfriends and them not caring
              -Seven Up
              -Musical Chairs
              -some in-class school parties
              -some influential teachers-one of which taught me to speed read. OUT LOUD. Its really something, I don't talk fast but damn can I spit some words out when I'm reading...
              -He Man
              -The Terminator (and getting my Terminator toy taken up in class OOH I was so pissed! Still pisses me off to think about it)
              -Getting a keepsake hacky sack taken up for no reason just for having it and it was given to me by someone really special and now that asshole teacher has probably thrown it away by now.
              UFC is great
                SharonTheJedi
                317 Posts
                14 years, 1 month ago
                I remember
                Wearing my black Converse and the other girls making fun of me because I didn't have a "girl" color.
                Trading plastic charms on our charm necklaces.
                Singing Michael Jackson songs and making up gymnastic routines at recess.
                Discussing the Challenger crash (a few years after it crashed) and "Baby Jessica".
                [/code]
                  Mr_Retro92
                  849 Posts
                  14 years, 1 month ago
                  Over here in England we don't call it 'Elementry' school, its called Primary school. Anywhere my school was crap and the only decent thing we ever did was play 'BB' (British Bulldog).
                  The Gang

davidyck
                    129 Posts
                    14 years, 1 month ago
                    actually i really hated elementary school, which was for me just a big fortress where grownups shoved unwanted info in your head, kids made fun of you at recess, and all the dang rules they enforce. im really glad im out of the place.
                      MrCleveland
                      1066 Posts
                      14 years, 1 month ago
                      5th and 6th Grade Rocked, but 7th and 8th Grade Sucked.
                        jenniferswe
                        403 Posts
                        14 years, 1 month ago
                        I remember it sucked! You had to line up for everything. You couldn't leave when the bell rang, you had to stay until you were told to leave.
                        What are you people!? On dope!?

System
                          79987 Posts
                          14 years, 1 month ago
                          I started school in a nice suburb of Cleveland that was nicely funded. Before 3rd grade we move out to the sticks of Lorain County where every one had roots in West Virginia and were related to each other. The school couldn't pass a bond issue to get money and the text books were so old the the kids in them had afros and bell bottoms the first time they were cool.
                            Copper20
                            601 Posts
                            14 years, 1 month ago
                            A small chunk of september 1999. We were discussing that Floyd was coming and then I asked my 2nd grade teacher (She was the same for my 1st grade year) and she said she didn't know. During the night I watched a little coverage of Floyd that it was a TS.
                              KISSKRAZY
                              450 Posts
                              14 years, 1 month ago
                              scrathched up records and ripped music books
                              "No beer and no TV make Homer...something something."
                              "Go crazy ?"
                              "Don't mind if i do !"
                                lorax
                                977 Posts
                                14 years, 1 month ago
                                Mine was a little suburban school in the neighborhood next to mine. It was of course red brick and had two playgrounds (one for kindergarten and one for 1-5). The land was an apple orchard a century before, so it was called Orchard Park Elementary. Apples were everywhere and there was a carpeted apple right infront of the main intrance and it was a "rule" that you could not step on it. It really was a neat building. At recess we could play on the black-top (parking lot), 1-5 playground, or the huge area of a grass that separated the playground and black-top. There was a caged in water-pipe that went into a hill and we used to pretend that the Ninja Turtles lived there.
                                "This scar is a fleck on my porcelain skin, tried to reach deep but you couldn't get in..."
                                  mlw1984
                                  1435 Posts
                                  14 years, 1 month ago
                                  We used to play SNES during lunch time on rainy days back in 1st-5th grade

We went to the zoo in 5th grade, it was a blast.

Lunch time was usually switching food items between each other and talking about our favorite TV shows/video games.

Playing with TMNT toys (even the girls)
                                    Strandysmommy
                                    617 Posts
                                    14 years, 1 month ago
                                    I remember tons. I wrote an article about it here on RJ. I remember what the rooms felt like on the warm fall days with the windows open and the room being so sunny we didn't even need lights on. And chalk dust, the smell of desk cleaner, the lunch room, and even the putrid scent of pink vomit sawdust. Most of my classrooms were carpteded with this strained carrot orange carpet.

We had hooks in this back room (our 1st grade teacher called it the "cloak room") and we hung our junk in there. I remember the pain in the butt it was in winter to get our boots and snowpants on for recess and lunch recess. Oh and naturally, the reading books, and bulky green screened computers. :D
                                      Falcor
                                      142 Posts
                                      14 years, 1 month ago
                                      Strandysmommy
                                      I remember tons. I wrote an article about it here on RJ. I remember what the rooms felt like on the warm fall days with the windows open and the room being so sunny we didn't even need lights on. And chalk dust, the smell of desk cleaner, the lunch room, and even the putrid scent of pink vomit sawdust. Most of my classrooms were carpteded with this strained carrot orange carpet.

We had hooks in this back room (our 1st grade teacher called it the "cloak room") and we hung our junk in there. I remember the pain in the butt it was in winter to get our boots and snowpants on for recess and lunch recess. Oh and naturally, the reading books, and bulky green screened computers. :D

Wow, that took me back. Remember when everybody had their own little cubbies above the hooks, and they were just big enough for lunch boxes?

I remember one time in first grade, this boy and I both had the exact same lunch box - it was red. The kid took my lunch box home by mistake. I remember it not being where I had left it, and then I saw "my" lunchbox in another cubby, so I took it home. My mom went to clean my lunch box out, and found unidentifiable lunch baggies in it, and realized the goof. I still have flashbacks of being so annoyed and thinking it was so unfair, the next day, when I went to "trade" back lunch boxes, and the boy had left mine at his house. Then he goes and tells me that MAYBE he would give it back. :roll:

Oh, and yes, I agree with you...those snow pants and boots were horrible! Sometimes it felt like by the time you'd get them on, recess would be over. (Well, maybe it wasn't that bad, but when you're that age it sure feels that way!)
                                      "You guys think you can walk all over me because I'm dumb. But I have feelings too. If you cut me, do I not cough? If you hit me, do I not sneeze? And if you call me names, do I not eat?"
                                      ~Waldo Geraldo Faldo, Family Matters.

Not sur
                                        Alyssa_Branen
                                        2220 Posts
                                        14 years, 1 month ago
                                        My gradeschool was about two minutes walking distance from my house. I still rode the bus though LOL until I was like 8 or so, then I was allowed to walk to and from school. I LOVED it. I was overweight and did get made fun of a bit but I still had a blast. My best friend was a grade higher than me but since our school was so small they often times put two grades in the same classroom, so every other year we were in the same classroom together. She spent the night every friday and saturday night and practicly lived at my house during the summers, as she only lived about five minutes walking distance away.

Those were the years of finding praying mantises, collecting sticky milkweed and peeling it apart only to toss it into the wind. Playing red bulls and unicorns, charactor lunch boxes, the girls huddling together away from the boys when recess followed health class. Popsickles and hotdogs and water melons after field day. Playing in the basement of my house on a snowday. Struggling to get in and out of the snowsuit when it snowed but not enough to cancel school. Knowing our bus driver Hilda so well she was practicly extended family. She didn't put up with crap either. The days when the delinquints were just cute delinquints and didn't do anything more serious than get in a fight every now and then and talk back to the teacher or fart during silent reading and cause everyone to get in trouble for laughing. Now unfortunatly many of them are hardcore druggies and one or two are uncfortunatly dead.

Taking field trips to the aquariums and being totally mortified when your parent was a chaperone and had to discipline a classmate. Very small chorus concerts. Walking down to the ocean beach near the school and cleaning up trash. The walk as a kid seemed like it took an hour to get there. In reality, as an adult it only takes about 12 minutes to walk down there. Watching Ramona Quimby videos during inside recess. Making our own books in second grade. Having RIF week where we got to each pick two free books twice a year. Then of course BOOK ORDERS. I loved book orders. Gettinga marble put in a marble jar in 3rd/4th grade whenever we did well on a test or were just overly well behaved. Whenever the jar was full we would get a day where we would get to just watch movies all day. We would often sneak marbles in the jar.

Too many great things to list here, as my post is already a novel as it is. Those were the best years. The years before we hit 7th grade and our school closed down, the school board let us know we would be starting Jr High at a school about half an hour away. That summer, right before school started at our new school my best friend and her family moved away. It was really, really sucky. So not only was I the new kid PLUS being fat, my best friend wouldn't even be there. I made it through obviously and we are still good friends but things were never as good as gradeschool.

edited to add that I also remember as far as the snowsuit frustration goes, that if kids had the overall type snowsuits they would often times wear them the entire day rather then get in and out of them. It was Maine after all so the classrooms weren't overly stuffy.
                                        :)
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss