Dagon
131 Posts
13 years, 10 months ago
Hello again, commrade apes. Been cruising down the hall of memories when I remembered a couple of more obscure us vs. the commies movies. First up is The Rescue, which starred Kevin Dillon and James Cromwell, about a group of kids who venture into North Korea in order to resuce their captured Navy SEALs dads. Fairly decent action, as far as I'm concerned. Next, and last, was a film called Russkies, which starred a young Joaquin Phoenix, billed then as Leaf Phoenix. This was a tail about a soviet sailor washed overboard and wash up on
America. This film didn't really have any action as it was more of an attempt to show us the soviets where people too. Despite the lack of action, I did actually enjoy it. Far as i know, none of these films made it to DVD....yet. In actaulity, I don't really expect any of them to make it to DVD as they weren't the most successful movies ever made. So, anybody else remember these little gems?
    NoCode0680
    575 Posts
    13 years, 10 months ago
    I don't know if I've ever seen The Rescue, it's sounds familiar, but then again wasn't that kind of the plot of Iron Eagle?

Russkies I remember, although it's been a while and I didn't realize Joaquin Phoenix was in it. My memories of it are kind of vague.

Edit: I was just reading about The Rescue, and now I do remember seeing it.
    Pearl to the damn Jam

Dagon
      131 Posts
      13 years, 10 months ago
      Update: Russkies is on DVD. Just saw it on Amazon.com. Still no Rescue though.
        System
        79987 Posts
        13 years, 10 months ago
        This movie wasn't obscure, but WarGames was a great Cold War era movie.
          NoCode0680
          575 Posts
          13 years, 10 months ago
          Yeah, I love WarGames. Everytime I see it I'm reminded of when I was home sick once when I was 5-6, and I saw it for the first time on HBO.
          Pearl to the damn Jam

80skidAK
            701 Posts
            13 years, 10 months ago
            Hell, how about Rocky IV?
              NoCode0680
              575 Posts
              13 years, 10 months ago
              I guess we could name cold war films from now until the 2080's, but I think there is one quintesential 80's cold war movie, and that of course is Red Dawn. I'm not saying it's the best, but it was totally 80's, had just about every 80's child actor you could fit in one film, and was about the Russians/Cubans invading the United States.
              Pearl to the damn Jam

athomas917
                19 Posts
                13 years, 10 months ago
                Wargames. I even had a program on my Commodore 64 that could dial numbers until getting a computer line. Thank goodness they didn't have caller ID back then
                  AndyL
                  117 Posts
                  13 years, 10 months ago
                  WarGames is still a pretty darn good movie after all these years. HBO, though ran a GREAT movie called COUNTDOWN TO LOOKING GLASS. For those of you unfamiliar with this movie, here's the scoop: We are shown the events leading up to WW3 through the eyes of a network news broadcast. The Iranians, backed by the Russians decide to place a blockade and toll in the Gulf of Oman. The US decides that this will strangle the US economy, as well as its interests in the region, and decides to send troops over. I love how this is shown to us as news reports shot on videotape, and not on film. It really gives the movie an authentic feel. I'm sad to say, however, that HBO is sitting on this one, and is not about to make it available on DVD any time soon.
                    athomas917
                    19 Posts
                    13 years, 10 months ago
                    Yeah, I have a copy of it on Betamax. Funny thins is that the first 5 minutes in it, I thought it was a real newscast :shock:
                      Videogamenerd
                      1202 Posts
                      13 years, 10 months ago
                      i saw war games tht was a cool movie
                      [sub] [/sub]

AndyL
                        117 Posts
                        13 years, 9 months ago
                        athomas, you are far from alone in thinking that. I've been scouring the internet for anything about this movie, and many of the comments I read reflect the same sentiment. When i first saw it on FOX 25, Boston, they had to keep running a roll caption at the bottom of the screen to reassure everybody watching.
                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss