rirotostichi
1841 Posts
13 years, 10 months ago
Did you ever...

Have to repeat a grade (US)
Get put back a year (UK)

or whatever the equivelant may be if you live outside those 2 countries (I am from the UK, in case you don't already know) ?

When I was at school, I got put back a year after my main year in year 2, thus spendng 2 years in year 2 rather than going onto year 3 straight away.

This decision was made for me because my parents thought I wasn't learning things at as fast a pace as all the other boys and girls.

I spent 2 thirds of my 6th school year in year 5 (my last moments as a day student at an ordinary day school) , and when I got moved to boarding school, I was moved up to year 6 for the remainder of that school year, and I found myself in year 7 that September (1999) .

The earliest indicator of that happening (without me knowing what was going on back then) was that I turned 8 years old when I was in year 2, when year 2 usually consists of students in the 6-7 age group.

If something like this happend to you when you were at school, what was/were your experience(s) of the event(s) , if any?
    Videogamenerd
    1202 Posts
    13 years, 10 months ago
    I really didn't have any experience like that but that had to such being in a grade with people younger then you.
    [sub] [/sub]

shiroihikari
      1751 Posts
      13 years, 10 months ago
      I never got "held back", but I did have to take a pre-algebra class my senior year, which was frustrating because everyone in the class was a freshman except me. But I needed a math credit, so...
      Coming Soon to Nostalgia Junkie: Nostalgiathon 2009!
        mlw1984
        1435 Posts
        13 years, 10 months ago
        I got held back a grade because I was born in November. In Texas, it's like that with all kids born in September, October, November and December. So I entered kindergarten in 1990 instead of 1989.
          gumbyman
          2008 Posts
          13 years, 10 months ago
          I never got held back as a child, i know some kids who did though.
            System
            79987 Posts
            13 years, 10 months ago
            I was held back in First Grade. I was a dirty rotten little brat and I never did any work. I jus' played and played. I'm glad I changed that.
              13 years, 10 months ago
              Never got held back but at the elementary schools in my city (maybe like the USA?) have mixed grades.

So you'd go up grades like normal you just may end up in a class that is mixed. Examples Grades 1 & 2 or Grades 5 & 6.

I have no idea why there are mixed grades. It could be because of the number of students attending school at once or it must have always been like that. No idea.
                NickRules
                4941 Posts
                13 years, 10 months ago
                No. I never got held back. But in high school I had to take a bunch of lower grade classes in my regular grade. Like one year I had 2 english classes. One 10th grade english class, and one 11th grade english class.
                  Caps_2-0(Moderator)
                  2745 Posts
                  13 years, 10 months ago
                  I came close to repeating the 12th grade since I wasn't doing my homework, but I worked triple and quadruple time to catch up with the assignments, and so, I was able to graduate.

I was born in December of 1982, which meant that I started elementary school in 1989 instead of 1988. That also meant that I was 18 1/2 years old or so when I graduated. That final year was interesting. When I turned 18, I ended up feeling differently. I was a young adult, but an adult nevertheless, and it's like I was leading two lives. When I was in school, I was still a kid, but when I wasn't in school, I was an adult. This was probably most evidenced when I went to Walt Disney World in 2001. I went to Pleasure Island on my own for the first time that year. I was dancing in clubs and laughing at the jokes in the comedy places. I felt like an adult, but when I came back up North, I was a kid again, taking tests and doing homework.

Totally schizophrenic, totally.
                    lorax
                    977 Posts
                    13 years, 10 months ago
                    Well, since my birthday is in April, my mom decided she would rather me stay in pre-school one more year, than be the youngest in my class. I was one of the older ones.
                    "This scar is a fleck on my porcelain skin, tried to reach deep but you couldn't get in..."
                      TurboDuo
                      2086 Posts
                      13 years, 10 months ago
                      I got held back because I went to Kindergarten twice.
                      I want to be a dentist.

http://gamejunkie.com/
                      YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/user/TurboDuo
                        13 years, 9 months ago
                        I never had to repeat a grade. I graduated from high school back in 1991.
                          PyroPhoenixX
                          423 Posts
                          13 years, 9 months ago
                          There had been years when I had put myself in danger of retention, but I never did- which is good for me =)
                          This message will now self destruct...
                            NoCode0680
                            575 Posts
                            13 years, 9 months ago
                            Nope. But I did fail Geometry my junior year in H.S. and had to take it at summer school. Geometry is just not good for a first period class when you wake and bake every morning. God I was dumb back then.

I'll say it again, Just Say No To Drugs kids.
                            Pearl to the damn Jam

Mr_Retro92
                              849 Posts
                              13 years, 9 months ago
                              Thats never happened to me, I finish School in 3 months anyway
                              The Gang

Sunriser
                                3802 Posts
                                13 years, 9 months ago
                                lorax
                                Well, since my birthday is in April, my mom decided she would rather me stay in pre-school one more year, than be the youngest in my class. I was one of the older ones.

Wow, I could never imagine that. My Bday is in May and I was by far not the youngest. What was the cut-off?
                                  Strandysmommy
                                  617 Posts
                                  13 years, 9 months ago
                                  I thought it was "un pc" these days to flunk a kid (because it could damage their self esteem) or some sort of pc drivel like that.

I should have flunked 3rd grade. I was sick practically every month, several times a month, there's only 180 days in a school year, I think I missed a few days every month because of strep or ear infections. So to be honest, it would have done me good to repeat 3rd grade.
                                    YoJoe83
                                    393 Posts
                                    13 years, 9 months ago
                                    I quit fucking around after they threatened to hold me back once when I was in 1st grade so no. I never got held back or had to repeat a grade, I was smart enough to understand the logic (even as a kid) that its better to put a little effort into it and get the year over with rather than have to repeat the year all over again and waste a whole year of my life.

even in high school I managed to graduate with 1.5 more credits than I actually needed. Only failed one class my entire high school career. Too scared to fail any, just like in elementary school, I learned that failing 4 classes in your whole high school career can get you another year in high school, I said fuck that, and quit fucking around even more. I'm no scholar either, as a matter of fact I had big trouble in school. I'm ADD like a mother fucker, was never popular, until damn, almost my 11th grade year, I lost a bunch of weight, gained some muscle, switched schools and got a fresh start so being popular after that was no problem and to this day, still isn't a problem but by this point I've already learned that a few good friends is a shit load better than a million friends who wouldn't give a nickel to save your life.
                                    UFC is great
                                      animefan123
                                      809 Posts
                                      13 years, 9 months ago
                                      I never got held back when I was a kid. But I almost failed Math class
                                      =50 ways to describe Happiness=

2/50: Happiness Is telling a Joke and people find It funny 1/30/10

=========================================
                                      Drew: Where's your mother?
                                      Angelica: She's in the shower. She says she has to wash away the stench
                                        Funky_Guy
                                        2638 Posts
                                        13 years, 9 months ago
                                        I never got held back but I came close to not making it into grade three because I struggled with math alot in grade two but I got around it by being tutored over the summer by the teacher that taught my primary so that divirted that situation.

In grades 6 through 10 I took special ed math and also in grade 10 I was demoted from advanced science to general. I was at the bottom of the class in advanced science, I got the top grade in general science. It's too bad there wasn't an intermediate science class, that's where I would have probably fit best. General science was a joke, the work was really easy and one of the key reasons I succeeded in that class was I was one of the only students who reguarly handed in their work.
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss