10 years, 10 months ago
In my opinion, ever since at least 1994, music has been heading straight for the bottomless pit of doom.

This is my opinion about things going downhill:

- Music: 1994
- TV: 1998/99
- Movies: 2002
    System
    79987 Posts
    10 years, 10 months ago
    I'd say went downhill in 1996.
      stake_n_sheak
      1891 Posts
      10 years, 10 months ago
      When I stopped liking music on the radio, it was because my taste changed. Not because everybody in the world was making good music and then stopped. There are tons of current bands I love. They just don't happen to be on terrestrial radio or big budget movie soundtracks. So, never.
      tangspot2
      Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
        donnie_darko
        41 Posts
        10 years, 10 months ago
        I think the best pop music was made in the quarter century between 1963 and 1987. I was born in 1990 so I'm not being biased when I say this. Pop music was just incredible from the mid 1960s to mid 1980s. If you're a fan of hip hop and contemporary R&B (I'm not) you can probably extend this range well into the 90s.

The overall volume of music since 1988ish has been "crap" but there's still plenty of select stuff I like from the past 25 years.
          Casey_Jones
          489 Posts
          10 years, 10 months ago
          I'm not really that into music. But I do notice that most of the music I choose to listen to on my own comes from times that I wasn't even around for. I love 70s southern Rock.
          The class is Pain 101. Your instructor is Casey Jones.
            10 years, 10 months ago
            I think there's been some fantastic studio albums released in the last few years. That said, the mainstream music scene probably started to go downhill in 2006, with 2008/09 delivering the final nail in the coffin.
              pikachulover
              2944 Posts
              10 years, 10 months ago

I knew I was getting old because everything started to sound the same to me. I was 20 in 2004.
                JonSea31
                33 Posts
                10 years, 10 months ago
                My taste for music started to decline by late 1989. By 1994, when there was hardly any top 40 music on the radio, my taste for music was nearly at rock bottom. Then in 1995, the original run of American Top 40 was cancelled, and never made it to its silver anniversary that July. Besides, 1995 was the year my taste for music was at an all-time low.

Thankfully, it slowly started to rebound before the 21st century began, and to me, thanks to an increase of upbeat music, 2002 was the best year for music since 1988.
                  jadedoz
                  711 Posts
                  10 years, 10 months ago
                  I think in the early to mid 2000s
                    arizvega
                    604 Posts
                    10 years, 10 months ago
                    My's will have to be 2011.8)
                    I stop listening to Rap in 2011....
                    arizvega's Signature Image
                    Scorpion WINS!

FATALITY
                      10 years, 10 months ago
                      Roughly late 2000s.
                        10 years, 10 months ago
                        Music: 1986
                        TV: 1993
                        Movies: 1994
                        Don't pay any attention to the evil spirited and dead of heart. They're not worth your time.
                          System
                          79987 Posts
                          10 years, 10 months ago
                          2005 or so, basically once the '90s started to feel less close. I personally like the r&b and alternative from 1992 to 2005 the best, and I think it went down the toilet a lot after that. Not that I hate all current music but my favorite style is basically dead now. TV actually was still ok most of the '00s though declining, there was some ok sitcoms and the realty tv wasn't as obnoxious as it is now. I like 50s-70s (90s was alright too) tv the best though, not a fan of 80s tv overall. Movies I think can still be great I wouldn't put a cutoff on that.
                            Starfire94
                            22 Posts
                            10 years, 10 months ago
                            2006 at least.

TV: Same time.

Movies: Late 90s
                              10 years, 10 months ago
                              CruJonesIsTheMan
                              Music: 1986
                              TV: 1993
                              Movies: 1994

We have the same birthday, but I was born in 1985. :(
                                10 years, 10 months ago
                                Music I would have to say mid 2000s However the warning signs were showing up late 90's like 97-98. Me being a music junky there were still decent songs on the radio till about 05 - 06. There is still some good music in present day..... If you know where to look. I've also noticed that the bad songs of the 90's like Wannabe and Mmmbop as bad and catchy as they were feel more constructed then most of today's pop songs along with them honestly getting better over time. Though they are staying in the guilty pleasures section of my music tastes.
                                Thats right I ran over the Taco Bell dog...... I got banned from Taco Bell for life.
                                  rickyagnew
                                  31 Posts
                                  10 years, 10 months ago
                                  1994..rap and hip hop:-O had become the dominant style..from there music took a downhill which it's never quite returned from
                                  rickyagnew's Signature Image
                                    10 years, 10 months ago
                                    Music, I'd say 1991 or so. TV, late 1990's and the same for movies. Still, there are songs, shows and movies that do break the rule. I was born in 1966 so the great ages to me are the 1970's an 1980's.
                                      RomanBlade86
                                      288 Posts
                                      10 years, 9 months ago
                                      For me it had to be the early 2000s when all of these rap artists like 50 Cent started getting on the air. I rode a school bus from elementary school (early 1990s-early 2000s) and the radio was always on so I got to experience many pop songs throughout the decade. There was always catchy music going on but at the early 2000s is when pop songs just became terrible due to the shift in what was popular. However, I think in 2006 there were a slight shift back to what was catchy. I think when your life was at its best is when music sounded the best.
                                        9 years, 9 months ago
                                        Music: 2008/2009
                                        TV: 2000-2002
                                        Movies: Mid 2011-2012

Why I think music started to go downhill a little in 2008/2009 is because that was the time frame where music seemed to turn to techno music; why I think TV started going downhill in 2000-2002 is because the quality of TV started to decline a little bit in the early 2000's compared to the early to late 90's in my opinion, and also, the quality of the TV's commercials in the early 2000's were also not superior to those commercials in the late 90's or earlier; and why I think movies started to go downhill in mid 2011-2012 is because the humor in the movies that were made around this time frame wasn't quite as good as those movies that were made around 2010 or earlier in my opinion. Also, lastly, even though I actually kind of agree with these people, I see a lot of posts that say that they hate movies and TV shows that are post late 90's, but, there are still some good shows and movies though in my opinion.
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss