MrCleveland
1066 Posts
13 years ago
This has been a major debate for many. The people who have listened to Peter Gabriel Genesis would NOT listen to Phil Collins Genesis and the people who have listened to Phil Collins Genesis would NOT listen to Peter Gabriel Genesis.

I, myself, like both! The Phil Collins Genesis took over where Peter Gabriel Genesis left off, but as the 70's passed by...they became more poppier because if they didn't...Genesis would probably have disappeared.

Also, Phil Collins DID pull-off sounding like Peter Gabriel and he (Collins) kept most of the songs Gabriel sang such as "The Knife"...though the song got cut in half after Gabriel left and "The Musical Box" which was the end of a few Gabriel-era Genesis songs such as "Moonlight Knight" and "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".

And BOTH Gabriel Genesis and Collins Genesis DID have duds...in the Gabriel Genesis, it was "From Genesis to Revelation" and "Tresspass" (with the exception of "The Knife") and in the Collins Genesis, it was "Illegal Alien" and "Jesus he knows Me".

And the 1996 "Calling All Stations" Genesis does NOT count...there was no true lead singer at the time!
    13 years ago
    I love them both, but I'm certainly more partial towards Phil Collins, namely because I like more of his solo work.
    Garfield: "My car is so old, that it's insured against theft, flood, fire and dinosaur stampedes!"

Garfield: "The local bus transit is doing their part to help with the weight loss program: each year, they stop further and further away from the curb!
      One_Louder
      725 Posts
      13 years ago
      Trespass isn't a dud to me at all. It's actually one of my favorite Genesis albums. I like everything from the first album, From Genesis to Revelations up to Abacab. After that I only like a couple of songs, Just a Job to do off '83's Genesis, the extended 12 inch remix of Tonight Tonight Tonight, On the Shorline which is an outtake from We Can't Dance and the '99 version of Carpet Crawlers which was a nice closer to Genesis' career and features vocals from both Gabriel and Collins.
        American_Jedi
        136 Posts
        13 years ago
        Easily Phil Collins, with Genesis or not, anybody that gets hit-single status from a song entitled "Shock The Monkey" should be castrated in my book.
          WinegumZero
          686 Posts
          13 years ago
          Phil Collins Genesis, but Peter Gabriel solo in my book.
          Latest article: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/7494/
            MrCleveland
            1066 Posts
            13 years ago
            One_Louder
            Trespass isn't a dud to me at all. It's actually one of my favorite Genesis albums. I like everything from the first album, From Genesis to Revelations up to Abacab. After that I only like a couple of songs, Just a Job to do off '83's Genesis, the extended 12 inch remix of Tonight Tonight Tonight, On the Shorline which is an outtake from We Can't Dance and the '99 version of Carpet Crawlers which was a nice closer to Genesis' career and features vocals from both Gabriel and Collins.

I kinda like the pre-Phil Collins Genesis, but it was when Phil Collins became the drummer and they had Steve Hackett after Anthony Phillips left because of Stage Fright.

PS-Collins got the gig by listening to the previous drummers as well as probably listening to their album "Tresspass", in which I said before was played live until 1980 with Collins singing the song "The Knife".
              futuramafan95
              397 Posts
              13 years ago
              gabriel
                Goofball
                108 Posts
                10 years, 4 months ago
                I've always like both.
                  10 years ago
                  Genesis is one of my top bands of all time. People act surprised when I tell them, but their catalog is so diverse and layered. Picking an era is like choosing a favorite pizza topping, it's all good even if some parts don't quite belong. If pressed though, I tend to go back to the first 2-3 albums with Collins on vocals.
                    vkimo
                    2321 Posts
                    10 years ago
                    I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
                    My Last Article For RetroJunk

Remembering RetroJunk
                      10 years ago
                      vkimo
                      I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Thanks for the un-cited American Psycho quote.
                        Jimster1
                        1 Posts
                        9 years, 2 months ago
                        In my humble opinion Gabriel, in Genesis, solo, and music endeavors.
                        Depends on what your mind is geared to hear. For me Gabriel moves the soul, from the best album of Selling England by the Pound, to his Real World label searching out outstanding international artists and bringing them on tour across the world. The public response was of course limited to this concept and it collapsed after a few years as people would want rather pay money to hear susususudio, such a catchy pop diddy. Collins wins the money pop race, Gabriel's efforts will endure for years to come.
                          eddstarr88
                          6987 Posts
                          9 years, 2 months ago
                          I can't make up my mind, so I pick both!
                          The Eldorado is dead. Long live the Eldorado.
                            JonSea31
                            33 Posts
                            6 years, 7 months ago
                            Phil Collins ruled when it comes to Genesis. That is when the band gained popularity on the Billboard Top 40. "Invisible Touch" was their most successful album to date, though the songs i like the most from the Phil years are "Misunderstanding", "Abacab", "Man on the Corner", "That's All" and "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" (the extended album version). I'd be quite surprised if Genesis had top 40 hits in the U.S. when Peter Gabriel led the group.

The band started going downhill when they released the "We Can't Dance" album in 1991. Then they had a new album in 1997 with a new lead singer replacing Phil - and the writing was on the wall.by that point.

In my opinion, Peter Gabriel will be best known for his solo work, particularly "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time" - both of which have pretty awesome music videos.
                              6 years ago
                              Your text to link here...
                              I love both but prefer Collins although Collins sang on the Peter era albums too

I'm a Genesis fan I first became aware of the band in the '80's, probably around the time Genesis (1983) came out. Recently, I've gone back and re-listened to many of their albums - here is my review of their '80's albums, in my order of preference:

Duke (1980): Quite simply superb - this album is a true masterpiece in every sense of the word. This seems to be a 'concept' album in that it tells the "story" of the lonely main character (Duke?!); from the opening "Behind the Lines" to "Duchess" to "Man of Our Times", then to the pop songs "Misunderstanding" and "Turn it on Again" (possibly my favorite Genesis song) to the wistful "Please Dont Ask" and "Cul-de-sac", this album is very strong from beginning to end. IMHO, this is one of the top ten best rock/pop/prog albums of the 1980's.

Genesis (1983): Incredible. From the disturbing but brilliant "Mama" to the radio-hit "That's All", to the politically incorrect "Illegal Alien", to the fast-paced "Just a Job to Do", to the incredible "Home By the Sea", this is an amazing album. It's probably around this time that I first started hearing the band on the radio.

Abacab (1981): Excellent album, from the long opener "Abacab", to "No Reply at All", "Keep it Dark", and the poignant "Man on the Corner".

Invisible Touch (1986): Probably their most commercially successful album for good reason - these were songs that sounded great on the mainstream radio stations. Back in the day, this was my favorite album by the group. Even now, I still appreciate "Invisible Touch", "Land of Confusion", "In too Deep", and "Anything She Does", etc. - and, "The Brazilian" is an amazing acoustic song. However, IMHO this album doesn't hold a candle to their earlier '80's work - maybe I've just heard these songs too many times....

We Can't Dance (1991): Good follow-up to IT, with several interesting songs including "No Son of Mine", the self-deprecating "I Can't Dance", "Tell me Why", Had to be tough working in between Phil solo albums

I also see the post-Peter Gabriel and pre-Duke albums, i.e. Wind and Wuthering, Then There were Three, Trick of the Tail as a transitional period to what they were to what they were from Duke on ward.

Best album with Peter Selling England by the Pound

Best Album with Collins on Vocals The Duke

Best Transitional Album Wind and Withering

Greatest talent to come from the Band Phil Collins The drumming, vocals, songwriting, won a Oscar
                              ♫Please check out my auctions for Vintage 80s MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫
                                6 years ago
                                JonSea31
                                Phil Collins ruled when it comes to Genesis. That is when the band gained popularity on the Billboard Top 40. "Invisible Touch" was their most successful album to date, though the songs i like the most from the Phil years are "Misunderstanding", "Abacab", "Man on the Corner", "That's All" and "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" (the extended album version). I'd be quite surprised if Genesis had top 40 hits in the U.S. when Peter Gabriel led the group.

The band started going downhill when they released the "We Can't Dance" album in 1991. Then they had a new album in 1997 with a new lead singer replacing Phil - and the writing was on the wall.by that point.

In my opinion, Peter Gabriel will be best known for his solo work, particularly "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time" - both of which have pretty awesome music videos.

No Son of Mine is probably one of the greatest Collins era songs
                                ♫Please check out my auctions for Vintage 80s MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫
                                  An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss