16 years, 7 months ago
I love this show it is very funny, if u work in an office can u tell me if there are people really like that in your office. :D
Narrator: Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality. But... there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real, but not as brightly lit... a Darkside :twisted:
    Mystie
    1132 Posts
    16 years, 7 months ago
    Never seen The Office... but I've seen the movie Office Space, and it's quite like some of the offices I've been to. I used to work as a temp. :roll:
      16 years, 7 months ago
      Mystie
      Never seen The Office... but I've seen the movie Office Space, and it's quite like some of the offices I've been to. I used to work as a temp. :roll:

It comes on NBC at 8:30! Here are the main characters:

Michael Scott: He's the boss and a completely dumb! Example: on 1 ep, he has to plan a B-day party, and on the card for the lady he writes I hope the only down sizing is your age! :lol:

Dwight: The office suck up. He laughs at all of Michaels jokes. One time he banned the women from useing the restroom because someone wrote a dirty joke about the boss.

Pam: The secretery, she takes alot of abuse from most of the guys except Jim who likes her.

Jim: The guy who can get a better job but doesn't cause he has the hots for Pam. He is like the only guy who doesn't hassle Pam.
      Narrator: Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality. But... there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real, but not as brightly lit... a Darkside :twisted:
        pikachulover
        2944 Posts
        16 years, 7 months ago
        I like the Office, I've only seen the US verson. I like Jim he's so funny, but Michael is too. Michael always thinks he's the funniest.
          System
          79987 Posts
          16 years, 7 months ago
          its funny, i work in a wearhouse and we spoke about making a movie called wearhouse space, and the office is excatly like my workplace, dam copyright laws :D
            16 years, 7 months ago
            The peak of the UK version is when David Brent (Gervais) has a new employee and tries to show off.

He takes Dawn into his office, with the new guy, and then pretends to fire her 'as a joke'. He makes up something about her stealing post it notes.

It backfires and she starts to cry and of course he looks like a complete tit. When he admits he's joking, it is so cringeworthy.

Dawn (through clenched teeth): "You sad fat, pathetic little man... you sad sad little man..."

Brent (Very quiet): "Now that's not very nice..."

She then leaves him with the awkward new guy and the scene just makes you want to squirm...

j
            Constructicon: "Nobody would follow an uncharasmatic bore like you!"

Rumble: "Nobody calls Soundwave un-chrasa-matic!"
              16 years, 7 months ago
              Did anyone see the ep yesterday? It was about Michael went out for the way to find a condo and Dwight went to help him! While they were gone Jim & Pam started the office olympics.
                bleukeekat
                407 Posts
                16 years, 7 months ago
                i saw it when i was in england like four years ago and fell in love with it, then six months later it was in amer. anyone catch the dawn/tim reunion in 'shaun of the dead'? :)

i just cant watch the us version no matter how much i like carrell, i wont do it, im faithful to the original. and im not trying to be bitchy or anything but i like most of the original versions of things. well..queer as folk amer is jsut as good as british original..
                miaow >^..^<

Oh dear I've re-dorkulated!
                  16 years, 7 months ago
                  bleukeekat
                  i saw it when i was in england like four years ago and fell in love with it, then six months later it was in amer. anyone catch the dawn/tim reunion in 'shaun of the dead'? :)

i just cant watch the us version no matter how much i like carrell, i wont do it, im faithful to the original. and im not trying to be bitchy or anything but i like most of the original versions of things. well..queer as folk amer is jsut as good as british original..

Oooooooooooh, I am going to have to rent Shawn of the deade again.

And no bleukeekat u were not being bitchy, u were polite! :D
                    pikachulover
                    2944 Posts
                    16 years, 7 months ago
                    I saw the one about the condo. I liked the part when Pam made those paper doves. :lol:
                      16 years, 7 months ago
                      pikachulover
                      I saw the one about the condo. I liked the part when Pam made those paper doves. :lol:

I liked it when Micheal made fun of they name "Mr.Bill" :lol:
                        jamigram
                        1954 Posts
                        16 years, 4 months ago
                        I had to post on this I love the office uk version!!

The quiz episode is genius as David tells us of last years quiz with the question "what type of alien is Mr Spock"

The fuss they make as most people put vulcan but they argue that spock is half vulcan half human

It ends with Chris "finchy" finch throwing Tims shoe over the building to win the quiz...
                        Saying that every episode is brilliant! and the christmas specials are perfect!!

If you like it you should check out the Extras too, similar and almost as good, also by Ricky Gervais.
                          System
                          79987 Posts
                          16 years, 4 months ago
                          Iloveth80sfan911
                          Michael Scott: He's the boss and a completely dumb! Example: on 1 ep, he has to plan a B-day party, and on the card for the lady he writes I hope the only down sizing is your age! :lol:

HA! You know what's ironic? When I worked in an office my boss' name was Michael Scott and he too was completely dumb! However, he wasn't as crafty as the card incident you described. He was more of the kind of person where you go to him for a problem, he'd smile and nod and then do nothing about it.
                            System
                            79987 Posts
                            16 years, 4 months ago
                            nachtjager
                            I really like Steve Carell in the Office, but the original British version with Ricky Gervais is better I feel. I've watched it on BBC America I believe. His new show Extras on HBO is decent too.

The only reason I prefer the U.S. version is because some of the U.K. dialogue is hard to follow because some of the accents are so thick, I can't quite understand what they are saying. Does that make sense?
                              jamigram
                              1954 Posts
                              16 years, 4 months ago
                              nachtjager
                              jamigram
                              If you like it you should check out the Extras too, similar and almost as good, also by Ricky Gervais.

I loved Extras..... but only a six episode season!??!?! I felt robbed.

Yeah they could well have done more, but the genie moment proved its quality not quantity that counts!!

Have you seen the Gervais live stuff? its all similar!
                                jamigram
                                1954 Posts
                                16 years, 4 months ago
                                nachtjager
                                The thing about Gervais that I love, and I would like to see his live stuff Jamigram,

Try and get your hands on his Politics show, he does one part about humpty dumpty that is great, its available on DVD along with his other big show Animals!
                                  bleukeekat
                                  407 Posts
                                  16 years, 4 months ago
                                  jamigram
                                  nachtjager
                                  jamigram

I loved Extras..... but only a six episode season!??!?! I felt robbed.

Yeah they could well have done more, but the genie moment proved its quality not quantity that counts!!

Have you seen the Gervais live stuff? its all similar!

I was in england in 2002 when i first saw the office, i watched every episode for 8 days straight with the friend i was staying with and we were really drunk when the last episode was on, it was the one where dawn tells tim 'no' and i remember ebeing extrmeley loud and drunk screaming 'SHE SAID NO???' i was so pissed :) i thought 'they will never bring this show to america' ( i also saw ali g and never mind the buzzcocks at that time and thought the same thing but they brought it to amer:):) ive since calmed down about that :) i think the show was brliiant and extras is good too, alot of british telly only has 6 episodes a season, young ones, ab fab, are you being served... et cet
                                  miaow >^..^<

jamigram
                                    1954 Posts
                                    16 years, 4 months ago
                                    nachtjager
                                    Jamigram- I'll have to check those out! Is Politics about British poiltics or is it more universal? Because I'm pretty ignorant about your inner workings of the British government.

Its pretty much politics in general, I just think it was a word to sum up what the show was about. I'm not that clued up on the British Government myself but I enjoyed it!!
                                      System
                                      79987 Posts
                                      16 years, 4 months ago
                                      Here are the reasons why the UK version is BETTER than the US one:

1. Steve Carell is not convincing. This guy looks as much an office manager as Pamela Anderson does a bookworm in a bookstore.

2. The US series is NOT original. WAY too many parallels between the characters on both series. I own all the UK "The Office" DVD's and have watched them all many times. I watched the US version a couple times with my wife and I'd give all the US characters their British counterparts' names. "Oh, there's Tim and Dawn. ...the big oaf, that's Keith. Yeah, there's Gareth kissing David's ass, etc..." Why watch the watered-down American version that's NOT funny when you can enjoy the hilarious British one with the touching drama added in?

3. Gervais and Merchant knew when to pull the plug on the UK series while the US one has alreadly overstayed its welcome. Face it, offices are not naturally good grounds for comedy and drama (despite the rise in office-based commercials). The UK one focused on developing its characters and plots intelligently and ended it when the story was over. Two complete seasons and a Christmas special...absolutely brilliant. The US version, instead, tries to keep the fire burning, thus dragging rather boring sub-plots and not-so-funny situations out further than they need to. Why Ricky and Stephen haven't tried to accomplish the same thing over here is beyond me. ..but the US is a different market and I'll get into that later.

3.1 On the same note, the UK version is simply better because it was out first. The Tim and Dawn drama was bittersweet and beautiful. The US version is so much a rip-off of the original that it's hard to feel any compassion for the characters within. We know how it's likely to end. (Unless they decide to throw a curveball and do something different with the two pseudo-lovebirds.)

4. The US television market is overall very brainless, much like its viewers. We in America tend to want what's popular and nothing else. This is why there are thirty medical dramas, twenty courtroom dramas and a boatload of reality shows. Taking chances and being different is unheard of here, which is why we tend to pull from what's popular in the UK. We can't create anything new and exciting, so we must "borrow" from those who CAN create something wonderful. This is a problem. The US "...Office" is such a bland, tasteless morsel of what the original was, it's sad that so many people find it to be something else. Steve Carell is no Ricky Gervais.
                                        bleukeekat
                                        407 Posts
                                        16 years, 4 months ago
                                        nachtjager
                                        Jamigram- I'll have to check those out! Is Politics about British poiltics or is it more universal? Because I'm pretty ignorant about your inner workings of the British government.

bleukeekat- I had to own the first two seasons of Ali G from HBO on DVD. Anyway, you just brought back a great memory of mine. I watched Are You Being Served? DAILY during high school. Our PBS station in NC showed a bunch of British comedies at night. Are You Being Served was my favorite, and I watch a bit of Keeping Up Appearances. I was going through a very I wish I could live in the UK phase, and so I watched Keeping Up Appearances to see what houses were in the suburbs, the cars they drove, and all that.

i was reall obsessed with the uk since i was twelve:) i read the two main british papers (independent and gaurdian) on the intranet at work everyday:)i have a lot of britcoms on tape and dvd now, i never watched keeping up appearances though, that was with hyacinth right? i know i have every episode od are you being served on vhs, i looooved that show, and my dad looks like capt peacock:)
                                        but i really dont like when america tries to take a brilliant brit show and make an amer version:( remember the american 'coupling' - ick:)
                                        except queer as folk which i love brit and american thats my exception. and ali g since he rally didnt change anything when coming to amer.
                                        miaow >^..^<

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss