ChrisMCB
211 Posts
17 years, 8 months ago
First i dont want to start trouble and i am NOT being a smart ass but i have a couple questions....

first...i have noticed a couple times that one mod will be in a thread and say it is ok or a good idea and then another will lock it because there was a similar thread...is it just up to the individual mod??

second....is there a way that the locked threads could be
deleted?? i try not to post similar threads but find it hard to use the search because all the locked threads come up......am i using the search wrong???

please dont think i am being a smartass i just dont want to post in the wrong way and get my threads locked
http://gpps.proboards81.com/index.cgi
PARANORMAL FORUMS...Stop by and say hi!!
    ChrisMCB
    211 Posts
    17 years, 8 months ago
    thats what ive noticed...it seems so much stuff pops up with the search...and if they lock the thread it stays in the system....so why lock it...or maybe have a time limit on old threads...maybe delete them after a certian time??? i dont understand how it all works
    http://gpps.proboards81.com/index.cgi
    PARANORMAL FORUMS...Stop by and say hi!!
      Cyber_Bishop
      2440 Posts
      17 years, 8 months ago
      ChrisMCB
      First i dont want to start trouble and i am NOT being a smart ass but i have a couple questions....

first...i have noticed a couple times that one mod will be in a thread and say it is ok or a good idea and then another will lock it because there was a similar thread...is it just up to the individual mod??

second....is there a way that the locked threads could be
      deleted?? i try not to post similar threads but find it hard to use the search because all the locked threads come up......am i using the search wrong???

please dont think i am being a smartass i just dont want to post in the wrong way and get my threads locked

It is up to the admin to totally delete a thread. And deletion of a thread subtracts from members that posted in it's post count (yes, some people are worried about postcount).

As far as the one mod saying it is alright then another locking it I can only say this, sometimes threads deviate from their original purpose and may start out ok, but end up a mess and need to be locked.
      Sometimes one of us will think it is ok, then when we discuss it we decide that maybe it is best that it be locked.
      Remember, this is not an exact science.

The simplest way to post and not worry about it being locked is look over the rules before you start a new thread. And as far as using the search feature (believe me, searching although a pain sometimes it is a useful tool) it is useful and helpful and can alleviate any potential locking problems.
      Also know that, sometimes we let the threads alone and are PM'ed by users alerting us to threads of a duplicate subject matter.

I hope this helps.
      Ker click... Choom..
        Ninjak
        451 Posts
        17 years, 8 months ago
        Doctor_Strange
        I never use the search anymore because it has so many results, I am not even gonna try to sort them all.

It seems like stuff which has nothing to do with what I want pops up as well.

Wow, really?

I rarely have trouble finding anything I want using the search feature.
          Cyber_Bishop
          2440 Posts
          17 years, 8 months ago
          Ninjak
          Wow, really?

Me either. Sometimes you really do have to look around a bit on the same note what you are looking for does show up.
          Ker click... Choom..
            takineko
            3931 Posts
            17 years, 8 months ago
            Cyber_Bishop
            Ninjak
            Wow, really?

Me either. Sometimes you really do have to look around a bit on the same note what you are looking for does show up.

You guys are lucky.

I use it all the time, but I may as well dig through the threads one by one.
            Mew
              17 years, 8 months ago
              It would help if you clicked on the Search for all terms Radio button under the search box
                Kray
                865 Posts
                17 years, 8 months ago
                Yep, Cyber pretty much explained it. Situations change, and while my first inclination is to keep the threads going whenever possible by identifying the situations problem and fixing it, things sometimes spiral down to the point where we're better off just locking it.

And as for-

ChrisMCB
                Please dont think i am being a smartass i just dont want to post in the wrong way and get my threads locked

Well simply put, the mods are here to attempt to keep things ordered and legal, and to sort out hostilities between members. That's the basic premise of why we do anything and why the rules are there. The rule list just basically tells the more specific details of how we do that.(and is there so we shouldn't need to constantly keep repeating ourselves)
                If you stay within those general guidelines you should be fine.

And you can always ask a mod directly as to what's going on as well anytime via PM.
                  An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss