marcus29687
51 Posts
17 years, 7 months ago
I'm not trying to sound like a womens' rights activist but in it's own small way Flavor of Love has set back the womens' rights movement at least twenty years. Don't get me wrong, I like the show and watch it every week. Women have fought for decades to be viewed and treated as equal to men. The reasons why I say the show has set back the clock on womens' rights are:

1: Let's be real about this. NONE of the women are there to have a romantic relationship with crackhead Flavor Flav. They are only there to "gold dig" and get television exposure.

2: The contestants are willing to kiss and even have sex with a man they don't know and aren't attracted to just because he is wealthy and famous.

3: The contestants have no problem with seeing Flav show affection to one woman and then tell them the same crap about how he's "feelin' them" also. The sad thing is that they might really believe him.

4. The women constantly have catfights for no good reason.

5: The women frequently call themselves and each other b*tch. This word is supposed to be degrading to women but they throw it around without any reservations. To quote New York: "I'm the head b*tch in charge around here".

6: The contestants are willing to do pointless tasks for Flav's amusement and the viewers' entertainment [ cleaning Warren G's house after it was completely trashed, gutting and cleaning fish in a diner]. In the episode when Flav's buddies came over for a party, many of them were willing to take off clothing, expose themselves, give lap dances, and pretty much do whatever they were asked to please the guests. The contestant named "Like That" even jumped in the pool with her clothes on just to give the guests a cheap laugh.

7: The women allow Flav to give them stupid nicknames because he doesn't want to take the time to remember their real names.

Like I said above, I'm not a womens' rights activist but I do think women should be treated equally as men. I just find it amusing that some women complain about inequality and still behave this way on national television for a few minutes of passing fame. I would love to hear some more opinions about this show.
    punky
    441 Posts
    17 years, 7 months ago
    Hey...if they're dumb enough to do that kind of crap I guess it's their business...though I wouldn't be caught DEAD fighting over or doing anything special for flavor flav!
      System
      79987 Posts
      17 years, 7 months ago
      That show was created for ratings, period. Regardless if you have a moral aversion to it, the key point there is money. There are other shows just as bad. It just follows the whole "Reality TV" craze.
        System
        79987 Posts
        17 years, 7 months ago
        I'd never be on that show no matter how much money they gave me
          Davisrocks
          769 Posts
          17 years, 7 months ago
          don't watch it. don't care

Lottech96
            1275 Posts
            17 years, 7 months ago
            and we set the Clock back to 2000, anyone remember Who want's to marry a Millionare? hoo boy.
            Who Want's some BLOGna!!?
            http://spacemanmonster.blogspot.com/
            Did you know they'll make a game show out of..
            http://tmgsoo.blogspot.com/
              JCU
              356 Posts
              17 years, 7 months ago
              Degrading? That show is "degrading" to anyone that has an ounce of intelligence who happens to pass over VH1 as they channel surf.
              N
                TranzorZgirl
                584 Posts
                17 years, 7 months ago
                punky
                Hey...if they're dumb enough to do that kind of crap I guess it's their business...though I wouldn't be caught DEAD fighting over or doing anything special for flavor flav!

REALLY THOUGH :) I mean come on people it's Flavor flav!!! he's like 50 or something and you expect us to believe that nice looking twenty-something year old women are falling all over themselves to be with HIM??!!! Hell I totally agree Punky, if they're dumb enough to do that show than they deserve to be called whatever anyone calls them. And if anything you know they only want his money.
                "Rap Rap, who's there? Rapper-man is on the air".

My MYSPACE page
                http://www.myspace.com/djnimhcaterpillar

Who could hate a YO-YO? :( WHO?
                  kayvee
                  3672 Posts
                  17 years, 7 months ago
                  I dont think this show is going to 'set women back'. Women aren't one collective mind or body. Some choose to teach -- others choose to strip.
                    Video_Jukebox
                    1068 Posts
                    17 years, 7 months ago
                    What was it Eleanor Roosevelt said? "No one can make you inferior without your consent"? Something like that.

I could go off on a rant here about the current state of feminism and its relation to Flavor of Love, but the long story short of it is that ultimately in this life I tend my own garden, and it is not my job to tend other people's gardens for them, no matter how much their hedges need pruning. If other women want to act like morons, let 'em; anyone who condemns all women (including me) based on their behavior alone is twice as moronic as they are.
                    "Preserving the old ways from being abused,
                    Protecting the new ways for me and for you.
                    What more can we do?"
                    --The Kinks, "Village Green Preservation Society"
                      kennerfan
                      487 Posts
                      17 years, 7 months ago
                      Mathematika
                      That show was created for ratings, period. Regardless if you have a moral aversion to it, the key point there is money. There are other shows just as bad. It just follows the whole "Reality TV" craze.

your right there. money has set womens rights back twenty years...money ruins everything

no time for love doctor jones
                        System
                        79987 Posts
                        17 years, 7 months ago
                        A casting person walked up to my mom last year in Miami and asked her to be on The Bachelor. They obviously didn't know she was a mom, let alone the mom of a 21 year old. I was kinda disturbed when she told me that, lol.
                          Old_school_JJ
                          1184 Posts
                          17 years, 7 months ago
                          marcus29687
                          1: Let's be real about this. NONE of the women are there to have a romantic relationship with crackhead Flavor Flav. They are only there to "gold dig" and get television exposure.
                          marcus29687
                          Yeah I do agree that a lot of women are there for that very reason. However I do believe that there are some that are just big Flav fans.

marcus29687
                          2: The contestants are willing to kiss and even have sex with a man they don't know and aren't attracted to just because he is wealthy and famous.
                          marcus29687
                          Well you can't really say that they're not attracted to Flav, just because you may not be. I mean you're probably right on a good amount of them, but maybe not 100% of all the women there. I do believe some women go on that show to meet Flavor Flav, not so much to be in a realationship with him, but at least meet him. I'm sure some of the women on that show are fans of his.

marcus29687
                          3: The contestants have no problem with seeing Flav show affection to one woman and then tell them the same crap about how he's "feelin' them" also. The sad thing is that they might really believe him.
                          marcus29687
                          I think what Flav is mainly saying when he tells someone he's "feeling them" is just like he finds them attracted to them, likes there personality. I don't think he's saying that he wants to be with the one girl and only one girl.

marcus29687
                          4. The women constantly have catfights for no good reason.
                          marcus29687
                          You'll see a lot of women fighting on the Jerry Springer show as well. I do agree that half the time there is no good reason for it. But that's there bussiness and if they want to fight over something dumb, let them. I'm sure the people behind that show love it, it makes more of an interesting show.

marcus29687
                          5: The women frequently call themselves and each other b*tch. This word is supposed to be degrading to women but they throw it around without any reservations. To quote New York: "I'm the head b*tch in charge around here".
                          marcus29687
                          I can agree with you on that. It's just the way things seem to work now a days. Men like to call themselves a "pimp." A pimp is nothing to be proud of, it's a low life scam of a man that owns a woman or women. People have been popularizing things that you really shouldn't be proud of for a while now.

marcus29687
                          6: The contestants are willing to do pointless tasks for Flav's amusement and the viewers' entertainment [ cleaning Warren G's house after it was completely trashed, gutting and cleaning fish in a diner]. In the episode when Flav's buddies came over for a party, many of them were willing to take off clothing, expose themselves, give lap dances, and pretty much do whatever they were asked to please the guests. The contestant named "Like That" even jumped in the pool with her clothes on just to give the guests a cheap laugh.
                          marcus29687
                          It's a TV show, bottom line. What were you thinking some of the women were going to do? Put on a play?

marcus29687
                          7: The women allow Flav to give them stupid nicknames because he doesn't want to take the time to remember their real names.
                          marcus29687
                          Hey if they don't mind having names like "Bootz" or "Krazy" than really what does it matter? If it doesn't brother them, why should it brother anyone esle?

marcus29687
                          Like I said above, I'm not a womens' rights activist but I do think women should be treated equally as men. I just find it amusing that some women complain about inequality and still behave this way on national television for a few minutes of passing fame. I would love to hear some more opinions about this show.

I agree with that, totally. But than there are some women who believe they should have special rights because of being a woman. All in all though, I'm sure if they did a show like this with a female star, say I don't Jessica Simpson or maybe Debbie Harry. Many men would go on TV and make total jackasses of themselves as well. As already mention it's just a show that was made for ratings. Ever since Flav was on Surreal Life, for whatever reason, VH1 cashed in on a new craze of him. Flav is cashing in on the reality tv craze, with Surreal Life, Stange Love, and now Flavor of Love. I think he knows that's all there really is to it, sure maybe in some ways he's hoping to find "true love" on the show, but overall, it's just a job. I'm sure he thinks of it like that as well.
                          Old_school_JJ's Signature Image
                          My tattoo....
                            System
                            79987 Posts
                            17 years, 7 months ago
                            ChiquitaEriquita

I'd never even WATCH the show no matter how much money they gave me.
                              MattNash
                              4135 Posts
                              17 years, 7 months ago
                              ChiquitaEriquita

I would, but only if I could play the part of FLA VA FLAVE!
                                marcus29687
                                51 Posts
                                17 years, 7 months ago
                                Davisrocks
                                don't watch it. don't care

Then don't reply.
                                  17 years, 7 months ago
                                  OK, why didn't I notice this before:

Explain the relevance of the poll to this thread.
                                    marcus29687
                                    51 Posts
                                    17 years, 7 months ago
                                    adventure_of_link
                                    OK, why didn't I notice this before:

Explain the relevance of the poll to this thread.

The poll is relevant because the thread is about the show. Hopefully it will bring some joy to geeks like yourself who have to dissect every thread.
                                      Sunriser
                                      3802 Posts
                                      17 years, 7 months ago
                                      Fuck no it doesn't. The women on the show don't represent me or my gender, they only represent themselves and the money-grabbing attention whores that appear on every reality show with no real purpose.

Honestly, I have no idea how you would make that connection. I would never worry that shows like that are stereotyping me in any negative way because I know I'm not like that, and I know other females are not like that, just certain people (men and women) so I'm not concerned about what others may or may not think of it. Who the hell would pay attention to that show anyway? If anything, shows like Sex in the City concern me more than VH1's celebreality, which have nothing to do with anything. You're just like all those people who complained that the show was stereotypical of black people and made black people look bad. You take it way too seriously.
                                        kayvee
                                        3672 Posts
                                        17 years, 7 months ago
                                        so...you didn't vote?
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss