Vickaronomie
19 Posts
17 years, 1 month ago
WARNING: Random nearly unending rant about... lot's of stuff. I'll try to keep it in somewhat of a cohesive order.

First off, I must comment on today's nostalgia-burst. I was talking with my buddies not too long ago about the whole thing and we came to the conclusion that the whole thing as a fad is pretty rediculous.

Don't get me wrong on this; I loves my nostalgia for a time that I lived through once and will never get to go back to (born 1987, true 90s child.)

I'm talking about all the kids and teens of today who are buying into all this nostalgia hype--literally. Doing all their shopping at Hot Topic, and other such stores, for expensive brand-name merchandise depicting characters, shows, games and other such things that came before their time, or that they once hated and only like now that it's "popular."

Are these kids even going to their parents or older peers and looking at them with any kind of respect for that time period? Probably not... at least, I have yet to be asked what it was like growing up in the early 90s...

(By the way: for ME it was like an endless summer with a constant glowing hot neon pink sunset, wearing a baseball cap skewed at an ungodly angle, playing tetris on his new Game Boy in front of colorful neon graffitti, while eating Cheetos Paws and watching SNICK. Which means it was apparently like a cartoon. Hey--I was a kid!)

While all this "nostalgia" crap is going on, (I'm actually getting pretty annoyed by that term,) no one is really coming up with a fad of their own. I see a few every now and then, (EMO, for example, is unique to this time,) but what it really comes down to is in the future, this time-period is going to be known for it's burst of "nostalgia."

Think about it: all the time-periods, up until now, have their own style. This time... I don't get that feeling. I feel like we're running out of things to do. Maybe we're in a creative slump, maybe we're just too lazy.

We were also talking about the old people of the future. Think about this: from this point on, all the future senior citizens will be listening to 80s and 90s music. ACTUALLY: my dad is part of the generation who will be listening to the likes of The Eagles, The Beach Boys and Pink Floyd, as well as countless 60s and 70s oldies on the radio.

After being exposed to the stereotypical old man and woman sitting in their den, dressed in dull shades of a clean-cut suit-and-tie and dress, listening to music from the 40s and 50s, this comes as a shock for the general 18-year-old (and older) crowds.

Not only this, mind you, but I predict another nostalgia burst. It's bound to happen after this run-around. Imagine a 2010s, 2020s burst? I wonder what sort of abbreviated slogan they'll come up with? (The Y2Ks?)

So eventually, as time goes on, when I become that weird old lady, in the Sonic The Hedgehog t-shirt, sitting around yelling at kids from her window while eating Cheetos Satellites, or something, and watching DVDs of Ren and Stimpy or listening to Smash Mouth... nostalgia will make a come-around and kids will go through the cycles once again.

I'm not trying to insult anyone (except for the popular kids who used to put me down in school for being weird, or for looking like a boy...) I'm just trying to spurr another kind of conversation; something that I haven't heard about yet in these forums.

And I hope this brings up good conversation, plenty of laughs... but no conflict. Just trying to get different points of view on the subject. I'll freak out if any of this causes something.
    brown_eyed1
    1948 Posts
    17 years, 1 month ago
    tl;dr....No, I'm kidding...*laughs*. But I agree. At the same time, I don't. I'm a teenager, and while I hate people who buy Mighty Mouse and Elmo shirts who've never even heard of the characters, I can't blame them for it...I guess nostaligia has become a fad of its own these days!
    Cookie!!! OM NOM NOM!
      MissALibra86
      521 Posts
      17 years, 1 month ago
      I believe that more nostalgia has turned up in these days because people are wishing for a simpler time, a more peaceful life, what with all the war and materalism and school violence that is going around these days. The majority of people who feel nostalgic, the 20 to 30 year olds, are going forward toward a very uncertain future concerning our world, and part of the reason they like to look back to the past is because it is comforting, it is certain, and we often remember the past more with rose colored lenses. I do not think nostalgia is a fad necessarily - it is more like a right of passage for all young adults and adults. Maybe all young adults look at their past and try to put the pieces of remembrance together as they move forward into the adult world with all its responsibilities.

It's just that merchandisers have recognized this increase in nostalgia and are now taking advantage of our desire to honor the past with designing t-shirts, stuffed animals, etc. that we nostalgia-hungry people will pay for - I believe there have always been people who were nostalgic about the past. I think there have been, and will be in the future, certainly, "bursts" of young adults (and maybe even younger) who are nostalgic about the past. We all have the desire to know where we came from so we have hope and optimism about where we are going, which is pretty rare in these daunting times (the 00's).

I do not think being nostalgic about the past is bad - as long as people do not live in the past instead of moving forward and as long as people honor the past as it was instead of how it was supposed to be. I have been nostalgic about the 80s for a long time. I only lived about 3 years and 3 months in the 80s, but I want to find out more about what it was like in the 80s. I believe forums like these, where people who love the past can come together and converse about the music, fads, etc. of past decades, can enrich all our experience and our understanding of the past and what is worth remembering about it.

And, we do not know what we will remember about the 2000's until we have lived through them and looked upon them from the distance of the future. It may not look like much to remember now, but maybe someday we will remember some things (such as the music, the movies) with fondness (or maybe not), while laughing at the stupid things that existed during that time. Nostalgic is also subjective - some people feel it more strongly than others - so each of us remember the best things of the past differently than others - it even exists now; some people might have loved Strawberry Shortcake, while other people more fondly remember TMNT.

In all, this is a very mind-provoking and interesting topic. I really hope a discussion about this topic happens - it would be interesting to read what other people think. Will my own wave of nostalgia go away, or will it get stronger as the future gets more bleak? I do not know, but it is quite interesting to think about it.
      You cannot leave the magic - Down at Fraggle Rock!

Anyone who sings like that should be dragged out into the street and shot - Garfield

I'm not messy. I'm organizationally challenged ! -Garfield

"Bouncing is what Tiggers do best!" - Tigger
        Ilikethepixies
        5870 Posts
        17 years, 1 month ago
        I figure one rambling post deserves another, so here it goes. Don't worry, I relate it all back to the idea of "retro".

Vickamanananawhatever, I think its how the society processes information.

We have reached what a lot of philosophers and artists call a "post-modern" society. Well, what does that mean?

Its like, if you look at a landscape painting done in the 1700's, you see a sense of unity... or like the Mona Lisa. There is a central focus... and there is an inherent "goal" in mind for the art. This can also be a way of thinking about the world. Looking at things like... there is one God and He created everything in a perfect functioning system... thats modernism.

So, if you listen to peice of classical music, it was done in this manner. Self-contained, doesn't reference anything else (or at least not on purpose).

Now, think of a pastiche ad in a magazine for a hip brandname. All cut up peices of information put in intentional disarray. The focus, or goal is gone. Its all about the mixing of different information. Think about rap songs using sampling. Taking old bits of pre-existing art, mixing them all up and making new art from it. This is much different than that old landscape painting or classical symphony.

There is so much information and art out there already, and it is so readily available, that people have started to use these as one might have used a specific color of paint long ago.

The whole "retro" thing might be like that too. We're using these old motifs... cutting and pasting them together to make mental montages of the world. Its like... we see so many different cultures, style of music, food, religion... its hard to make sense of it. So we take in all these different ways of looking at the world and try to put them all together in our mind to make something we can understand... even if it doesn't have a specific "goal".
        So for the children of the information age, this is how we mentally play. We scan for the quirkiest, fuzziest, most touching peices of art that affected us when we were young and think about them. Like, "I remember how Back To The Future made me feel like anything was possible." It shaped our minds back then, and maybe even has an effect on us to this day. Its all about trying to make sense of who we are and being able to have fun with it.
          Rainbow_Bright
          2505 Posts
          17 years, 1 month ago
          Geez you guys i think you responds were a little short lol. I agree with MissALibra86. I also agree that it's a fad when stores make all kinds of shit thats "retro" toys, clothes etc. I know that in fashion everything is recycled in a sence, so everything always comes back in style weather it's changed up a bit or exactly the same. I think it's good that stores have retro stuff like clothing or stuffed animals toys and whatever else because it gives the younger kids a tatse of the seveties and eighties that they never were around to experience. These retro fads are basically saying what we have been saying all along in these threads, things today just don't compare. Leave the future to technology thats probably one of the few things out there right now that isn't retro, that and food.
            HarryReems
            2067 Posts
            17 years, 1 month ago
            Hot Topic is the worst store ever.
            I pretty much wanna puke when I see some 15 year old emo douche walking around with skin tight jeans and a shirt with some old NES game on it. Those buttholes never played old games. Like you said, it's just a fad. Just like everyone saying that the Goonies is their favorite movie all of a sudden. Fads are NEVER good. EVER.
              lorax
              977 Posts
              17 years, 1 month ago
              HarryReems
              I pretty much wanna puke when I see some 15 year old emo douche walking around with skin tight jeans and a shirt with some old NES game on it. Those buttholes never played old games. Like you said, it's just a fad. Just like everyone saying that the Goonies is their favorite movie all of a sudden. Fads are NEVER good. EVER.

i know what you mean dude, i was talking to a kid about 4 years younger than me and somehow we were started talking about video games. i said something along the lines "remember the original nintendo and how awesome it was?" and they were like "yeah! i got it back in '93" i was taken back by that and said "The original or the super?" u know what she said?? "Aren't they the same?" I think that comment may have taken a couple of years off my life. At that exact moment i knew those kids born in the 90's were already a completely different generation from those born in the 80's.
              "This scar is a fleck on my porcelain skin, tried to reach deep but you couldn't get in..."
                SSJ_Jup81
                4806 Posts
                17 years, 1 month ago
                HarryReems
                And you know tihs how? For all you know, these children could have older siblings (or cousins) who played those games, and they played them later on when they were old enough too, and just grew to literally like them. These children could just be into retro gaming and collects older games. I know of a younger person who wasn't old enough to have owned/played an SNES, but has bought one because he was really interested in it.

As for movies, I like old movies myself; enough to say it's a favorite. Ever think that these people have literally watched the film, and fell in love with it? For some reason, I absolutely love The Bad News Bears with Walter Mathau (sp?) and Tatum O'Neal (sp?). I first saw this film, when I was a teenager, which was about the mid '90s. The movie was about 20 years old. I can honestly say that this is one of my all-time favorite films, even though I wasn't around (alive) when it originally was in theatres. Same goes for Star Wars. I loved the first original three when I saw them, in the 90s, not because of its being a "fad", but because I literally enjoyed them.

I didn't grow up in the 60s and the 70s (I wasn't even thought of yet), but, I love the clothes and trinketts from the eras and if I had the clothes, I definitely would wear them, or if I had the beads, ear-rings, or see anything like it, I'd buy 'em since I just literally like them. I have no idea why, though.

You shouldn't judge a person unless you actually know him/her, and if a young person likes something older, that shouldn't be held against him/her either since it could turn out to be a case where a person likes something because he/she likes it, not because of its being a fad. IMO, you're generalizing a whole group of people.

That aside, this is a very interesting topic, and I'll get around to posting more on it later, but I just felt I had to make a comment on what was said, there.
                  Javiomar
                  61 Posts
                  17 years, 1 month ago
                  I remember a lot of fads come & go. But sometimes, things that you do by accident become fads.

Example: I was trying to grow my hair long, but it grew into an afro, like Carlito, or the guy from Zoey 101. Well, in November I walk past campus and people started to look at my hair, they liked that style. Little did I know that by January, I started seeing imitators copy my "lion mane" look.
                    lorax
                    977 Posts
                    17 years, 1 month ago
                    SSJ_Jup81
                    And you know tihs how? For all you know, these children could have older siblings (or cousins) who played those games, and they played them later on when they were old enough too, and just grew to literally like them. These children could just be into retro gaming and collects older games. I know of a younger person who wasn't old enough to have owned/played an SNES, but has bought one because he was really interested in it.

I hear you on that, if it was for my brother, i never would have had any toys from the 70's to play with, and i feel because of him, i have a connection to the 70's now.
                    "This scar is a fleck on my porcelain skin, tried to reach deep but you couldn't get in..."
                      lorax
                      977 Posts
                      17 years, 1 month ago
                      SSJ_Jup81

I hear you on that, if it wasnt for my big brother, i never would have had any toys from the 70's to play with, and i feel because of him, i have a connection to the 70's now.
                        Javiomar
                        61 Posts
                        17 years, 1 month ago
                        SSJ_Jup81

I am not into gaming now, but my brother (born 1989) and me (in 1987) started retrogaming since 1994. Sega Master System, NES (we had 3 in different years), SNES (2, the last one in 2000), N64 (2002), Playstation (2005), and Playstation 2 (late 2005).

I wish I had a NES right now.
                          lorax
                          977 Posts
                          17 years, 1 month ago
                          i wish we hadn't lost the cord to our NES
                            HarryReems
                            2067 Posts
                            17 years, 1 month ago
                            SSJ_Jup81

As for movies, I like old movies myself; enough to say it's a favorite. Ever think that these people have literally watched the film, and fell in love with it? For some reason, I absolutely love The Bad News Bears with Walter Mathau (sp?) and Tatum O'Neal (sp?). I first saw this film, when I was a teenager, which was about the mid '90s. The movie was about 20 years old. I can honestly say that this is one of my all-time favorite films, even though I wasn't around (alive) when it originally was in theatres. Same goes for Star Wars. I loved the first original three when I saw them, in the 90s, not because of its being a "fad", but because I literally enjoyed them.

I didn't grow up in the 60s and the 70s (I wasn't even thought of yet), but, I love the clothes and trinketts from the eras and if I had the clothes, I definitely would wear them, or if I had the beads, ear-rings, or see anything like it, I'd buy 'em since I just literally like them. I have no idea why, though.

You shouldn't judge a person unless you actually know him/her, and if a young person likes something older, that shouldn't be held against him/her either since it could turn out to be a case where a person likes something because he/she likes it, not because of its being a fad. IMO, you're generalizing a whole group of people.

That aside, this is a very interesting topic, and I'll get around to posting more on it later, but I just felt I had to make a comment on what was said, there.

I'm not talking about people who like older things(movies, games), I'm talking about the people that do it just because it's part of whatever style they're buying into. Believe it or not, there are people who say they like stuff just to fit in. Especially younger kids in their teens. Everyone does it a little, but when you go overboard it's really annoying. Read the post under my original one. That guy knows what I'm talking about.
                              SSJ_Jup81
                              4806 Posts
                              17 years, 1 month ago
                              Javiomar; lorax: Yes, that's exactly what I mean. We shouldn't assume that just because a younger person wasn't around when said systems were out and about (and the same goes for music, television, movies, entertainment, in general), doesn't mean that he/she hasn't played them, or likes them. As a matter of fact, my younger cousin seems to really like my old N64 (she was born in 1994), and has played that way more than her Gameboy Advance, DS, or Gamecube.

Some people just like retro things, as I pointed out, I love stuff from the 60s and 70s fashion wise (minus the colors...too wild for me lol), but that doesn't mean I'm just trying to be a part of a fad. I just love the fashion, and always have. I just bought a shirt this past Sunday, and I just fell in love with it when I saw it. My mother pretty much went on to say, "I had a shirt like this when I was young! Wow, thirty years ago..." She was going on about how she never fathomed that the styles she grew up with and liked, would make a come back and she'd then go on to say, that I was definitely born in the wrong time, since I'd been into that type of stuff since I was really young.

HarryReems: Oh, well, in that case, I see where you're coming from. The impression I was getting from you, that no matter what a young person says or does, that he/she is just trying to "fit in", not that he/she just literally likes said fashion, or what have you. To me, you seemed to be generalizing a whole group of people, making the assumption that that's the only reason that one would be into certain things.
                                gustogummi
                                2602 Posts
                                17 years, 1 month ago
                                I see nothing wrong with younger people liking oder stuff, but when someone does it to just to follow a trend, then it's a problem for me.
                                  kayvee
                                  3672 Posts
                                  17 years, 1 month ago
                                  I never really payed much attention to that sort of thing. of course, I don't go to the malls much.
                                    17 years, 1 month ago
                                    lorax
                                    i wish we hadn't lost the cord to our NES

Power Cord or RF cord?

if the latter, just buy cheap audio/video cables from a electronics store and use the AV input (almost all TVs nowadays have at least one set of inputs)

if the former, no idea unless you look up on Google for NES AC adaptor specs
                                      marshmannes
                                      548 Posts
                                      17 years, 1 month ago
                                      Same with me. I don't like retro just to fit into the masses. In fact, I am pretty much against that. Just today, I saw some kids who wear those rock shirts (A Pink Floyd one, one for 2112 by Rush (Probably doesn't even know what the band or album is), and a Ramones one). There is a difference from liking it for the sake of personal interest (Myself) and exploiting it (50% of people in my school (The other 50% are gangsta wannabes)). I like many different things before I was born (1988), but some people take this too far and make it a fad. I guess part of it too is that I am the youngest in my family and take after my older siblings on those things and I take them to different levels and create my own person. I feel that being yourself is the most important thing you can do from yourself.
                                      The Tall Man: "You think that when you die, you go to Heaven. You come to us!"
                                        kayvee
                                        3672 Posts
                                        17 years, 1 month ago
                                        o.k., I get it. I used to get that way when I saw someone wearing a Dead Kennedy's or The Misfits shirt. I felt like it was my personal thing and they were cheapening my 'identity'. That was when I was in the middle and high school though. Once your free time gets eaten up by jobs, marriage, kids, and that sort of thing, you're gonna care a lot less about who's wearing what. Trust me.
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss