Thylacine
1525 Posts
16 years, 11 months ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magicicada

There's some information on them.

I remember these guys when they first came out...They're noisy little buggers, but they're really pretty. I used to play with these guys, letting them crawl up my arms and hands.
"Did I ever tell you how much I like ants huh? Especially fried in a subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?"
-Rampage, Beast Wars

brown_eyed1
    1948 Posts
    16 years, 11 months ago
    Pardon the pun, but everyone was abuzz this week at school with talk of the cicadas coming. They gross me out lol....
    Cookie!!! OM NOM NOM!
      99Centsplease
      518 Posts
      16 years, 11 months ago
      You live in Chicago or something? 'Cause around this time of year WGN devotes 9999999.9991% of its news coverage to the cicadas (Yeah, I still watch WGN News on the Superstation).
      500th post reached July 2, 2007.
      -----------
      :)!
        Thylacine
        1525 Posts
        16 years, 11 months ago
        99Centsplease
        You live in Chicago or something? 'Cause around this time of year WGN devotes 9999999.9991% of its news coverage to the cicadas (Yeah, I still watch WGN News on the Superstation).

I live near Chicago, yes.
        "Did I ever tell you how much I like ants huh? Especially fried in a subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?"
        -Rampage, Beast Wars

brown_eyed1
          1948 Posts
          16 years, 11 months ago
          99Centsplease

Thylacine
          I live near Chicago, yes.

Guilty as charged--Me too :D
          Cookie!!! OM NOM NOM!
            Brick_Wall
            1435 Posts
            16 years, 11 months ago
            Thylacine
            they're really pretty. I used to play with these guys, letting them crawl up my arms and hands.

you are gassed if you think these things are pretty. No bug is pretty. Except for the butterfly.
              punky
              441 Posts
              16 years, 11 months ago
              I live in Baltimore and we had cicadas a few years back...they weren't as awful as everyone said they would be! There weren't as many and they weren't as noisy.
                Thylacine
                1525 Posts
                16 years, 11 months ago
                punky
                I live in Baltimore and we had cicadas a few years back...they weren't as awful as everyone said they would be! There weren't as many and they weren't as noisy.

You should've seen them back in 1990.
                -Rampage, Beast Wars

Rainbow_Bright
                  2505 Posts
                  16 years, 11 months ago
                  are you guys talking about those loud bugs that are worse then crickets..otherwise iam lost as ushual..
                    Jesus_crysus
                    1260 Posts
                    16 years, 11 months ago
                    Thanx God For Not Have Those Things Up Here In Canada lol

JOIN THE REVOLUTION
                      System
                      79987 Posts
                      16 years, 11 months ago
                      Thylacine
                      You should've seen them back in 1990.

Yeah, they were much worse then. I remember riding my bike and having them run into me. This year they're not that bad.
                        Jesus_crysus
                        1260 Posts
                        16 years, 11 months ago
                        DebrisStorm
                        Yeah, they were much worse then. I remember riding my bike and having them run into me. This year they're not that bad.

all i can picture is u no a bike and a giant bug running full speed into u lol

Just Plowing U Over lol

JOIN THE REVOLUTION
                          99Centsplease
                          518 Posts
                          16 years, 11 months ago
                          Colorado never gets cicadas. It's just so sweltering hot in the summer.
                          500th post reached July 2, 2007.
                          -----------
                          :)!
                            kayvee
                            3672 Posts
                            16 years, 11 months ago
                            Brick_Wall
                            you are gassed if you think these things are pretty. No bug is pretty. Except for the butterfly.

awww, that's sweet.
                              16 years, 11 months ago
                              this one time, three years ago

we got cicadas

they were alright
                                kayvee
                                3672 Posts
                                16 years, 11 months ago
                                hahaha that sounded funny, link.

Yeah they were alright until one flew at my neck! I don't like 'em...or those little tree worms. I like them in jars only.
                                  Thylacine
                                  1525 Posts
                                  16 years, 11 months ago
                                  adventure_of_link
                                  this one time, three years ago

we got cicadas

they were alright

I remember that. I think they got confused because of the ground temperature (it's supposed to be sixty something degrees before they start to come out) or something, I don't remember.

Either that or it was those Thirteen year ones I read about.
                                  -Rampage, Beast Wars

Sunriser
                                    3802 Posts
                                    16 years, 11 months ago
                                    Still don't understand how they're different from locusts, which we get in full every year. I just think of them as rare locusts. Hehe, Dave Letterman went crazy with the cicada coverage the last time they were here.
                                      System
                                      79987 Posts
                                      16 years, 11 months ago
                                      Sunriser
                                      Still don't understand how they're different from locusts, which we get in full every year. I just think of them as rare locusts. Hehe, Dave Letterman went crazy with the cicada coverage the last time they were here.

Big difference. For one thing cicadas don't eat crops. They feed on the sap of trees. The cicadas everyone is making a big deal out of are the periodical cicada. They're also known as the 17 year cicada. They look different from the annual cicada that comes out every year. The other thing is that there's just a lot more of them that come out. Other than that, no big deal.
                                        kayvee
                                        3672 Posts
                                        16 years, 11 months ago
                                        yeah, I love that alien rattle sound. It seems like I don't hear that as often these days...probably because I am inside all day stuck in front of a computer.

This morning, a guy on Good Morning America ate one. He had a bunch on his shirt and he was standing next to a tree covered with them.
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss