Horny_Toad
590 Posts
13 years, 11 months ago
Why?

There is no medical reason why men would have to talk in "that" voice" at all.

Why the attention seeking? Why all the acting and idiotic mannerisms?

WHY?

Any gays on here care to explain why they or their friends do it?

I'm curious as to know why they feel it necessary.
    TheGreatShow
    1084 Posts
    13 years, 11 months ago
    I think it is about trying to be more like a woman sounding like that and all. Now I am not antigay at all in fact a good friend of mine is gay and thats cool. We respect eachother. Its kind of like a lesbian dressing like a man. I mean some people have sex changes. So whatever. Its their life and their choice imo. Honestly I wish all men were gay except for me cause it would take away from the competition. :lol:
    I Want An Emo Lawn So It Can Cut Itself
      ghiti
      446 Posts
      13 years, 11 months ago
      I think it might be more a part of the culture, like people tend to talk like those who they spend the most time with. Where that "gay" accent started though is a good question.

You could ask this question about any group who has a particular accent not constrained by region, I bet the answer would apply to all of them.

What we need is a linguist or someone who knows about dialects/accents and their origins.

And it's not attention seeking or IDIOTIC. It's just a trait that a minority of the population exhibits.
      GHITI is pronounced "fish".

THE BEST TRIP IS A NOSTALGIA TRIP![/size]

OMGWTFBBQ
      ghiti
      I know some people who would say they were a child of the 60's even though they were born well a
        regular_joe
        728 Posts
        13 years, 11 months ago
        I think its stereotyping.

" The last man nearly ruined this place/He didn't know what to do with it/If you think this countrys bad off now just what till I get through with it":D
          TheGreatShow
          1084 Posts
          13 years, 11 months ago
          Oh one thing I forgot to add a coworker of mine said he thinks that they talk like that for attention. I think some do. But heres the thing I think he is in the closet. He has that emo hair cut you know the kind that hangs over his eyes , he has numerous piercings in his ears and on top of that he wears super tight jeans. Cause he always talks about how he hates gay people. Its almost like he is afraid to admit the truth. But oh well. I kind of agree with him though cause I do know of one gay coworker we had and he came to work wearing a cheerleading outfit with the skirt and everything for halloween but they made him cover it up with a sweatshirt tho. Thats calling for attention though.
            TheGreatShow
            1084 Posts
            13 years, 11 months ago
            regular_joe

Thats true cause one of my friends at work I didnt know he was gay until him and another gay coworker started dating and we worked in the same dept.
              System
              79987 Posts
              13 years, 11 months ago
              ghiti
              I think it might be more a part of the culture, like people tend to talk like those who they spend the most time with. Where that "gay" accent started though is a good question.

You could ask this question about any group who has a particular accent not constrained by region, I bet the answer would apply to all of them.

What we need is a linguist or someone who knows about dialects/accents and their origins.

And it's not attention seeking...

It's interesting. Obviously not all homosexuals speak "that way", of course. And I don't think it's about "trying to be more like a woman" like someone mentioned before. Gay men aren't like heterosexual women at all. Maybe some transvestites and transexuals are trying to sound like women but many transvestites aren't gay.

I remember some kids at school who had that "accent" and it was assumed that they were gay. Early teenagers also take on that "accent" and way of speaking even though they've probably had very little contact with other homosexuals. It seems to transcend nations and cultures too.

I had this art teacher who spoke like that but he was married and had a son who also spoke "that" way.

Very interesting. Are there any any Queer-Theorists, or Linguists on Retro Junk?
                misspiggy
                1442 Posts
                13 years, 11 months ago
                I think the gay men that talk like that are the ones who have the "bad" woman traits like gossiping and bitch slapping the compitition. Not all gay men talk like that, just the bitchy ones. I think it is a combination of being giddy and typical bitchy woman disorder. Just my opinion. Also I think it is a mating call of sorts. A way to recognize each other in a crowd to see who is "family", if you know what I'm sayin'.*wink wink, rainbow bumber stickers and pink triangles...bears for the boys.
                  System
                  79987 Posts
                  13 years, 11 months ago
                  I live in breamerton's gay neighborhood adn only one of my neighbors talkes like that. But he's all out there, even does a drag show on the weekends. His "husband" on the other hand is the exact opposite. Former navy guy, real manly like, jsut anohter one of the guys. You'd never know he was gay if he didn't tell you. We hang out adn watch sci fi movies together on the weekens when his significant other is doing the drag thing.
                    Timown
                    1575 Posts
                    13 years, 11 months ago
                    I know more straight guys that talk like 'that'

But the few gay friends i have did start talking more like 'that' when they came out
                    BLUE
                      gumbyman
                      2008 Posts
                      13 years, 11 months ago
                      Well, i think its just something people are born with personally, i have known people that talk feminine but it turns out there perfectly straight.
                        billcozby
                        1358 Posts
                        13 years, 11 months ago
                        that's beef
                          Millennial
                          101 Posts
                          13 years, 11 months ago
                          Gay men talk like 'that,' because they're filled with black goo and have no soul.

...or at least that's what Mommy and Daddy told me.

WE ARE CATHOLIC IN THIS HOUSE.

Yeah.
                            SSJ_Jup81
                            4806 Posts
                            13 years, 11 months ago
                            TheGreatShow
                            regular_joe
                            Thats true cause one of my friends at work I didnt know he was gay until him and another gay coworker started dating and we worked in the same dept.
                            I have to go with this one. I was best friends with a guy, and he turned out to be gay and I didn't know it until he just straight up told me since he didn't act like a stereotypical gay guy.
                              13 years, 11 months ago
                              They talk in "that" way because they need some kind of social signal to tell other people that they're gay. Some do it conciously, some unconciously, but all people send signals to let others know what they're like.
                                shiroihikari
                                1751 Posts
                                13 years, 11 months ago
                                There was a popular kid in my class that talked like "that" and had girlier handwriting than mine. You know, that big, curvy, loopy-looking kind. I and many of my classmates never thought anything of it, but then he came out shortly after we graduated. Looking back, I don't know how we didn't see it coming.
                                Coming Soon to Nostalgia Junkie: Nostalgiathon 2009!
                                  An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss