1994rules
49 Posts
13 years, 10 months ago
I think some cartoons from the 1960s are better than many cartoons now. I've always liked Tom & Jerry, how about you?

I like the Pink Panther cartoons and the Flintstones, also.
    abrindlek
    82 Posts
    13 years, 10 months ago
    Those were the days when anything that Hanna-Barabara touched turned to gold. There is a reason that a great many of those cartoons are still remembered today (not involving several HORRIBLE spinoffs).
      gumbyman
      2008 Posts
      13 years, 10 months ago
      I think a lot of good shows came from the 60s, The Jetsons, The Flinstones etc..
        Bomberman
        3299 Posts
        13 years, 10 months ago
        '60s and '70s cartoons sucked, really shows never got good until the '80s. I mean, I dunno why, I just never found Looney Toons or Tom and Jerry to be too funny, too cliché for my tastes.
        Game... ovahhhhhhhhh!!!
          System
          79987 Posts
          13 years, 10 months ago
          Bomberman
          '60s and '70s cartoons sucked, really shows never got good until the '80s. I mean, I dunno why, I just never found Looney Toons or Tom and Jerry to be too funny, too cliché for my tastes.

I guess they seemed cliche though because all the cartoons has copied them since. The ideas were original back in the 60s though. Personally I never really liked those old cartoons either - I liked Warner Bros. but that's about it.
            mlw1984
            1435 Posts
            13 years, 10 months ago
            I personally don't care for most of the stuff from the 1960's. There was a few good ones but all of the stuff that came on Saturday Mornings during that era were awful. My mom hates talking about those cartoons.

The cartoons that I do like from that era: Jetsons, Flintstones, Top Cat, Rocky and Bullwinkle and a few others.
              System
              79987 Posts
              13 years, 10 months ago
              mlw1984
              There was a few good ones but all of the stuff that came on Saturday Mornings during that era were awful. My mom hates talking about those cartoons.

They must have been pretty traumatic.
                COOLHAND
                2938 Posts
                13 years, 10 months ago
                i like old cartoons so much. i think especially old disney shorts and warner bros stuff cause they defined animation and they are great
                  13 years, 10 months ago
                  Tom and Jerry is the classic of classics. I've heard that Mighty Mouse was pretty good too. The Jetsons and the Flinstones look bland today, but they were probably considered good by the kids who watched them back then.
                    SSJ_Jup81
                    4806 Posts
                    13 years, 10 months ago
                    I think it really depends. Getting right down to it, I don't care for too many 60s cartoons either, aside from the obvious Flintstones and Top Cat and Johnny Quest and Yogi Bear and Droopy and stuff. Most HB cartoons I never cared much for. I preferred the Warner Bros. stuff.

As for Tom & Jerry, I personally dislike the 60s version, but I love the versions from the 40s and the 50s. With the Jetsons, I don't care for the 60s version (too sexist for my liking), but, I really liked the 80s version (a bit more realistic, and George didn't have that, "a woman's place is in the home" mentality).
                      COOLHAND
                      2938 Posts
                      13 years, 10 months ago
                      hahaha are you serious? sexist?
                        COOLHAND
                        2938 Posts
                        13 years, 10 months ago
                        frito23
                        damn the woman in both openings stole the whole wallet.

what does that mean
                          SSJ_Jup81
                          4806 Posts
                          13 years, 10 months ago
                          COOLHAND
                          Yes, sexist. Look at the time period it was made. The early 60s. The mentality was still "a woman's place is in the home." I'm sure if this would've been done in the later part of the 60s, it probably wouldn't have had this type of stuff in it.

Jane didn't even know how to drive, and the episode where she was learning to drive, they were making fun of women drivers pretty much saying that they're incapable of it. George even had the mentality that women shouldn't be driving and was glad that Jane didn't.

The 80s version was better, imo, because most of those notions were dropped and had a more modern way of thinking and the show didn't come across with women being inferior to men.
                            mr3urious
                            3356 Posts
                            13 years, 10 months ago
                            There are some T&J cartoons from the 60's that I like, such as "Calypso Cat", "Snowbody Loves Me", "Penthouse Mouse", and "The Cat's Me-Ouch!", and "Cat and Dupli-Cat".

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -Kurt Cobain
                              Sunriser
                              3802 Posts
                              13 years, 10 months ago
                              SSJ_Jup81
                              COOLHAND
                              Yes, sexist. Look at the time period it was made. The early 60s. The mentality was still "a woman's place is in the home." I'm sure if this would've been done in the later part of the 60s, it probably wouldn't have had this type of stuff in it.

Jane didn't even know how to drive, and the episode where she was learning to drive, they were making fun of women drivers pretty much saying that they're incapable of it. George even had the mentality that women shouldn't be driving and was glad that Jane didn't.

The 80s version was better, imo, because most of those notions were dropped and had a more modern way of thinking and the show didn't come across with women being inferior to men.

Some people still feel that way though and some women are like that. Maybe they were sending the message that some things never change? Nah! I'm sure they were just trying to make relatable episodes.

I love Rocky and Bullwinkle, The Jetsons, and the Looney Toons/Merrie Melodies during that time can't be beat. Other shows I'm not big on. And ever since my fiance started waking up to the remake of the Speed Racer theme song, I haven't ever wanted to watch it. I'll bet it's going to be in the new movie.
                                pjb2377
                                937 Posts
                                13 years, 10 months ago
                                I enjoyed the Simon and Mr. Peabody segment from The Rocky And Bullwinkle show.

Scooby Doo will always be a stand out cartoon from that era for me.
                                  COOLHAND
                                  2938 Posts
                                  13 years, 10 months ago
                                  60s cartoons are the reason we dont have quality cartoons anymore. cartoons were made like scooby doo with limited animation. an entire season of scooby doo could be produced for the same price as one disney or warner bros short. so they forced those companies to do the same
                                    the-micro-man
                                    3492 Posts
                                    13 years, 10 months ago
                                    Bomberman

Looney Toons and Tom & Jerry are HILARIOUS! :D
                                      Bomberman
                                      3299 Posts
                                      13 years, 10 months ago
                                      To someone in the '60s, maybe. Every episode is the same with some slightly different theme to me.
                                      Game... ovahhhhhhhhh!!!
                                        1994rules
                                        49 Posts
                                        13 years, 10 months ago
                                        the-micro-man
                                        Bomberman

Looney Toons and Tom & Jerry are HILARIOUS! :D

I agree! :D
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss