System
79987 Posts
13 years, 10 months ago
Shoes were a big deal when I was in high school. The early 1990s were the time when athletes weren't superstars until they had their own line of sneakers. Even though I was pretty poor as a kid, fro my 13th birthday my parents spent over $100 on me for one pair of Adidas Mutombos.

I had the more colourful ones.

I didn't even know who Dikembe Mutombo was to be honest, but it made me the coolest kid at school for about a week to have these. What were the coolest shoes that the kids all coveted when you were in high school?
    snkreed99
    139 Posts
    13 years, 10 months ago
    When I was in jr high, it was the Rebok high tops, with the puffy tongue. Later, in high school it was Air Jordans, the ones with the multi-colored soles and Timberlands.
    Are you ready for a report card????
      the-micro-man
      3492 Posts
      13 years, 10 months ago
      I had these pairs of white Converse All-Stars I wore when I was 5... I can't find a picture of them, though.
        Catra
        104 Posts
        13 years, 10 months ago
        I had Reebok pumps in 4th grade. They definitely made me pretty awesome. When I was in grade nine, Airwalks were super popular, so I mostly wore those.
          80s90sboy87
          376 Posts
          13 years, 10 months ago
          I had L.A. Gear, the ones that light up, Reebok, Nike, later in the 90's I got into Skechers around 97-98.
            war2112
            4 Posts
            13 years, 10 months ago
            I had a pair of Converse, circa 1983, that had green, purple, and orange panels. I hung onto them for many years after even though they no longer fit. I finally gave them to a girlfriend's son and it was really cool seeing him wear them.
            I got a hubcap diamond star halo
            I'm dirty and sweet oh yeah
              retroguy78
              594 Posts
              13 years, 10 months ago
              The best shoes I ever had were a pair of Air Jordans and my very first pair of Sketchers from when I was a freshman in high school.
                Rainbow_Bright
                2505 Posts
                13 years, 10 months ago
                I loved a pair of shoes i had in kindergarden they were pink and blue with velcrow and laces in hightop form oh and they came with a sweet plastic braclet.
                  oblivous
                  60 Posts
                  13 years, 10 months ago
                  I would have to say La Gear or the shoes the you had the pump on the front of the shoe that you pushed.
                    mlw1984
                    1435 Posts
                    13 years, 10 months ago
                    I wore LA Gears throughout the early 1990's.
                      velcrohead
                      580 Posts
                      13 years, 10 months ago
                      Air Jordans all the way. If you had those, you were cool.
                        NoCode0680
                        575 Posts
                        13 years, 10 months ago
                        I had some Air Jordans, but only one pair, for the outrageous price they charged, the shoe wasn't that great. I liked the Reebok Pumps. And then they came out with the pumps that had the pump, but it also came with a little gun thing that you loaded with air cartridges, and there was a little nozzle on the shoe, and you could just pump them up with the air canister.
                        Pearl to the damn Jam

marioluigi
                          73 Posts
                          13 years, 10 months ago

and remember those Nike sneakers that said AIR in big letters up each side of the shoe?
                            jadedoz
                            711 Posts
                            13 years, 10 months ago
                            I had Reebok Pumps when I was in about year 3 or 4 and I also had LA Gears with the double laces.
                            When I started High School I had Coverse basketball shoes.
                              System
                              79987 Posts
                              13 years, 10 months ago
                              Yeah, the double lace thing was popular here in 1990 - 1992. I also had Converse with React Juice. I can't find a picture of them though...I always thought that the React Juice thing was a pretty popular gimmick...
                                Mad-Mike
                                539 Posts
                                13 years, 10 months ago
                                Till my feet got "too big", I wore what the other kids called "Pie Crusts", basically, cheap Wal-Mart shoes....

Then the day came that my feet were measured at a size 12.5 mens, and Wal-Mart would no longer do, and as I grew, I had to get more mainstream and expensive shoes, about the only name I remember were Reebok and Nike Air Icarus. Finding anything that big outside of Reebok or Nike is next to impossible.
                                  jango52577
                                  2805 Posts
                                  13 years, 10 months ago
                                  I had L.A. lights, a pair of Sonic and Knuckles shoes, and an awesome pair of B.K. Knights.
                                    System
                                    79987 Posts
                                    13 years, 10 months ago
                                    I remember that British Knights were what I initially wanted but they didn't have them in my size so I ended up getting the Mutombos.
                                      gustogummi
                                      2602 Posts
                                      13 years, 10 months ago
                                      Combat Boots were definitely in for me during my teenager years.
                                        ghiti
                                        446 Posts
                                        13 years, 10 months ago
                                        It's not that shoes were coveted where I went to school, but once a trend was set EVERYONE had the same pair. In 7th-8th grade (98 ish) it was these black Adidas low tops with the white stripes. Went along with those Adidas snap-off pants.

In elementary school first it was the shoes that pumped air through the tongue, then they came out with the shoes with the lights in the sole. I was too old/my feet were too big by the time those came out but I thought they were cool.

Of course girls wore jelly shoes in the early 90's.

Myself, I went for design rather than name. I had a lot of high top shoes with screened characters on them like Tweety and Mickey. I had one pair of converse knock-offs that had a pattern of repeating Looney Tunes characters on the fabric. Then in Jr. High it was Doc Martens (because I wanted to be Daria), Airwalks, Skechers platforms, and sandals all summer long. High school it turned to Vans (there was an outlet store at the mall) and Cons. I don't think I ever paid more than $30 for a pair, other than the boots.
                                        GHITI is pronounced "fish".

THE BEST TRIP IS A NOSTALGIA TRIP![/size]

OMGWTFBBQ
                                        ghiti
                                        I know some people who would say they were a child of the 60's even though they were born well a
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss