I know that when I was around 18, I saw one of those infommercials for 80's music..and that's when I starting really getting nostalgic for my past and the 80's decade. Because by 1995...the 80's was def a different decade than the 90's. And alot of the music, tv or whatever was no longer being played.
However the 2000's are alot different. It's 2008 and this decade is almost over, but I don't really see much of change from 2000 to now...or even anything that really distinguises the 2000's from the late 90's! I mean there are a few things different but not really a big drastic decade defining change. Such as how the 70's were all psychadellic, bell-bottoms, afros, 8-track tapes...and by like 1983...no bell bottoms, no fros, pastel colors and 8-tracks were completely out of style!
As for 12-14 yr olds...I really can't see what they have any nostalgia for. Number one, they are still kids so what do they long for in their lives from 5-10yrs ago...being in the crib? LOL I mean, the same tv shows are still on, same music being played, same food being eaten, same cartoons, same clothing styles... And if you want to be ultra modern.. they still have the internet, music still on CDs..even though they have ipods now and you still have Windows XP! LOL
There is so much stuff that is different about now from the late 90's to early 2000's.
- Rice Rockets were everywhere, there dead now.
- Everyone used hair gel like mad crazy not anymore...
- Piercings were HUGE late 90's, no one get's piercings anymore.
- Tribal Tattoos...
- There was really no such thing as Energy Drinks...
- Everyone still used 56k modems
- Old Navy was "cool"
- DVDS were still very new.
- 50 inch flat screens were 10,000 dollars.
- Grunge music was still alive
- EMO had not yet invaded the world like it has.
- MTV was still playing music videos
- Pre 911 the world wasn't so fucking paranoid and PC about everything.