the-micro-man
3492 Posts
13 years, 8 months ago
It came to me this morning, the possibility and likelihood. Basically, I have an idea. An idea of "shadow decades". Shadow decades would project characteristics of a decade 20 years prior.

Let's look at the 2000s:

- Many people say that music in the 2000s is similar to the 1980s music. Bands like DragonForce, which resemble some 1980s metal bands, are now popular. Guns N' Roses is making a comeback (or so they say). Rap is very popular like it was in the 1980s.

- "Retro" gaming is now cool again. People proudly wear T-shirts of their favorite 8-bit video games, and Mega Man wristbands can be seen in Hot Topic. The original Pac-Man was re-released on a next-gen system (X-BOX 360). I noticed that many newer games retain the simplicity and rawness in terms of gameplay of video games from the early 80's, such as "Full Auto".

- The 2000s was the return of the 80's for movies. New movies of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Rocky, Transformers, etc. are all hitting the big screen and they all have done very well. Meanwhile, movies like "Be Kind, Rewind" seem like they would have been more at home in the 1980s.

- People claim 1980s fashions are back. Now, I haven't seen this for myself, much, but I take word for it. Emos may well be the "punks" of the 2000s, but emos do really suck in comparison.

Meanwhile, there's a rising similarity to the 1990s taking place in this decade:

- People want "real music" back, like when people in the 1980s liked 1970s rock but were indifferent to the commercialized music of the 80's. This is how it often is the 2000s, as people are yearning for "raw" 1990s music. Of course, it took a couple years for this to come to the surface, but when it does, it'll probably be in the 2010s.

- People are becoming indifferent to the fashion of today. Look around. Areopostale, American Eagle, Hollister, Abercrombie and Fitch. Kids everywhere are dressing like preps. Kids like myself are beginning to get sick of it, and thus, dressing in non-fashionable clothing, like plain T-shirts and flannel.

I could be very wrong, but it seems possible. Tell me what you think. Will the 2010s be the great 1990s revival? Will Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden be cooler than ever? Will we see kids wearing power rangers and Super Mario 64 T-shirts?

You decide.
    Shaunbadia
    2395 Posts
    13 years, 8 months ago
    the-micro-man
    Will we see kids wearing Super Mario 64 T-shirts?

Super Mario 64 was re-released for the DS so in a way it's already resurfaced. :)

MRCSL1
      504 Posts
      13 years, 8 months ago
      God knows if it actually will. I like to wear plain and non-fashionable clothing other than wearing preppy designs. I've seen students at my school wearing Power Ranger shirts the first semester.
        eddstarr88
        6987 Posts
        13 years, 8 months ago
        Quite the astute observer. You've seen the pattern for yourself and it's fascinating to watch. What used to be "decade" trends are now happening at a faster turnover. Some people say that retro is happening at 3 to 5 year cycles now. What's remarkable is the reaching for styles that are earlier in the 20th century. So mix & match or take your pick. Stuff you know and stuff you've never seen first hand is all available to everyone. Heads up for the-micro-man. By the year 2010 you may be riding a donkey. Say hi to Al Gore's robot severed head for me.
        The Eldorado is dead. Long live the Eldorado.
          Bomberman
          3299 Posts
          13 years, 8 months ago
          Ummm, I wear Super Mario 64 T-shirts all the time, they're actually not very hard to come by. I don't think this decade is like the '80s at all, and I doubt the following one will be like the '90s. Just stick to whatever decade makes ya happy, and let everything else progress on its own.
          Game... ovahhhhhhhhh!!!
            13 years, 8 months ago
            No, well I'd say some of it is coming back. :?
            I am Ricky, hear me think! :D
              moe93
              4 Posts
              13 years, 8 months ago
              I was thinking about that my self. Like in the 80's guys had their hair longer, and look now, lot's of guys have their hair long. But not all of the 90's will comeback. It's almost 2010 and cartoons still suck. the 90's was the best time for cartoons now all the cartoons are educational or won't show that much violence because they think we'll imitate it. The cartoon makers are dumbass pussies. I'm pretty sure it will happen but I think some of the big parts of the 90's won't come back. Like the power rangers, I just seen an episode and it's shit. It was one of the hottest,no the hottest show of the 90's, and pokemon, it's so damn cheesy, all of them are pussies, the only good episode i just saw was the one where a pokemon hunter tries to capture pikachu. I think a way to spped up the process is if someone started a tv network that shows all the great show of the nineties. It's time for a change.
                Bomberman
                3299 Posts
                13 years, 8 months ago
                Pokémon was cheesy a lot, but I think it was a good way to experience emotion in something like that for young kids, a lot of episodes were really tearjerking to me.
                Game... ovahhhhhhhhh!!!
                  the-micro-man
                  3492 Posts
                  13 years, 8 months ago
                  Bomberman
                  Pokémon was cheesy a lot, but I think it was a good way to experience emotion in something like that for young kids, a lot of episodes were really tearjerking to me.

I'd have to agree with you there. I almost cried at the final episode of the first season of Digimon, actually.
                    Videogamenerd
                    1202 Posts
                    13 years, 8 months ago
                    Micro you have made the ultimate assumption and i agree this generation is the shadow of the 80's-90's.
                    [sub] [/sub]

eddstarr88
                      6987 Posts
                      13 years, 8 months ago
                      the-micro-man is on to something. The 1990's have crawled into the new century and nothing can stop the wiggling. Die 1990's . . . Die!
                        Krayzee
                        1032 Posts
                        13 years, 8 months ago
                        Hopefully it'll make a "return."

I hate this decade.
                        92 til Infinity
                          MattNash
                          4135 Posts
                          13 years, 8 months ago
                          Yes, each decade has a fascination with the decade before its last decade. I remember in the eighties when there was a sixties fascination, such as shows like "The Wonder Years", and the seventies had a fascination with the fifties, such as shows like "Happy Days".
                            eddstarr88
                            6987 Posts
                            13 years, 8 months ago
                            Help! The 1990's have me by my leg and it won't let go. Somebody call Michael Jackson.
                              Duffiskoolomg
                              594 Posts
                              13 years, 8 months ago
                              I hope so! I loved the 90s but it will never be like that again.
                                System
                                79987 Posts
                                13 years, 8 months ago
                                the-micro-man
                                It came to me this morning, the possibility and likelihood. Basically, I have an idea. An idea of "shadow decades". Shadow decades would project characteristics of a decade 20 years prior.

Let's look at the 2000s:

- Many people say that music in the 2000s is similar to the 1980s music. Bands like DragonForce, which resemble some 1980s metal bands, are now popular. Guns N' Roses is making a comeback (or so they say). Rap is very popular like it was in the 1980s.

- "Retro" gaming is now cool again. People proudly wear T-shirts of their favorite 8-bit video games, and Mega Man wristbands can be seen in Hot Topic. The original Pac-Man was re-released on a next-gen system (X-BOX 360). I noticed that many newer games retain the simplicity and rawness in terms of gameplay of video games from the early 80's, such as "Full Auto".

- The 2000s was the return of the 80's for movies. New movies of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Rocky, Transformers, etc. are all hitting the big screen and they all have done very well. Meanwhile, movies like "Be Kind, Rewind" seem like they would have been more at home in the 1980s.

- People claim 1980s fashions are back. Now, I haven't seen this for myself, much, but I take word for it. Emos may well be the "punks" of the 2000s, but emos do really suck in comparison.

Meanwhile, there's a rising similarity to the 1990s taking place in this decade:

- People want "real music" back, like when people in the 1980s liked 1970s rock but were indifferent to the commercialized music of the 80's. This is how it often is the 2000s, as people are yearning for "raw" 1990s music. Of course, it took a couple years for this to come to the surface, but when it does, it'll probably be in the 2010s.

- People are becoming indifferent to the fashion of today. Look around. Areopostale, American Eagle, Hollister, Abercrombie and Fitch. Kids everywhere are dressing like preps. Kids like myself are beginning to get sick of it, and thus, dressing in non-fashionable clothing, like plain T-shirts and flannel.

I could be very wrong, but it seems possible. Tell me what you think. Will the 2010s be the great 1990s revival? Will Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden be cooler than ever? Will we see kids wearing power rangers and Super Mario 64 T-shirts?

You decide.

Well, all the revivals could just be more proof that Hollywood's run out of original ideas. And you say people want "real music" back? Thank God. I thought Soulja Boy had won the entire country over.
                                  MrCleveland
                                  1066 Posts
                                  13 years, 8 months ago
                                  I was playing a "Sonic Mega-Classic" on PS2 today.

I think there will be! I'm STILL hoping for "Doug", "Rugrats", and "Mr. Cooper" on DVD.
                                    SilverSpeedy
                                    248 Posts
                                    13 years, 8 months ago
                                    the-micro-man

And if you think of it alot, if emos are todays "punks" then just imagine what the next decade's "grungers" will be like, worse than emos perhaps?

TurboDuo
                                      2086 Posts
                                      13 years, 8 months ago
                                      Hey, if the 80s made a comeback after 20 years, then why not the 90s? I think we'll see the 90s make a comeback within the next decade. :)
                                      I want to be a dentist.

http://gamejunkie.com/
                                      YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/user/TurboDuo
                                        TurboDuo
                                        2086 Posts
                                        13 years, 8 months ago
                                        Bomberman

The end of the first episode and the episode where they thought that Pikachu was gone almost made me cry as a kid.
                                        I want to be a dentist.

http://gamejunkie.com/
                                        YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/user/TurboDuo
                                          An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss