DiddyKong85
27 Posts
13 years, 8 months ago
Did anyone see this movie? Is it any good?
    NintendoPower
    346 Posts
    13 years, 8 months ago
    I heard the plot sucked, but the half cartoon, half computer animation was good.

Theme Parks United.com
    Coming in January 2011!

For any Classic Nickelodeon traders, this trading page is for YOU!

http://www.classicnickelodeon2.webs.com

100th post! Friday January 9, 2009 at 6:30 AM
      Xe-A-Thoul
      6031 Posts
      13 years, 8 months ago
      Bomberman saw it, and he thought it sucked, man! 8)
      I must enter a signature.
        Bomberman
        3299 Posts
        13 years, 8 months ago
        I thought the plot sucked, but the effects were amazing, awesome transitions too. But forced, unnecessary romance between Speed and Trixie right from the start... *sigh* Also, there was a total of one reference to the original animé, which is when Speed wins a race and jumps out of the car, he does the exact same pose from the end of the intro to the cartoon. Although the costumes were perfect, they were really well-done and spot on, aside from Spritle and Chim-Chim who seemed to wear new outfits throughout, but those weren't bad. The anti-capitalist message was overused and lame, not something expected of Speed Racer. The best part was certainly the credits music, it was a mix between the original Japanese theme song and the American one, I stayed through most of the credits just to listen to it.
        Game... ovahhhhhhhhh!!!
          Lottech96
          1274 Posts
          13 years, 8 months ago
          I really Don't remember a romance in the Anime I had mixed feelings when I saw the Previews for this. I'm guessing They couldn't afford to put the Mach 5 on GT Tracks. Now I wonder if the Japanese are making a Mach go go go Movie?
          Who Want's some BLOGna!!?
          http://spacemanmonster.blogspot.com/
          Did you know they'll make a game show out of..
          http://tmgsoo.blogspot.com/
            liukangx
            3907 Posts
            13 years, 8 months ago
            I am still wondering who the hell gave them the rights to make that movie. but just like everything that originates in Japan and is remade in America (like Godzilla 2000)it will look likea whole bunch of FX that has nothing to do with the making the plot good

[ur
              13 years, 8 months ago
              Hmmm should I see it? :?
              I am Ricky, hear me think! :D
                eddstarr88
                6987 Posts
                13 years, 8 months ago
                Glad to hear that the movie married themes from the tv show. I'm convinced it's music that can be a deal breaker on a big budget film like Speed Racer. Part of the charm of early anime has got to be the music. With limited animation and tight money it's the music that can carry a tv show. A big budget film based on a tv show has a more difficult line to walk because the fans know the tv show on such an intimate level. So easy to get the music mix wrong.
                The Eldorado is dead. Long live the Eldorado.
                  Captain_Howdy30
                  2207 Posts
                  13 years, 8 months ago
                  Don't forget that it was made by those brothers who did the Matrix Trilogy and V for Vendetta. I'm surprised the whole movie wasn't one giant black trenchcoat.
                    Kazenji
                    342 Posts
                    13 years, 8 months ago
                    One good thing the wachowski brothers do know what to do is translating action scenes from anime to live action and sometimes a good plot

In the latest empire mag (AUS) they have a thing called "After Speed racer why no make movies of these cartoons" they mentioned couple of other titles that should be turned into one after speed racer a good choice would've been Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman.
                      MRCSL1
                      504 Posts
                      13 years, 8 months ago
                      I actually thought the overuse of CGI ruined the movie. I thought it was funny how someone would have John Goodman play as Pops.
                        Caps_2-0(Moderator)
                        2745 Posts
                        13 years, 8 months ago
                        I saw this movie on vacation last week and I enjoyed it. I had forgotten the old cartoon, so I just took the movie for what it was and I enjoyed. It was a little disorienting at times, but I did like the visuals and I thought the performances were good. I thought that John Goodman was good at playing Pops, although I am surprised that the Wachowskis went with him. I've always associated him with the Coen Brothers and the first "Flintstones" movie, but he did a good job.
                          knuclear200x
                          5908 Posts
                          13 years, 8 months ago
                          i tend to compare this movie with the Transformers 2007 movie. this movie is longer, and has a little more conversation scenes, but is complimented with the core racing scenes. Plus the actors were well picked, i havent seen john goodman in years and susan sarandon, i didnt know she was there, cuz im the kind of guy who doesnt read about the upcoming movies or watch too many previews. that way i have no idea whatsgoing to happen.

anywaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...watch it. cool visuals, and a story is almost the like the original with a small twist.

and a "Mr. Smith-type" racer X you'll just love.
                            An unhandled error has occurred. Reload Dismiss