Comments

Comments
RetroBen81 Posted 11 years 10 months ago
The original intro and outro for The (New) Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show has been unearthed: just check out its inclusion on Saturday Morning Cartoons Volume 2 (the '70s) DVD.
oldskoollover Posted 12 years 1 month ago
Although the theme song is a little on the catchy side, I still like the original cartoons a whole lot better.
Sonic2Tomandjerry Posted 12 years 4 months ago
Hey this one is still showing I know it's on Cartoon Network!I'm serious no lie!
Backfromthedead Posted 13 years 23 days ago
its tragic, really. the new ones don't have and violence at all, and they totally ruined it by making a movie where they talk and sing and a whole lot of crap. the first born ones are so much better.
yeazell Posted 13 years 5 months ago
The originals from the 40's and 50's are classic. From the 60's on the storylines and the anime were much worse.
mlw1984 Posted 13 years 5 months ago
*pukes* Tom and Jerry is nothing without violence, I guess I'll stick to the originals.
SummertmeBrews Posted 15 years 6 months ago
Wow! How to write an "A" essay lol !

AH3RD I totally agree with you and you are very opionated about this one especially. I, for one, loved this altered TV version from the theatrical series from the past just as much. I think the intro is was got me. It's amazing what you haven' seen for years and still remember quite vividly. Classic stuff, I tell ya Classic stuff'
kimsy520 Posted 15 years 8 months ago
oh yeah I definitely remember this. I used to watch it in the early morning before school
jerbojones Posted 15 years 9 months ago
Man I used to watch this show when I used to come home from kindergarden. That's is straight taking me back.
diggidy28 Posted 15 years 10 months ago
I haven't seen this intro forever, but I clearly remember it. And I know I watched this show a lot because I found myself singing along with the lyrics even though I haven't seen it since I was probably 5 or 6, whenever they re-aired it in the mid 80s I'm guessing.
Toggle Comment ThreadAH3RD Posted 15 years 11 months ago
Regardless of how many negative posts, criticisms, rants and insults of it that come out of the woodwork, Hanna-Barbera's 1975 version of Tom & Jerry shall always hold dear to me! To each his own...

I\'ve been a fan of it ever since 1979, when they first aired locally in my hometown, N\'Awlins, every Monday-Friday afternoon @ 3:30 on A.B.C. (now Fox) affilliate WVUE-TV Channel 8, on The Tom & Jerry Hour. It was a mixed bag of T&J cartoons, theatrical (1940 to 1967) and TV (1975 to 1977). This was how I first learned of these made-for-TV T&Js from H-B. The theatricals were great, but I (being a child of the 1970s) somehow grew more attatched to the 1970s version. Sometimes WVUE aired the main title sequence from The Tom & Jerry Show separately from the 48 7-minute T&J stories, sometimes they aired the end credits.

I later read in Stuart Fischer\'s book Kids\' TV: The First 25 Years that they originally aired in 1975 on The (New) Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show. I remember thinking, "Ah! So that's where they came from!" This is also how I learned of The New T&J's originally pairing with The Great Grape Ape, which I only discovered via repeats on ABC Sunday Mornings! (Yep, I missed out on the original run on ABC, and I had just come into it.)

I decided that the 1970s T&J was my sole favourite, from its first airing on WVUE to its reairing in the 1980s on WNOL-TV Channel 38 (now a W.B. affilliate) and Superstation WTBS, which, on Tom & Jerry And Friends, showed 7-minute 1975 T&J cartoons framed inbetween main and end title sequences! I also realize that a huge number of serious animation fans have and continue to liken New Tom & Jerry to New Coke, calling it a cheap imitation of the originals, and thus giving them a bad rep over the years. I don't think it's all the 1975 version of T&J so much; I think a great many 'toon fans have prided themselves on being hooked on the originals and declaring any version out of that scope as inferior.

Hence my web presence, The New Tom & Jerry Info Site @ http://www.1975tomjerry.50megs.com/ , which I launched in March 1997, to show all and sundry that there was someone out there who took interest in them and, to a degree at least, put an end to all the bad press they've been getting. Until January 2004 (so far), Boomerang from Catoon Network has done the 1975 T&J's justice by showing them periodically on Boomerang Saturdays (1976, 1977 and 197. They neglected to show them in April 2004 during the weekly Friday T&J marathons; they seem to be limited to the 1940-67 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer theatricals, Filmation's 1980-82 version (The Tom & Jerry Comedy Show) and that 1990-93 Fox revival Tom & Jerry Kids (that grey stripe between Tom's eyes was not his best feature, imho!). But CN more than made up for this with the addition of the 1975 T&Js to their rotation in May 2005.

Like I said, to each his own. Everyone here has his/her favourite version of Tom & Jerry; mine is and shall forever remain H-B's "black sheep" 1975 made-for-tv version. Just because a Tom & Jerry cartoon, be it old or new, is nonviolent does not mean it cannot be watched and enjoyed. (I mean, check out the sports-themed New T&Js! And Spike! And Hoyt Curtin's jazzy underscore!)

So, if you will, sing along!!!

Set your dial for a while!
Have a laugh, wear a smile!
It's The Tom & Jerry Show!
You'll begin with a grin
When you first tune us in
On The Tom & Jerry Show!

Introducing that world-famous cat...Tom!
And that magnificent mouse...Jerry!

(instrumental solo)

Lots of zing, lots to sing!
Everything's gonna swing!
So, get ready - here we go!
Big or small, short or tall,
You will all have a ball
On The Tom & Jerry Show!
AH3RD Posted 2 months 19 days ago
Bulletin: As of December 2017, I now host my New Tom & Jerry Information Site @ http://1975tomjerry.orgfree.com/ . Enjoy! 😉
Phantasmagoria_3D Posted 15 years 11 months ago
Wow! The last time I saw this intro was when I was about 5! They used to air this on cable a LOOOOOOONG time ago!