Comments

Comments
    199478q29 Posted 2 years 7 months ago
    This movie is a alltime classic I remember watching it in my elementry school back in the day good memories ahh & so much better then Charlie & the Choclate factory that sucked.
    pinkcupcake Posted 2 years 10 months ago
    there is no reason for the atrocious remake to even be brought up. this page is for people to reminisce about the one and only original willy wonka. with that being said, the ONLY people that would think the remake is better than the original are teens and pre-teens who don't know any better. to the person that said the new one is more for today's generation-the original willy wonka and the chocolate factory is a TIMELESS CLASSIC that transends generations, age, race ect. it is among the greatest and most beloved children's movies of all time and is in the same category as all-time classics such the wizard of oz and mary poppins! the remake is nowhere near as iconic and beloved as the original and never will be! regardless of whether it was closer to the book or not, it is just simply not in the same league as the original and will NEVER in a million years be the classic that the original is. period.
    t0w3r Posted 2 years 10 months ago
    No Trailer?
    HottieTottie Posted 3 years 2 months ago
    i hottie tottie did find this movie very boring. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory wasw so much better. Especially since the movie is more for kids of this decade.
    tdickensheets Posted 3 years 5 months ago
    They made a remake.
    LOL785 Posted 3 years 7 months ago
    That tunnel scene scarred me for life.
    purplearies76 Posted 3 years 10 months ago
    oomp loompa I doopity luv this movie...lol
    DuckMichael Posted 3 years 11 months ago
    I love the both versions, the johnny depp and the gene wolper. The best one is got to be the 70's version. Great storyline. But to the depp version is ok, just a little dark and crazy because it's by burton. The songs are dead easy to read while watching for example: Augustus Gloop (x2) the big fat greedy nicompoop, Augustus Gloop so big and infantile.
    dcraig007 Posted 4 years 2 months ago
    Incredible and timeless children´s classic. Gene Wilder is beyond funny and sometimes... little bit scary
    Enrique Salvador Posted 4 years 4 months ago
    Dis is a classic
    Felixthecat34213 Posted 4 years 5 months ago
    The remake was nothing like the book, it took a steaming dump all over the book. I can't believe Burton claimed it was closer.

Burton should stop reinventing stuff, Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice were brilliant. CATCF and Planet of the Apes just sucked.

Not only that but he took a steaming pile of dump on the original version too. Major lesson: Don't mess with classic kid films.
    pwange1337 Posted 4 years 6 months ago
    the blueberry scene used to scare me when I was little lol.
    mightybfan Posted 4 years 10 months ago
    I loved this movie,which Is always shown around,Easter,Thanksgiving,or Christmas. My favorite scene is when Willy Wonka is singing Pure Imagination.
    mightybfan Posted 4 years 10 months ago
    This is one of my favorite movies. I liked the Chocolate room scene. I loved the Pure Imagination song!
    blackvenom95 Posted 4 years 10 months ago
    Loved this movie so much when I was younger but now all I can remeber is that weird tunnel scene.Seriouly what was with that and to have Wonka say that creepy poem that still haunts me to this day.So why didn't anyone say anything afterwards in the movie?
    spyder88 Posted 4 years 11 months ago
    I agree with all who said the remake was crap.i mean really,what was the point? what was the point? what was the point? it makes me mad just thinking about it.
    benton gold Posted 4 years 11 months ago
    How annoying.
    EightiesChick Posted 5 years 15 days ago
    I could watch this movie a hundred times a day; Definentely better that the Johnny Dep version. Just some advice to the movie studios; "if something isn't broken don't fix it.
    BenJamin Posted 5 years 1 month ago
    I believe this was the first movie I ever saw... on TV rather. I loved this ever since. I do like the Tim Burton version and in that version I had the hots for Missi Pyle. But going back to the original, Gene Wilder is in my opinion the best Willy Wonka ever.
    BasilsGirl Posted 5 years 1 month ago
    I'm on a kick for this movie right now. I don't know what it is about it, but... I LOVE it!
    rapnroc Posted 5 years 1 month ago
    this was b4 my time but remains a favorite!!
    DarkPhire Posted 5 years 1 month ago
    This was the most popular movie of the 70s O_O
    Kira_no_futago Posted 5 years 3 months ago
    I prefer this version to the Depp version, and it has nothing to do with the book (and yes, I've read that too). Books and movies never quite match, and going in expecting the same thing is a mistake. Judging solely by the movies, this one is exceptional. Not to say Depp was a bad Wonka, but his version was a bit pathetic to me. It wasn't a movie I enjoyed. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory will, however, be with me for the rest of my life, and I shall never tire of it.
    AnimationLover Posted 5 years 3 months ago
    Willy Wonka Rockz.
    Galactusgirl Posted 5 years 4 months ago
    This was...tasty!
    will_mcloone1 Posted 5 years 6 months ago
    This version is just as dark, if not darker than the original. Gene Wilder oozed sarcasm. The tunnel scene was trippy and terrifying. The parents were made much more pathetic in this version. I personally thought the kids were much more annoying here, which (for reasons of discussion) is a good thing. The Slugworth character was creepy. The original "Grandpa Joe" was a much more memorable character in this movie. Lastly, I personally thought the songs were better too.
    marysouth67 Posted 5 years 10 months ago
    I liked this version so much more than the newer version. I don't even know why they had to mess with a good thing. This movie is a classic children's movie. Right up there with the Wizard of OZ. They just don't make em like they used to.
    scooby789456 Posted 6 years 12 days ago
    KEVIN

Kids TV Kid Posted 6 years 1 month ago

This movie is superior to Mr.Burton's remake.

"Charlie & The Chocolate Factory"has no charm,

no laughs,no music,no genuine fantasy and no beloved

characters at all!

pokinsmot Posted 6 years 1 month ago
    one of my favorite movies as a kid and to this day. SO much better than the new one, even though i like Johnny Depp. but, who in the HELL puts a scene in a kids movie where the chop off a chicken's head?! scared the living crap out of me!
    boolovesyou Posted 6 years 1 month ago
    I like the new Willy Wonka in the Chocolate Factory.
    Good morning sunshine the Earth says "Hello".
    milton Posted 6 years 1 month ago
    One of my favorite movies. The Songs, the kids and, of corse the candy. Ompa Loompa Loompa de de, if you are wise you'll listen to me. Watch the movie with your kids.
    raizdnda90s Posted 6 years 1 month ago
    I don't remember the skinned knee- we don't ahve that on ours anyhow...I do believe it was taped off tv (that our aunt gave us)
    ~~Funny stuff with this movie too
    *when the candyman sings his song, and he lets the little kids in the back of the candy shop, the hits the litle girl in the lowr left hand side of the screen with the counter as he pulls it up to let kids through.
    *in the end of this movie when they go up in the wonka vator, it was supposed to be where the nd movie forWily Wonka was to take place (the 2nd book = the 2nd movie) but after the author saw the movie they made, he refused to sell the copyrights to the company to make the 2nd movie out of it, beucase it changed so many things from the books- and the author took that to his grave. Thats why the 2 movies (the one with Johnny Depp now compared to the 70's one is so different)
    *In the scene in the factroy, before the Augustus gets stuck in the river, and Willy is eating the yellow up- the cup was actually made of wax, he was spitting out the wax between takes while singing that song at the end.

Just some small facs :)
    Videogamenerd Posted 6 years 3 months ago
    This movie was a pretty good classic
    Arminius Posted 6 years 4 months ago
    I Remember the skinned knee sceneas well Elron
    barneyiscool Posted 6 years 4 months ago
    So cool movie
    wutchatalknboutwilis Posted 6 years 6 months ago
    Aswome movie, Willy Wonka is one of the most Evil & Twisted people in movies.
    Charlie cheated though, everyone else lost and vanished after taking ilegle dru.... i mean candy from the strange (and i do mean strange) mans factory.
    hillarious not to mention gene wilder looks insain in the movie
    elron Posted 6 years 6 months ago
    Is it just me, or was there a scene in the original movie that takes place right after Charlie finds the golden ticket that has been edited out of newer VHS versions of this movie. (I'm not sure if this applies to other formats about other formats) A man tells Charlie to "Run home as fast as you can," which he does and along the way he trips and skins his knee. Charlie then curls up in a sitting fetal rocking motions and winces in pain at the wound. (Looked very real and convincing, like it really happened and the film man left the camera rolling) Family Guy does a great parody of this scene in episode "" after vomiting up the winning scroll. Nobody that I ask about it seems to remember. It seems like I saw the "skinned knee" version of the movie aired on regular cable television (maybe Nickelodeon) sometime in the early or mid nineties. Not to go off on another tangent, but I swear I've saw Cheech and Chong's "Up in Smoke" also aired on Nickelodeon.
    AtariMan76 Posted 6 years 6 months ago
    Oompa Loompa Doompa Dee Doo I've got another puzzle for you Oompa Loompa Doompa Daw Dee if you are wise you'll listen to me.

I know the words to every Oompa Loompa song in this movie.
    Narf Posted 6 years 6 months ago
    This was my favorite movie when I was little (this, and Jumanji). I still love it. So much better than the newer version. Johnny Depp just doesn't work as Willy Wonka. It's just not right.
    HappyWifey Posted 6 years 10 months ago
    I love this movie so much! I named my cat Veruca after the spoiled little girl,she is so much like her.
    WalkingTVGuide Posted 6 years 10 months ago
    This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Gene Wilder cracks me up. everlastinggoberstopers for everyone.
    kathrynshutt Posted 6 years 11 months ago
    i had a crush on charlie when i was 11 years old i thought he was quite cute.
    aidan Posted 6 years 11 months ago
    fantastic
    Titi345 Posted 6 years 11 months ago
    I love this one the best I always wanted to go on the tour of the candy factory
    sailor_moon_girl Posted 7 years 10 days ago
    yes tim killed it
    davidyck Posted 7 years 1 month ago
    i saw this movie back when i was in grade 2. it scared me really bad. now when i watch it it just seems weird.
    rnorred06 Posted 7 years 2 months ago
    The first time I saw this movie was back in second grade & I am almost 21 now! I liked this movie a lot.
    funkmasta Posted 7 years 2 months ago
    i like this show the newest 1 wuz nuthin like it,this iz defintly the best 1
    sailor_moon_girl Posted 7 years 3 months ago
    i love johnny but gene was better
    verno Posted 7 years 4 months ago
    lol he was high thats one 2 tell people i was always scared of that guy was he a perveted dude or somthing
    mcsk8r Posted 7 years 4 months ago
    did u know a couple of months after the movie was made Gene Wilder admitted in some of the parts (like the tunnel part) Gene Wilder was High on pot TRUE he admitted it on T.V.
    blueluigi Posted 7 years 4 months ago
    He's cooler than you are.
    LehveTheGryphon Posted 7 years 6 months ago
    Ah, I grew up with this movie. I remember watching it in my grandparent's RV since they had TVs hooked up inside it..sitting on the bed, watching the movie. I also watched it before we went and saw the new one, and then I was in this "OH CRAP DEPP'S WONKA IS MY IDOL" phase for a YEAR...heheh.
    Vercalos Posted 7 years 9 months ago
    Personally, I prefer this version over the Depp version.. Particularly Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka. And the music in the Depp version tended to be annoying. The newer one is more faithful to the novel, I must admit.
    datura Posted 7 years 11 months ago
    you LOSE! Good DAY Sir!
    freakazoid Posted 7 years 11 months ago
    Scrumdidilyumptious!
    SHNAG Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    Wonka in the orginal movie was pretty evil, he didn't really seem at all alarmed that children could possibly die for what happened to them.
    Gundam_Warrior Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    The new Mall-Goth version sucked deal with it. This crappy remake prooves yet again this generation sucks for film-making. It's why I love this site so much.
    cold caller Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    i went to the bordwalk last year ( in usa ) and played a game that i won and woever wins gets a box of candy, then i noticed that there was wonka bars there so i chosed it
    martincommrad Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    I found out something very interesting when doing research on the original book. After dumb-as-a-cow Violet chewed the 3-couse-meal gum, the Umpa Lumpa’s mentioned a woman named Ms. Bigalow in their nursery rhyme. This woman chewed gum so much that she actually chewed her boyfriend’s nose (completely off, probably). She eventually, as in the 2005 rendition hinted, bit her own tongue in two. The things you can find about this story that weren’t in any of the movies is almost endless.
    Gundam_Warrior Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    But the new crappy film is not loyal to the book:

Grandpa Joe did not work at the chocolate factory.

The Oompa Loompas were entire tribes of men, women, and children. One could argue that all the Oompa Loompas look like Deep Roy, though the pictures in the book indicate otherwise. They also dressed like savages.

Wonka's past is never known, especially about his father. For all we knew, Wonka was hatched on Pluto. *shrug* Without this father subplot, Wonka was not at all intimidated by the concept of parents.

The ending changed quite a bit. Charlie was offered the factory right after Mike's demise, and he accepted. They then crashed into the house with the elevator.

And speaking of the ending, the house is not moved to the factory. In fact, the book ends with them shoving the grandparents (moaning and complaining) into the elevator. This sets up the sequel where they are launched into orbit.

Wonka's announcement of the golden tickets was delivered by newspaper and not by posters (which wouldn't have reached America, England, and Germany, anyway).

You don't know what country Augustus Gloop is from. It was listed as Germany in both movies.

The book had Professor Foulbody and his amazing machine that could detect a golden ticket, but it detected a gold filling in the back tooth of a duchess and made a grab for it, which caused the crowd to descend upon it and smash it.

Mr. Salt's worker announced that she found the ticket rather than try to hide it.

Violet's competitive nature was not so extreme in the book. In the book, she was obsessed with gum in general. So, no karate champion.

Violet was more of a jerk in the book, because she enjoyed sticking gum on elevator buttons to inconvenience the next person who came on.

Mike Teavee is a TV watcher and really likes gangster movies. No video games (but then, this is a new phenomenon that Dahl didn't have).

The fake ticket that was found was actually reported after Augustus and not Mike.

Wonka wore green pants, a plum jacket, gray gloves, and a top hat. He also sported a goatee.

Wonka's personality is drastically changed. In the book, he is a strong businessman. He very rarely was unsure and dismissed most doubts. He had a few mean moments with the parents or kids, which would not have made sense with Johnny Depp's portrayal.

Wonka had the guests politely hang their coats and hats.

Mrs. Salt teaches geography and not Mr. Teavee.

Wonka and the Oompa Loompa actually laughed at Mrs. Gloop when Augustus was sucked up the pipe.

To show how destitute the family was, the book had Charlie conserving his energy. He left for school early so he could walk slowly and sat perfectly still during recess.

There was no fireworks room in the book.

There were no pink sheep in the book (but then, this was an inside joke with Burton).

The Oompa Loompa songs were abridged quite a bit.

In the end, Augustus Gloop was actually thin due to the ordeal in the pipe and fudge room.

Some things in the book that were not in the movie: Wonka's song in the candy boat; square candies that look round; poached eggs joke; Has Beans; Fizzy lifting drink; snozzberries; Vitamin Wonka; Mike's basketball and piano potential; and the shoving of the bed into the elevator.

There was not a one-guardian limit, so the other children had both parents there (how could I forget that one?).

Plus authors hate thier movie versions all the time Steven King hated the Shining and Peter Beachley went into first fights with Spielberg over Jaws. As far as I'm concerned Dahl's family is full of BS and counting the paycheck from Warner Bros.

And Burton's crappy film is a remake. The Thing and The Fly were based on previous wrtten stories but however those films we're still considered remakes. Saddly Depp & Burton's mallgoth crapfest joins the stack of crappy and repetive remakes including The Amityville Horror, The Fog, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Rollerball, Planet of the Apes (thanks again Burton) and many more still coming.
    M4LKAL Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    Interesting fact here, the author of the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Ronald Dahl) hated the 1971 movie. He said that it was nothing like his vision of what the book was and the world of Wonka. He also disliked the way Wonka was portrayed as some sort of father figure to Charlieand the soft attitude it took towards the subject matter. In fact Dahl disliked the movie so much that he refused to allow the rights for the book to be released ever again.

His wife and children have said many times that he was very upset by the 1971 version and that is one reason they fouhgt very hard to not release the rights for the new version. They finally released the rights when they found out that Burton was making it and when Burton agreed to let them have alot of say in the making of the film (somthing Dahl never had with the 1971 version).

If the mans own family says that the new version represents his vision better then the 1971 version I think that speaks tons as to what the true story should be. It also speaks as to whether or not someone would like the book.

The new film is not a remake of the 1971 film it is the film version of the book which the first one apperantly never was.
    martincommrad Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    When I first heard about the potential release of “Charlie & the Chocolate Factory,” I didn't really care to see it ether. When I did, I was quite impressed—with some things. My biggest disappointment was the “character swap” between Veruca and Violet. Violet seemed more evil than Veruca. If it was possible, I would have liked to see Ms. Beauregarde replaced with a dried-up football hero named Mr. Beauregarde and his competitive jock son--Red. That would be more Burton’s avenue.
    dramagirl1990 Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    I agree with TV1985. Both versions are great.
    TV1985 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
    I like both versions of Willy Wonka. This old classic version and Tim Burton's version that came to theaters this year.
    Gundam_Warrior Posted 8 years 7 months ago
    Who can take an old book, turn it into crap?
    Make wonka a homo and the storyline wack?

The Burton man can, the Burton man can.

Who will cast Johnny, to play Wonka as gay,
    the Burton man can, 'cause the Burton man likes it that way!

Gundam_Warrior Posted 8 years 7 months ago
    The new one was about as fun as cancer.
    M4LKAL Posted 8 years 7 months ago
    I love this movie. It was a very good movie but I never liked how Charlie did something bad and was able to get away with it. I also agree with jackhammerer that the new one was better.
    mrs.link Posted 8 years 9 months ago
    another thing id like to say...i just watched the trailer, and it was bad. they revealed to much of the movie in it.
    mrs.link Posted 8 years 9 months ago
    did any one else almost drool a mountain at the beginning when they were showing the credits, and all that chocolate was behind them? OMG i wanna eat all of it!!!!Hehe yeah this was an awesome movie, and me and my brother sometimes break out in song singing the oompa loompa songs. Or he quotes willy wonka, like when they are going throught that trippy tunnel. He used to actually get scared at that part!!
    NickMania Posted 8 years 9 months ago
    I loved this movie I remember wanting to eat some of the stuff that they showed in this movie!
    Plecostomus Posted 8 years 9 months ago
    This movie was awesome! I liked how all the bad children met with unfortunate events. I was, however, disappointed to hear all the children survived. I was kind of hoping the fat kid would meet some nasty chocolate filter and that plum-ish eating girl would burst (off screen of course, I was just a youg'un at the time). Oh well. Still a fascinating adaptation.
    Gundam_Warrior Posted 8 years 9 months ago
    The new craptasic version isn't remotely close to the book ethier.

For every moment the older version isn't true to the book the craptasic one does an even worse job

For example:
    Grandpa Joe did not work at the chocolate factory.

Wonka's past is never known, especially about his father.

Violet's competitive nature was not so extreme in the book.

And these are just some of things that make the claim of Burton's crap fest being more "true to the book" BS.
    Daikun Posted 8 years 9 months ago
    I liked both versions of the movie, but the original was way better, despite it not being as close to the original book as the remake. I just felt that the changes were necessary, if anything. For example, which would you rather have: A squirrel who cracks nuts all day, or a goose that lays freaking huge golden chocolate eggs? I think the answer is obvious...

Also, this movie had more of Slugworth. Sure, he wasn't in either version for very long, but his character is so creepy it's awesome. Slugworth = Win
    Mia Wallace Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple. I guess the new johnny depp movie just wasn't giving 105%
    Trashley Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    This movie is so much better than the new Johnny Depp version. I mean come on. It's not even close.
    Gundam_Warrior Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    Gene Wilder is a God. Depp is a hack and an idiot in the new film I feel real sorry for the kids today.
    MatthewSlade Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    Now this is a movie!!
    Rabid Turtle Posted 8 years 11 months ago
    I love Gene Wilder he was great for the role of Willy Wonka. This movie is much better than the new one.
    geoffreydean Posted 9 years 9 hours ago
    Grandpa Joe is evil in this movie. End of story.