Comments

Comments
    funguy10 Posted 4 months 23 days ago
    They started a campaign now to bring this show back as an online series. LeVar Burton set up a Kickstarter Fund to begin producing the show again and they reached the $1 million about halfway through the first day! There is also a smartphone app based on the series.
    scottr. Posted 1 year 3 months ago
    This show brings back so many Feelings. I remember watching it. The intro gives me flashbacks of my childhood. I had one a moment ago and it felt so good.
    Tanya1976 Posted 3 years 7 months ago
    I am 34 and I spent many of my days watching this show and reading the recommended books. I adored it.
    tmnt11 Posted 3 years 8 months ago
    LeVar Burton made the show and the stories were awsome.
    kingleoice Posted 3 years 10 months ago
    I sorta remember.

Queenof82 Posted 4 years 7 months ago
    Talk about an original & great theme song.I remember in Kindergarten always getting SO happy when the teacher would play this show.I love it still & still sing it when my kids watch it.
    Jt62786 Posted 5 years 15 days ago
    I watched thsi eveyr day when i came hoem from school :P
    mightybfan Posted 5 years 1 month ago
    My favorite is the Teamwork episode,I love the teamwork song!
    Trueblue94 Posted 5 years 4 months ago
    Ah yes. I loved this show. I loved the classic intro and I remember being upset when they changed it.
    supersonic Posted 5 years 5 months ago
    reading rainbow 1983-1989 everything you know is wrong!
    EricEbac24 Posted 5 years 6 months ago
    NeverMind785--

I'll clear this up for you: what I meant was that Rocky Mountain PBS and KBDI (the PBS network for Colorado) announced in a joint statement they released in November of 2007 that they would cease showing re-runs of "Reading Rainbow" during the daytime (mornings OR afternoons) after August 29, 2008, and would only show them from 2-3am, when hardly anyone watches TV.
    NeverMind785 Posted 5 years 8 months ago
    This comes on every Sunday on PBS, what do you mean Eric?
    EricEbac24 Posted 5 years 8 months ago
    I watched this in the school library quite a bit, myself when I was in the third, fourth, and fifth grade. I also remember watching it on a fairly regular basis at home until PBS stopped showing new episodes in 2006 and then ceased showing re-runs in August of 2008. Now the only place where you can find it is on the N (Nickelodeon's sister network).
    dahm322 Posted 5 years 9 months ago
    i used to watch this shit when they played it at school for us when we went to the library
    funguy10 Posted 5 years 9 months ago
    This has been on WVIZ at 1:30 in the afternoon for as long as I can remember.
    lhore Posted 5 years 10 months ago
    This show made me love going to the library as a child. One of the best PBS shows...
    MeLsAbEeBgIrL Posted 6 years 2 months ago
    I get teary- eyed just hearing the theme song! Must have been the reason I learned to love reading!.... Just seeing that animated butterfly with the rainbow really makes me nostalgic! :)
    EZR09 Posted 6 years 6 months ago
    I watched Reading Rainbow at elementary school.
    Blackbelt1 Posted 6 years 7 months ago
    The show has been brought back.
    wickywild Posted 6 years 9 months ago
    THANKS FOR THE LITERACY LeVAR!!! :)
    bigaint2 Posted 6 years 9 months ago
    ...Hated this show. :\ They always showed this to us when they got tired of teaching, in Elementary school, it was awful.
    serenityrain Posted 6 years 9 months ago
    take a look it's in a book reading rain bow...
    i can go any where
    i can be any thing
    wow i so wish this was still on the air i would sing the theme song all the time....
    PirateNinja6 Posted 6 years 10 months ago
    Man this was awesome!
    Blueroc85 Posted 6 years 10 months ago
    They used to show us this in grade school all the time. I think it was also on PBS. I enjoyed this as it was a nice break from classwork! I can't belive it went off the air in 2005! I thought it was only on in the 80's! Who knew?
    dalmatianlover Posted 7 years 1 month ago
    Hell, yeah! I remember this show! I remember watching it on PBS on days when I stayed home from school sick. 1983-2005? I didn't know it ran for that long!
    Jaybird680 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
    They made a dumb new intro for this show :(
    Ballala Posted 7 years 2 months ago

hey!! i remember this!! take a look, it's in a book, so many memories :)
    RetroToon Posted 7 years 2 months ago
    After seeing a topic on this in the forums I tried to find it on here, and now that intro is flooding back to me! What memories...
    miyeon Posted 7 years 5 months ago
    Is there anyway that i can download this thing??? So that i can play it even when im offline?

i Love it!
    Reptile Posted 7 years 6 months ago
    We had to watch this thing all the time at school while we wer in the library at Morrison school!
    crazycookies Posted 7 years 7 months ago
    lol, lemar was caught for possession of illegal drugs a while back. Ohh lemar you make us laugh with your silly drug problems.
    GreenLion1980 Posted 7 years 11 months ago
    the use to show this in grade school all the time, probably to keep us busy so teacher could have break time, but i liked it anyway
    blueluigi Posted 8 years 4 days ago
    I can't belive nobody has made any posts in a long time. Come on people, don't act like you never watched this show when you were a little kid.
    blueluigi Posted 8 years 26 days ago
    Man I am sooooooo glad that the old Reading Rainbow intro is on there. I didn't think I would see that intro again after finding out that there's a different intro.
    sailor_moon_girl Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    i loved this show when i was a wee girl
    TVisMyLIFE Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    I recently caught Reading Rainbow on television and they had changed the opening song. That version is not as good as they version here on RetroJunk.

UncleJohn Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    Most buetiful intro I ever heard on PBS.

As a kid I watched this all the time. Infact if I had never seen this show, I probly would never have watched TNG. I was his biggest fan back in da day.
    jaklumen Posted 8 years 3 months ago
    I remember the Star Trek: TNG episode, but Kevin Clash's appearance was a little more memorable for me. It was before he began working on Sesame Street as Elmo, so it featured all of his own puppets, which were featured on Captain Kangaroo at about that time. It was rather amusing to see a puppet he had created of LeVar-- he was behind a backdrop with the puppet claiming that he was the real LeVar Burton.

As with all shows continuing to air in reruns on PBS, my daughter is coming to know the shows on the station I loved as a kid.
    rksexy2finger Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    When it comes to retarded show this is definetly one of them. I liked it when I was 2 but I have seen a few classroom videos when I was in 2nd grade i'm in 9th now. There are some preschool shows that i'll never out grow those ones are the old Blue's Clues, Rupert the Bear, Gullah Gullah Island and The Busy World of Richard Scarry this isn't one of them.
    michiganer Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    This is in my top 5 shows of the 80's! I love Reading Rainbow! Every time I hear the opening theme, its like I am in a trance...Awesome show!
    NickFisher Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    my fav was the Star trek episode....didnt have any books....but it ROCKED!!!
    NickFisher Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    I watched it when i was little because it had Jordy Laforge
    Moonxtal Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    I remember the theme song, but didn't care for the show. i guess because it wasn't fast paced enough for me :P But the song was one of my favorite themes for a show.
    Nano512 Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    I loved this show. I remember the one where they were doing that "Teamwork" video, and the one where the music director was showing us his Fairlight synthesizer.
    S2K Posted 8 years 7 months ago
    This show actually made me WANT to read a book....sometimes. Of course, when I'd actually start reading, my attention would naturally drift, but the show did serve its purpose. Great reminder. Definitely a show I'd want my kids to watch.
    pancakesaregood Posted 8 years 7 months ago
    "You don't have to take my word for it" ....

mr3urious Posted 8 years 8 months ago
    I remember when he was in China (Or was it Chinatown?), and at the end he put on a dragon costume and said "I'll see you next time!" in Chinese. There was another episode that featured a man demonstrating what he can do with his synthesizer. The latter was one of my favorite episodes.
    Jomero Posted 8 years 9 months ago
    Loved this show!

Though, one time I did have a nightmare where I was climbing a 1,000 foot high-dive and LeVar Burton was above me. He then said his classic line, "See ya next time!" and kicked me off the very high ladder. :-D

Still, I miss this show.
    kimsy520 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
    I loved the theme song back in the day...very catchy :)
    browneyedgirl Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    My sister, my boyfriend, and I (all of who gre up watching Reading Rainbow in school) watched this the other day and were shocked that LeVar was still on it and hadn't seemed to age too much.
    Ri-chan, Jedi Knight Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    This was a great educational show for young people. I used to watch it a lot. The changing of the opening theme was a discredit to the show.
    SSJ Jup81 Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    I loved this! I watched way more than I ever did Sesame Street. I would always want to read the books that were premiered on the show.

I liked this intro too, compared to that icky 90s version.
    she-ra21 Posted 8 years 10 months ago

My favorite episode was this one where Levar was in this hat shop and each hat transported him to a different location and activity. (Jockey's helmet put him a horse race, etc.)
    wimbley1986 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
    well i guess it wasnt a pirate, more like a christopher columbus-esque explorer.. still creeped me out at age 5 for some reason.
    wimbley1986 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
    god that intro was really trippy. i used to be scared of that pirate the little boy turns into that does the bow. it's really cool how everything just blends from reality to a cartoon though, really trippy. i love it.
    mrs.link Posted 9 years 1 day ago
    but damn, that intro is trippy. not a good idea to smoke and then watch this lol :)
    mrs.link Posted 9 years 1 day ago
    i rememebr watching tthese, im not sure if it was at achool though. i didint enjoy it too much i have to say.
    Iloveth80sfan911 Posted 9 years 13 days ago
    I remember wanting to be on this show sooooooooooo freakin' much! LOL!
    NickMania Posted 9 years 14 days ago
    Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way Big Thanks to Whoever Uploaded this Intro. because it is The Original Intro. The Intro that they play on KLRN or PBS These Days Sucks Ass. The Original Intro is Golden!
    Mystie Posted 9 years 14 days ago
    AHHHHHHHHH!!! I loved this show. Mainly the intro. OMG thanks so much whoever uploaded this one!! YAY!!
    Hjfriends10 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
    I remember watching this show in elementary school. In the classroom, and at home. i loved it