Comments

Comments
    ace61502 Posted 3 years 5 months ago
    I loved this show! I always feel like I'm the only one that remembers it, but I'd have been happy if Voltron and Thundercats (another one no one ever seems to remember) were the only 2 shows on TV when I was a kid.
    LionForce29 Posted 4 years 4 months ago
    Loved this show. I had the toys and still have a cool machanical Black Lion that moves. If anyone has the IPhone download the Voltron game app. I did this yesterday and it is awesome. Cut aways from the show, real voices and yes you can even be Sven! LOL!! It has been fun to play so far. One of the better Iphone apps!! Anywho Go Voltron Force!!
    mightybfan Posted 4 years 10 months ago
    I loved this show.I have the dvds of the Blue and Black lion.I need the Red,Yellow and Orange Lions,I also need the sea,air and Land teams,plus Fleet of Doom Movie.
    Kaflaful Posted 5 years 1 month ago
    I'm sorry to disappoint you luckbrand but Power Rangers only started in 1993. The Power Rangers were in fact based on the Japanese show Super Sentai. Specifically the 16th installment known as Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. Voltron was on air well before the Power Rangers.
    bigg3469 Posted 5 years 4 months ago
    There was only 2 versions of Votron that aired in the US. The third version with the "gold plated" robots sporting a letter of the Greek alphabet never aired but what's ironic is that they sold the toys of the "lost"
    luckbrand Posted 5 years 11 months ago
    to all the people (at least i saw one) that think Power Rangers was a rip off of this show, actually first, both are from Japan, second, Power Rangers has been around since the early 70's so just thought i would inform you, i know i sound like a nerd but i used to watch Power Rangers as a kid and recently i searched for some clips on YouTube, then found that out. anyway i never saw Voltron but it looks awesome.....
    tinabaeba Posted 6 years 1 month ago
    It made me so mad when power rangers bit off the whole idea of this show!!
    mohanicus Posted 6 years 4 months ago
    the dude that did the intro is the guy that does optimus prime.
    Jax328 Posted 6 years 10 months ago
    "Form feet and legs...form arms and body (torso)...and I'LL form...THE HEAD!"
    newsome3450 Posted 6 years 11 months ago
    the 3rd was ok. it was "gladiator" voltron. with the 3 smaller bots foring the one big bot.
    negate3 Posted 7 years 15 hours ago
    Ah yes, the glory days of 80's TV. I saw this when I was 4 and didnt remember what it was till It came back in the 90's. Only character I remembered was Pidge. Great memories
    scarhold Posted 7 years 11 days ago
    Voltron,Defender of the Universe was the most popular Japanese animation back in the mid 80's and I can say that half of the world knew voltron by the end of 80's. I would like to request the admin of this site to allow us to download these intros,because these represent our past and memories.Help us treasure these memories forever.Thank you
    Destroyah Posted 7 years 1 month ago
    In what series this this take place? Because the Go-Lion series ended with King Zarkon going into exile and Prince Lotor after assuming the throne of Planet Doom. being tossed into the Pit Of Skulls being horribly dis-figured.

I don't remember this happening at all. Was this an actual cartoon or just a trailer for a cartoon that never happened?
    rattoroel Posted 7 years 1 month ago
    Oh, that absolutely happened. The two Voltrons united against Lotar and the Drules. It was a pretty big event, probably 1986 or 87
    Skeletor Posted 7 years 3 months ago
    NO WAY! I've never seen that 3rd intro! Both Voltrons Teaming up??!! Princes Alura kidnapped??!! Viceroy Throck, the big Kahuna (sp?) of the Drule Empire getting involved??!! When did this happen?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sgt.scorpious Posted 7 years 6 months ago
    woooaa man this is definitley 1 of the many retro 80 cartoons ive never heard of i mean wow man wow.....if u wanna watch some episodes of this go to http://www.youtube.com and look for superomegaprime he has some of em uploaded
    adog3001 Posted 7 years 6 months ago
    Classic...loved to watch the re-runs
    EightiesCrazy Posted 7 years 6 months ago
    I had no idea that Optimus narrated Voltron. On a side note is it true that the Batman looking villan from Battle of the Planets was really a woman? I think I recall him/her being unmasked in the final episode.
    LostInTime Posted 7 years 11 months ago
    Really? That's pretty interesting if true about the DVD's. In the late 90's Trimark bought all the rights to every episode, announced they would release both series (2-D & 3-D) in their entireties and of course, they later revised their statement to say that they would release "some" of the episodes, ruining everyone's hopes. On top of that they were asking a king's ransom for anyone interested in buying the rights off them which basically killed all remaining hope for the forseeable future.
    jaklumen Posted 8 years 5 days ago
    I'm a bit disappointed that the intro for the other version of Voltron (vehicles instead of lions) isn't featured here yet.

I think this is one of the very few cartoons with an early anime style (besides Speed Racer-- this particular style was used through the late '70s and early '80s) that people widely liked. It's too bad that the kid animes that are produced now (and comprise much of the FoxBox) don't quite have the same quality of storylines. Aimed at a younger audience, I suppose.
    flash3780 Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    I always felt like the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers were pretty much a rip-off of Voltron.
    Athena9188 Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    I always thought that the leader was waisting valuable time when he said "and i will form the head."
    GungHo Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    How fitting is it to have the King of Kings "Optimus Prime" introduce Voltron at the beginning...and to have everyones favourite Decepticon,a pre pubescent Soundwave say Voltron defender of the universe...what a combo..
    Rogue73 Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    David Lambert (good man) from tvshowsondvd.com had this to report 2/15/2006.

Voltron: Defender of the Universe - No Date Yet Due To Legal Issues.

I just got an e-mail a short time ago from "Jeremy from VOLTRON". It wasn't addressed to me personally, but rather greeting the recipients by saying "Hello Space Explorers" and noting that "If you’re receiving this message from Galaxy Garrison it's because you've signed up to be a member of www.voltron.com." So this is a mass-mailing that WEP (World Events), the studio behind the Voltron cartoons, is sending out.

First and foremost of interest is a mention near the bottom about Voltron's DVD status. Here's the exact quote:

VOLTRON ON DVD - WHEN?

I know I know. I wish I could tell you things have been resolved on the legal front but they haven’t. Just know we hope to have an announcement soon and you all will be the first to know...be patient...stay on target...stay on target...

The words "legal front" indicate a litigious situation which we haven't been made aware of before here at TVShowsOnDVD. As we mentioned in our most recent news update last Fall, WEP had not responded to our requests for information about Voltron's DVD status for quite a long time, and quite frankly we've simply stopped calling or e-mailing them to ask. And that was painful for me to do, because me and my 8-year-old son are among the biggest Voltron fans you'll ever meet! Frankly, the folks at WEP probably just got sick of me calling them all the time! :)

Yet I still check the Voltron website more-or-less daily for updates (that site is about to get a makeover really soon, the e-mail notes), and as you can see I'm on their mailing list for this kind of information (plus other info such as Toynami's new Voltron Lion Force toys). I wish we had more info to give you all than just this, though! Hopefully someone there at WEP will read this, and drop me a line with more details. Until and unless that happens, or if someone in-the-know shoots us a note and tips us off to other public information, we have no idea frankly what this legal matter is that's keeping Voltron DVDs off of store shelves in the United States! In the meantime, the entire run of the show is in the process of being released in Australia (Region 4), confusing Americans as to why the situation is different there.

In the meantime, WEP is direct-selling a limited-edition DVD release of a 70-minute animated feature from 1989 called Vytor: The Starfire Champion, and is looking into DVD releases of their other animated television series from the late '80s such as Saber Rider and Denver the Last Dinosaur. Stay tuned and we'll keep you informed about what's going on with these.
    Rogue73 Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    Let's go Voltron Force. Great show. David Lambert (good man) from tvshowsondvd.com had this to say back in Sept. of 2005:

It's been more than a year since we reported the very happy-sounding news - direct from World Events Productions ("WEP";) - that a deal to bring all forms of Voltron to DVD was about to be signed. In their own words from August 2004, "We really think it will be within the next 30 days." Well, it's been a year and thirty days now, and no word. Fans are left wondering what happened.

At the end of our story last year, we promised you that we would "keep an eye on World Events' website for you, and keep talking to them, and we'll be sure to fill you in on all the details once this gets announced." We have kept our promise: not a day has gone by when we did not check their website. Not a quarter has gone by without us attempting to get WEP back on the phone or to e-mail them (all to no response). And we had nothing to fill you in with, because there was no announcement. But we know a bit about what's going on, thanks to the ever-present industry grapevine. We've decided that the time is right to share what little we know - or think we know, anyway - with our readers.

Multiple industry sources told TVShowsOnDVD last year that the "deal" was supposed to be with the winner of a fierce bidding war, competed on by multiple companies that included Transformers-releasing Rhino and also Anchor Bay, who released a U.K. Voltron DVD in Sept. 2004 (which now appears to be out of print). From what we were told at the time, the winner was not either of them, but instead was Houston-based anime specialist ADVFilms. That didn't matter, though, because apparently the "imminent" deal was never completely signed. When we casually asked about it during a call in mid-December about other releases, ADVFilms told us that they did NOT have Voltron.

Fans who bookmarked WEP's "DVD News" web page have noticed that it has remained unchanged in over a year. What fans may NOT have realized is that the page in question is no longer linked to from the VoltronForce.com website! If you go to that site's News & Events page, and scroll down to the bottom half that starts by saying "Well, it's been a while since we've been able to update the news section...", then you'll note that the vertical boxes that link to various news categories no longer have a "DVD" choice. It now goes straight from "Toys" to "New Series" to "Comic Books", etc. That page originally had "DVD" among the first three news categories; WEP obviously removed this since then; in all likelihood the change was made because something changed about a DVD release, which was no longer "any day now".

So what did happen? Well, at first, a new Voltron series was going to happen...in 2005. As the year is three-quarters of the way over, and we've all noticed that no such new show has been announced, we can only assume here that the new program got delayed or fell through somehow. Or else got "upgraded".

In late July, 2005, a story was widely circulated that Voltron was headed to the big screen! The Hollywood Reporter was the origin of that story, stating that Mark Gordon Productions (L.A.X., Saving Private Ryan, The Day After Tomorrow) was teaming up with WEP to produce the big-budget movie that will focus on the pilots who journey to Arus to learn to operate the ships which combine into the enormous robot. The Internet Movie DataBase (IMDB) has a listing for that feature film, showing it as a planned release for 2008.

It looks like the DVDs for Voltron had been targeted as a tie-in to the property's re-birth as a new series (the same sort of "marketing tie-in" plan that kept Bewitched season set DVDs off the market until the new Nicole Kidman film hit theaters this past Summer). Now that the wait for a new Voltron program in 2005 has turned into a wait for a new film in 2008, will desperate fans have to wait until then to get Lion Force DVDs in North America? We don't know, frankly, and by our deadline we had not received a response from WEP to our request for a statement. This has characterized the general lack of a reply we've had for the past twelve months, whenever we've asked WEP to clarify the situation.

It seems that the only fans of Voltron in the world who can enjoy a DVD release right now is in Australia, where the entire Lion Force series is available (and four of the five collections are getting a mark-down next month, having been on the market for a while now). Australia also has a Vehicle Force DVD set already out, and a second one coming out in about five weeks. These discs aren't for use in North America, though: the discs aren't compatible with Region 1 DVD players, and the video is in "PAL" format rather than North American "NTSC" television format. That means you would need a special player that can convert both, which isn't something the average American has in their living rooms.

Ironically, while Voltron fans here wait impatiently for this classic cartoon series to come to stores, there is artwork on one page of WEP's website that looks ready-to-use as DVD cover art for both Lion Force Voltron and the late-'90s CGI-animation show Voltron: The Third Dimension (both reproduced below). We don't know if this art was created for that purpose, but fans who see that page note that it's the correct shape for a DVD box front, and get excited and write in to us thinking that this must mean a release is just around the corner. We have no knowledge of that, and we don't think it actually means anything. As far as we know, plans are postponed indefinately for all Voltron DVDs. It will be up to WEP to tell us otherwise, and so far they haven't been talking. Here at TVShowsOnDVD, this animated series from the '80s has gottem more votes from fans wanting a release than such evergreen classic TV shows as St. Elsewhere, Gomer Pyle and The Love Boat. It's highly popular, and there's no need to wait until 2008 for a new film to tie in a DVD release with.
    sewage Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    Thanks rebornterra!!
    They played this show sometimes in the 90's too. This always reminded me of G-Force. Such a cool show!
    rebornterra Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    got something for you guys i uploaded the japanese intro for voltron enjoy
    CowgirlEdLuvsBigMetalCats Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    I'm assuming that by Red Lion Leader you mean Keith, who flew Black Lion... Lance flew Red. Hunk flew Yellow, Pidge flew Green, and Allura and Sven both flew Blue. And like rebornterra says, Sven did not die at ANY point in the Voltron (i.e. American, WEP version) series; however, in Go-Lion (the Japanese, Toei Animation version), the first guy we see as Sven in our version did get killed. Later on, the guy we see come back as Sven is actually the *brother* of the first guy from the Japanese version. In other words, to clarify... In Go-Lion, Sven-version-1 gets killed. Later on, his brother, Sven-version-2, shows up seeking vengeance for his bro's death. WEP just changed it around so that both bros were the same guy, who was just MIA on Doom for all that time unbeknownst to anyone. As for the DVD's... the word is still "soon". The cartoon is MIA... probably on Doom ;) And... Call me weird, but I kinda think Merla's metal bra corset thing was pretty HAWT...
    rebornterra Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    Sven died in the japanese version (golion) just to let you guys know
    neba Posted 8 years 10 months ago
    This is the sole purpose why I became a mecha fan and watched t.v. animation. This show had the basic character concepts:

Keith: confident and calm leader
    Lance: wisecrack and cool guy
    Hunk: muscle man and big appetite
    Allura: attractive and rich
    Pidge: short and nerdy intellectual
    Sven: injured and the one who died
    Lotor: royal badass, ambitious and HOT for the princess
    Chupi Posted 8 years 11 months ago
    Edy, DJ, Rocky -- Come ON. LOTOR. I was totally hot for LOTOR. Yeeeeeees, the blue cat-drow-elf villain man thing. XD; I don't know why, but I always thought Lotor and Allura would make a good pair... Mwahahahaha!
    robmon300 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
    voltron will go down in cartoon history.
    Edymnion Posted 8 years 11 months ago
    "Who did not have a crush on the Red Lion Leader."

*raises hand*
    Although, I can honestly say Princess Allura in that bath towel did wonders for me =D
    rocky2576 Posted 8 years 11 months ago
    I loved Voltron. Who did not have a crush on the Red Lion Leader. Always thought the princess was a wimp.