• 4 months 6 days ago
    • Posts: 92
    Did anyone catch the 90s documentary on Nat Geo? I thought it was pretty good, it did a good job of highlighting the good with the bad. I do wish they would've discussed more pop culture related topics such as The Simpsons, Jurassic Park, Beavis and Butt-head, etc. I wish it would've had more than three parts as well.
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • 4 months 6 days ago
      • Posts: 2316
      • Forum Mod
      • Editor
      It was good. I liked the 80s one better. You're right that pop culture wasn't covered as much. Too much on the Clinton scandals. The 80s series was 4 60 part episodes where this was 3 90 minute segments.
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • 4 months 6 days ago
        • Posts: 92
        I thought the 80s one had 6 episodes?
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • 4 months 6 days ago
          • Posts: 2316
          • Forum Mod
          • Editor
          Oops, you're right. Funny how they broke up the 80s one and totally crammed the 90s one.
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 4 months 6 days ago
            • Posts: 356
            Well, it's hard to cram so much awesome into less than 6 parts. LOL
            signature The fun doesn't end here. www.retro-daze.com
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • 4 months 6 days ago
              • Posts: 92
              I loved Tony Blair's description of the 90s as a whole. He said it was the greatest era for prosperity and creativity he has ever seen, or something like that lol. Point is, he couldn't be more dead on.
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • 4 months 1 day ago
                • Posts: 63
                1992 was the last great year ever (in my eyes, anyway).
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • 4 months 23 hours ago
                  • Posts: 356
                  moldyoldie1 wrote:
                  1992 was the last great year ever (in my eyes, anyway).


                  Mine as well. Perhaps though, in my case, that is because I graduated high school in '92. From there on out, my life entered a whole new phase in which the culture of the day was far less important to me. Prior to '92, what was happening in music, film, television, gaming, etc. was a higher priority to me, and one that was relevant to everyone around me as well. Post '92, not so much.
                  signature The fun doesn't end here. www.retro-daze.com
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • 4 months 6 hours ago
                    • Posts: 63
                    Ghost of Vapor wrote:
                    moldyoldie1 wrote:
                    1992 was the last great year ever (in my eyes, anyway).


                    Mine as well. Perhaps though, in my case, that is because I graduated high school in '92. From there on out, my life entered a whole new phase in which the culture of the day was far less important to me. Prior to '92, what was happening in music, film, television, gaming, etc. was a higher priority to me, and one that was relevant to everyone around me as well. Post '92, not so much.


                    Everything since 1993 has sucked harder than anything before then.
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • 4 months 4 hours ago
                      • Posts: 1767
                      Ghost of Vapor wrote:
                      Perhaps that is because I graduated high school in '92. Prior to '92, what was happening in music, film, television, gaming, etc. was a higher priority to me. Post '92, not so much.

                      As someone who still had another six years to go until finishing high school, I will say that video games definitely got worse around that time. They were impressive then, but the Super Nintendo library has held up way worse than that of the Nintendo. (Genesis was better than Master System, but let's be honest here they both suck)
                      tangspot2 wrote:
                      Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • 3 months 30 days ago
                        • Posts: 4550
                        I agree they could have compressed the Clinton stuff and focused a little more on pop culture. They hardly covered clothing too. I am glad they highlighted the bad in the 90s because the 90s was really a bad time for America in many ways.

                        While the late 90s was good for me, the early to mid was horrible. I was in high school from 1992 till 1996.

                        There was a lot of racism, bullying and violence back then. In fact the early 90s was the most violent period in the 20th century. Gays didn't have near the rights back then and were frequently victims of violent crime. Three guys from my high school robbed and killed a gay guy because they thought he would have money (because he was gay). Many people were very judgmental, cliquish and just down right assholes back then. People say I'm crazy when I say people are nicer today, but they are.

                        There was a lot of good music, but there was also a lot of crap music in the 90s. Fast food was getting nasty and so was a lot of the foods we loved in the 80s due to companies trying to cut cost. Decor was bland.

                        Clothing was cool. TV and movies were good (lot of crap movies, but most had a good vibe). There were a lot of good arcade and PC games.

                        Bottom line the 90s was better than the 2000s, not as good as today and the 80s was still the best decade. 8)
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                          • 3 months 30 days ago
                          • Posts: 92
                          The culture today is the worst it has ever been. Television is full of reality crap, fashion is so horrid and douchey, cartoons are absolutely stupid, there's only a few good movies a year now and the rest is full blown 3D garbage which makes ticket prices ridiculous, video games are all style over substance, technology only makes people dumber, commercials have zero creativity, sports are full of soft, whiny, crybabies who flop everytime they're breathed on, comic books have completely disrespected the industry's past with yawn inducing storylines and eye gouging art, and finally don't even get me started on music, it's safe to say that industry died in 2005 at the latest and that's being kind.

                          Culture aside, the country was in much better shape in the 90s than it is now by a light year. There were jobs everywhere, no foreign wars, and gas was only $1.10.
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • 3 months 29 days ago
                            • Posts: 2316
                            • Forum Mod
                            • Editor
                            Seems like the 70s and 00s are kind of uneventful decades.
                            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                              • 3 months 29 days ago
                              • Posts: 92
                              I would agree with that.
                              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                • 3 months 29 days ago
                                • Posts: 63
                                bassman21 wrote:
                                I agree they could have compressed the Clinton stuff and focused a little more on pop culture. They hardly covered clothing too. I am glad they highlighted the bad in the 90s because the 90s was really a bad time for America in many ways.

                                While the late 90s was good for me, the early to mid was horrible. I was in high school from 1992 till 1996.

                                There was a lot of racism, bullying and violence back then. In fact the early 90s was the most violent period in the 20th century. Gays didn't have near the rights back then and were frequently victims of violent crime. Three guys from my high school robbed and killed a gay guy because they thought he would have money (because he was gay). Many people were very judgmental, cliquish and just down right assholes back then. People say I'm crazy when I say people are nicer today, but they are.

                                There was a lot of good music, but there was also a lot of crap music in the 90s. Fast food was getting nasty and so was a lot of the foods we loved in the 80s due to companies trying to cut cost. Decor was bland.

                                Clothing was cool. TV and movies were good (lot of crap movies, but most had a good vibe). There were a lot of good arcade and PC games.

                                Bottom line the 90s was better than the 2000s, not as good as today and the 80s was still the best decade. 8)


                                I think of the mid to late 90s as erroneous times. The late 90s were not that different from today. I agree with you on one thing. The 80s were the best decade ever. Early 90s (1990-1993) pop culture is far superior to that of today.
                                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • 3 months 27 days ago
                                  • Posts: 356
                                  I think the 70's could have been an interesting time to live in (I lived my first six years in them, but remember very little about it), but no doubt that the 80's were one of those decades that defines an entire generation of people... much like the 50's and perhaps the 20's and 30's.

                                  We're still reaching out for those things that made the 50's awesome. Cool cars, the dances and music, drive-in restaurants and theaters, etc.

                                  The 80's is much the same. People just have this fascination with how we lived, what we drove, how technology advanced, the music and movies, the gaming revolution and the fun of the arcade, the fun and craziness of it all.

                                  I think another of those decades will come along. But I don't see any of that same fascination growing with any post 2000 yet.
                                  signature The fun doesn't end here. www.retro-daze.com
                                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                    • 3 months 27 days ago
                                    • Posts: 2316
                                    • Forum Mod
                                    • Editor
                                    Excellent point Vapes. You don't really see 70s themed disco parties or school dances. But 50's sock hops are still a staple. Those generations just really came into their own where as other decades just seemed like transition or fading out periods.
                                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                      • 3 months 27 days ago
                                      • Posts: 1767
                                      70s parties were huge 10-15 years ago. Now it's all about 80s parties and we are gradually moving into 90s parties.

                                      For me the biggest thing that the 50s and 80s have in common is obsession with the future. Both decades looked eagerly forward and wanted to invent everything and make it available to the masses.

                                      I see the 70s as having given us great music. I'm not talking about disco. Obligatory



                                      No, I'm talking about heavy metal and punk rock. In fact, I can't think of any decade more important for heavy music than the 70s.
                                      tangspot2 wrote:
                                      Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
                                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • 3 months 27 days ago
                                        • Posts: 2316
                                        • Forum Mod
                                        • Editor
                                        Seems like the 20-30 year old in any given generation are the ones who like to celebrate the past in themed events. I can't think of any rotary club hosting a 30s gala.
                                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          • 3 months 26 days ago
                                          • Posts: 289
                                          I don't have cable TV anymore but I did watch a little bit of the series at a bar. I watched it without sound a couple of times and I was fine with that since I knew about the events they were showing anyway and watching the footage was more interesting than listening to people talk about it. I saw the series on a few different occasions at this bar and maybe once I listened with the sound on. Yeah, it was mostly about political matters with plenty about the Clinton scandal, the internet, Nirvana, Macarena, etc. but I didn't watch it from beginning to end so I know I missed out on a bunch of footage. There's always VH1's I Love the 90s that can be found on Youtube. Either way, I love watching footage of the 90s and it's hard to believe that I lived through them when it was so long ago.
                                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          Search