• 10 months 1 day ago
    • Posts: 99
    If you don't know this by now, Saban's Vortexx on the CW will die off this fall. Before that, Cookie Jar TV, even before that, ABC KIDS! Because of the E/I monopolist, Litton. How will future kids stand this. NBC Kids isn't that all spectacular, even though it's not with Litton(just yet). Remember the glory days starting from the 60's. The 70's were great. 80's, I can't complain. WE all miss weekday cartoon blocks as well. Think of "One Magnificent Morning" on the CW on October 4 as "One Malicious Morning"! The FCC gets stricter every minute or so! Isn't getting educated as school enough already! It's like Litton and other syndicated distributors want to punish kids on broadcast TV as traditional cartoons there are no more. You may settle for PBS kids, but it won't do you any good. Although "This is for kids" and "Cookie Jar Toons" on This TV is gone(and this is a digital subnetwork), we hope the ruling doesn't apply to other digital subnetworks such as Retro TV, Antenna TV(Yeah! Totally Tooned IN!), MeTV and PBJ. You might settle for them than the main stations as they're much more horrible there.
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
    • avatar
      • 10 months 1 day ago
      • Posts: 2404
      • Forum Mod
      • Editor
      In all fairness, these shows were intended for kids. And I can't recall an instance where a show or network was cancelled and 8 year olds were up in arms signing petitions. Times change man, enjoy them while they're here.
      My Last Article For RetroJunk

      Remembering RetroJunk
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • avatar
        • 9 months 30 days ago
        • Posts: 1286
        I know, these "edutainment" shows suck and clog up
        the airways but what are you going to do. It's just
        a fact of life.
        Ed:An Apple A Day Keeps The Bus Driver Away!

        Check out my Youtube page.Full of classic commercials from the 80s,90s,and 00s.

        http://www.youtube.com/user/AtlantaCommercials96/videos
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • avatar
          • 9 months 29 days ago
          • Posts: 2943
          Well it wasn't as bad as Fox's Weekend Marketplace. Which they are going to get rid of (finally) with non-Litton programming.

          Actually I'd like to get in the E/I game and make really cheap and crappy children's programming and be rich!
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 9 months 29 days ago
            • Posts: 99
            pikachulover wrote:
            Well it wasn't as bad as Fox's Weekend Marketplace. Which they are going to get rid of (finally) with non-Litton programming.

            Actually I'd like to get in the E/I game and make really cheap and crappy children's programming and be rich!

            Only NBC and FOX have no Litton shows.
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • 9 months 25 days ago
              • Posts: 16
              What new government ruling are they talking about this time?
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • avatar
                • 9 months 23 days ago
                • Posts: 10005
                Well, there's always the World Wide Web. If you look hard enough, you might be able to find episodes of the shows you used to watch on Saturday mornings as a kid.
                thecrow174: Lover of martial arts cinema.
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • avatar
                  • 7 months 23 days ago
                  • Posts: 578
                  Not only is it the end of animation on CW, but actually the end of Saturday morning cartoons altogether.

                  Personally, I find this news depressing. Here in Toronto, I can not find proper animated programming on free TV for kids 8-13 (I know in the USA there's some stuff on broadcast TV, but where I live all the ones we have on free TV is CBC and TVO - which only show educational stuff for little toddlers - and the CW signals we get from Buffalo, NY). And considering I am quite the anime fan, I'm a little sad as this block is the only one as far as I know that carries anime on broadcast television.

                  American kids seem to get it luckier. Tons of good stuff free legally online, and at times good broadcast TV.
                  signature
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • avatar
                    • 7 months 23 days ago
                    • Posts: 578
                    pikachulover wrote:
                    Well it wasn't as bad as Fox's Weekend Marketplace. Which they are going to get rid of (finally) with non-Litton programming.

                    Actually I'd like to get in the E/I game and make really cheap and crappy children's programming and be rich!


                    I think that Fox's E/I programming looks quite interesting. One Magnificent Morning looks like 75% sentimental woo.
                    signature
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • avatar
                      • 7 months 23 days ago
                      • Posts: 152
                      It was inevitable anyway. Sure, some people blame the FCC and the like. That may be part of it, but I really think the number one biggest reason is the fact that kids have cable channels like Nickelodeon, as well as streaming services such as Netflix. All of which, gives kids a lot more options, that there is really not much of a reason to watch Saturday Morning cartoon shows on broadcast TV.

                      Really, Saturday morning cartoons had more meaning back during the 60s and 70s, because there was no cable, and the only place to watch cartoons was on any of the three TV networks. And with that, they made Saturday Mornings the ultimate place to turn to watch the newest and latest cartoons (although, a lot of them at the time were a bunch of shitty Scooby-Doo clones). And then, cable came along, and Nickelodeon was launched as the first kids TV channel. That was one of the first signs that would bring the end of Saturday morning cartoons, but even then, it was still alive and well in the 80s.

                      What really marked the beginning of the end was when NBC got rid of their Saturday Morning cartoon block, and they brought in teen shows on NBC, such as Saved by the Bell. Sure, the magic of Saturday Mornings was still around even when I was a kid, and there did exist Fox Kids and Kids WB, which had a hand in keeping Saturday Mornings around for a little while longer, but it was still slowly dying back then. The popularity of networks like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network was rising, and this gave Saturday morning blocks an even bigger chance to die off.

                      Now that cable raised to being the standard, and kids are not only watching 24/7 kids networks, but they also have the Internet, in which they can watch quality kids programming through Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Instant, etc. This really gives kids more opportunities to view their favorite programming. With that much access to children's programming, there's really no longer a reason for kids to watch any traditional Saturday Morning TV blocks on broadcast television.

                      Still, we can't really complain. Like Vkimo said earlier, these shows are for kids... and this isn't something for us to try to petition and get Saturday Morning shows to come back on the air. I know there was one butthurt user on Youtuber I made fun of years ago who tried to do that, because he thinks that he, and other people, thinks their entitled to have kids programming that's just the way it is during their childhoods. The thing is though, if kids do not feel they have a reason to tune into any broadcast channel for Saturday Morning cartoons, then there's no reason for them to exist. If they really do appease to these internet users by actually creating a new Saturday Morning block that's supposedly targeted for kids, and it's all the type of programming that these people on the internet have asked for, and it's not something kids are interested in watching. All this so called "children's block" would be catered towards are grown-ass manchildren in their 20s and 30s, and not for the kids. This is why I say this... we're not the ones who are entitled. I know some people aren't willing to accept this, but it is something we should move on from.
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • avatar
                        • 7 months 23 days ago
                        • Posts: 1864
                        It's OK, Vertex hasn't been around much lately anyway.
                        tangspot2 wrote:
                        Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • avatar
                          • 7 months 14 days ago
                          • Posts: 10005
                          A song that made Saturday mornings meaningful.

                          thecrow174: Lover of martial arts cinema.
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                          • avatar
                            • 7 months 6 days ago
                            • Posts: 578
                            I recorded the last 30 minutes or so of that block.
                            signature
                            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • avatar
                              • 7 months 5 hours ago
                              • Posts: 718
                              randomuser2349 wrote:
                              I recorded the last 30 minutes or so of that block.


                              I did the full block. Took 4 tapes which transferred to DVD later on.
                              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                              • avatar
                                • 7 months 1 hour ago
                                • Posts: 718
                                pikachulover wrote:
                                Well it wasn't as bad as Fox's Weekend Marketplace. Which they are going to get rid of (finally) with non-Litton programming.

                                Actually I'd like to get in the E/I game and make really cheap and crappy children's programming and be rich!



                                Most Fox stations didn't even show the Weekend Marketplace. My local Fox station has a weekend morning edition of the local news cast and then a few hours of non-Litton educational programming.
                                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • 6 months 30 days ago
                                  • Posts: 99
                                  Actually today's premiere of OMM was the worst damn crap I ever experienced!! Weekend Marketplace on FOX still exists. Bet You'll hate Xploration Station, which is unlikely to be Xtinct! The Post-Vortexx era is much worse than before! Better get your CN rolling!! Vortexx fans, STAND UP!!
                                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • avatar
                                    • 6 months 30 days ago
                                    • Posts: 718
                                    grand80sfan wrote:
                                    Actually today's premiere of OMM was the worst damn crap I ever experienced!! Weekend Marketplace on FOX still exists. Bet You'll hate Xploration Station, which is unlikely to be Xtinct! The Post-Vortexx era is much worse than before! Better get your CN rolling!! Vortexx fans, STAND UP!!


                                    Well I found out about this "Xploration Station" because it replaced a local show on my Fox station which aired on Saturday mornings that I liked watching. I had no idea either until one day about a month ago when I had my recorder set to timer record it and thought I had set it wrong when I saw it taped the wrong show. I do still use a VCR to tape anything that won't be online any time soon.
                                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                    • avatar
                                      • 6 months 30 days ago
                                      • Posts: 4566
                                      The soccer mom types are the main cause of this. They pushed to get the rules changed and threatened boycotts. In the 90s they were hybrid upper middle class religious conservatives doing it. Today it's a segment of the far left, anti gun, vegan, barefooted liberals that are obsessed with doing everything the "experts" say with their kids doing it. They complained about the violence and then they complained about the marketing towards kids.

                                      The next factor was the unions unreasonable demands for the production company. This along with the difficulty getting marketing dollars made it not worth it for the networks.

                                      Another factor is a lot of kids have sports and other structured activities. Many of these start early on Saturday's. I've also noticed that families get an early start with shopping and other weekend activities too. Before the kids would be the first up and the parents slept in late. With more people working during the week I guess they have more to get done. So there are less kids watching TV. Even those at home more often have parents that limit their TV viewing.

                                      It seems like there are enough kids in the country without cable that are home to have kid programming on Saturday morning on at least one network, but with the rules and pressures from parents it just isn't worth the trouble.

                                      Not an issue for me because I don't watch kiddie shows anymore and don't have kids.
                                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • 6 months 30 days ago
                                        • Posts: 99
                                        bassman21 wrote:
                                        The soccer mom types are the main cause of this. They pushed to get the rules changed and threatened boycotts. In the 90s they were hybrid upper middle class religious conservatives doing it. Today it's a segment of the far left, anti gun, vegan, barefooted liberals that are obsessed with doing everything the "experts" say with their kids doing it. They complained about the violence and then they complained about the marketing towards kids.

                                        The next factor was the unions unreasonable demands for the production company. This along with the difficulty getting marketing dollars made it not worth it for the networks.

                                        Another factor is a lot of kids have sports and other structured activities. Many of these start early on Saturday's. I've also noticed that families get an early start with shopping and other weekend activities too. Before the kids would be the first up and the parents slept in late. With more people working during the week I guess they have more to get done. So there are less kids watching TV. Even those at home more often have parents that limit their TV viewing.

                                        It seems like there are enough kids in the country without cable that are home to have kid programming on Saturday morning on at least one network, but with the rules and pressures from parents it just isn't worth the trouble.

                                        Not an issue for me because I don't watch kiddie shows anymore and don't have kids.

                                        Well. then you are hard hearted and the fans aren't!
                                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          • 6 months 29 days ago
                                          • Posts: 99
                                          Litton Entertainment is more like Litton Edu-Torment!! It's also the devil of Saturday morning programming. Not many kids are willing to tune in to this junk. Future kids are already throwing a fit because of this!
                                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          Search