• 1 year 2 months ago
    • Posts: 9855
    Due to safety concerns.

    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57606514/n.y-school-bans-balls-at-recess-cracks-down-on-tag-games-over-safety-fears/
    thecrow174: Lover of martial arts cinema.
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • 1 year 2 months ago
      • Posts: 901
      thecrow174 wrote:
      Due to safety concerns.

      http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57606514/n.y-school-bans-balls-at-recess-cracks-down-on-tag-games-over-safety-fears/


      and let the wussification begin.
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • 1 year 2 months ago
        • Posts: 9855
        Banning cartwheels and tag is kinda going too far, isn't it?
        thecrow174: Lover of martial arts cinema.
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • 1 year 2 months ago
          • Posts: 613
          Isn't this taking it a little too far? What's next, you can't play Hopscotch?

          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 1 year 2 months ago
            • Posts: 1253
            Well, that's kind of lame.
            Ed:An Apple A Day Keeps The Bus Driver Away!

            Check out my Youtube page.Full of classic commercials from the 80s,90s,and 00s.

            http://www.youtube.com/user/AtlantaCommercials96/videos
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • 1 year 2 months ago
              • Posts: 9855
              Why don't they just tell the kids to quit enjoying life?
              thecrow174: Lover of martial arts cinema.
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • 1 year 2 months ago
                • Posts: 6905
                And now with all the concerns over sports related head injuries, like concussions, it won't be long before kids sports will be a thing of the past.
                The Eldorado is dead. Long live the Eldorado.
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • 1 year 2 months ago
                  • Posts: 4553
                  No shock seeing this from that part of the country. A big part of it is they are worried about getting sued and the progressive courts there generally side with the parents. Here in Texas is very hard to sue a public school so you don't see these types of bans near as much.

                  Law suits are creating a lot of problems in this country. There are money hungry lawyers desperate to take on any suit they can. Until the laws on lawsuits change you will see more of this.
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • 1 year 2 months ago
                    • Posts: 6905
                    Sports used to be a big part of every school I attended back in the day. Now kids are being sheltered from the rough and tumble of life. That will have an impact on everyone in the future.
                    The Eldorado is dead. Long live the Eldorado.
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • 1 year 2 months ago
                      • Posts: 9855
                      The kids needs these things during recess. It helps them to escape from the pressures of school life.
                      thecrow174: Lover of martial arts cinema.
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • 1 year 2 months ago
                        • Posts: 3946
                        And they wonder why so many fat kids.
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                          • 1 year 2 months ago
                          • Posts: 4553
                          thecrow174 wrote:
                          The kids needs these things during recess. It helps them to escape from the pressures of school life.


                          Yea I think adults forget that they are dealing with kids. In the old days the school day was about 6 hours long and classes went on from after labor day until Memorial Day. Kids had recess every day, story time and even naps until the second or third grade. Homework didn't exist until then either. Homework was something you did in about 20 minutes and it usually wasn't given on weekends and never on holidays. After school you went home. You didn't go to daycare until 6 at night. You didn't have scheduled activities 7 days a week from controlling parents. Over the years they kept adding more and more to the curriculum. Then came standardized testing. The school day and school year became longer and recess, lunch and PE was shortened. There were less field trips and things like parties were eliminated. Homework went from two to three hours a week to two to three hours a night. School became long and boring. Kids that didn't conformed were labelled and medicated. It just has gotten worst. It's really sad. Some people's answer is giving the schools more money and to give kids more work to raise the test scores. No they need to eliminate all of this extra crap and get back to the basics of reading writing and math. They need to make school a place that kids want to go to. A place where they can socialize and have fun. There has to be a balance of work and fun. There has to be a childhood!
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • 1 year 2 months ago
                            • Posts: 9855
                            bassman21 wrote:
                            thecrow174 wrote:
                            The kids needs these things during recess. It helps them to escape from the pressures of school life.


                            Yea I think adults forget that they are dealing with kids. In the old days the school day was about 6 hours long and classes went on from after labor day until Memorial Day. Kids had recess every day, story time and even naps until the second or third grade. Homework didn't exist until then either. Homework was something you did in about 20 minutes and it usually wasn't given on weekends and never on holidays. After school you went home. You didn't go to daycare until 6 at night. You didn't have scheduled activities 7 days a week from controlling parents. Over the years they kept adding more and more to the curriculum. Then came standardized testing. The school day and school year became longer and recess, lunch and PE was shortened. There were less field trips and things like parties were eliminated. Homework went from two to three hours a week to two to three hours a night. School became long and boring. Kids that didn't conformed were labelled and medicated. It just has gotten worst. It's really sad. Some people's answer is giving the schools more money and to give kids more work to raise the test scores. No they need to eliminate all of this extra crap and get back to the basics of reading writing and math. They need to make school a place that kids want to go to. A place where they can socialize and have fun. There has to be a balance of work and fun. There has to be a childhood!

                            Do they ever ask the kids what they want? I doubt it.
                            thecrow174: Lover of martial arts cinema.
                            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                              • 1 year 2 months ago
                              • Posts: 4553
                              They never do. In their eyes they are kids that don't know what is best for them. If they don't like it, it's too bad. If they don't do what they are told they will be punished for it. It's always been that way, but it seems like years ago they at least tried to please the kids. I sort of came in on the tail end of it when I started school in 1981. By the 4th grade they ended field day, most parties and banned parents bringing things like cup cakes and cookies to the school. There was no recess and only PE which was full of rules. We were only allowed two restroom breaks a day and usually denied if we asked at any other time. They actually banned us from talking during lunch at one point. Everything seemed like it revolved around keeping us still a quiet the entire day. I was sent to the office weekly and got padded 3 times in just a couple of months into the new school year. I literally failed every subject on my first report card. That combined with other on going issues was why my parents put me in private school. Funny thing is I didn't have any issues when I first started school, but by the 4th grade I was all screwed up. My abusive 3rd grade teacher didn't help. The bottom line is school should be fun and kids should have time to move around and socialize.
                              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                • 1 year 2 months ago
                                • Posts: 9855
                                bassman21 wrote:
                                They never do. In their eyes they are kids that don't know what is best for them. If they don't like it, it's too bad. If they don't do what they are told they will be punished for it. It's always been that way, but it seems like years ago they at least tried to please the kids. I sort of came in on the tail end of it when I started school in 1981. By the 4th grade they ended field day, most parties and banned parents bringing things like cup cakes and cookies to the school. There was no recess and only PE which was full of rules. We were only allowed two restroom breaks a day and usually denied if we asked at any other time. They actually banned us from talking during lunch at one point. Everything seemed like it revolved around keeping us still a quiet the entire day. I was sent to the office weekly and got padded 3 times in just a couple of months into the new school year. I literally failed every subject on my first report card. That combined with other on going issues was why my parents put me in private school. Funny thing is I didn't have any issues when I first started school, but by the 4th grade I was all screwed up. My abusive 3rd grade teacher didn't help. The bottom line is school should be fun and kids should have time to move around and socialize.

                                Man, talk about having a hard life. I'm sorry that stuff happened to you, bass.

                                It's bad enough that elementary school students have to deal with bullies, teachers who give them a hard time, tests and other stuff. They deserve a break from all that. It isn't right for the adults to just step in and deny them the recess fun.
                                thecrow174: Lover of martial arts cinema.
                                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • 1 year 2 months ago
                                  • Posts: 4553
                                  Yea parts of my childhood and several parts of my teen years were pretty tough. Looking back it amazes me that some of the stuff I experienced actually happened. It effected me well into my adult life. I've realized recently that my life has overall been pretty good. Most of the bad I've experienced has been the result of miserable people that wanted to bring me down. My abusive 3rd grade teacher was ultimately jealous of how happy of a kid I was. She probably had a horrible childhood and felt like I needed a taste of it.

                                  Sadly there are still teachers and staff out there that bully kids. Look at the kids that are getting expelled for the so called "zero tolerance". There are literally 1000s of stories. Like these kids were for playing with air soft guns on their own property before school.

                                  http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/25/awful-school-expels-kids-who-played-with-airsoft-gun-on-private-property/
                                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                    • 1 year 2 months ago
                                    • Posts: 901
                                    I'm not surprised. All these yuppies have been moving to NYC, especially Brooklyn, over paying for property and driving out the original people and culture. When I was young we used to play games in front of our building, we had great times and everyone knew each other. Now you might get a fine for being in front of the building for too long. They even wanted to ban the ice cream truck! They overpay for condos in packed buildings and then complain about the noise. If one day I'm lucky and win a big enough jackpot with millions to burn I will buy some of those properties and turn them back into section 8 at a loss just to stick it too those gentrifying bastards for ruining my childhood neighborhood.
                                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                      • 1 year 2 months ago
                                      • Posts: 9855
                                      bassman21 wrote:
                                      Yea parts of my childhood and several parts of my teen years were pretty tough. Looking back it amazes me that some of the stuff I experienced actually happened. It effected me well into my adult life. I've realized recently that my life has overall been pretty good. Most of the bad I've experienced has been the result of miserable people that wanted to bring me down. My abusive 3rd grade teacher was ultimately jealous of how happy of a kid I was. She probably had a horrible childhood and felt like I needed a taste of it.

                                      Sadly there are still teachers and staff out there that bully kids. Look at the kids that are getting expelled for the so called "zero tolerance". There are literally 1000s of stories. Like these kids were for playing with air soft guns on their own property before school.

                                      http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/25/awful-school-expels-kids-who-played-with-airsoft-gun-on-private-property/

                                      Those boys weren't hurting anybody. They were just playing with plastic toy guns on their private property. Why should the committee care about what the boys do there?
                                      thecrow174: Lover of martial arts cinema.
                                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • 1 year 2 months ago
                                        • Posts: 9855
                                        bklynbren wrote:
                                        I'm not surprised. All these yuppies have been moving to NYC, especially Brooklyn, over paying for property and driving out the original people and culture. When I was young we used to play games in front of our building, we had great times and everyone knew each other. Now you might get a fine for being in front of the building for too long. They even wanted to ban the ice cream truck! They overpay for condos in packed buildings and then complain about the noise. If one day I'm lucky and win a big enough jackpot with millions to burn I will buy some of those properties and turn them back into section 8 at a loss just to stick it too those gentrifying bastards for ruining my childhood neighborhood.

                                        What next? Kids won't be allowed to play in the sprinklers?
                                        thecrow174: Lover of martial arts cinema.
                                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          • 1 year 2 months ago
                                          • Posts: 901
                                          thecrow174 wrote:
                                          bklynbren wrote:
                                          I'm not surprised. All these yuppies have been moving to NYC, especially Brooklyn, over paying for property and driving out the original people and culture. When I was young we used to play games in front of our building, we had great times and everyone knew each other. Now you might get a fine for being in front of the building for too long. They even wanted to ban the ice cream truck! They overpay for condos in packed buildings and then complain about the noise. If one day I'm lucky and win a big enough jackpot with millions to burn I will buy some of those properties and turn them back into section 8 at a loss just to stick it too those gentrifying bastards for ruining my childhood neighborhood.

                                          What next? Kids won't be allowed to play in the sprinklers?


                                          Not without a full set of floaties, goggles, fins and a safety harness.
                                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          Search
                                          Users Online