• 1 year 2 months ago
    • Posts: 4549
    For me......
    Fish aquarium pump
    Church organs
    Vienna horns
    Marching bands
    Florescent light ballast humming
    Water falls
    Cracking sound of a fire
    Crickets chirping at night
    The sound of a basketball game (ie ball bouncing, shoes squeaking)
    A baby trying to talk from the distance in a mall
    The high pitch sound that a CRT makes. (Not sure I can even hear it anymore :()
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • 1 year 2 months ago
      • Posts: 1736
      bassman21 wrote:
      The high pitch sound that a CRT makes.
      Yesyesyes.

      The granddaughter clock in my parents' house.
      Computer POST beep (and fan starting and disk drive check)
      VCR accepting a tape
      TV static

      I think they are all technology related because those are very distinct sounds that are always the same. Crickets and fires, though big parts of my youth, don't give me that tinge, and I can't decide whether it's because their sounds are irregular, or if they're just less unusual for me to to hear now.
      tangspot2 wrote:
      Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • 1 year 2 months ago
        • Posts: 289
        90s music.
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • 1 year 2 months ago
          • Posts: 1
          Dial up internet
          90s pop songs
          Old Nokia ringtones
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 1 year 2 months ago
            • Posts: 702
            • Globally Banned
            bassman21 wrote:
            For me......
            Fish aquarium pump
            Church organs
            Vienna horns
            Marching bands
            Florescent light ballast humming
            Water falls
            Cracking sound of a fire
            Crickets chirping at night
            The sound of a basketball game (ie ball bouncing, shoes squeaking)
            A baby trying to talk from the distance in a mall
            The high pitch sound that a CRT makes. (Not sure I can even hear it anymore :()


            90's music
            80's music with synthesysers
            music in the Walt Disney Masterpiece collection mini promos
            Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • 1 year 2 months ago
              • Posts: 511
              The class-change bell in a school (the "BEEEEEEEP" over the intercom type, which both my junior high and high school had)
              1970's music
              1980's music
              Church music (traditional hymns)
              Music playing on vinyl records
              Arcades
              1980's arcade/video games
              Ice cream trucks (Mister Softee, Jack & Jill, etc.)
              Sesame Street theme/music (especially from the 1970's)
              A model rocket being launched
              The on-board sound of a jet airplane during taxi/take-off (announcements, safety/emergency instructions, the captain telling the flight attendants to "prepare for take-off", the engines throttling up)
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • 1 year 2 months ago
                • Posts: 702
                • Globally Banned
                Timothy1964 wrote:
                The class-change bell in a school (the "BEEEEEEEP" over the intercom type, which both my junior high and high school had)
                1970's music
                1980's music
                Church music (traditional hymns)
                Music playing on vinyl records
                Arcades
                1980's arcade/video games
                Ice cream trucks (Mister Softee, Jack & Jill, etc.)
                Sesame Street theme/music (especially from the 1970's)
                A model rocket being launched
                The on-board sound of a jet airplane during taxi/take-off (announcements, safety/emergency instructions, the captain telling the flight attendants to "prepare for take-off", the engines throttling up)


                Eletcric guitars
                Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • 1 year 2 months ago
                  • Posts: 4549
                  Here's a few more worth mentioning.
                  The mating call sound that toads make at night after a big rain.
                  The sound of the freeway while laying in bed late at night. I don't live near a freeway anymore so I have not herd it from that perspective in some time.
                  Small engine planes and helicopters flying over.
                  A gas furnace or water heater igniting.
                  A/C, water fountain or refrigerator compressor starting up.
                  Wind chimes
                  The sound of a garage door closing.
                  Rapid touch tone (DTMF) phone sounds.

                  stake n sheak wrote:
                  bassman21 wrote:
                  The high pitch sound that a CRT makes.
                  Yesyesyes.

                  The granddaughter clock in my parents' house.
                  Computer POST beep (and fan starting and disk drive check)
                  VCR accepting a tape
                  TV static

                  I think they are all technology related because those are very distinct sounds that are always the same. Crickets and fires, though big parts of my youth, don't give me that tinge, and I can't decide whether it's because their sounds are irregular, or if they're just less unusual for me to to hear now.

                  Yes! The boot up sound of an old computer is very nostalgic for me too. So is the sound a old CRT makes when you turn it on.
                  Timothy1964 wrote:

                  The on-board sound of a jet airplane during taxi/take-off (announcements, safety/emergency instructions, the captain telling the flight attendants to "prepare for take-off", the engines throttling up)

                  Yes that's a very classic sound. I only flew on a plane once as a kid so it doesn't have much of a nostalgic value for me though.
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • 1 year 2 months ago
                    • Posts: 2300
                    • Forum Mod
                    • Editor
                    I don't think music falls into the category Bassman is talking about. For me a few are:

                    Doorbell tone when you walk into old convenience stores.
                    Rain pit pattering.
                    Legos spilling into a bin.
                    Coin dropped into a slot.
                    RC electric car engine noise.
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • 1 year 2 months ago
                      • Posts: 702
                      • Globally Banned
                      vkimo wrote:
                      I don't think music falls into the category Bassman is talking about. For me a few are:

                      Doorbell tone when you walk into old convenience stores.
                      Rain pit pattering.
                      Legos spilling into a bin.
                      Coin dropped into a slot.
                      RC electric car engine noise.


                      Motor home engine noise
                      Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • 1 year 2 months ago
                        • Posts: 9710
                        The sounds of 80s music. Like that Liberty Mutual Insurance commercial.
                        There is a battle between two wolves inside us all.

                        One is evil and the other one is good. Which wolf will win? The one you feed the most.

                        http://unbelievableyou.com/a-native-american-cherokee-story-two-wolves/
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                          • 1 year 2 months ago
                          • Posts: 702
                          • Globally Banned
                          thecrow174 wrote:
                          The sounds of 80s music. Like that Liberty Mutual Insurance commercial.


                          Or the keyboard intro in Glory of Love
                          Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • 1 year 2 months ago
                            • Posts: 9710
                            The version I heard never had a keyboard intro. Are you sure that you're not thinking of The Power of Love?
                            There is a battle between two wolves inside us all.

                            One is evil and the other one is good. Which wolf will win? The one you feed the most.

                            http://unbelievableyou.com/a-native-american-cherokee-story-two-wolves/
                            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                              • 1 year 2 months ago
                              • Posts: 4549
                              I agree about the door bell sound at convenience stores Vkimo. Yea music in general doesn't count, but the instruments do.
                              retroman wrote:


                              Motor home engine noise

                              A diesel engine idling and the smell of them takes me back to the loading ramp at school.
                              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                • 1 year 2 months ago
                                • Posts: 9710
                                The sound of popcorn kernels popping in a microwave.
                                There is a battle between two wolves inside us all.

                                One is evil and the other one is good. Which wolf will win? The one you feed the most.

                                http://unbelievableyou.com/a-native-american-cherokee-story-two-wolves/
                                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • 1 year 2 months ago
                                  • Posts: 380
                                  dot matrix printer
                                  a VCR rewinding or fastforwarding
                                  that sort of whistling sound at the end of the "Ask Mr. Owl" tootsie pop commercial
                                  the rattling of a cassette tape
                                  the scratch and crackle of a record
                                  Don't pay any attention to the evil spirited and dead of heart. They're not worth your time.
                                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                    • 1 year 2 months ago
                                    • Posts: 702
                                    • Globally Banned
                                    thecrow174 wrote:
                                    The sound of popcorn kernels popping in a microwave.


                                    Now i hear it iess
                                    Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                      • 1 year 2 months ago
                                      • Posts: 702
                                      • Globally Banned
                                      thecrow174 wrote:
                                      The version I heard never had a keyboard intro. Are you sure that you're not thinking of The Power of Love?


                                      The song i am talking about was the love theme from Karate Kid part 2 sung by the former band leader of Chicago Peter Catera
                                      Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • 1 year 2 months ago
                                        • Posts: 702
                                        • Globally Banned
                                        CruJonesIsTheMan wrote:
                                        dot matrix printer
                                        a VCR rewinding or fastforwarding
                                        that sort of whistling sound at the end of the "Ask Mr. Owl" tootsie pop commercial
                                        the rattling of a cassette tape
                                        the scratch and crackle of a record


                                        Music to my ears
                                        Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          • 1 year 2 months ago
                                          • Posts: 4549
                                          CruJonesIsTheMan wrote:
                                          dot matrix printer

                                          They had them in the office at my elementary school. I remember hearing them printing while waiting to see the principal when I was in trouble. I would be scared that I was going to get the paddled and that sound just resonated with me. Another sound nostalgic for some that was negative for me were rotary phones. I remember the principal dialing our home phone number to get permission to paddle me. Of course the answer was always yes. :(
                                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          Search