• 1 year 4 months ago
    • Posts: 84
    • Globally Banned
    I have one on my lower arm that I got back in 2004. It had a very big meaning to me and still does today.
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • 1 year 4 months ago
      • Posts: 1436
      I have a few, yeah. I want to get more, but being in what seems like a never ending job hunt, I feel like that'd be a bad idea for now.
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • 1 year 4 months ago
        • Posts: 2300
        • Forum Mod
        • Editor
        Nope, and don't plan to. If my father did, I would probably have though just out of imitation. I just think tattoos are juvenile, just my opinion though.
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • 1 year 4 months ago
          • Posts: 1436
          vkimo wrote:
          Nope, and don't plan to. If my father did, I would probably have though just out of imitation. I just think tattoos are juvenile, just my opinion though.


          So by that reasoning, anyone who has one is "juvenile"? To make such a blanket statement is juvenile in and of itself.

          I apologize for coming of rude, and I respect you're opinion, but surely you can see how someone would be offended by it.
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 1 year 4 months ago
            • Posts: 819
            My first tattoo is big and crapy, I was like 18 and payed 40 bucks to a local back yard tattoo artist, The rest are good.
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • 1 year 4 months ago
              • Posts: 2300
              • Forum Mod
              • Editor
              Derk wrote:
              vkimo wrote:
              Nope, and don't plan to. If my father did, I would probably have though just out of imitation. I just think tattoos are juvenile, just my opinion though.


              So by that reasoning, anyone who has one is "juvenile"? To make such a blanket statement is juvenile in and of itself.

              I apologize for coming of rude, and I respect you're opinion, but surely you can see how someone would be offended by it.


              You're totally right, it's an ignorant opinion based on nothing but my own shallow perception :(
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • 1 year 4 months ago
                • Posts: 1436
                vkimo wrote:
                Derk wrote:
                vkimo wrote:
                Nope, and don't plan to. If my father did, I would probably have though just out of imitation. I just think tattoos are juvenile, just my opinion though.


                So by that reasoning, anyone who has one is "juvenile"? To make such a blanket statement is juvenile in and of itself.

                I apologize for coming of rude, and I respect you're opinion, but surely you can see how someone would be offended by it.


                You're totally right, it's an ignorant opinion based on nothing but my own shallow perception :(


                I mean, I completely understand that not everyone is going to want to run out and get a tattoo. Nothing wrong with that in the least. Blanket statements regarding them are irritating.

                Again, I didn't mean to come across as a jerk and apologies if I did. To be honest, I probably should have took the smart route and never opened this can of worms to begin with.
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • 1 year 4 months ago
                  • Posts: 2300
                  • Forum Mod
                  • Editor
                  No hard feelings here. This is a forum meant for discussion, the flow of thought and exchange of ideas.

                  I retract my earlier statement and want to clarify. I'm in my 20s and it just seems like most of the tattoos by people my age come off as juvenile. It's foreign for me to think that someone can go into a parlor with no thought in their head as to what they want, look through a binder and get something. My brother got a tiger on his neck one day, while under the influence, my sister has a tattoo of some guy she dated for like a week. But a lot of tatts are amazing and have deep meaning. It's just not my thing. I can appreciate the art and appeal though.
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • 1 year 4 months ago
                    • Posts: 1736
                    edit: I began writing this before Derk & vkimo's most recent replies. Nice to see you're openminded vkimo, although it's no surprise. /

                    It's all about your life experiences. In my home town it's rare. Tattoos are much more common than they were 100 years ago. Yet there are still parts of the country and world where they are only seen on punk rockers, vagrants, junkies, convicts, and other people who are not...considered respectable, as it were. Not to say there aren't people who stumble drunkenly into a tattoo shop at 2 AM demanding an Ed Hardy knockoff. And I do think the kanji tats and tribal signs are uninspired and stupid if they do not reflect one's actual heritage. There are impulsive, uncreative people in every segment of society.

                    But I know many awesome and responsible people who have tattoos. Like much fashion, the prominence of tattoos is influenced by music, youth culture, and art. Those of us who grew up listening to or playing rock music (or around other people who did) may be more inclined to get tattoos. Like the people I choose to surround myself with. Even though many of us are now homeowners, involved in community development, etc. Mrs stake has the most of all, and she is a 'manager of special events' and one of the most organized people I know. My boss at work also has a couple.

                    I have a schematic diagram covering my right arm from wrist to shoulder, all the way around. I carefully considered the choice for years before I got it. I might like to have more, but I have other, more important things to spend money on right now. I also don't really know what else I would get. I have an idea or two. I'm not about to go to a parlor and pick something out of the book.
                    tangspot2 wrote:
                    Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • 1 year 4 months ago
                      • Posts: 1436
                      vkimo wrote:
                      No hard feelings here. This is a forum meant for discussion, the flow of thought and exchange of ideas.

                      I retract my earlier statement and want to clarify. I'm in my 20s and it just seems like most of the tattoos by people my age come off as juvenile. It's foreign for me to think that someone can go into a parlor with no thought in their head as to what they want, look through a binder and get something. My brother got a tiger on his neck one day, while under the influence, my sister has a tattoo of some guy she dated for like a week. But a lot of tatts are amazing and have deep meaning. It's just not my thing. I can appreciate the art and appeal though.


                      I have family members that made poor tattoo choices as well. My uncle was vacationing in San Francisco, proceeded to get drunk, and then thought it would be a terrific idea to get a Scooby-Doo tattoo. And this isn't just any Scooby-Doo tattoo. In this one, Scooby is wearing a backwards baseball cap and smoking a joint. Naturally, looking back with a clear mind, he's pretty ashamed of it.
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • 1 year 4 months ago
                        • Posts: 84
                        • Globally Banned
                        [quote=stake n sheak][color=red]edit[/color]: I began writing this before Derk & vkimo's most recent replies. Nice to see you're openminded vkimo, although it's no surprise. [color=red]/[/color]

                        It's all about your life experiences. In my home town it's rare. Tattoos are much more common than they were 100 years ago. Yet there are still parts of the country and world where they are only seen on punk rockers, vagrants, junkies, convicts, and other people who are not...considered respectable, as it were. Not to say there aren't people who stumble drunkenly into a tattoo shop at 2 AM demanding an Ed Hardy knockoff. And I do think the [i]kanji[/i] tats and tribal signs are uninspired and stupid if they do not reflect one's actual heritage. There are impulsive, uncreative people in every segment of society.


                        I absolutely agree about what you are saying about kanji and tribal tattoos. Mine is a cross. The reason it is a cross is because yes, I am a Christian.
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                          • 1 year 4 months ago
                          • Posts: 1436
                          stake n sheak wrote:
                          edit: I began writing this before Derk & vkimo's most recent replies. Nice to see you're openminded vkimo, although it's no surprise. /

                          It's all about your life experiences. In my home town it's rare. Tattoos are much more common than they were 100 years ago. Yet there are still parts of the country and world where they are only seen on punk rockers, vagrants, junkies, convicts, and other people who are not...considered respectable, as it were. Not to say there aren't people who stumble drunkenly into a tattoo shop at 2 AM demanding an Ed Hardy knockoff. And I do think the kanji tats and tribal signs are uninspired and stupid if they do not reflect one's actual heritage. There are impulsive, uncreative people in every segment of society.

                          But I know many awesome and responsible people who have tattoos. Like much fashion, the prominence of tattoos is influenced by music, youth culture, and art. Those of us who grew up listening to or playing rock music (or around other people who did) may be more inclined to get tattoos. Like the people I choose to surround myself with. Even though many of us are now homeowners, involved in community development, etc. Mrs stake has the most of all, and she is a 'manager of special events' and one of the most organized people I know. My boss at work also has a couple.

                          I have a schematic diagram covering my right arm from wrist to shoulder, all the way around. I carefully considered the choice for years before I got it. I might like to have more, but I have other, more important things to spend money on right now. I also don't really know what else I would get. I have an idea or two. I'm not about to go to a parlor and pick something out of the book.


                          Speaking of kanji, I have one tattoo that I regret...

                          Back in a high school, a close friend of mine was killed in a car accident. I came to the conclusion that I should get my first tattoo as a tribute to him.

                          So I think about it and finally I come to the decision that getting the Chinese symbol for 'otter' would be the best way to go. Reason being that he had a weird obsession with otters and also deeply hated Chinese food. Because of this, we had a running joke (one we thought was funny at the time) where we'd go out for Chinese without telling him where we were actually going.

                          I am actually close with an old Chinese lady, so I was able to verify the symbol with her. Still, it's the only one of my tattoos I sorta regret due to being ignorant about the whole kanji fad/thing. At that age, I thought it was A LOT more clever than it really is. Oh well.
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • 1 year 4 months ago
                            • Posts: 1736
                            Ha. I can see why you regret it and that's not something I would want.

                            But I was talking about white Euromericans who are like "this represents who I AM, man" and thinking it's all deep and spiritual because it's an inscrutable symbol that will invite conversation to talk about themselves. To some degree all tattoos do attract attention. It's art, in the best cases, and people want to ask questions...why they do that for tattoos but not for a painting on your wall, I don't know...
                            Doing that on purpose is something I don't understand. It seems narcissistic to me. I'm sure it's very heartfelt for the people who have those. I just can't relate and as I said it looks unoriginal.

                            But that, teasing your dead friend. To remember him. That is a better reason. At least it's more unique than "Peace" or "Strength" or "Warrior".
                            tangspot2 wrote:
                            Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
                            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                              • 1 year 4 months ago
                              • Posts: 1436
                              stake n sheak wrote:
                              Ha. I can see why you regret it and that's not something I would want.

                              But I was talking about white Euromericans who are like "this represents who I AM, man" and thinking it's all deep and spiritual because it's an inscrutable symbol that will invite conversation to talk about themselves. To some degree all tattoos do attract attention. It's art, in the best cases, and people want to ask questions...why they do that for tattoos but not for a painting on your wall, I don't know...
                              Doing that on purpose is something I don't understand. It seems narcissistic to me. I'm sure it's very heartfelt for the people who have those. I just can't relate and as I said it looks unoriginal.

                              But that, teasing your dead friend. To remember him. That is a better reason. At least it's more unique than "Peace" or "Strength" or "Warrior".


                              Yeah, those are the worst. I agree that it's narcissistic. I think it's pretentious as well.

                              In my part of the country (Southeastern U.S.), the barbed wire tattoos are still the big thing. Getting "Tapout" tattooed on some portion of your body also seems to be the "in" thing.
                              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                • 1 year 4 months ago
                                • Posts: 373
                                No tattoos here. I'm not against them, My g/f, brother and most of my friends have them. But I just feel if I like a symbol enough I'll get a t-shirt made with it. And the memory tattoos don't rally mean much to me either. I don't need to be reminded of something that means anything to me and I feel tattoos are just a way to show others what means something to you.
                                The class is Pain 101. Your instructor is Casey Jones.
                                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • 1 year 4 months ago
                                  • Posts: 4549
                                  Nope, I could never find anything I wanted on my body for the rest of my life.
                                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                    • 1 year 4 months ago
                                    • Posts: 2300
                                    • Forum Mod
                                    • Editor
                                    bassman21 wrote:
                                    Nope, I could never find anything I wanted on my body for the rest of my life.


                                    I think that's my whole dilemma with tattoos. They're on for life. People age. A tattoo looks AMAZING on a young person. I'm pretty built, and a tattoo on my shoulder would look great. However, I don't want to be an old man with a young man's mark on me. You don't really see older people all inked up, because as stated earlier, its a relatively newer thing (Getting a lot of tattoo work I mean) and seeing a 80 year old man with full sleeves would be a bit out of the ordinary.

                                    It all boils down to each his own. I appreciate and can see the appeal. Maybe if they make a temporary tattoo that fades in like a year, I'll try one.
                                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                      • 1 year 4 months ago
                                      • Posts: 373
                                      vkimo wrote:
                                      bassman21 wrote:
                                      Nope, I could never find anything I wanted on my body for the rest of my life.



                                      It all boils down to each his own. I appreciate and can see the appeal. Maybe if they make a temporary tattoo that fades in like a year, I'll try one.


                                      When I was in Jr High, all the girls were getting these temporary tattoos called Mendhi's or something like that. It was a brown gel that you used to draw on your skin. Wait for it to harden, scrape it off and then you'd have almost like a tan that was in the shape of what you drew. I think Madonna had them on her hands for a little while.
                                      The class is Pain 101. Your instructor is Casey Jones.
                                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • 1 year 4 months ago
                                        • Posts: 1736
                                        Mendhi is done with henna ink
                                        tangspot2 wrote:
                                        Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
                                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          • 1 year 4 months ago
                                          • Posts: 4549
                                          vkimo wrote:


                                          I think that's my whole dilemma with tattoos. They're on for life. People age. A tattoo looks AMAZING on a young person. I'm pretty built, and a tattoo on my shoulder would look great. However, I don't want to be an old man with a young man's mark on me. You don't really see older people all inked up, because as stated earlier, its a relatively newer thing (Getting a lot of tattoo work I mean) and seeing a 80 year old man with full sleeves would be a bit out of the ordinary.

                                          It all boils down to each his own. I appreciate and can see the appeal. Maybe if they make a temporary tattoo that fades in like a year, I'll try one.

                                          In the older days it was mostly bikers that got them. A friend of mines mom (now in her 60s) has them all over her arms (she used to be a tattooist). My dad (mid 70s) has one of each of his fore arms that he got when he was in the marines in the 50s. Yea they're hard to make out now that they are older.
                                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          Search