• 1 year 4 months ago
    • Posts: 41
    I've heard some people say if you were born later than 1989, you belong to Gen Z/the Google Generation.

    Personally I think that's bunk. I was born in 1990 and while I can only remember a little bit before the "Internet Age" started in 1995, the same could really be said for anyone born after 1985 or so. If you class "childhood" as being ages 3-12 then the vast majority of mine was in the 90s. The real divide between a "digital native" and an "adapter" I'd say would be if the Internet wasn't mainstream until you were say, in high school.

    The Internet wasn't a big part of my childhood until I was 10. Even then, access to it was limited by whenever my parents needed to make a phone call, so I still mostly relied on TV well into the 2000s for my information and entertainment. I wouldn't say the Web "ruled my life" until maybe '04-'05, which was when I really started getting into forums and got my own high speed connection.

    I didn't have a cell phone until I was 19, social networking wasn't popular until my high school years, I had a CD walkman and recorded things off the radio with cassette tapes. I played with Hot Wheels, Yak Baks, tamagotchics and walkie talkies - not iphone apps.

    And I grew up during the Disney Renaissance. We went many years without having cable. I remember back in 1996/97 being so excited when we got it. We even had a crappy old TV where you actually had to turn a dial to change the channel.

    I think people born in the early 90s are pretty old school by today's standards. Especially compared to the middle school kids now born in the late 90s/early 00s. What do you think? I'd even say that if you were before 2000, you should probably count as a millenial. I'd say Gen Y extends from about 1979 to 1999.
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • 1 year 4 months ago
      • Posts: 1706
      Would you say you're "bitter" or "insecure" that you don't count as Generation Y?
      tangspot2 wrote:
      Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • 1 year 4 months ago
        • Posts: 332
        I'm insecure about my bitterness.
        signature The fun doesn't end here. www.retro-daze.com
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • 1 year 4 months ago
          • Posts: 41
          stake n sheak wrote:
          Would you say you're "bitter" or "insecure" that you don't count as Generation Y?


          Well I know for a fact I count as Gen Y (the echo boom peaked in 1990 so there's no question) but sometimes I feel like us 1990ers get the short end of the stick. If I was born in um, 1996 or something at least I could embrace the Gen Zer I'd be and I could feel good bragging to the 2000s babies that I was alive in the 90s.

          As a 1990er though, I know that the 90s wasn't that great. :/ Some people wanna lump us very-early 90s born in with the 15 year olds just because we happen to be born in a 199x year, but I feel much closer to people born in the 80s.
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 1 year 4 months ago
            • Posts: 1706
            Who are these people "lumping you in"?

            The fact that things are classified "Generation Y" "Generation Z" just demonstrates there is no distinct identity applied to these periods. There's nothing unifying there. Which is required. That's WHY there are terms like "Baby Boomers", "Generation X", and "Millenials". People who who study society noted overwhelming trends among a certain age. There isn't anything that's notably strong among the people who fall outside of that or within subsets of that. They simply piggyback to Generation X and like most sequels don't live up to the original.

            Every important author or authority organization who has anything to say about it puts "millenial generation" as those born between latter 70s-1983 and 2000-2004. [The very existence of a lack of complete consensus on even this broad point should illustrate the futility of your question, but] why try to force stratification beyond that? You're trying to get cred? Because you don't like 15 year olds? Too bad. A generation is twenty or thirty years and whining won't change it. If you don't like the kids, don't worry about it. You think everybody who was young in the 50s was a beatnik, everybody who was young in the 70s was a hippie?
            tangspot2 wrote:
            Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • 1 year 4 months ago
              • Posts: 702
              • Globally Banned
              donnie darko wrote:
              I've heard some people say if you were born later than 1989, you belong to Gen Z/the Google Generation.

              Personally I think that's bunk. I was born in 1990 and while I can only remember a little bit before the "Internet Age" started in 1995, the same could really be said for anyone born after 1985 or so. If you class "childhood" as being ages 3-12 then the vast majority of mine was in the 90s. The real divide between a "digital native" and an "adapter" I'd say would be if the Internet wasn't mainstream until you were say, in high school.

              The Internet wasn't a big part of my childhood until I was 10. Even then, access to it was limited by whenever my parents needed to make a phone call, so I still mostly relied on TV well into the 2000s for my information and entertainment. I wouldn't say the Web "ruled my life" until maybe '04-'05, which was when I really started getting into forums and got my own high speed connection.

              I didn't have a cell phone until I was 19, social networking wasn't popular until my high school years, I had a CD walkman and recorded things off the radio with cassette tapes. I played with Hot Wheels, Yak Baks, tamagotchics and walkie talkies - not iphone apps.

              And I grew up during the Disney Renaissance. We went many years without having cable. I remember back in 1996/97 being so excited when we got it. We even had a crappy old TV where you actually had to turn a dial to change the channel.

              I think people born in the early 90s are pretty old school by today's standards. Especially compared to the middle school kids now born in the late 90s/early 00s. What do you think? I'd even say that if you were before 2000, you should probably count as a millenial. I'd say Gen Y extends from about 1979 to 1999.


              I'm proud to be a 90's baby
              Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • 1 year 4 months ago
                • Posts: 4521
                That's right Shake. Not every teen in the 60s/70s was a "hippie". Not every teen in the 80s wore leg warmers or dressed like a "punk". Not every teen in the 90s wore Doc Martins and flannel shirts.

                In actuality each generation had several styles, trends and ways of thinking. The same hold true today. There are asshole and nice people with every generation as well. What tends to happen is unique attributes of a generation tend to sick out more than the ones that stayed the same from the previous. The next generation will stick out in their own way and those groups will probably go against what the previous did.
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • 1 year 4 months ago
                  • Posts: 702
                  • Globally Banned
                  bassman21 wrote:
                  That's right Shake. Not every teen in the 60s/70s was a "hippie". Not every teen in the 80s wore leg warmers or dressed like a "punk". Not every teen in the 90s wore Doc Martins and flannel shirts.

                  In actuality each generation had several styles, trends and ways of thinking. The same hold true today. There are asshole and nice people with every generation as well. What tends to happen is unique attributes of a generation tend to sick out more than the ones that stayed the same from the previous. The next generation will stick out in their own way and those groups will probably go against what the previous did.


                  Could not agree more no matter what we go through in the future we should be proud of the decade we were born in and the effect it has on society and future generations
                  Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  Search
                  Users Online