• 2 years 1 month ago
    • Posts: 41
    Laddersnake wrote:
    donnie darko wrote:
    The first Home Alone began filming in 1989? Anyways I don't think the first Home Alone has a super 80s or 90s vibe, overall it's definitely seen as a 90s thing but I see it somewhat in between myself. It looked very old during the mid/late 90s, the first one anyways.


    Of course it's not really going to have a strong 80s or 90s vibe. It was at least partly filmed at the end of one decade and released at the beginning of another. As you can probably guess, the most 90s-ish films would probably be filmed around 1994 and released around 1995.


    Yeah 1990 isn't super 80s or super 90s. I would say it's maybe 60% 80s, 40% 90s. 1989-90 is more 90s than I once thought though. "Urban" music was already becoming the standard in 1989. 1990 had MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice who while being "cheesy" and sort of 80s nevertheless marked the beginning of rap music being this super mainstream suburban thing. The albums were made in 1989 and for the most part pre-date gangsta rap but it definitely made the popularity of rap over the 23 years hence more possible.

    I think Home Alone was probably filmed mostly in early-mid 1990 though since it came out very late that year. The script was probably written in 1989, though.

    Same with the first season of Blossom. Despite the show starting in mid-1990 the first season or two of the show has a vibe I would describe as being more 80s than 90s, since it was filmed only a few months after the 80s expired from the calendar.

    Also Lizzie McGuire began filming in the year 2000 and I often see teenage kids describing it as a "90s show". It started airing in January 2001 and most of the episodes were made no later than 2002 so I can see how people would think it's 90s if they were only about 5 or whatever in 2001.

    Especially considering very little changed aesthetically between say 1998 and 2003.
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
    • avatar
      • 2 years 1 month ago
      • Posts: 1916
      We can pick and choose little bits out of the zeitgeist to relay our own experiences, but The 1980s actually began on January 1, 1980, and actually ended on December 31, 1989.

      The question is incredibly reductive and has no other answer that can be considered correct.

      Pop culture encompasses music, movies, and television, as well as fashion, comic books, and toys. On top of pop culture, there are more things that define time periods, such as politics, cars, architecture, and food trends. None of these things shifted at the same time.

      To be all-inclusive with this question is not possible.
      tangspot2 wrote:
      Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • avatar
        • 2 years 1 month ago
        • Posts: 18
        stake n sheak wrote:
        We can pick and choose little bits out of the zeitgeist to relay our own experiences, but The 1980s actually began on January 1, 1980, and actually ended on December 31, 1989.

        The question is incredibly reductive and has no other answer that can be considered correct.

        Pop culture encompasses music, movies, and television, as well as fashion, comic books, and toys. On top of pop culture, there are more things that define time periods, such as politics, cars, architecture, and food trends. None of these things shifted at the same time.

        To be all-inclusive with this question is not possible.


        Your comments can be a burden on Retrojunk's shoulders.
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • avatar
          • 2 years 1 month ago
          • Posts: 1916
          Retrojunk_Dentist wrote:
          Your comments can be a burden on Retrojunk's shoulders.

          How do you know this, new member? What familiarity do you have with my comments? Have you been lurking for many moons?

          I feel I made an articulate point, there. If you disagree, I am completely willing to read about why that is or why I am "wrong". Educate me!


          :waits:
          tangspot2 wrote:
          Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • avatar
            • 2 years 1 month ago
            • Posts: 28
            mlauzon wrote:
            IMHO, the '80s -- at least the styles, and music -- ended around '91/'92.


            Agreed, that's my assessment too. To me the 1980's truly started when the USA took the Gold in hockey and it petered out in 1992. I guess it is different for each of us. The 90's to me ended on 9/11 in 2001. The 1970's, I was a kid then, but I think they really started to take their own identity around 1972 or so when the Vietnam War was starting to wind down big time, Watergate started to get legs and people started to chill from the hectic 1960's. Even so, there is overlap, economically, we didn't pull out of the 1970's until about 1982 or so.
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • avatar
              • 2 years 1 month ago
              • Posts: 426
              Retrojunk_Dentist wrote:

              Your comments can be a burden on Retrojunk's shoulders.


              That makes exactly ZERO sense.
              signature The fun doesn't end here. www.retro-daze.com
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • avatar
                • 2 years 1 month ago
                • Posts: 1916
                Perhaps Retrojunk_Dentist meant to write:

                "Your comments can be a burden on Retrojunk_Dentist's shoulders."
                tangspot2 wrote:
                Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • avatar
                  • 2 years 1 month ago
                  • Posts: 289
                  I was born in 1986 so I definitely didn't experience the 80s to its full potential and don't even remember the 80s. However, once I was like 5 and 6 in the early 90s I still enjoyed watching all of these awesome 80s movies for the first time. At that age you really have no sense of time so as far as I was concerned it was still the 80s with all the movies I was watching.
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • avatar
                    • 2 years 1 month ago
                    • Posts: 84
                    • Globally Banned
                    NowhereMan1966 wrote:
                    mlauzon wrote:
                    IMHO, the '80s -- at least the styles, and music -- ended around '91/'92.


                    Agreed, that's my assessment too. To me the 1980's truly started when the USA took the Gold in hockey and it petered out in 1992. I guess it is different for each of us. The 90's to me ended on 9/11 in 2001. The 1970's, I was a kid then, but I think they really started to take their own identity around 1972 or so when the Vietnam War was starting to wind down big time, Watergate started to get legs and people started to chill from the hectic 1960's. Even so, there is overlap, economically, we didn't pull out of the 1970's until about 1982 or so.


                    In some ways, 1992 reminded me a lot of 2007. XD
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    Search