• avatar
    • 2 years 1 month ago
    • Posts: 328
    i would like to know something when is this fourm busy
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
    • avatar
      • 2 years 1 month ago
      • Posts: 1860
      4 years ago
      tangspot2 wrote:
      Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • avatar
        • 2 years 1 month ago
        • Posts: 9999
        When the mods are doing mod stuff.
        thecrow174: Lover of martial arts cinema.
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • avatar
          • 2 years 1 month ago
          • Posts: 328
          i really like it when the fourm is busy
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • avatar
            • 2 years 1 month ago
            • Posts: 1473
            stake n sheak wrote:
            4 years ago


            This, sadly.
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • avatar
              • 2 years 1 month ago
              • Posts: 9999
              Things are certainly heating up around here right now as we speak.
              thecrow174: Lover of martial arts cinema.
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • avatar
                • 2 years 1 month ago
                • Posts: 1860
                :D
                tangspot2 wrote:
                Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • avatar
                  • 2 years 1 month ago
                  • Posts: 4564
                  This sites activity plummeted after the "upgrade". Several long time users left for good. I lost interest in the site too, but decided not to close my account. At the office our internet is restricted and outside of work I have other things going on.

                  I like the way the site is being managed now. The mods are more fair and Caps is doing what Vertex didn't have time to do. We also seem to have a good group of users here. This place at one point was like a high school.

                  I think part of what has slowed things down is the abundance of retro videos on youtube. When I first joined in 2006 there wasn't many places to watch old commercials and TV intros.
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • avatar
                    • 2 years 1 month ago
                    • Posts: 1860
                    Even before the "upgrade", activity here was a lot less than what it used to be. A lot of the older prolific posters were already around less. I agree that youtube could have contributed to this. I miss the old days of the internet, when there were more and smaller sites. Now many people can go to one website for a wealth of info on a very wide range of topics. I kind of hate wikipedia, youtube, amazon, and imdb for this reason. They've taken over. More accurate and comprehensive info is more accessible, but it has undermined a lot of great small communities that had unique perspectives.

                    Geocities imposed some kind of barrier to entry. Meaning that if you had a website, it was probably because you really had something to say. (as stupid or juvenile as it may have been, it was SOMETHING.) Social networking took away those barriers. Now anybody can have a "page" or "profile" but most of them are meaningless. Now the noise ratio is through the roof.

                    And it's kind of sad, but I guess there's only so much you can talk about old stuff.

                    PS: respect and appreciation for all the RJ long-timers who have stuck around.
                    tangspot2 wrote:
                    Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • avatar
                      • 2 years 1 month ago
                      • Posts: 6991
                      Retro Junk filled a niche at the turn of the century that YouTube is fulfilling now, keeping the past alive with music and video.

                      As recently as 2004, the web was hit or miss with content that could be linked to. It's one thing to describe a TV show from 1966 but to be able to link to a YouTube video has changed everything.

                      That's what Retro Junk was good at before. Vertex could not have foreseen how quickly the internet would overtake his efforts. Now we are one of many pathways to the past.
                      The Eldorado is dead. Long live the Eldorado.
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • 2 years 25 days ago
                        • Posts: 74809
                        stake n sheak wrote:
                        And it's kind of sad, but I guess there's only so much you can talk about old stuff.



                        I know that's why I haven't been around as much. Really what can you say about Mario, Sonic, the Ninja Turtles and GI Joe that hasn't been said a billion times already? I'm just at a point in my life where I've just gotten bored talking about crap I watched or played with 20 years ago.
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • avatar
                          • 2 years 24 days ago
                          • Posts: 3807
                          bassman21 wrote:
                          This sites activity plummeted after the "upgrade". Several long time users left for good. I lost interest in the site too, but decided not to close my account. At the office our internet is restricted and outside of work I have other things going on.

                          I like the way the site is being managed now. The mods are more fair and Caps is doing what Vertex didn't have time to do. We also seem to have a good group of users here. This place at one point was like a high school.

                          I think part of what has slowed things down is the abundance of retro videos on youtube. When I first joined in 2006 there wasn't many places to watch old commercials and TV intros.



                          All very good points. I was hoping this site would evolve with the internet and be just as active. Other forums like Reddit and 4Chan are still going strong. Maybe this site should host a collection of retro memes to keep people coming?

                          I tried my best to jump on the RetroJunk Facebook account when Vertex gave it up, but to no avail. :/
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                          Search