• 1 year 6 months ago
    • Posts: 511
    Ok, we have a "Things That Sucked About The 90's" thread...now let's look back at the 1980's. The 1980's overall was my favorite decade, with the early 1980's being my high school years (graduated in 1983), getting my driver's license in 1984 and (believe it or not) my first job, along with passing the torch from adolescence to adulthood in 1985. I currently can't think of a whole lot that sucked about the 1980's, but here are a few events that stand out:
    The Iranian hostage crisis (1980)
    John Lennon's murder (1980)
    My mom passing away (1984)
    Space Shuttle Challenger explosion (1986)
    "Don't Worry, Be Happy" (1988)

    No doubt there are many more, so feel free to add to the list.
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • 1 year 6 months ago
      • Posts: 702
      • Globally Banned
      Timothy1964 wrote:
      Ok, we have a "Things That Sucked About The 90's" thread...now let's look back at the 1980's. The 1980's overall was my favorite decade, with the early 1980's being my high school years (graduated in 1983), getting my driver's license in 1984 and (believe it or not) my first job, along with passing the torch from adolescence to adulthood in 1985. I currently can't think of a whole lot that sucked about the 1980's, but here are a few events that stand out:
      The Iranian hostage crisis (1980)
      John Lennon's murder (1980)
      My mom passing away (1984)
      Space Shuttle Challenger explosion (1986)
      "Don't Worry, Be Happy" (1988)

      No doubt there are many more, so feel free to add to the list.


      Lucielle Ball's death (1989)
      Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • 1 year 6 months ago
        • Posts: 88
        TheMusicdewd18 wrote:
        Things that also sucked about the 80's:

        80's music
        Hair Metal
        Ronald Reagan (Not a big fan of Reagan, Clinton is way better.)

        Cartoons were also overall a lot better in the 90's, than the 80's. Sure you had TMNT, Transformers, G.I Joe, and the Darkwing Duck, but you also had the overrated 80's Alvin and the Chipmunks series, and the overrated 80's Smurfs series.

        The 90's gave us:

        The Simpsons
        Beavis and Butthead
        Ren and Stimpy
        Batman: The Animated Series
        Doug
        X-Men
        Gargoyles
        Rocko's Modern Life
        Animaniacs
        Rugrats
        Pinky and the Brain
        Tiny Toon Adventures

        However there was a lot of great music in the 80's, such as Metal, Punk, The Cure, and of course The Pixies.


        Darkwing Duck was a 90s cartoon my friend. Also the TMNT craze didn't begin until 1990. So really the only cartoons that stood out in the 80s are Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, Thundercats, and Smurfs. Other than those there aren't too many great 80s cartoons. Also Real Ghostbusters was half 80s half 90s, same for Inspector Gadget lol.
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • 1 year 6 months ago
          • Posts: 339
          TheMusicdewd18 wrote:
          Things that also sucked about the 80's:

          Ronald Reagan (Not a big fan of Reagan, Clinton is way better.)


          I must agree. Clinton was a far better actor (I did not have sexual relations with that woman...) - a classic piece of acting.
          signature The fun doesn't end here. www.retro-daze.com
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 1 year 6 months ago
            • Posts: 511
            Ghost of Vapor wrote:
            TheMusicdewd18 wrote:
            Things that also sucked about the 80's:

            Ronald Reagan (Not a big fan of Reagan, Clinton is way better.)


            I must agree. Clinton was a far better actor (I did not have sexual relations with that woman...) - a classic piece of acting.

            Although the 1980's was my favorite decade, the 1990's are a VERY close second, especially the Clinton years (not so much the George H. W. Bush era, even though I do have some fond memories of that period).
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • 1 year 6 months ago
              • Posts: 4528
              A lot of the 70s spilled into the the 80s. A lot of homes wouldn't be updated until the 90s or even 00s. So we still had too look at a lot of wood paneling, harvest yellow bathrooms and olive green kitchens. A lot of modern styles in the 80s were not that great either.
              Hunter Green
              Over use of ceiling fans
              Popcorn ceilings
              Dried flowers
              pastel fabrics and wall paper
              wood laminate

              Some other things I didn't care for
              Cassette tapes
              Tube socks with strips at the top
              Velcro shoes (early 80s)
              Feminist influenced women's business attire
              The trend of women cutting their hair short
              Big over-sized glasses
              Big mustaches on men (usually with big glasses)
              Local commercials and syndicated broadcast were generally poor quality
              Most compact cars were ugly and cheaply mad

              People
              Child abuse was very real, common and tolerated
              Drugs were becoming a real problem
              Crime was rising rapidly
              Oil crash hurt a lot here in TX in 1986
              AIDS was a new problem that worried a lot of people

              I know it seems like I'm hating on the decade, but I loved the 80s. My experiences were not always great, but overall it was a great period of time. As I stated before things were changing rapidly. The early 80s was nothing like the late 80s.
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • 1 year 6 months ago
                • Posts: 511
                I'm not sure if this started in the very late 1980's or early 1990's, but one thing I cannot stand is the "fad" that seems to have lasted to this day...kids/teenagers wearing their (usually baggy) pants around their hips, often with their underwear showing.
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • 1 year 6 months ago
                  • Posts: 373
                  Timothy1964 wrote:
                  I'm not sure if this started in the very late 1980's or early 1990's, but one thing I cannot stand is the "fad" that seems to have lasted to this day...kids/teenagers wearing their (usually baggy) pants around their hips, often with their underwear showing.



                  That was more of a mid to late 90s thing.
                  The class is Pain 101. Your instructor is Casey Jones.
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • 1 year 6 months ago
                    • Posts: 511
                    Casey_Jones wrote:
                    Timothy1964 wrote:
                    I'm not sure if this started in the very late 1980's or early 1990's, but one thing I cannot stand is the "fad" that seems to have lasted to this day...kids/teenagers wearing their (usually baggy) pants around their hips, often with their underwear showing.



                    That was more of a mid to late 90s thing.

                    I remember seeing that at least as far back as 1993...maybe earlier.
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • 1 year 6 months ago
                      • Posts: 6781
                      What sucked about the 80s . . . typewriters.
                      These instruments of torture held on to life far too long.
                      The Eldorado is dead. Long live the Eldorado.
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • 1 year 6 months ago
                        • Posts: 702
                        • Globally Banned
                        eddstarr88 wrote:
                        What sucked about the 80s . . . typewriters.
                        These instruments of torture held on to life far too long.


                        That so
                        Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                          • 1 year 6 months ago
                          • Posts: 2171
                          I'm for sure gonna have to agree with the hair. My mother asked her hair dresser to give me a "Dorothy Hamill" Haircut in like 88. I didn't really know what Dorothy Hamill looked like back then but I knew it would be a shorter haircut (my hair was down nearly to my butt)and was NOT happy about it. Imagine my hysteria when I realized I was being given pretty much a bowl cut. I cried and cried and cried LOL and my mom was very angry with me because I cried AT the Salon and the stylist felt bad, which embarassed my mother. To make matters worse, I had this done at like 8:30am and my mom dropped me off at school directly afterwards. I walked into my third grade classroom during art class and the substitute teacher took one look at me and said "Oh hello there young man, have a seat and i'll get you something to draw with". I wanted to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie.
                          :)
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • 1 year 6 months ago
                            • Posts: 4528
                            Alyssa Branen wrote:
                            I'm for sure gonna have to agree with the hair. My mother asked her hair dresser to give me a "Dorothy Hamill" Haircut in like 88. I didn't really know what Dorothy Hamill looked like back then but I knew it would be a shorter haircut (my hair was down nearly to my butt)and was NOT happy about it. Imagine my hysteria when I realized I was being given pretty much a bowl cut. I cried and cried and cried LOL and my mom was very angry with me because I cried AT the Salon and the stylist felt bad, which embarassed my mother. To make matters worse, I had this done at like 8:30am and my mom dropped me off at school directly afterwards. I walked into my third grade classroom during art class and the substitute teacher took one look at me and said "Oh hello there young man, have a seat and i'll get you something to draw with". I wanted to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie.

                            Wow :(
                            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                              • 1 year 6 months ago
                              • Posts: 380
                              TheMusicdewd18 wrote:
                              Things that also sucked about the 80's:

                              80's music
                              Hair Metal
                              Ronald Reagan (Not a big fan of Reagan, Clinton is way better.)
                              you also had the overrated 80's Alvin and the Chipmunks series.


                              Wow. All that is exactly why I love the 80s.
                              Don't pay any attention to the evil spirited and dead of heart. They're not worth your time.
                              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                • 1 year 6 months ago
                                • Posts: 702
                                • Globally Banned
                                TheMusicdewd18 wrote:
                                CruJonesIsTheMan wrote:
                                TheMusicdewd18 wrote:
                                Things that also sucked about the 80's:

                                80's music
                                Hair Metal
                                Ronald Reagan (Not a big fan of Reagan, Clinton is way better.)
                                you also had the overrated 80's Alvin and the Chipmunks series.


                                Wow. All that is exactly why I love the 80s.


                                You will probably call me a music snob for this, but the 80's were a garbage decade for music. The 60's, 70's, and 90's were all better than the 80's.


                                That's your opinion not mine
                                Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • 1 year 6 months ago
                                  • Posts: 511
                                  retroman wrote:
                                  TheMusicdewd18 wrote:
                                  CruJonesIsTheMan wrote:
                                  TheMusicdewd18 wrote:
                                  Things that also sucked about the 80's:

                                  80's music
                                  Hair Metal
                                  Ronald Reagan (Not a big fan of Reagan, Clinton is way better.)
                                  you also had the overrated 80's Alvin and the Chipmunks series.


                                  Wow. All that is exactly why I love the 80s.


                                  You will probably call me a music snob for this, but the 80's were a garbage decade for music. The 60's, 70's, and 90's were all better than the 80's.


                                  That's your opinion not mine

                                  I'm a huge fan of 1980's music! Heavy metal was at its peak, with the likes of Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, Dokken, Ratt, Motley Crue, Poison, Twisted Sister...just to name a few of the many.
                                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                    • 1 year 6 months ago
                                    • Posts: 702
                                    • Globally Banned
                                    Timothy1964 wrote:
                                    retroman wrote:
                                    TheMusicdewd18 wrote:
                                    CruJonesIsTheMan wrote:
                                    TheMusicdewd18 wrote:
                                    Things that also sucked about the 80's:

                                    80's music
                                    Hair Metal
                                    Ronald Reagan (Not a big fan of Reagan, Clinton is way better.)
                                    you also had the overrated 80's Alvin and the Chipmunks series.


                                    Wow. All that is exactly why I love the 80s.


                                    You will probably call me a music snob for this, but the 80's were a garbage decade for music. The 60's, 70's, and 90's were all better than the 80's.


                                    That's your opinion not mine

                                    I'm a huge fan of 1980's music! Heavy metal was at its peak, with the likes of Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, Dokken, Ratt, Motley Crue, Poison, Twisted Sister...just to name a few of the many.


                                    I'm into love ballads from back then
                                    Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                      • 1 year 6 months ago
                                      • Posts: 467
                                      Hair music I never got into...and younger kids assume we all listened to Poison, Whitesnake, etc c. 1987.

                                      One I cant believe nobody mentioned: infomercials. Man, I so hate them.....

                                      The Yugo.

                                      The Tylenol poisonings. Creeps me out to think they never caught what was multiple people all scheming to murder people at random.

                                      Ronald Reagan? Well, Comparing relative weaknesses/strengths with Bill Clinton would make for an interesting thread on it's own. Personally, I shudder at the thought of Clinton dealing with the Soviet Union.
                                      [code][/code]
                                      [code][/code]
                                      [code][url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.userbars.c
                                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • 1 year 6 months ago
                                        • Posts: 74809
                                        Alyssa Branen wrote:
                                        I'm for sure gonna have to agree with the hair. My mother asked her hair dresser to give me a "Dorothy Hamill" Haircut in like 88. I didn't really know what Dorothy Hamill looked like back then but I knew it would be a shorter haircut (my hair was down nearly to my butt)and was NOT happy about it. Imagine my hysteria when I realized I was being given pretty much a bowl cut. I cried and cried and cried LOL and my mom was very angry with me because I cried AT the Salon and the stylist felt bad, which embarassed my mother. To make matters worse, I had this done at like 8:30am and my mom dropped me off at school directly afterwards. I walked into my third grade classroom during art class and the substitute teacher took one look at me and said "Oh hello there young man, have a seat and i'll get you something to draw with". I wanted to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie.


                                        That's the problem with letting your parents choose your hair style and clothes. The things they think are cool are either really nerdy and not even remotely cool or the last time they they were cool was 20 or 30 years before. Another thing taht sucks well for em personally is this was when cool cars like The Camaro IROC, The Fox Body Mustang, and The Buick Regal Grand National were all brand new and unfortunately being a kid I was too young to drive them.:( Who's going to let a 9 year old drive? Nobody. That's one of the things that sucks about bein' a kid.
                                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          • 1 year 6 months ago
                                          • Posts: 3911
                                          When sex/drugs/rock n roll were real. Oh man those days..
                                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          Search