• 1 year 5 months ago
    • Posts: 6740


    Here we go gang. Time for another take of L. Frank Baum's masterwork, stories from the land of OZ.

    Disney's new film is called "OZ the Great and Powerful" and reveals the origin of the Wizard character via his journey from Kansas to the Land of Oz.

    Many of you already know that MGM's 1939 masterpiece musical fantasy "The Wizard of OZ" is not universally loved. There have been many critics over the decades that felt the MGM movie never captured the full awe of the Land of Oz. For L. Frank Baum, Oz was a whole new world of imagination and his stories may be more than any single film can deal with.

    For movie-makers the real challenge of OZ is always what to leave out cuz there's no way anyone can tell it all. And I think it's well past time that a new vision of Oz be created for this new century.

    Disney Oz website...

    The Eldorado is dead. Long live the Eldorado.
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • 1 year 5 months ago
      • Posts: 9573
      I'd like to see how it all started. I'd rather see the origin of Wizard of Oz than a remake.
      There is a battle between two wolves inside us all.

      One is evil and the other one is good. Which wolf will win? The one you feed the most.

      http://unbelievableyou.com/a-native-american-cherokee-story-two-wolves/
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • 1 year 5 months ago
        • Posts: 6740
        That's how I feel. There are so many aspects to the entire collection of Oz stories that have never really been explored on film. It's like MGM's 1939 musical has a hammerlock on the Oz franchise. My generation really needs to look beyond that old musical and it's limited scale as to the true nature of the Land of Oz.
        The Eldorado is dead. Long live the Eldorado.
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • 1 year 5 months ago
          • Posts: 702
          • Globally Banned
          eddstarr88 wrote:


          Here we go gang. Time for another take of L. Frank Baum's masterwork, stories from the land of OZ.

          Disney's new film is called "OZ the Great and Powerful" and reveals the origin of the Wizard character via his journey from Kansas to the Land of Oz.

          Many of you already know that MGM's 1939 masterpiece musical fantasy "The Wizard of OZ" is not universally loved. There have been many critics over the decades that felt the MGM movie never captured the full awe of the Land of Oz. For L. Frank Baum, Oz was a whole new world of imagination and his stories may be more than any single film can deal with.

          For movie-makers the real challenge of OZ is always what to leave out cuz there's no way anyone can tell it all. And I think it's well past time that a new vision of Oz be created for this new century.

          Disney Oz website...



          I'm looking forward to seeing the new OZ at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood on Saturday. The Wizard of OZ was not one of my favs as a kid but I still am looking forward to this one
          Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 1 year 5 months ago
            • Posts: 702
            • Globally Banned
            thecrow174 wrote:
            I'd like to see how it all started. I'd rather see the origin of Wizard of Oz than a remake.


            Me too
            Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • 1 year 5 months ago
              • Posts: 1694
              I might actually go to the theater for this one. The last time that happened was Iron Man 2. Ultimately, reception from the critics I trust will dictate my decision, but for now I am excited about this movie.
              tangspot2 wrote:
              Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • 1 year 5 months ago
                • Posts: 702
                • Globally Banned
                stake n sheak wrote:
                I might actually go to the theater for this one. The last time that happened was Iron Man 2. Ultimately, reception from the critics I trust will dictate my decision, but for now I am excited about this movie.


                Why have you not gone to the theatre for the past 3 years
                Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • 1 year 5 months ago
                  • Posts: 1694
                  retroman wrote:
                  Why have you not gone to the theatre for the past 3 years

                  Because there haven't been any movies out that I felt were worth the cost, that I would appreciate on the big screen more than at home where I can drink & smoke & pause at my leisure and have better popcorn for free. Basically a movie has to be really awesome for me to spend $20+ just to see it.
                  tangspot2 wrote:
                  Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • 1 year 5 months ago
                    • Posts: 702
                    • Globally Banned
                    stake n sheak wrote:
                    retroman wrote:
                    Why have you not gone to the theatre for the past 3 years

                    Because there haven't been any movies out that I felt were worth the cost, that I would appreciate on the big screen more than at home where I can drink & smoke & pause at my leisure and have better popcorn for free. Basically a movie has to be really awesome for me to spend $20+ just to see it.


                    That's okay i try to go to the movies once or twice a month and save money on a movie I'm sure to enjoy as much as my friends or relatives
                    Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • 1 year 5 months ago
                      • Posts: 6740
                      I plan all theater visits like a military campaign. When I take my seat I don't move until the film is over. And that takes planning when you're past 50 and heading for 60 like I am.
                      The Eldorado is dead. Long live the Eldorado.
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • 1 year 5 months ago
                        • Posts: 9573
                        I hardly take visits to the local Carmike theater anymore. The last movie I saw there was We Bought a Zoo.
                        There is a battle between two wolves inside us all.

                        One is evil and the other one is good. Which wolf will win? The one you feed the most.

                        http://unbelievableyou.com/a-native-american-cherokee-story-two-wolves/
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                          • 1 year 5 months ago
                          • Posts: 702
                          • Globally Banned
                          eddstarr88 wrote:
                          I plan all theater visits like a military campaign. When I take my seat I don't move until the film is over. And that takes planning when you're past 50 and heading for 60 like I am.

                          Poor thing
                          Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • 1 year 5 months ago
                            • Posts: 6740
                            As a kid I always found the wizard to be the least interesting character from the 1939 musical. But much later I realized that he was the link for Dorothy to get back home.



                            As "Professor Marvel", Frank Morgan showed the wizard to be a lovable rogue, a carnival huckster with a heart. But this only made sense to me when I got older. As a kid I was struck by the wizard's avatar.

                            This has to be one of the greatest avatars in film history.

                            The Eldorado is dead. Long live the Eldorado.
                            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                              • 1 year 5 months ago
                              • Posts: 702
                              • Globally Banned
                              eddstarr88 wrote:
                              As a kid I always found the wizard to be the least interesting character from the 1939 musical. But much later I realized that he was the link for Dorothy to get back home.



                              As "Professor Marvel", Frank Morgan showed the wizard to be a lovable rogue, a carnival huckster with a heart. But this only made sense to me when I got older. As a kid I was struck by the wizard's avatar.

                              This has to be one of the greatest avatars in film history.



                              The real wonderful things he does will finally be revealed this weekend
                              Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                • 1 year 5 months ago
                                • Posts: 1367
                                Going to see it tomorrow night, 1st movie in theaters this year that looks good!

                                *spoilers- a house is gonna come crashing down on someone lol
                                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • 1 year 5 months ago
                                  • Posts: 702
                                  • Globally Banned
                                  Echidna64 wrote:
                                  Going to see it tomorrow night, 1st movie in theaters this year that looks good!

                                  *spoilers- a house is gonna come crashing down on someone lol


                                  3rd this year
                                  Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                    • 1 year 5 months ago
                                    • Posts: 702
                                    • Globally Banned
                                    Echidna64 wrote:
                                    Going to see it tomorrow night, 1st movie in theaters this year that looks good!

                                    *spoilers- a house is gonna come crashing down on someone lol


                                    For me
                                    Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                      • 1 year 5 months ago
                                      • Posts: 24
                                      I'm hesitant to see it. It might be a good film for some, but I watched the trailer and it appears that something is missing from it that the original one included all over. I think I'll stick to the original Wizard of Oz.
                                      90's shows and movies are awesome
                                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • 1 year 5 months ago
                                        • Posts: 702
                                        • Globally Banned
                                        Rachel5 wrote:
                                        I'm hesitant to see it. It might be a good film for some, but I watched the trailer and it appears that something is missing from it that the original one included all over. I think I'll stick to the original Wizard of Oz.

                                        I am not sticking to the original
                                        Hoping to explore pop culture from the 20th Century with you
                                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          • 1 year 5 months ago
                                          • Posts: 24
                                          That's fine, but I am.
                                          90's shows and movies are awesome
                                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          Search