• 2 years 8 months ago
    • Posts: 4550
    Guild_Navigator wrote:
    Screw dat,8-Tracks are the ones that need to come back!




    Yes! I like them better than cassettes. BTW I have this 8 track. :P
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • 2 years 8 months ago
      • Posts: 2009
      While we're at it,why not bring back wax cylinders?

      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • 2 years 8 months ago
        • Posts: 2314
        • Forum Mod
        • Editor
        VHS could come back in a collector's sense. No way in a commercial manner. Personally, I'd love to start collecting Laser Disc.
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • 2 years 8 months ago
          • Posts: 1192
          It's highly HIGHLY unlikely that VHS will make a come back. Sales for them were going really down once DVDs were coming up, now DVDs are becoming the "outdated" format, while Blu-Rays are becoming the norm, making VHS even more outdated.

          So yeah, a VHS comeback AIN'T HAPPENING.
          signature My tattoo....
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 2 years 8 months ago
            • Posts: 1766
            Wow, well I'm glad you enjoyed it yellow_sub. Good luck with your acquisition of gear and your projects!
            tangspot2 wrote:
            Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • 2 years 8 months ago
              • Posts: 690
              stake_n_sheak wrote:
              yellow_submarine wrote:
              Actually, I'm surprised there's not more of a retro-VHS scene for nostalgiac indie filmmakers. Like a lot of underground bands are releasing cassette tapes, because of...not sure why, other than it's relatively cheap still. It would just make sense.

              Especially at the height of blurry, found-footage movies and shows like Tim & Eric utilizing the look and feel of VHS.

              That might have been an offhand comment, but this is a deep subject for me, so please excuse the wall of text I unleash here. I'm sure I touch a lot of anecdotal areas, too, but I'm going by what I really see.

              First, I'd like to see that, myself. I'd get involved, even. I actually have a project on board right now that I would like to release on videotape but I probably won't because I doubt the presence of any demand. I hope I'm wrong...I might do it anyway, in a limited run, and see what happens.

              Some bands like audio tapes because you can do it with no resources. It's like the opposite of having a label. Music can be recorded live or with a 4-track, or taken from any source easily to go on to tape. The consumer equipment was made for duplicating. And it works as a medium for release because lots of people still have players. They fit in the stack of audio gear with your record player, CD player, receiver.

              There is also a backlash among musicians against CDs. CDs don't get respect. They are put in binders and the cases get ditched. They are copied, scratched, left on the table bare. They gave us the ability of easy ripping, and hurt the market for musicians to sell music. We have digital sales now which has got some of it back, but torrents irrevocably damaged people's overall willingness to pay for music. Many have turned to records, which are less easily copied, and more importantly, provide a large canvas on which to present beautiful artwork to accompany the music. Records also demand attention and enforce a ritual, since most players need to be stopped when the needle reaches the end of a side. I think that tapes, as another analog medium, have followed from that inhibition on copying, and they are way cheaper than getting records pressed. Making tapes is something anybody can do in their home.

              Now for VHS, we exist in a completely different space. Making copies is cumbersome, because your typical player/recorder doesn't have the ability by itself. Players are cheap, tapes are cheap, even cameras can be had cheap. But video has to be edited. One long continuous take is easily boring, editing "in camera" makes artifacts. A VHS editing setup is still extremely expensive, not to mention has many parts, at least one of which is likely broken even if you spent a lot of money on it. Sima and Videonics made some consumer gear, but most setups were pretty high end from the stance of today's market, even if they were revolutionary in bringing cost down for independent artists in the 70s and 80s. If you edit in a computer, the easiest way to get the stuff out if it is to DVD.

              Fewer people kept the VCR around, because space is generally more limited in front of the TV and marketing. CDs and tapes coexisted for a long time. DVDs and VHS didn't, and the quality difference was used for a big push to get people to rebuy all their stuff.

              Finally, lest one think I'm biased, I actually still have VCRs (to go with all the old cameras I have), and I do not have a cassette tape player, because my last one got destroyed when I moved. But I want to get one again.


              1. Thank you for responding w/ such a lengthy (and respective) post.
              2. I love the fact that bands do cassette releases. I've recorded hours worth of stuff on a Fostex 4-track tape recorder. So easy to use. In fact, I've been craigslisting for a pair of them so me and my buddy can record on our own time and swap the results.
              3. I've also done a fair amount of filming/in-camera editing with a vhs camcorder. It's more time consuming, but I think a more characteristic approach. We still have a VCR/DVD combo (the dvd player broke long ago, but it still plays tapes) and probably once a year, I pull out some flicks to watch.
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • 2 years 8 months ago
                • Posts: 2009
                Screw dat,8-Tracks are the ones that need to come back!



                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • 2 years 8 months ago
                  • Posts: 710
                  I still have some VHS tapes of movies that are not available on dvd. I just bought a new LG combo VHS/DVD player about 2 months ago, as my old video player broke.
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • 2 years 8 months ago
                    • Posts: 1235
                    On a related note, there's an old toy camera that people are apparently using to make "artistic" videos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PXL-2000

                    Personally, I'd like to see a resurgence of VCDs and MovieCDs.
                    The original VCD era never really hit around here, but my DVD recorders use VCD format for the 8hr recording option, and I find the results rather pleasant, akin to the gritty feel of the original star wars films (before lucas "new & improved" them).
                    MovieCDs is something I've only read about on the web, but it looks like it would have been good. The description of the motionpixels codec's results sound infinitely better than the blocky digital crap we're all used to, much more like analog video. I wish we could get some new codec based on the same techniques. (The motionpixels one is apparently still around, but riddled with major bugs.)
                    signature*WARNING: The above post may be highly opinionated, read at your own risk.

                    Gee Caspah, you're a twicky one!
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • 2 years 8 months ago
                      • Posts: 1766
                      yellow_submarine wrote:
                      Actually, I'm surprised there's not more of a retro-VHS scene for nostalgiac indie filmmakers. Like a lot of underground bands are releasing cassette tapes, because of...not sure why, other than it's relatively cheap still. It would just make sense.

                      Especially at the height of blurry, found-footage movies and shows like Tim & Eric utilizing the look and feel of VHS.

                      That might have been an offhand comment, but this is a deep subject for me, so please excuse the wall of text I unleash here. I'm sure I touch a lot of anecdotal areas, too, but I'm going by what I really see.

                      First, I'd like to see that, myself. I'd get involved, even. I actually have a project on board right now that I would like to release on videotape but I probably won't because I doubt the presence of any demand. I hope I'm wrong...I might do it anyway, in a limited run, and see what happens.

                      Some bands like audio tapes because you can do it with no resources. It's like the opposite of having a label. Music can be recorded live or with a 4-track, or taken from any source easily to go on to tape. The consumer equipment was made for duplicating. And it works as a medium for release because lots of people still have players. They fit in the stack of audio gear with your record player, CD player, receiver.

                      There is also a backlash among musicians against CDs. CDs don't get respect. They are put in binders and the cases get ditched. They are copied, scratched, left on the table bare. They gave us the ability of easy ripping, and hurt the market for musicians to sell music. We have digital sales now which has got some of it back, but torrents irrevocably damaged people's overall willingness to pay for music. Many have turned to records, which are less easily copied, and more importantly, provide a large canvas on which to present beautiful artwork to accompany the music. Records also demand attention and enforce a ritual, since most players need to be stopped when the needle reaches the end of a side. I think that tapes, as another analog medium, have followed from that inhibition on copying, and they are way cheaper than getting records pressed. Making tapes is something anybody can do in their home.

                      Now for VHS, we exist in a completely different space. Making copies is cumbersome, because your typical player/recorder doesn't have the ability by itself. Players are cheap, tapes are cheap, even cameras can be had cheap. But video has to be edited. One long continuous take is easily boring, editing "in camera" makes artifacts. A VHS editing setup is still extremely expensive, not to mention has many parts, at least one of which is likely broken even if you spent a lot of money on it. Sima and Videonics made some consumer gear, but most setups were pretty high end from the stance of today's market, even if they were revolutionary in bringing cost down for independent artists in the 70s and 80s. If you edit in a computer, the easiest way to get the stuff out if it is to DVD.

                      Fewer people kept the VCR around, because space is generally more limited in front of the TV and marketing. CDs and tapes coexisted for a long time. DVDs and VHS didn't, and the quality difference was used for a big push to get people to rebuy all their stuff.

                      Finally, lest one think I'm biased, I actually still have VCRs (to go with all the old cameras I have), and I do not have a cassette tape player, because my last one got destroyed when I moved. But I want to get one again.
                      tangspot2 wrote:
                      Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • 2 years 8 months ago
                        • Posts: 608
                        I will love to see more movies on VHS......
                        signature Scorpion WINS!

                        FATALITY
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                          • 2 years 8 months ago
                          • Posts: 690
                          Bring back typewriters!!

                          Actually, I'm surprised there's not more of a retro-VHS scene for nostalgiac indie filmmakers. Like a lot of underground bands are releasing cassette tapes, because of...not sure why, other than it's relatively cheap still. It would just make sense.

                          Especially at the height of blurry, found-footage movies and shows like Tim & Eric utilizing the look and feel of VHS.
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • 2 years 8 months ago
                            • Posts: 1766
                            thecrow174 wrote:
                            darthmunk wrote:
                            ^ What's weird though is that they cost way more to make.

                            Really?
                            A DVD is just a piece of plastic with a coating of dye and a coating of protection. A tape has moving parts, screws, and 240 feet of tape.
                            tangspot2 wrote:
                            Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
                            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                              • 2 years 8 months ago
                              • Posts: 1235
                              @jitteryjewel, "Transfering vhs/dvd media to digital is way faster and easier..." : Converting VHS to -any- other format takes an eternity. With it being analog, it has to be converted at normal speed (2hrs for a 2hr movie, 8hrs for a fully loaded 8hr tape, etc), there's no getting around that. (Likewise converting anything -to- VHS takes an eternity. Any time VHS is involved, you're screwed.)


                              @yhaz: Crow might be talking about prerecorded ones. Also, rewritable DVDs are significantly more expensive than plain recordables, and since blank VHS tapes are rewritable, they are best compared in price to the rewritable DVDs.


                              @funguy: Fox and their fucking football pisses me off for exactly the same reason. It -always- runs about 30mins beyond the scheduled time, but they're too damned stupid to realize that & make allowances. What pisses me off even more though is that they go ahead & show the postgame crap, even when the game itself ran too long. The whole concept of the show telling you what you supposedly just got done watching is retarded to begin with, then to go ahead & have it when the game itself ran over is just wrong on every level.
                              signature*WARNING: The above post may be highly opinionated, read at your own risk.

                              Gee Caspah, you're a twicky one!
                              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                • 2 years 8 months ago
                                • Posts: 1368
                                Watch E.T. on VHS and you'll come running to dvd
                                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • 2 years 8 months ago
                                  • Posts: 511
                                  Pie_In_The_Sky wrote:
                                  NO.
                                  The only thing good about it is the nostalgia radiating from it.
                                  VHS is done.

                                  I have a lot of VHS tapes that I don't plan to get rid of anytime soon, even though most of them I've dubbed to DVD's. Just as you said, I sometimes watch my VHS tapes, just like I still listen to vinyl records and cassettes, for nostalgia and to reflect on my younger years when those formats were "state-of-the-art". I'm a huge fan of just about everything 1980's, which was when VHS was at its prime.
                                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                    • 2 years 8 months ago
                                    • Posts: 9781
                                    darthmunk wrote:
                                    ^ What's weird though is that they cost way more to make.

                                    Really?
                                    There is a battle between two wolves inside us all.

                                    One is evil and the other one is good. Which wolf will win? The one you feed the most.

                                    http://unbelievableyou.com/a-native-american-cherokee-story-two-wolves/
                                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                      • 2 years 8 months ago
                                      • Posts: 210
                                      NO.
                                      The only thing good about it is the nostalgia radiating from it.
                                      VHS is done.
                                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • 2 years 8 months ago
                                        • Posts: 714
                                        VHS tapes are still widely avalible because it is an inexpensive and easy-to-use format. Some total TV nerds still like watching an old recording in that slightly degraded quality. I did purchase a Magnavox VCR/DVD Combo from Walmart in june of 2010 and it can redord VHS and DVD as well as dub between them. It does not have a built in tuner so I did have to find one of those old cable boxes to hook up to it to change channels. Though I generally use DVD to record with it, I sometimes use VHS for certain things, such as recording off of Fox because I cannot trust them to start thier program on time with all these sports. One time I had it set for recording Cops on VHS and turns out the football game that was before ran over-very over. I wound up recording the last 15 minutes of the game and the postgame show and the last 10 minutes is when Cops actually came on. Had that been a DVD I would have to have thrown it away because I didn't record what I wanted but since it was a VHS I just rewound it and could record over it.
                                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          • 2 years 8 months ago
                                          • Posts: 131
                                          thecrow174 wrote:
                                          The thing I liked best about video cassettes is that they were less expensive than DVDs.


                                          I just got 50 DVD-R's for $7.99 I don't recall ever being able to buy that many VHS tapes for 8 bucks.
                                          "What" ain't no country I've ever heard of. They speak English in What?
                                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          Search