• avatar
    • 3 years 1 month ago
    • Posts: 826
    Ahhh the observation of an 8 year old reflecting on their time as a 5 year old...
    [quote]In my final meeting with the gods from the heavens above, as they spoke to me and hit me with the power of the Ultimate Warrior, they told me Exit stage left! Exit stage rig
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
    • avatar
      • 3 years 1 month ago
      • Posts: 578
      P.S. I'm not here for the nostalgia. Just to discuss the older stuff in my house.
      I'm a nut for retro technology for some reason.

      Also, you are right in the way that a lot of pop culture hasn't changed since 1998ish. Look back and you'll see tons of people screaming over teen pop idols.
      Look today and you'll see a lot of people doing the same. The only differences are the autotune abuse of today.
      signature
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • avatar
        • 3 years 1 month ago
        • Posts: 210
        I think all the 80s and below people are jealous that they didn't have the internet to search for shit and relive their childhood from an earlier age. You can be nostalgic as a teenager, in fact that's pretty much when it starts.

        If you're from the early 2000s no matter how much you age people here are gonna tell you that it's not retro until they're blue in the face. Simply because they weren't kids then and therefore too fucking old to realize it. It's really sad lol.
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • avatar
          • 3 years 1 month ago
          • Posts: 1877
          ]
          Pie_In_The_Sky wrote:
          I think all the 80s and below people are jealous that they didn't have the internet to search for shit and relive their childhood from an earlier age. You can be nostalgic as a teenager, in fact that's pretty much when it starts.

          If you're from the early 2000s no matter how much you age people here are gonna tell you that it's not retro until they're blue in the face. Simply because they weren't kids then and therefore too fucking old to realize it. It's really sad lol.
          lmao, no
          tangspot2 wrote:
          Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • avatar
            • 3 years 1 month ago
            • Posts: 210
            stake_n_sheak wrote:
            ]
            Pie_In_The_Sky wrote:
            I think all the 80s and below people are jealous that they didn't have the internet to search for shit and relive their childhood from an earlier age. You can be nostalgic as a teenager, in fact that's pretty much when it starts.

            If you're from the early 2000s no matter how much you age people here are gonna tell you that it's not retro until they're blue in the face. Simply because they weren't kids then and therefore too fucking old to realize it. It's really sad lol.
            lmao, no

            lmao yes
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • avatar
              • 3 years 1 month ago
              • Posts: 1877
              Pie_In_The_Sky wrote:
              lmao yes
              :roll: No, I'm not jealous that I didn't have the internet to search for shit and relive my childhood from an earlier age. That's stupid. And it wouldn't be healthy. A teenager should be pushing boundaries and figuring out who they want to be. It's an important part of sociological development. Moping about pokemon and squarebob two years after they went off the air is not. You also need time between experiencing something and reminiscing about it so when you're an adult you can have a different point of view on it. You should say "wasn't ben 10 great?" after exploring the world beyond your parents' basement. If you never stopped watching it and reading wikipaedia about it, you have no filter.
              tangspot2 wrote:
              Mrs. stake you say some nasty on my threads. Dirty bitch
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • 2 years 2 months ago
                • Posts: 134
                • Globally Banned
                15 years seems to be the technical rule that people use although 1999 is accepted because it is part of the '90s which is otherwise 15 years ago. While it is true that 2009 is only four years ago, 2000 is thirteen years ago and to be honest I cannot think of a better example of a decade's first and last years between such different worlds from each other. Some people have claimed that 1990 and 1999 were world apart, but not compared to 2000 and 2009.
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • 2 years 2 months ago
                  • Posts: 74
                  It depends on the topic. Some things in 2000 seem older than others. For instance, people don't view the game cube as retro yet, but they would consider a N64 game from the same time retro. Plus, as the people who view this site get older, so do the younger people who view it as well. There's a growing group out there that grew up mainly during the 2000's.

                  On the other hand, I consider 2001 a cutting off point to modern day. As 2001 seems to be when our culture shifted for better or worse. This can be blamed on a few things, but I'd say 9/11 is mainly responsible. Once that happened, it kind of snapped us all back to reality and things changed.

                  Basically, I'm of the opinion that retro is relative. Strictly policing the retrocity of content is beginning to be baseless and more subjective. The users should be more of a judge about what's retro.

                  A good example: Is The Lord of the Rings (movies) retro?

                  It started in early 2000, but ended in 2003-2004, and still is going on today with the Hobbit. It's the most updated version of the material, but yet it was shot over 10 years ago.

                  In my opinion, if you are under 18. You are probably too young to consider something retro (unless it's retro in regard to your parents).
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • 2 years 2 months ago
                    • Posts: 134
                    • Globally Banned
                    daash wrote:
                    It depends on the topic. Some things in 2000 seem older than others. For instance, people don't view the game cube as retro yet, but they would consider a N64 game from the same time retro. Plus, as the people who view this site get older, so do the younger people who view it as well. There's a growing group out there that grew up mainly during the 2000's.

                    On the other hand, I consider 2001 a cutting off point to modern day. As 2001 seems to be when our culture shifted for better or worse. This can be blamed on a few things, but I'd say 9/11 is mainly responsible. Once that happened, it kind of snapped us all back to reality and things changed.

                    Basically, I'm of the opinion that retro is relative. Strictly policing the retrocity of content is beginning to be baseless and more subjective. The users should be more of a judge about what's retro.

                    A good example: Is The Lord of the Rings (movies) retro?

                    It started in early 2000, but ended in 2003-2004, and still is going on today with the Hobbit. It's the most updated version of the material, but yet it was shot over 10 years ago.

                    In my opinion, if you are under 18. You are probably too young to consider something retro (unless it's retro in regard to your parents).


                    But then you could say that even though Star Wars dates back to the seventies, it isn't retro because one of the movies came out around 2005.

                    I good rule of thumb could be: Can the Class of 2013 remember it being new?

                    If not, it's retro.
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    Search