• 9 years 4 months ago
    • Posts: 74809
    First of all, this has nothing to do with toys or cartoons or nostalgia. This is also not specific to this forum. It may seem a bit petty since this is the internet and the internet is very casual in terms of grammar and such, and there is of course such a thing as "typos", but...

    "There, their and they're":
    These are three different words with three different meanings.

    "There" most often denotes a location.
    (*ie: "When I removed your bra I threw it up there on the ceiling fan.";)

    "Their" is used to show possession.
    (*ie: "When those cheerleaders got drunk at my place, they stripped out of their clothes right in front of me!";)

    "They're". This a contraction of "they are" and is used to express a quality or action.
    (*ie: "Her breasts are saggy so they're not very attractive. Especially when they're flapping in the wind like that.";)

    Far too often online these words are used in an interchangeable way and it just drives me nuts. It also bugs me when people mix up "your" and "you're". But maybe the "their" and "they're" examples above will help someone out with those.

    Again, sorry if this seems petty but I have a grammar-obsessed mother and I had a dictator of an english teacher in high school (same teacher for 10th, 11th and 12th grade! They just kept sticking me in her class.) I just really needed to get this out. If you read this far...thanks.
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • 9 years 4 months ago
      • Posts: 1553
      • Account Disabled
      Amen.
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • 9 years 4 months ago
        • Posts: 74809
        gah! I know how you feel! Your and You're, It's and Its'. I can't stand when people constantly do that.
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • 9 years 4 months ago
          • Posts: 74809
          well, though i totally agree with you 100%, i can't stand when people dont know how to use words, or spell them for that matter. still...we're not in high school anymore. we're not being graded. if i want to type everything i have to say in one paragraph, you have the option to NOT read it. if i dont want to capitalize "i" when i'm speaking in first person, i have that right. just as you have the right, to not read it. simple as that.


          ps-i hear your gripe though, dont get me wrong.
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 9 years 4 months ago
            • Posts: 74809
            P.S.: I also HATE the statement, "I talk English good." Most often heard on Jerry Springer and the like.
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • 9 years 4 months ago
              • Posts: 74809
              =0) I know what you mean. Their so ignorant. (lol I used a pun.)
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • 9 years 4 months ago
                • Posts: 74809
                i feel your pain.

                personally, i try not to place too much stock in grammar and spelling of others, seeing that there is a possibility that for some participants, english is not their mother tongue.
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • 9 years 4 months ago
                  • Posts: 153
                  Luke Warm wrote:
                  First of all, this has nothing to do with toys or cartoons or nostalgia. This is also not specific to this forum. It may seem a bit petty since this is the internet and the internet is very casual in terms of grammar and such, and there is of course such a thing as "typos", but...

                  "There, their and they're":
                  These are three different words with three different meanings.

                  "There" most often denotes a location.
                  (*ie: "When I removed your bra I threw it up there on the ceiling fan.";)

                  "Their" is used to show possession.
                  (*ie: "When those cheerleaders got drunk at my place, they stripped out of their clothes right in front of me!";)

                  "They're". This a contraction of "they are" and is used to express a quality or action.
                  (*ie: "Her breasts are saggy so they're not very attractive. Especially when they're flapping in the wind like that.";)

                  Far too often online these words are used in an interchangeable way and it just drives me nuts. It also bugs me when people mix up "your" and "you're". But maybe the "their" and "they're" examples above will help someone out with those.

                  Again, sorry if this seems petty but I have a grammar-obsessed mother and I had a dictator of an english teacher in high school (same teacher for 10th, 11th and 12th grade! They just kept sticking me in her class.) I just really needed to get this out. If you read this far...thanks.


                  And don't forget THE spelled as TEH. It's only three letters. You gotta proofread.
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • 9 years 4 months ago
                    • Posts: 1553
                    • Account Disabled
                    And while we're at it, I have to bitch about the word 'pwn3d'. That just annoys the hell out of me.
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • 9 years 4 months ago
                      • Posts: 581
                      I personally dont like using lol, rofl, lmao, or any other strange internet talk. I actually the type the way I talk and I have never once said "laugh out loud". But I'm not dissin anyone who uses it, I'm just griping like everyone else on this thread.
                      WHAT?
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • 8 years 11 months ago
                        • Posts: 1250
                        Jason43 wrote:
                        And while we're at it, I have to bitch about the word 'pwn3d'. That just annoys the hell out of me.


                        Thank you! Now I know I'm not alone.
                        Who Want's some BLOGna!!?
                        http://spacemanmonster.blogspot.com/
                        Did you know they'll make a game show out of..
                        http://tmgsoo.blogspot.com/
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                          • 8 years 11 months ago
                          • Posts: 2713
                          • Globally Banned
                          Jason43 wrote:
                          And while we're at it, I have to bitch about the word 'pwn3d'. That just annoys the hell out of me.


                          All of that so-called 'H4X0R' speak is queer as hell. No real hackers use that crap....it was created by script kiddies.
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • 8 years 11 months ago
                            • Posts: 4312
                            • Account Disabled
                            You guys sure are easily annoyed by stuff. They're just words on the screen. As long as you understand what they are saying, then what difference does it make?
                            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                              • 8 years 11 months ago
                              • Posts: 1132
                              had to do it... :lol:

                              Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
                              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                • 8 years 11 months ago
                                • Posts: 4312
                                • Account Disabled
                                Mystie wrote:
                                had to do it... :lol:

                                Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.


                                ...vrey itnrsetnig, i cmopelty unrdsootd waht yuo wroet.
                                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • 8 years 11 months ago
                                  • Posts: 74809
                                  Hmm, okey dokey smokey. I understand what you're saying, constant typos annoy me, but a couple here and there are ok. BUT this is the net, so I guess people just don't really care, since like stated before you're not getting a grade for a grammatically correct post. Anywho, just thought I'd put in my two cents 8) .
                                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                    • 8 years 11 months ago
                                    • Posts: 1132
                                    I first saw it on the wall in my 9th grade English class, and for some reason they have it posted in the bathroom at the arcade I work at.
                                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                      • 8 years 11 months ago
                                      • Posts: 74809
                                      Jason43 wrote:
                                      And while we're at it, I have to bitch about the word 'pwn3d'. That just annoys the hell out of me.

                                      What does it mean? I was trained in proper English, so stuff like this confuses me. Please help, actualy I think If I used any of those words I would be disowned by my friends.( and on this forum i write like a non educated person and still some people are worse than I am). When writting this I was under the influnce of a liquid substance, so I propbly made alot of errors.
                                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • 8 years 11 months ago
                                        • Posts: 74809
                                        MattNash wrote:
                                        Mystie wrote:
                                        had to do it... :lol:

                                        Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.


                                        ...vrey itnrsetnig, i cmopelty unrdsootd waht yuo wroet.

                                        Sadly, because I have to deal with it daily, so did I :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
                                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          • 8 years 11 months ago
                                          • Posts: 1132
                                          nachtjager wrote:
                                          I done know me some proper english now, ya hear? I never thought the arcade the would be so educational- let alone in the bathroom


                                          Yeah sometimes I actually learn things there. It's not all screaming at kids to get the hell off the skee ball machines, you know.
                                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          Search
                                          Users Online