• avatar
    • 5 years 11 months ago
    • Posts: 83
    Okay, I want to make a little clarrification on some things that went on in my latest article. Apparantley people have been downvoting it for ridiculous reasons. Now, just to let you know, this is not another one of my anti-professional whining threads. I'm simply doing this just for fun. And I think it's a better way for me to get my point across.

    First off, I want to get a point across on "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" First of all, I found out that there is something I left off on that portion. Something else I found that made it overrated is the fact that a lot of people refer to it as an animated movie. I've seen a lot of people make lists of like their Top 10 favorite animated movies, and a lot of the lists I saw included "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" on the list, which I don't think sounds fair, since it's not fully and officially an animated movie. So, you're saying that just because a movie HAS animation in it, that automatically makes it an ANIMATED movie? Very well, then. I guess that means "Twister" is an animated movie too, since the tornadoes were animated with computers. Do you see where I'm getting at here?

    Another thing people get confused about is "The Lion King 2", which a lot claim that it's not really overrated. I actually have a friend who I've asked several times what his current favorite Disney movies were, and a couple times, he put "The Lion King 2" on his list, but not "The Lion King 1". WTF? I've also found several montages of LK2 pictures on YouTube as well as video clips and stuff like that. So, yeah. I guess it is overrated in some ways.

    For those of you who argued on my facts on "Mulan", may I ask you to please read my description again...and read it CAREFULLY.

    Now, for "Toy Story 2", I just asked simply what was it that made this sequel so special that a lot of fans thought it was better than the original "Toy Story"? I've been getting responses like, "It's better than the original, just like Empire Strikes Back and Aliens." *facepalms* That does not explain anything! Yes, I know, you think it's better than the original, but WHY? Eventually, I got a response from someone saying that it was more light-hearted and kid-friendly. Well, maybe there are some people out there who like darker movies better than kid-friendly movies. Take a look at "The Secret of NIMH" series, for example.
    Something else I might want to point out is one of the other things I said about a sequels are almost always indefinately worse than the originals. To clarify this statement, this isn't always the case. I have seen some decent sequels to movies. The prime example people have been given to me is "The Empire Strikes Back". Let me give you my 2 cents on this. "The Empire Strikes Back" is a sequel to "Star Wars: A New Hope". I think the reason this movie turned out to be so superior is because it was intended to be a part of a series. George Lucas was already planning "Empire" while he was working on it's predecessor. He was developing his thoughts, putting together ideas, and doing his best to make sure the movie meets the viewers' expectations. Now, let's look at "Toy Story 2". This movie was not an original plan of Disney. I think they were intending to have "Toy Story" be an independent film, and the reason they made a sequel was because the first "Toy Story" did extremely well in the box office and gathered up a colossal fan base, so they just decided to throw together a sequel because 1) they assume that the fans will love it, and 2) they could make a lot of money off of it.
    Another key point you need to see in sequels to determine if they'd be good or bad is numbers. If the sequel is just the title of the original movie with the number 2 at the end, and no subtitle, chances are, it's probably going to be inferior to the original. So instead of calling his sequel "Star Wars 2", Lucas called it "The Empire Strikes Back", which shows a lot of creative thinking. The same kind of formula would later be used for the "Lord of the Rings" and "Pirates of the Carribean" trilogies.

    Now, for "Tarzan", after rereading it, I have something I'd like to add. You could probably tell by how I pointed out the negatives on it that I find no real redeeming qualities in that film. The only exceptions would be the animation and the music, but the voice acting and the characters aren't all that great.

    In a response to CeliaFett, I do not in any way shape or form, or ever say, that I hated "Aladdin". Didn't you even read my disclaimer at the beginning of the article? Just because I say something is overrated, everybody seems to automatically get the impression that I hate it. If you remember the Angry Video Game Nerd and what he said in his 3-part Batman movie review, he felt that "Batman Begins" was overrated, but he didn't hate the film. As for "Aladdin", I find it to be a solid Disney movie, and I would easily give it a score of 4 stars at least!

    Now, I want to conclude by giving some advice to the articles that you rate. If you see an article of someone expressing their own opinions, deal with it! Everybody has different opinions. What needs to be focused on is how well-written the article is. I mean it's like, "Oh, I'm gonna give this article a thumbs down because I disagree with this guy's opinions!"...NO! DON'T DO THAT! That just shows pure immaturity and unfairness to the author, especially if it's an article that he worked really hard on putting together and had to wait almost a month for it to get broadcasted onto Retrojunk. Don't just give an article a thumbs up just because it's a topic that tickles your memory or a topic that you think is really cool. Take the time to read it, and if you think you might not like it, judge it on how well-written it is. Also, if the author happens to write something that sounds like say...THE ANGRY VIDEO GAME NERD or...THE NOSTALGIA CRITIC...just deal with it. Those articles are made more to focus on the topic. But of course, if it's both of those errors combined, the article has a lot of spelling and grammar errors, and has a severe lack of pictures, THEN you have every right to give it a thumbs down.

    Now, I'm not here to boss you guys around and tell you how you should vote. If you choose to ignore me, fine. That's all just your opinion. I'm just giving you a little handy dandy guide on how to be fair on others. So, peace out, y'all. 8)
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
    • avatar
      • 5 years 11 months ago
      • Posts: 6045
      Gabby Jay: Yay.
      I must enter a signature.
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • 5 years 11 months ago
        • Posts: 5947
        • Account Disabled
        If you're doing this for fun, why are you making a big deal out of us downvoting your stupid article?
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • avatar
          • 5 years 11 months ago
          • Posts: 719
          Because even when you do something for fun, it's not very cool if people criticise it for no valid reason. I worked two full days on my last article and I'd be pretty pissed too if it went to the backpage. Especially when you consider the usual stuff that's on there.

          I still don't really get why your article got such a low score.
          Latest article: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/7494/
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 5 years 11 months ago
            • Posts: 74809
            first off, what made you change you mind after you said "i can no longer write a good article"?
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • avatar
              • 5 years 11 months ago
              • Posts: 1369
              Must be a lot of Tarzan lovers out there.lol
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • avatar
                • 5 years 11 months ago
                • Posts: 73
                I had no problem with your article, dal. I might not have agreed with some, but that's your opinion. It's just the karma of everything. People feel they have to be critical of your work when your critical of theirs.
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • avatar
                  • 5 years 11 months ago
                  • Posts: 925
                  Cosgrove wrote:
                  I had no problem with your article, dal. I might not have agreed with some, but that's your opinion. It's just the karma of everything. People feel they have to be critical of your work when your critical of theirs.


                  Bingo. I didn't have any problems with it either and gave it a thumbs up. The problem seems to me to be just what Cosgrove said. A lot of people will hold a grude about you giving them a thumbs down and give you one back in return for no other reason then that.


                  http://www.moviefancentral.com/tbondrage99

                  My first article was posted on February 29th 2008 (Leap Year!!) :)
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • avatar
                    • 5 years 11 months ago
                    • Posts: 6045
                    It just seems like whenever DL's newest article gets a low score, he has to make a topic about it. :? Like they say, nobody is purrfect.
                    I must enter a signature.
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • 5 years 11 months ago
                      • Posts: 5947
                      • Account Disabled
                      He didn't always explain why the movies were overrated. It was usually a "just because" reason. And putting HSM at number one COMPLETELY strayed away from the retro tradition. It's obviously overrated, and I believe we're all old enough here to realize that.
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • avatar
                        • 5 years 11 months ago
                        • Posts: 83
                        Someone apparantley DOES hold a grudge against me. I mean, it was bad enough that I made two consecutive articles that got sent to the back page. Just now, I made another article which just got approved today, and it seems to be on it's way to the back page as well (but so far, no comments as to why they hate it). This is just really sad.
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • avatar
                          • 5 years 11 months ago
                          • Posts: 2882
                          dalmatianlover wrote:
                          This is just really sad.


                          Oh, i definitely concur.
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • 5 years 11 months ago
                            • Posts: 74809
                            dalmatianlover wrote:
                            Someone apparantley DOES hold a grudge against me. I mean, it was bad enough that I made two consecutive articles that got sent to the back page. Just now, I made another article which just got approved today, and it seems to be on it's way to the back page as well (but so far, no comments as to why they hate it). This is just really sad.


                            I think it might be more than just one person here.

                            And if you don't want people to be overly critical of your articles, don't be overly critical of theirs.
                            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • avatar
                              • 5 years 11 months ago
                              • Posts: 3411
                              • Forum Admin
                              • Editor
                              • Category Admin
                              As stated in a previous thread along these lines, when you say things like:

                              Another one of these? God! I swear if I see one more article about Batman, The Terminator, Star Wars or Skeletor, I am going to give it an automatic thumbs down without even reading it!

                              -------

                              It could end up impacting how others view your own work. If you won't give them a chance, then they won't necessarily give you a chance, either.

                              You've been writing for a long time...You should know that you'll hit rough patches once in a while.
                              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                              • avatar
                                • 5 years 11 months ago
                                • Posts: 2882
                                Baloo wrote:

                                And if you don't want people to be overly critical of your articles, don't write them.


                                That's better.
                                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • 5 years 11 months ago
                                  • Posts: 29
                                  • Account Disabled
                                  Maybe people wouldn't down-vote your articles if you didn't quote AVGN and NC in EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE you write.
                                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • avatar
                                    • 5 years 11 months ago
                                    • Posts: 6045
                                    Yeah, but you know him, and I quote:

                                    "If you find the stuff I say to be similar to what the Angry Video Game Nerd says, live with it."
                                    I must enter a signature.
                                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                      • 5 years 11 months ago
                                      • Posts: 29
                                      • Account Disabled
                                      He's already threatened to down-vote all my articles without reading them if I don't stop calling him out on this. Needless to say, that makes me want to do it even more.
                                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • 5 years 11 months ago
                                        • Posts: 413
                                        • Account Disabled
                                        I'm thinking light blue.
                                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • avatar
                                          • 5 years 11 months ago
                                          • Posts: 3919
                                          Baloo wrote:
                                          dalmatianlover wrote:
                                          Someone apparantley DOES hold a grudge against me. I mean, it was bad enough that I made two consecutive articles that got sent to the back page. Just now, I made another article which just got approved today, and it seems to be on it's way to the back page as well (but so far, no comments as to why they hate it). This is just really sad.


                                          I think it might be more than just one person here.

                                          And if you don't want people to be overly critical of your articles, don't be overly critical of theirs.


                                          Shut up punk, oh wait you you are for good !


                                          [ur
                                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          Search