- 6 years 11 days ago
- Posts: 9769
1. No Excessive flaming, trolling, harassing, or baiting other guests.
Flaming should be self evident, trolling means to make posts or threads for the intended purpose of starting an argument, while baiting is any post intended to make another user resort to flaming. Harassment means following a user or group of users around through multiple threads to flame them, bait them, or otherwise cause them to want to avoid the boards because of a user's actions towards them. A flame every once in awhile may be alright, though.
Harassment of ANYONE can mean a removal from the forums.
2. No excessive cursing, violence, or sexual content
My take on cursing, as long as you're using it in moderation, it's good. However, if you use it in a manner like in one of today's Rap songs, that's a bit too far. Violence and/or sexual content may be deemed illegal however.
3. No hate speech, racial slurs, religious discrimination, sexism, homophobic remarks, etc.
Retro Junk is an open and welcoming community for everyone, and we plan on keeping it that way.
4. No discussion nor promotion of illegal activities, this includes but is not limited to:
* Drug use
* Solicitation of a minor
* Copyright infringement (including the distribution of files such as video game ROMs, CD images of proprietary software, CD keys, warez, and PDFs of commercially available books)
Just because white collar crime is a high thing to look for on the Internet, doesn't mean we stray attention away from the Blue Collar stuff.
5. No Spam, this includes but is not limited to:
* Making threads that have absolutely no constructive purpose whatsoever (such as "Post about anything here!" threads)
* Quote Trains (quoting a quote of a quote of a quote so it forms a long train of nested quotes)
* Continuously bumping your or other threads (minimum threshold should be at least 12 hours)
* VS. threads should be taken to the appropriate user forum
* Posting for the sake of posting and/or to raise your post count
* Spamming links in general to try to get the users to direct traffic off this site and/or to buy things. We are NOT a free advertising service. If you wish to advertise on Retro Junk, contact a super moderator, Vertex, or adventure_of_link, and we'll see about working something out with you.
* Posting online petitions, these DO NOT WORK.
* Your thread not having at least some attempt at a topic in general.
Any thread linking to a commercial site for the express purpose of getting guests to buy things from it will be locked, and the links/e-mails removed.
6. If a moderator/admin locks/edits/deletes/moves/etc. something, don't repost it. Such an action was done for a reason.
Self-explanatory. The exception is when you are given permission by a super moderator/admin to restart/repost it.
7. Post in the correct sections.
The Memory Lane board is for discussing retro topics. Requests is for requesting audio/video files, Video Games are for any discussions relating to video games, etc. If you are unsure where to post, try Chit Chat. If you post in the wrong section, your thread may be moved to the proper forum with or without notification.
8. Do not make duplicate threads.
When you want to make a new thread, do a quick search using the 'search' button at the top of the page. When searching for any given term, make sure to click on 'search for all terms', or you will get pages of unrelated posts. If there is already a thread on that subject, post to it instead of making a new thread. If multiple threads on the same subject are discovered on the front page, the odds are that one of them will be locked. Remember, this forum has been here for years, chances are there's already an existing thread on the subject.
9. Do not create improper usernames, this includes:
* Vulgar usernames
* Usernames that are intentionally copying an existing user for the purpose of trying to trick people into thinking you are that poster
* Anything which breaks any of the rules in general.
Any name that is deemed improper will be modified by the Retro Junk staff as they see fit. If you re-register with the same name after it has been deemed inappropriate, it will be banned outright. If you think the name you are signing up with is kind of iffy, then don't use it.
10. Forbidden/Banned subjects, this includes:
* Sexual Orientation
* Sexual activities in regards to other users
* Goodbye threads
Don't start threads on these topics, or try to pull an existing thread onto these topics. If we find them, they're going to be locked. We're sorry that we have to do this, but these topics are just very touchy for everyone involved, and it's for the better to just not bring them up in the first place.
11. Post in a readable form.
The forums support different colors for posts, but be responsible about it. All of the forums use gray backgrounds, so posts written in Cyan, for example, are extremely difficult to read without highlighting. Use some common sense, if you can't read what you wrote, neither can anybody else.
Also, all of the moderators speak English. Most of the material on Retro Junk is in English (save for the occasional Japanese intro). So, not to be un-PC about things, but we need for everyone to speak English in the forums. We are incapable of moderating posts and threads in languages that none of the mods speak. It is also rude to the other guests, as it leaves them out of the conversation. So please, type in English, even if your English isn't that good. Think of it as a chance to practice.
12. Do not post replies in spambot posts/threads.
If you see a spam bot post please link it in the Error Reporting/Suggestions section of the board (or report it in using the report posts function) and simply let it go. Sometimes we are either not online, maybe we are in another section of the site dealing with something else or simply just away from our computers for a few minutes.
All non moderator replies in spam threads will be deleted.
When you post in the spambots threads it makes it harder for us to do cleanup and you are just contributing to the site(s) getting ranked higher on Google.
You are replying to something that will never reply back and it is considered spam.
13. Post Flagging Guidelines.
Lately we have been getting tons of posts flagged for absolutely no reason other than a difference of opinion. Remember, reporting a post is for posts that actually break the rules. Just because you don't agree with what someone says is not reason to report the post. Please only flag posts when a serious rules infraction happens.
It should be noted that those who abuse the Post Flagging function (or perhaps using it to spam the moderators/admins) may at the very least get their complaints ignored, if not be placed on a temporary ban (for no more than 24 hours.) Remember the fable "The Boy Who Cried Wolf?"
14. Sig guidlines
Basically, as long as it doesn't break either the board formatting and/or the rules and is reasonably sized, it's good. If sigs become a problem, you can disable them by editing your profile and click the disable sigs checkbox.
15. User Forum guidelines
Basically, you need to have at least 500 posts in order to start a user forum. PLEASE try to have some kind of point in it. User forums will be deleted when one or more of the following conditions occur:
* they have been abandoned by the admin
* haven't seen any posts within 60 days of the last post (eg: if a post was made on April 1st, and it's June 1st and there's no replies, chances are it'll be deleted.)
* If we get excessive complaints about a forum
* If a forum is redundant
* If the admin has closed their account
* Almost anything which breaks the rules in general
16. Starting threads meant for adults.
Basically, just place a nice ADULT: before the thread title. We haven't seen much of this anymore, but it's here just to be sure.
NOTE: This is not an excuse to be nasty or anything of that sort, and if people abuse this we will have to try something more extreme. If you're in doubt than ask one of the mods before posting, remember there's no price for questions.
17. Important: Watch This for your own good.
Posting And You[/quote]
18. Ban appeals.
In the past and present, we've had many users (most of them regs, or perhaps somewhat known users) banned. In almost all of these cases, we've had third parties petition appeals for their buddies. From now on, we ask that the banned user, if they wish to appeal a ban, they take it up with a mod in one of the following ways:
1) making an alt and posting wishing to appeal
and/or 2) e-mailing a super mod, adventure_of_link, or perhaps clicking the link that appears when you get the banned message, although that goes directly to Vertex.
We will take your case back into consideration and discuss it. Seriously people, we're over 13 for the most part, and a majority of you here are adults, you all can be big people and speak for yourselves. Please note, if you wish to appeal a ban in a user forum, you should take it up with the mods/admin of that particular forum. Oh, it's already in my profile, but my e-mail is adventure_of_link -at- hotmail dot com
19. Do not post other people's personal information without their consent, this includes:
* Real names
* Home/Work addresses
* Phone Numbers
We are not your personal gang to try and seek revenge or identity theft on someone.
20. Most important of all, have fun.
This stuff all boils down the golden rule anyway, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No