• 5 years 9 months ago
    • Posts: 5947
    • Account Disabled
    naruto_fanatic wrote:
    just fucken get over it already


    oh we already started by not naming ourselves with the word "fanatic" at the end,, thanks for caring though
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • 5 years 9 months ago
      • Posts: 2882
      knuclear200x wrote:
      naruto_fanatic wrote:
      just fucken get over it already


      oh we already started by not naming ourselves with the word "fanatic" at the end,, thanks for caring though


      Careful now. He's so incredibly japanese that he might "kunai" you.
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
        • 5 years 9 months ago
        • Posts: 5947
        • Account Disabled
        Shazbot wrote:
        knuclear200x wrote:
        naruto_fanatic wrote:
        just fucken get over it already


        oh we already started by not naming ourselves with the word "fanatic" at the end,, thanks for caring though


        Careful now. He's so incredibly japanese that he might "kunai" you.


        Here's something japanese right back: "Bazooka"!
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • 5 years 9 months ago
          • Posts: 30
          Anime is horrible. I think the closest I ever came to ever remotely enjoying anime was when I watched Voltron as a kid. That cartoon had a similar animation style.

          But as a general rule, I cannot friggin' stand anime or most of the people who like it. But usually it's young people who like it, and I don't typically spend too much time with young people, so it's no big deal.

          I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that in the 90's anime was shoved down kid's throats until they liked it. Remember the cartoon network when they stopped being a channel to watch classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons and instead started all this "cartoon cartoon" crap.

          Because of this I think, I've noticed a generation gap when it comes to anime. If you were born in the late 80's or 90's, the chances of you liking anime are much greater than if you were born before that. At least that's been my observation.

          Put me down as a proud anime-hater!
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 5 years 9 months ago
            • Posts: 589
            Since my post from last seems to have been skipped over I'll re-post it:

            Well anime at least tries to offer different ideas and storytelling for adults unlike the overblown and repetitive CGI messes that Disney and Dreamworks has given us the last 10 years. Pixar is the ONLY American studios trying to bring us quality animated films anymore. While there have been some western studios have tried to give us more mature films like Waltz with Bashir or Renaissance tend to get only a limited release in theaters (mainly to art houses and major cities). Also as a fan of 2-D traditional animation it is nice to see a county that hasn't abandoned the style or art forum.

            Again the people that think anime "sucks" again point to examples like DBZ, Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, or Naruto that are AIMED AT CHILDREN. Granted these are edited as well and normally poorly dubbed so the casual audiences don't get the full stories or drama.

            Also they tend not to watch shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, or Macross that contain adult situations, action, drama, political intrigue, or humor that I certainly can say that has remained under the radar to most western viewers. Also films like Akira and Paprika that are willing to have gripping stories and challenge the viewer mentally also tend to get thrown to the side because it's Japanese animation but have stories that just as good as any American or western film. Granted there is the foreign element (historical or cultural) that people might not get at first but I personally find I learn more about other cultures by watching there by watching there television and shows which I find interesting and I begin to understand it more each time.

            Certainly anime has it's fair share of crap and is far from perfect, but to be honest we Americans have no right to complain with the amount of crap we given to the world in the last couple of years with cruddy remakes, reality television and other garbage.

            Again it comes down to balance and small doses of ANY genre. I love science fiction, fantasy, horror and animation but I do get burned out and you will start seeing repetitive patterns. It's also best to also look at sites, like Rotten Tomatoes, IGN, Mania, and so on, to see the various opinions that reviewers and fans have to say to give you suggestions for viewing or gaming pleasure. That is one reason why the internet exists.

            There are things I hate but instead of saying "_______ sucks" I try to give people advice and my suggestions for decent or watchable viewing. I try to tell people if a movie is a remake for example and try to encourage them to see the original or give my suggestions for underrated films for example after that it's all that you can do. All the hate/sucks blogs just cause wars that fill up forums with anger and slamming people destroying the reason why RetroJunk.com brought all together in the first place.

            PS
            Yes I do know the irony of me having an anti-Bay Transformers pic in my sig.
            [img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/Gunda
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • 5 years 9 months ago
              • Posts: 74809
              Gundam_Warrior wrote:
              Since my post from last seems to have been skipped over I'll re-post it:

              Well anime at least tries to offer different ideas and storytelling for adults unlike the overblown and repetitive CGI messes that Disney and Dreamworks has given us the last 10 years. Pixar is the ONLY American studios trying to bring us quality animated films anymore. While there have been some western studios have tried to give us more mature films like Waltz with Bashir or Renaissance tend to get only a limited release in theaters (mainly to art houses and major cities). Also as a fan of 2-D traditional animation it is nice to see a county that hasn't abandoned the style or art forum.

              Again the people that think anime "sucks" again point to examples like DBZ, Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, or Naruto that are AIMED AT CHILDREN. Granted these are edited as well and normally poorly dubbed so the casual audiences don't get the full stories or drama.

              Also they tend not to watch shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, or Macross that contain adult situations, action, drama, political intrigue, or humor that I certainly can say that has remained under the radar to most western viewers. Also films like Akira and Paprika that are willing to have gripping stories and challenge the viewer mentally also tend to get thrown to the side because it's Japanese animation but have stories that just as good as any American or western film. Granted there is the foreign element (historical or cultural) that people might not get at first but I personally find I learn more about other cultures by watching there by watching there television and shows which I find interesting and I begin to understand it more each time.

              Certainly anime has it's fair share of crap and is far from perfect, but to be honest we Americans have no right to complain with the amount of crap we given to the world in the last couple of years with cruddy remakes, reality television and other garbage.

              Again it comes down to balance and small doses of ANY genre. I love science fiction, fantasy, horror and animation but I do get burned out and you will start seeing repetitive patterns. It's also best to also look at sites, like Rotten Tomatoes, IGN, Mania, and so on, to see the various opinions that reviewers and fans have to say to give you suggestions for viewing or gaming pleasure. That is one reason why the internet exists.

              There are things I hate but instead of saying "_______ sucks" I try to give people advice and my suggestions for decent or watchable viewing. I try to tell people if a movie is a remake for example and try to encourage them to see the original or give my suggestions for underrated films for example after that it's all that you can do. All the hate/sucks blogs just cause wars that fill up forums with anger and slamming people destroying the reason why RetroJunk.com brought all together in the first place.

              PS
              Yes I do know the irony of me having an anti-Bay Transformers pic in my sig.


              This is the best post ever. Anyone who thinks anime is shit only watches the horribly dubbed stuff on TV.

              Vlyger wrote:
              The company that was responsible for getting me into anime was STREAMLINE PICTURES. I don't care for any modern day anime, but the old-school anime from Streamline will always be my favorite


              Same here.
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • 5 years 9 months ago
                • Posts: 7419
                Gundam_Warrior wrote:
                words
                Excuses, excuses. People are always blaming poor dubbing jobs (few of which exist, at least to the point that the show is that much worse than the source material), that people "don't watch enough animé (like that's a bad thing)," don't watch animé that contains adult situations (because apparently that's all that makes a good show), etc. etc.

                Let people not like it if they don't want to, giving a five paragraph post about why they should like it probably won't change their mind (if they even bother to read it all, I didn't). Whether people are willing to admit it or not, a lot of it's the same. When they had shows like Speed Racer and Lupin III, everything was unique, but now every "new" show is just a clone of something else, with some different theme given to it.

                Also, it's funny you complain about American companies not using traditional animation, when just about all post-1999 animé has been made through computers (not to mention Miyazaki films, which I find highly overrated, use actual CGI). I do respect older animé, though. I'd take Castle of Cagliostro over any one of the thousand Full Metal Alchemist movies any day.
                TMNT wrote:
                Movin` on up!! To the East side Blah blah Blah Movin on up Gaints lol.
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • 5 years 9 months ago
                  • Posts: 154
                  I've never felt so strongly about it.I havent watching enough Anime to say i love it or hate it.
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • 5 years 9 months ago
                    • Posts: 571
                    NintendoPower wrote:
                    I'm sorry to all the people who LOVE anime, but everytime I try to get into it, I can't stand it. And the original Pokemon series from the 90's I don't think counts as anime, but I just don't get it. What's the appeal? Even some "retro" anime shows I hate. Can somebody who loves anime tell me the appeal of characters with weird eyes screaming stuff and shit? Thanks and please don't kill me.


                    Same here, I liked the original pokemon and one or two movies, but that's the extent of it. Other than that to me anime is 20 minutes of graphically appealing garbage. Can't find a decent plot in most of the shows (aside from maybe Ghost in the Shell).
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • 5 years 9 months ago
                      • Posts: 6051
                      • Globally Banned
                      I'm not pale or overweight enough to think that anime is cool.
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • 5 years 9 months ago
                        • Posts: 6
                        Honestly... in highschool kids that watched anime were losers. They had lisps and or some sort of speech impediment and laughed at wierd unfunny things. anywho... Anime to me is selective... I mean honestly everyone has a unique taste in life & everyone has thier own idea of what blows. I say anime is for a certain type of people that i normaly do not conversate with but they like it. but I hate anime... i think its gay.
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                          • 5 years 9 months ago
                          • Posts: 589
                          wrote:
                          Excuses, excuses. People are always blaming poor dubbing jobs (few of which exist, at least to the point that the show is that much worse than the source material), that people "don't watch enough animé (like that's a bad thing)," don't watch animé that contains adult situations (because apparently that's all that makes a good show), etc. etc.

                          Let people not like it if they don't want to, giving a five paragraph post about why they should like it probably won't change their mind (if they even bother to read it all, I didn't). Whether people are willing to admit it or not, a lot of it's the same. When they had shows like Speed Racer and Lupin III, everything was unique, but now every "new" show is just a clone of something else, with some different theme given to it.

                          Also, it's funny you complain about American companies not using traditional animation, when just about all post-1999 animé has been made through computers (not to mention Miyazaki films, which I find highly overrated, use actual CGI). I do respect older animé, though. I'd take Castle of Cagliostro over any one of the thousand Full Metal Alchemist movies any day.


                          1. I don't mind 2-D animation being done on computers. I don't mind different tools but the killing the 2-D style completely is what I'm against. You took me out of context and there is a difference between 3-D/CGI and 2-D animation. It's just like the debate over practical effects vs. GCI in live action films.

                          2. It's fine to not like something but like I say just causing "hate" and continuous pages and forums is quite pointless, all that does is create a destruction to the forum and negative attitudes. Example I don't like wrestling or sports but I don't rant for hours on end and slam people to defend why they like it I let them enjoy and don't start a bandwagon of hate let alone cause flame wars.

                          3. Again I admitted a lot of anime can be crap but to throw into a black and white category is pretty ignorant. And I can't count how Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, DBZ, and Digimon have constantly used as the prime example and height of Japanese animation when it clearly isn't and there are much better shows out there.

                          It's not excuses it's an opinion and I'm just sharing it, so much for a constructive conversation.
                          [img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/Gunda
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • 5 years 9 months ago
                            • Posts: 4806
                            Lyftd wrote:
                            Honestly... in highschool kids that watched anime were losers. They had lisps and or some sort of speech impediment and laughed at wierd unfunny things. anywho... Anime to me is selective... I mean honestly everyone has a unique taste in life & everyone has thier own idea of what blows. I say anime is for a certain type of people that i normaly do not conversate with but they like it. but I hate anime... i think its gay.
                            So...you feel that "animation" is "happy" or that it's "homosexual". I'm sorry, I'm not following you here.

                            ANYWAY, as I said before, Japanese animated shows have different genres to cater to different people. If you like a lot of action, then Gundam might appeal to you. Random, literal stupid comedy with puns, junk like Excel Saga might interest you. Traditional type series, probably something like Rurouni Kenshin my interest you. Just like with books, movies, television shows, comics, etc., there are different genres to appeal to a certain audience. I honestly can't see how anyone can hate "anime" in general when there's so much of it out there, and if you grew up with it and liked it, I don't see how anyone could say they hate it.

                            80s Nickelodeon/Nick Jr. people. If you're like me, you didn't know what anime was, nor did you care...you just liked the shows the channel showed and the stories that went along with them. Isn't that all that should matter anyway?
                            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                              • 5 years 8 months ago
                              • Posts: 2030
                              • Account Disabled
                              I like Anime films... I enjoyed Akira and Ghost in the Shell. I also enjoy it's look in video games.

                              Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, and the like... those are terrible.

                              Also, I think this topic should continue, as long as Naruto Fanatic keeps bitching.
                              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                • 5 years 8 months ago
                                • Posts: 546
                                I like anime, but if somebody doesn't like it who cares.
                                http://www.thespacesheriffblog.com/
                                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • 5 years 7 months ago
                                  • Posts: 170
                                  • Account Disabled
                                  Mezase_Master wrote:
                                  I hate any kind of animé that's, you know, really hardcore in-your-face giant robots and over exaggerated expressions animé. There are very few I like, but the thing is, the shows I do like are the ones that actually stand out from the piles and piles of repetitive crap. Generally, those ones are so good that I never really get tired of them.

                                  People who obsess over animé and think it's infinitely superior to any other form of animation you should certainly avoid. I honestly don't get the appeal of just all Japanese cartoons in general. Most of it's the same thing over and over taking some new theme and setting, hell I've seen plenty of individual shows that are less redundant than multiple animés put together. To each their own, I guess.
                                  I have to agree with you there, " I HATE ANIME ".
                                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                    • 5 years 7 months ago
                                    • Posts: 436
                                    • Account Disabled
                                    I'll always like anime, i love the old stuff and i love the new stuff. Hell, i'm enjoying the new Casshern series currently. The one thing i find funny is the people who say "insert anime of choice" suck usually have never seen it or know so little about it. I had a friend who would always say the fist of the north star series was garbage then i made him watch it and he loves it, go figure.
                                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                      • 5 years 7 months ago
                                      • Posts: 2171
                                      I don't hate all of it, I think some of the animation is really beautifuly done. I don't know if they are considered anime or not but I liked the Unico films and the animation in The Last Unicorn and The Sea Prince And The Fire Child. I can't stand the shows like Pokemon and Dragonball Z and Naruto though.
                                      :)
                                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • 5 years 7 months ago
                                        • Posts: 2638
                                        • Account Disabled
                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=298IrccmQeA&feature=channel_page
                                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          • 5 years 7 months ago
                                          • Posts: 46
                                          The BIGGEST problem with anime in this country is way get the worst of the worst, Pokemon, Dragonball, etc. While truly excellent anime like Grave of the Fireflies, Barefoot Gen, or anything else with a real plot is avoided like the plague.
                                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          Search