• 10 years 2 months ago
    • Posts: 74809
    The 80's were full of kick ass things that have been reproduced into modern crap. Cartoons are crappier (which I won't get into because of previous anime arguments), T.V. shows are crappier, and toys are crappier. I use to wonder up and down the toy aisles and have a choice of tons of kick ass toys to choose from. The best toys of today are remakes of our childhood, and I must say are poorly done. Star Wars figures are done decent, but that's about it. If it wasn't for McFarlaine, toys would suck.(If you consider those toys)

    Most of todays t.v. shows are police dramas or reality shows. I can't hardly find anything to watch on t.v. at night anymore. And if there is a good show, it is usually canceled within a month. (R.I.P. Andy Richter and Oliver Bean) What happend to shows like the wonder years, Quantum Leap, Alf, Cheers, Wings, and MacGyver? What about actually showing videos on MTV.

    Has anyone noticed the whole grain wheat that they put in the cereals these days? Cocoa Puffs, Lucky Charms, and Trix just don't taste like they use to.

    Saturday mornings use to mean watching 4 hours of cartoons with 3 channels to pick from. (not counting Nick or Fox) Now it is hard to find a few cartoons to watch on about 6 channels.

    Does anyone remember the Traper Keeper? Those things were the shit.

    Candy was better, fast food was better ( How can you beat green slime on your ice cream and those California Raisins figures)
    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • 10 years 2 months ago
      • Posts: 249
      true...candy was my thing. 1 cent pink candies with the gum center. Bazookas, jolly ranchers, smarties, sixlets, chico sticks..those were the days.

      I had many trapper keepers. I would always buy a new one for each school year to become more organized. But by the third week of classes my papers were all over in my bookbag anyway
      School shopping was the bomb..you get a fresh set of pencils, pens, notebooks, sharpeners, markers, etc. and end up abandoning half of it by year's end :lol:
      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
      • avatar
        • 10 years 2 months ago
        • Posts: 286
        I know, and 80s toy remakes poorly done? I can say the new Ninja Turtles toys are crap, but look at the GI Joe relaunch (RIP 2002-2004), they spawned kickass figures. Let's just hope the new line (S6) can carry the torch with a good cartoon and toyline to support it. And remember playing your Atari or Nintendo just to beat one game all in one sit-in? I sure do, and I was happy when I beat SMB 1.
        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
          • 10 years 2 months ago
          • Posts: 74809
          Wow, there is so much truth to that!! Not having alot of them is making me feel old, but you know.... and you can't even watch the classics on Nick at Nite or TVLand either because they have been redone. And the toys were amazing quality and could withstand so much, but now we live in a superficial and judgemental age where girls get made fun of for playing with dolls, and boys don't fit in if they don't know about Halo 2... when it used to be fun to play wallball, and basketball and stuff... man, things are sad for this new generation....
          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
            • 10 years 2 months ago
            • Posts: 74809
            while i agree that toys were of better quality back in the 80s [transformer were made of steel and had rubber tires], i don't necessarily think the state of youth today is any worse off than most of us.

            SYSFan wrote:
            but now we live in a superficial and judgemental age where girls get made fun of for playing with dolls, and boys don't fit in if they don't know about Halo 2...


            what? the 80s was the boom of superficiality, mass-consumerism and as far as i recall, there was hella plenty of judgement to be found. i think we just moved from being mocked for not being able to afford alot of these toys to being mocked for playing with them. shit, i still remember when cabbage patch dolls costed 60 wing-wangs a pop. when we all know that their build-price was something like 20 bucks for 10 of 'em. and plenty of young boys didn't fit in if they didn't own alot of gi joe/star wars crap. it was as big a consumer vaccum then as it is now.
            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
              • 10 years 2 months ago
              • Posts: 944
              Well I guess the superficial ways of kids were always there. But I wasn't there in the 80's, so I just know about the really superficial ways of kids now, that promotes the vast amount of consumerism today. Yeah maybe if kids weren't into buying into collectors games like the card games or the "Gotta catch'm all" mindset that Pokemon set out. Then maybe the superficial ways of kids would change. But unfortunately kids only seem find the acceptance and the approval of their peers as the only thing that matters. So they'll ignore the downfall of letting your life be absorbed by the ever changing world of always being on top of the newest fad, and try to collect all the things of a never ending set wasting huge amounts of time and money on something they'll never be able to use once the fad is old. Unless they plan to sell them to some guy who is still interested in them about 50 years later. :roll:

              Kinda sad really :?
              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                • 10 years 2 months ago
                • Posts: 74809
                Kray wrote:
                Yeah maybe if kids weren't into buying into collectors games like the card games or the "Gotta catch'm all" mindset that Pokemon set out.


                i wish people would stop treating children like they are the solitary agents in this. really, it was a bunch of dorks, aged between 25-35, who started this collector epidemic. when they started buying up all the comic book related paraphernalia and movie junk, then hasbro saw a lucrative potential in not targeting children, but the dorkos in the greasy t-shirts who bought this shit, sat on it for a while, then re-sold them on the collector's market [like e-bay] for 10 times its actual value. this bullshit has been going on for a while and i suspect it started sometime at the end of the 80s. george lucas didn't revive star wars so "all the precious children can share the magic and mystery of outerspace". he did it to cater to a bunch of ADULTS who seem to have never been able to leave their childhood behind, and further perpetuating this collector sham. think simpson's comic book dude. now you probably know why i hate these people so much.

                wrote:
                So they'll ignore the downfall of letting your life be absorbed by the ever changing world of always being on top of the newest fad, and try to collect all the things of a never ending set wasting huge amounts of time and money on something they'll never be able to use once the fad is old. Unless they plan to sell them to some guy who is still interested in them about 50 years later.


                welcome to supply and demand. that's what happens when disposable income becomes increasingly available, as it was apparent in the 80s and moving into the 90s. and yes, they will plan to sell this shite well after they grow out of it, because there will always be a market for it.
                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                  • 10 years 2 months ago
                  • Posts: 74809
                  To be honest, I find Maniac Mansion for the NES 100 times more playable than Super Mario Sunshine for GC... in terms of videogames you will have your equal reap of the good and the bad no matter what time period you're focusing on.

                  I guess the companies' and stores' aim to capture the "big kid" audience is more relevant than ever... I wnet into my local videogames store the other day and found The Adventure of Link for the NES for £25... :shock:
                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                    • 10 years 2 months ago
                    • Posts: 74809
                    Heath_2040 wrote:
                    I guess the companies' and stores' aim to capture the "big kid" audience is more relevant than ever... I wnet into my local videogames store the other day and found The Adventure of Link for the NES for £25... :shock:


                    25 fucking quid! now THAT'S a crock of shit [i am referring to the price tag, not doubting your story].
                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                      • 10 years 2 months ago
                      • Posts: 944
                      ahh crap! those last two were mine :roll:
                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                        • 10 years 2 months ago
                        • Posts: 944
                        by the way is Cash Generator a European thing only?
                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                          • 10 years 2 months ago
                          • Posts: 74809
                          Anonymous wrote:
                          Well since Kids were the subject at hand, that would be why kids are the subject of my response.


                          yes, and i was merely responding at the fact that there was a blanket assertion that kids are materialistic now than they were in the past. you don't have to be snotty.

                          wrote:
                          And that would be my point in writing that comment in the first place. My previous post was pretty much a completely rhetorical statement.


                          you know, it's called a conversation.
                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                            • 10 years 2 months ago
                            • Posts: 74809
                            gabba gabba wrote:
                            Heath_2040 wrote:
                            I guess the companies' and stores' aim to capture the "big kid" audience is more relevant than ever... I wnet into my local videogames store the other day and found The Adventure of Link for the NES for £25... :shock:


                            25 fucking quid! now THAT'S a crock of shit [i am referring to the price tag, not doubting your story].


                            Innit. £25 is around $40-50.... I don't have a Cash Generator nearby, but i do have a Cash Converters, which persistently succeed in ripping me off, so I stick to shopping at gamestation (though with prices such as the above it's a wonder I go there at all...). Maybe it was sat on by Shigeru Miyamoto or something to make it extra special... then again, some of the staff there can be unsavoury at times, so it's possible that such a high pricing upon a NES game, for crying out loud, is a mark of their complete and utter lack of compassion. Cretins.[/quote]
                            Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                              • 10 years 2 months ago
                              • Posts: 944
                              gabba gabba wrote:
                              Anonymous wrote:
                              Well since Kids were the subject at hand, that would be why kids are the subject of my response.


                              yes, and i was merely responding at the fact that there was a blanket assertion that kids are materialistic now than they were in the past. you don't have to be snotty.

                              wrote:
                              And that would be my point in writing that comment in the first place. My previous post was pretty much a completely rhetorical statement.


                              you know, it's called a conversation.


                              Well since you were only quoting mine and your post sounded as if you were criticizing it, I saw it as a focussed retort to my post. If it was sounding snotty I apologize, but seriously, I was merely stating my reasoning behind the post you quoted. I wasn't trying to focus on you, and I would be fine with continuing the conversation instead of making another post like this one.
                              Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                • 10 years 2 months ago
                                • Posts: 944
                                Heath_2040 wrote:
                                gabba gabba wrote:
                                Heath_2040 wrote:
                                I guess the companies' and stores' aim to capture the "big kid" audience is more relevant than ever... I wnet into my local videogames store the other day and found The Adventure of Link for the NES for £25... :shock:


                                25 fucking quid! now THAT'S a crock of shit [i am referring to the price tag, not doubting your story].


                                Innit. £25 is around $40-50.... I don't have a Cash Generator nearby, but i do have a Cash Converters, which persistently succeed in ripping me off, so I stick to shopping at gamestation (though with prices such as the above it's a wonder I go there at all...). Maybe it was sat on by Shigeru Miyamoto or something to make it extra special... then again, some of the staff there can be unsavoury at times, so it's possible that such a high pricing upon a NES game, for crying out loud, is a mark of their complete and utter lack of compassion. Cretins.
                                [/quote]

                                $ 50 ?! Yikes! I see the things at garage sales for $ 10 with all their games. Of course I also buy them when I do.

                                So is this Cash Converters or Cash Generator stores that are exclusive to Europe or something?

                                Gaming systems like the NES are awesome! I found both an Atari 2600 with 10 games and 4 controllers, and an NES with 5 games and 2 controllers, for 15 bucks at a garage sale. I never go to stores anymore. :roll: I even buy the new systems and games off of people who already bought them like the Game Cube, Gameboy SP, and the Dreamcast. I don't like stores anymore since I'm tired of shopping around for a good price.
                                Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                  • 10 years 2 months ago
                                  • Posts: 74809
                                  Kray wrote:
                                  Heath_2040 wrote:
                                  gabba gabba wrote:
                                  Heath_2040 wrote:
                                  I guess the companies' and stores' aim to capture the "big kid" audience is more relevant than ever... I wnet into my local videogames store the other day and found The Adventure of Link for the NES for £25... :shock:


                                  25 fucking quid! now THAT'S a crock of shit [i am referring to the price tag, not doubting your story].


                                  Innit. £25 is around $40-50.... I don't have a Cash Generator nearby, but i do have a Cash Converters, which persistently succeed in ripping me off, so I stick to shopping at gamestation (though with prices such as the above it's a wonder I go there at all...). Maybe it was sat on by Shigeru Miyamoto or something to make it extra special... then again, some of the staff there can be unsavoury at times, so it's possible that such a high pricing upon a NES game, for crying out loud, is a mark of their complete and utter lack of compassion. Cretins.


                                  $ 50 ?! Yikes! I see the things at garage sales for $ 10 with all their games. Of course I also buy them when I do.

                                  So is this Cash Converters or Cash Generator stores that are exclusive to Europe or something?

                                  Gaming systems like the NES are awesome! I found both an Atari 2600 with 10 games and 4 controllers, and an NES with 5 games and 2 controllers, for 15 bucks at a garage sale. I never go to stores anymore. :roll: I even buy the new systems and games off of people who already bought them like the Game Cube, Gameboy SP, and the Dreamcast. I don't like stores anymore since I'm tired of shopping around for a good price.


                                  I think Cash Converters and Cash Generators are UK stores, I'm not sure, but only CG is worth using as what Cash Converters usually sell is complete crap and they'll offer you really bad prices on trade-ins (five years ago I was offered £10 (about $16-$20) for my Game Boy Color, a system I'd shelled out £70 for about 2 years before, and the guy had the decency to tell me that the low offer was due to a scratch on the screen, a scratch which to my eyes was perfectly invisible... arsehole). In my opinion, you're better off looking on Ebay, as you'll find stuff there which you'd never dream of finding in these trade-in stores. Hella cheap, too.

                                  Seriously though, $15?! :shock: Good buy! Whoever you bought the gear off must've been stupid for selling them at that price, but on the buyer's side I don't think you'd be looking for a better deal. I agree with you on staying away from large stores and chains as you're definitely likely to pick up more for less if you buy second-hand. I bought a NES over ebay last summer (it'd been about 10 years since I last played one for real!) with ten games, four controllers, a game genie (crap, it has to be said) and a NES Advantage pad for £37 (about $60 odd). Not a bad deal in my opinion; I could've got it for less, but I was kinda desperate by that point :D
                                  Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                    • 10 years 2 months ago
                                    • Posts: 944
                                    lol :lol: I think he was just uninformed, and a little desprate to get rid of it. His kid moved to college or something and he was moving so I got it fo rwhat I wanted :P Yeah it's always a risk to try and buy something second hand but I'm good at spotting superficial things like a minor scratch or scrape that decrease the price and don't affect the functionability (can't think of a better word) at all. So I'm used to buying stuff second hand. I don't trust Ebay and other internet sales stuff because you don't get to see the product before it gets to you after you buy it. Not bad with the $ 60 on the NES set I'dve jumped on that one in a heartbeat! :P

                                    What were some other things that were good in the 80's?
                                    Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                      • 10 years 2 months ago
                                      • Posts: 74809
                                      Heath_2040 wrote:

                                      Innit. £25 is around $40-50.... I don't have a Cash Generator nearby, but i do have a Cash Converters, which persistently succeed in ripping me off, so I stick to shopping at gamestation (though with prices such as the above it's a wonder I go there at all...). Maybe it was sat on by Shigeru Miyamoto or something to make it extra special... then again, some of the staff there can be unsavoury at times, so it's possible that such a high pricing upon a NES game, for crying out loud, is a mark of their complete and utter lack of compassion. Cretins.


                                      cash converters: straight outta satan's bumhole

                                      honestly, i never understood their pricing system and it wasn't just things like nes games, but useless shit, such as a remote box from ge circa 1982 for 50 bucks.
                                      Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                        • 10 years 2 months ago
                                        • Posts: 74809
                                        gabba gabba wrote:
                                        Heath_2040 wrote:

                                        Innit. £25 is around $40-50.... I don't have a Cash Generator nearby, but i do have a Cash Converters, which persistently succeed in ripping me off, so I stick to shopping at gamestation (though with prices such as the above it's a wonder I go there at all...). Maybe it was sat on by Shigeru Miyamoto or something to make it extra special... then again, some of the staff there can be unsavoury at times, so it's possible that such a high pricing upon a NES game, for crying out loud, is a mark of their complete and utter lack of compassion. Cretins.


                                        cash converters: straight outta satan's bumhole

                                        honestly, i never understood their pricing system and it wasn't just things like nes games, but useless shit, such as a remote box from ge circa 1982 for 50 bucks.


                                        I think they're still selling Acorns for about 100 quid a time. I wouldn't be too surprised... though, truth be told, sometimes you might find a decent CD within their racks. About one per year, though.
                                        Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          • 10 years 2 months ago
                                          • Posts: 74809
                                          Heath_2040 wrote:
                                          though, truth be told, sometimes you might find a decent CD within their racks. About one per year, though.


                                          wow. that frequent?
                                          Are you sure you want to delete this post? Yes | No
                                          Search
                                          Users Online